Austin Rivers...just ain't that good!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Austin Rivers...just ain't that good!

OK, I know he's only a freshmen and will get better with time. However I have watched him in mostly all the Duke games this year and I just don't see what all the hype is about. I've seen him against weaker compeitition and top D-1 competition and I didn't see a guy who is hyped as the top freshmen in the country.

He doesn't move much on offense. His defense is lacking. He gets i foul trouble. His shot is decent but he doesn't work hard enough to get the ball. A fairly good defender would frustrate him.

The best freshmen to me are Zeller from Indiana and Anthony Davis for Kentucky. They are head and shoulders better than Rivers.....right now.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Austin Rivers...just ain't that good!

His daddy....  just ain't that good either.

Decent... yea.

Good???? Maybe.

Great???? Not hardly.

Way too nice a guy.

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

he's 18 years old, I think he needs more time to grow physically, and mentally. He's making a lot of mental errors during games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to Austin Rivers...just ain't that good!:
    [QUOTE]OK, I know he's only a freshmen and will get better with time. However I have watched him in mostly all the Duke games this year and I just don't see what all the hype is about. I've seen him against weaker compeitition and top D-1 competition and I didn't see a guy who is hyped as the top freshmen in the country. He doesn't move much on offense. His defense is lacking. He gets i foul trouble. His shot is decent but he doesn't work hard enough to get the ball. A fairly good defender would frustrate him. The best freshmen to me are Zeller from Indiana and Anthony Davis for Kentucky. They are head and shoulders better than Rivers.....right now.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

never seen the kid...but i hope your assessment is

is spot on...because he'll...remain in school...

atleast until he compltes his junior year to further develop his game...

unlike bradley who...foolishly...came out way too early...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to Re: Austin Rivers...just ain't that good!:
    [QUOTE]he's 18 years old, I think he needs more time to grow physically, and mentally. He's making a lot of mental errors during games.
    Posted by myaim45[/QUOTE]

uh...."... to grow physically..."....uh...

yes , lord ...we see what you mean...

and of courase...uh....mentally...is, uh...cute....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I've already said he not that good, and he's not 6' 4" either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

How about we give it another month or two?  Then we can make some real assessments.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronnie0729. Show ronnie0729's posts

puddinpuddin you're not good at all

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]puddinpuddin you're not good at all
    Posted by ronnie0729[/QUOTE]

Rotten to the core.

Not nice either.

Pud

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Judgement should be withheld until the freshman year is nearly over.  Speculation is ok, but I think the jury of his coaches and peers and scouts will decide after he's through most of his freshman year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Doc was a 12 point, 6.5 assist, 3 rebound, 2 steal 45% from the field, 80% from the line, very good defensive combo guard who couldn't shoot 3's all that well during his 10 year prime age 23-32.

If his son turns into that, likely with better range/hops and less defense.... then he will easily be worth a pick in the teens.

That is someone who can be your 3rd-4th best player on a middle of the pack team and a 5th-6th best player on a contender.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

As I recall 'Nique was always dropping 30 and Kevin Willis was a 15-17 point, 9-11 rebound guy in the late 80's. Doc was the 3rd best player.

Had he been there 5th best player the Hawks would have been more than a 2nd rd playoff team.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Hmm...I think that is what the Rockets and Trail Blazers said about a young guard out of NC several years ago. 

AR has so much talent and upside it is unreal. It is also important to remember that he is playing in coach K's system (not exactly conducive to great one on one play).

If he stays healthy and maintains his work ethic and love for the game, he will be a great NBA player!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]That's why there's a chance the Celts end up with Austin Rivers, because he's not that good yet. If he's as good as Jeremy Lamb then there's no way we're going to get him.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Jeremy Lamb is Tayshaun Prince/Rip Hamilton, the 2nd or 3rd best player on a contender

Austin likely just has a career as a 4th or 5th best player.

What is his ceiling, realistically?

You'd think it would be Monta Ellis, Dell Curry, Jeff Malone or Byron Scott

All worthy of top 10 picks

Who will he likely have a career like?

Sedale Threatt
    Bobby Jackson
    David Wesley
    Danny Ainge
    Nick Van Exel
    Dana Barros
    Robert Pack
    Tony Delk
    Keyon Dooling

Probably one of those guys, all worthy of picks in the teens or 20's

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I care more about if he's the next Tony Delk (ugh) or Byron Scott (awesome) than I do that he gets paired with his father...jeez

kinda sure we can't waste one of these picks in a real deep draft

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Austin Rivers...just ain't that good! : Sorry rame, the NBA is sports entertainment. Like TNT's slogan, "We know drama." Once Austin is available when the Celts are on the board, there's no doubt Ainge will grab him.
    I don't think season ticket holders are going to happy with a waisted pick on Austin Rivers just for "entertainment" purposes.  Always pick the best player on the board.  Your rationale for Austin to the Celtics is flawed.  This is a business that entertain, nothing like the WWE.  Im a wrestling fan, but don't get it twisted. As a Celtics fan, Austin on the Celtics wouldn't mean crap if he can't play.  The 90s was enough dead time and I would be very unhappy to waist a pick if there is someone better who can make an impact and help get the team into the playoffs or a better seed in the playoffs.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Austin Rivers...just ain't that good! : Sorry rame, the NBA is sports entertainment. Like TNT's slogan, "We know drama." Once Austin is available when the Celts are on the board, there's no doubt Ainge will grab him.

Ainge will work the players out and make his board and if a player he ranks higher than Austin is there as well Ainge better grab the player he feels will be better and not the one who is related to his coach

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Austin Rivers...just ain't that good! : Outside the top 10 there are only 2 or 3 players ahead of Austin Rivers in the rankings. So if our picks end up somewhere between 15-20, there's no doubt Ainge will draft Austin Rivers. 

Austin Rivers most likely will not come out til after his 2nd year!!  It's not like he needs the money!!

Sections
Shortcuts