Avery Bradley playing contract basketball?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Avery Bradley playing contract basketball?

He's been taking bad shots for quite a few games now.Pressing for stats? But my biggest gripe has been his terrible passes into the post. And his NOT PASSING it to a big who has sealed his man when there was no reason NOT TO!

Kells last night and Fav the game before.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Re: Avery Bradley playing contract basketball?

That contract is not looking good at the moment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

AB is not good with the ball...period. Why both Doc and Stevens have attempted to force feed him into a PG at times is beyond me. He has a hard time dribbling the ball with his head up..

Even his 1on1 defense has looked shabby, over playing and getting beat off the dribble.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

AB is playing BAD contract basketball right now.  But, the good thing is, this is a long season and hopefully he can turn it around.

I cannot understand what he did during the offseason.  Again, it's early but it doesn't appear that AB worked to improve his ball-handling, passing or shooting skills.  Technically, his shot looks great (the mechanics) but it's way too inconsistent.  He seems very tentative making a simple post entry pass.  He appears to see it but is hesitant to make the entry pass into the post.  He then makes the easy swing pass to the other side of the court.

Whether or not he's playing out of position, you would still expect an improvement which is not evident.  I hope he settles in and becomes more productive once Rondo returns.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

His release looks good, but his timing is bad.  He doesn't get the fluid motion that transfers the push from his feet to his release.  It's like he jumps, peaks, and then shoots.

It strikes me the c's may be trying to sabotage him so that they can pick him back up on the cheap.  That's the only reason I can see to make him do the things they have him doing.

That and tanking, of course. 

Bradley will still have good value as a lock down defender at the 1 or 2 spot.  He has even proven to guard the biggest 2's like dwade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

You guys are too harsh. AB is a decent ball handler, decent passer, bad on the ball decision maker. He just doesn't have Rondo's court vision or creativity (nobody really does).

AB can knock down shots. He is an excellent defender by denying the ball, holding star players to below average shooting percentages and creating turnovers. That last part is huge. People say rebouding wins games or three point shooting wins games. I think its forced turnovers (Cue the Pitino jokes). Avery takes advantage of momentary lapses in judgement and energy, steals the ball and finishes for a hoop. That is a momentum shifter. That cements leads and gives his team hope.

He CAN knock down that jump shot. Off the ball movement, corner threes and knocking down shots off the pick needs to be his only focus on offense. You can see him do well when its Crawford, Green or Wallace initiating the offense. Just wait until Rondo returns, we will see Avery's shooting percentage and attempts rise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

R9R, I agree that AB can knock down shots.  He just doesn't do it in a consistent manner (see 4th quarter last night - two completely open corner 3-pointers weren't close).  And when Rondo returns, I do hope to see his shooting percentage improve but I shutter to think his attempts will rise too.  He shoots too much NOW as inconsistent as he is.

He took 8 shots last night and if he hits ONE 3-pointer, he has a very respectable 11 points and 6 rebound game.  He's averaging 12 shots per game while his % is only 37.7%.  That's horrible.

And I don't mean to be harsh.  I thought I was being honest.  IMO, AB has played like a energy player off the bench.  His defense has even been questionable.  He fouled out the first two games with several fouls of the "stupid" variety.

I like AB but I think DA did the right thing in not extending him now.  He has to prove himself to be more than a defensive player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Crawford and Pressey are finally playing the point as I suggested.

Bradley will be gone after this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

The AB experiment should be over.He is not a point guard,he too small for a 2 guard,he can not score well.He should be used as a stopper at special situation.He tries hard,give him credit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

AB is still better than Derek Fisher was in his prime. I'm not trying to dog him. I just want him to be a Joe Dumars all-star when Derek Fisher in his prime is just fine by me.

I see I'm not the only one a little dissappointed in his play(as in decision making) though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

It looks as though he's trying to develop his jumpshot off the dribble in games instead of in practice 1st.

Only two things I don't like right now with Avery.

1. Low shooting percentage

2. Passing

I thought he was going to improve the passing over the summer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

R9R, I agree that AB can knock down shots.  He just doesn't do it in a consistent manner (see 4th quarter last night - two completely open corner 3-pointers weren't close).  And when Rondo returns, I do hope to see his shooting percentage improve but I shutter to think his attempts will rise too.  He shoots too much NOW as inconsistent as he is.

He took 8 shots last night and if he hits ONE 3-pointer, he has a very respectable 11 points and 6 rebound game.  He's averaging 12 shots per game while his % is only 37.7%.  That's horrible.

And I don't mean to be harsh.  I thought I was being honest.  IMO, AB has played like a energy player off the bench.  His defense has even been questionable.  He fouled out the first two games with several fouls of the "stupid" variety.

I like AB but I think DA did the right thing in not extending him now.  He has to prove himself to be more than a defensive player.

[/QUOTE]

valid points.

Personally, I tell both Avery and Jeff to take every shot they are given. Who cares if they miss? Both Avery and Jeff have been on a team the last couple years where they were much lower on the pecking order to take shots because their teamates were excellent shooters.

I dont think Avery or Jeff are in danger of becoming a Monta Ellis. I want Avery to take a ton of shots. He is a smart enough guy and good enough player to start making them and to learn to become more efficient over time. I just think both guys need volume in order to obtain a scorers mentality. 

Plus, once Rondo returns, they looks will get better and the % wil increase.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

AB is still better than Derek Fisher was in his prime. I'm not trying to dog him. I just want him to be a Joe Dumars all-star when Derek Fisher in his prime is just fine by me.

I see I'm not the only one a little dissappointed in his play(as in decision making) though.

[/QUOTE]

AB doesnt reach DF's shoelaces when he was in his prime or any other time. Other than a month or so back a couple seasons ago, AB hasnt even proven himself a starter, let alone a good ball player. Hes got a long way to go whereas DF has proven himself a good player and a bigtime clutch shooter in the playoffs..  No comparison at this point imo 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Karl, you must not remember how bad DF was on defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

AB is too small.

Should have stayed another year in college

Was hurt his entire first year

Will be a rotation guard

Will NEVER be in the game in the 4th Q on a championship team

Defense and energy are for quarters 2 and 3

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

As long as he can hit the corner three he can play in the 4th.  He just can't have the ball in his hands.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Crawford and Pressey are finally playing the point as I suggested.

Bradley will be gone after this year.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.  But so will Crawford and Pressey.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

Sorry, but Bradley looks awful. To his credit, he works hard on D, but that seems to be alL he has. No offensive talent, not a great bball IQ. Not even sure he can be another Bruce Bowen, who was a tough smart player...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

If he is playing for a contract, the cs are going to get a good deal. With his defense hes probably a 5-6 mill per year player, if he can score 12-14 that would prob put him around 7-8 mill per year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

He had a few good games for us a year or so ago.  He can not see the open bigs because his eyes are on the goal, you know it is his time to shoot, and he does not shoot that great, but again we are looking for a leader and he has decided to lead us to the basement.

Sections
Shortcuts