Asik vs. Faverani

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Asik vs. Faverani

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Once Fav plays good defense, he becomes better than Asik.

But that remains to be seen.

I think everybody here knows Fav has not played a single regular season game. 

Pressey will be a good backup PG for a long time.

But he's never going to be a starting PG in the NBA.

Babb will get cut.

I hope you'll be man enough to give me credit for telling you Babb is now worth keeping.

I have yet to see Fav not play decent defense, he has been very good positional defender and team defender, Coach Stevens has pointed him out as being the voice of the defense calling stuff out for his teammates and putting them in position.  The team is young, new to each other and not particularly great right now, Fav is not a leaper or very explosive but he puts his body in between himself and the basket.  When I look at the Celtics I see a team similar to the Spurs, they play team defense to overcome any deficiencies in athleticism, Fav is cut in that mold.

Pressey will be the back up point guard on this team because we have an all star who will play ahead of him in Rondo, one day he could be the starting point guard for a team if he continues to learn and grow, stop trying to sound so sure of yourself when you only have opinion to back yourself up.

Babb might very well be cut or sent down to the D League, he is a project player, but if he learns the intricacies on the NBA he could be a very good to great player one day, he could also make the opening day roster.  I don't claim to be the expert that you are.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Fav played 28 minutes against the Nets in the final preseason game and had 6 blocks, that's good defense.  Why is a regular season game so different from the final preseason tune up, it's not.

If Babb gets shelved on the Celtics it's because the Celtics are in the position of having to showcase certain players for trade and hide players they want to keep.  The started Telfair over Rondo in 06', they started Gomes at power forward and sat Leon Powe, they wouldn't play Al Jefferson and Perk together... there is a history of this.

Why don't we wait for the regular season to begin before we insist who is right, since I don't claim to be an expert like you we'll have to wait and see.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I agree, Wozzy, that fav is a nice player and I like him.  It seems like a lot of those blocks were Blatche trying to take the ball inside...something he isn't very good at.  Having Blatche in the post can make any center defending him look like dikembe motumbo.  Maybe he'll get 7 when we play orlando (baby.)

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

What???

6 blocks in the preaseason makes you a good defender?

Are you forgetting that the Nets just used their 2nd and 3rd stringers in that game?

When the regular season starts, it will be Brook Lopez or KG that Fav will be facing!

Seriously, 6 blocks in the preseason against the 2nd and 3rd stringers and you automatically become a good defender?

Wow!

No, what I and others see with our own two eyes makes him a good defender including his coach, the regular season begins soon enough, be prepared to backtrack and fumble on your rebuttal.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

We still talking about Asik? a role player for another team. Not a star but a role player.. He is a softee..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

yup

I'm really surprised with the footwork.  First noticed it a couple of weeks ago when he lefty dunked on the break from a SLIGHTLY awkward under the basket position.  Dead run to lefty dunk for a huge man is encouraging.  The post presence you mentioned is noteworthy.  Watch how he catches and gets his elbows and body oriented into a good offensive posture immediately; no wasted motion, nothing tentative.  When you can combine that with shooting it can be devastating.  He has a LONG way to go and there will be nghts he gets tortured by really skilled big men but I think he is a great addition.  I think Asic is a legit starter already but  it's a wash in the big picture.  The best thing for Fav and for the team is for him to gain experience and have good nights and bad nights and learn what is required for him to be successful in the NBA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondorondo. Show hondorondo's posts

Independent thoughts:

1) I wonder if having Vitor add 15 lbs could make him an even better lane defender (or would it take away his quickness)?

2) I don't think we can play Sully and KO together -- neither has that much quickness.

3) If Green doesn't show that he is ready to roll in the first 15 games, trade him AND any combination of players (except KO, Sully, Rondo, Pressey, or Fav) and get a player in the last year of his contract that has guts, desire, and can play. If it pans out, we can pay him what he wants for next year and if it doesn't, we did not lose much to begin with. I'm sure I am being too idealistic about the notion that a team with a good player wants our scrapheap but what do you think?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Comparing Fav to Asik right now is naive and sophmoric.  

You are making comments based on him playing against second and third string centers in one or two preseason games.  

Lets see how he does in his first few real NBA games when playing against Lopez, Hibbert, Chandler, Noah, Monroe or Drummand (just in the east) and other legit NBA starting centers, including Asik.  My bet is that he will get eaten up... badly.  IF he starts, he will be the worst starting center in the entire NBA this season.

I think it will take him 2-3 years to become competitive, and an adequate backup center.  But I too believe that he has potential and I hope he is all that some of you project even earlier.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to shines01's comment:

yup

I'm really surprised with the footwork.  First noticed it a couple of weeks ago when he lefty dunked on the break from a SLIGHTLY awkward under the basket position.  Dead run to lefty dunk for a huge man is encouraging.  The post presence you mentioned is noteworthy.  Watch how he catches and gets his elbows and body oriented into a good offensive posture immediately; no wasted motion, nothing tentative.  When you can combine that with shooting it can be devastating.  He has a LONG way to go and there will be nghts he gets tortured by really skilled big men but I think he is a great addition.  I think Asic is a legit starter already but  it's a wash in the big picture.  The best thing for Fav and for the team is for him to gain experience and have good nights and bad nights and learn what is required for him to be successful in the NBA.

Well said. I think if Vitor is going to make an impact it will be sooner than later,he seems to be a  quick learner.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Babb might very well be cut or sent down to the D League, he is a project player, but if he learns the intricacies on the NBA he could be a very good to great player one day, he could also make the opening day roster.  I don't claim to be the expert that you are.

Considering it wasn't my insistence that he would make the opening day roster but rather might one day become a solid player it isn't surprising that Babb got cut.  I still think they'll send him to Maine in the D league, he will continue to grow and will join the team later in the season.  I can't see into the future like you.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I also suggested he might start the season in the D league in the same thread, if he is on the Celtic's developmental squad he is still on the team. 

There is also the possiblity another team may sign him or he may make more money playing in Europe so you may turn out to be right. 

Stop trying to win an argument on a technicality, I never said he would "make the opening day roster," you said he wouldn't. 

I said he would make the team and eventually be a good player.  You trying to pin me down as saying he would be on the opening day roster is a non sequitur and a falsehood.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

When he gets cut by the Maine Redclaws, assuming he goes there, I'll pat you on the back for being right.

Sections
Shortcuts