AVERY BRADLEY... The man everyone is forgetting about

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antoinew. Show antoinew's posts

AVERY BRADLEY... The man everyone is forgetting about

Going into this offseason, one of the Celtics biggest needs in restructuring their roster was to bring in a nice wing player who can score and also help spell some minutes for the aging duo of Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, who throughout the playoffs looked gassed for quarters and even games at a time.

So, at the start of free agency the fans and media of the green all had every mid-level priced Free Agent wing on their radars, waiting to see who the Celtics would grab to fill that role for next season's championship run. Guys like John Salmons, Matt Barnes, Josh Childress, Mike Miller, Kyle Korver and even to a lesser degree guys like, Ryan Gomes, Antoine Wright, and James Jones were at one time or another mentioned as possible aquisitions.

But as the Free Agency period has pressed on, the Celtics have lost out on all those guys and have only brought back Marquise daniels as a possible fill for this slot, leaving most of the fans and local media squirming uncomfortably in their seats that this is the Celtics idea of an answer, having already witnessing Quissy's struggles offensively last season after his injury(these same people apparently forgetting that he was pretty good before this injury though)

Well I say to these uncomforted fans, "Rest Easy!" The Celtics already have the perfect guy for this bench scoring spot on their roster. A man they aquired on June 28th and signed July 2nd. A man who coming out of high-school just one year ago was rated higher than John Wall. A man who many have already forgotten even before they've seen him play. A man who because of a slight ankle injury was unable to play in the Summer League and thus has kept some anonimity with you all. A man. . .  yeah i know this is annoying already.  .  . A man by the name of, AVERY BRADLEY!!!!

No rousing applause?

Well watch this:
         http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/draft-preview-avery-bradley/12tt27y9

Avery Bradley is a 6'2" guard who can shoot from the outside, slash to the basket, plays GREAT defense, and can even play some point if needed. Think of Russell Westbrook with a consistant jumper. And i know what you're saying, Yes he's too small to spell Pierce, so part of this equasion doesn't quite fit. But with Bradley, a great scorer, coming off the bench at the 2-spot, that allows a lesser player(Marquise) to spell Paul at the 3 -spot, and all he has to do is worry about focusing on D. Whatever offense comes from Quissy is gravy.

So to all you people out there who think the Celtics have failed this offseason in rebuilding their bench to a higher level. Just wait until you see Bradley play to make your final decisions on this team. This kid could be the next great Celtic, and nobody's even talking about him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Re: AVERY BRADLEY... The man everyone is forgetting about

There have been a number of us on this site who have been discussing him quit a bit. Several of us are looking forward to see him play this preseason. I've seen other footage of him also. This young man reminds me defensively of Tony Allen before Tony's knee injuries. He can block shots at the rim. For a 6'3 guard, that's saying something. Reports say that his outside shot is subpar. However in this video and others I've seen, it looks like he has good form and good rotation on his shot. He may not be a good 3 point shooter, but he appears to be a good mid-range shooter. A guard with his speed and ability to finish at the basket only needs a dependable mid-range shot to keep the defense honest. If Rondo could hit his 15 to 17 foot jumper consistently, it would keep the defense honest.
       At 6'2 or 6'3, if he plays stellar defense, he will be able to guard 6'5 and 6'6
     2 guards effectively.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Let's hope he'll be able to contribute asap and let's hope he won't be kept on the bench like Bill Walker, Giddens and so on. We could use his game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Bradley is too short to be a 2. He is 6'3" w/shoes. He might make a good pg but he is going to rot on the bench playing behind Rondo and Robinson. He won't ever see the light of day being on the Celtics roster. My guess is that he will be traded for basically nothing in about 2 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

ainge's draft gems have been few and far between. i don't have much trust in danny's ability to evaluate college players and draft wisely. he hit on rondo, granted, but that's been about it.  no one else ever sticks. and we make big mistakes in trading away young talent like walker, who actually could have spelled PP and given rondo a running-mate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Most rookies don't play b/c the don't know how to play defense.  That and quickness are his strengths.  I think he will see some meaningful minutes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

I'm just not sure how Bradley will play much as a backup PG with Nate here. Unless Doc runs some "3 guard sets/rotations", I don't see how he gets any playing time.

Unless he can spell Ray Allen as the shooting guard, and play along with Nate as PG in the second unit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I absolutely see him playing the 3 guard especially when they want to run. If his D is as advertized they can use him in some spots where Robinson's D might be dangerous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

He is Tony Allen with a jumpshot.  I have been saying for weeks they want him to take TA's mins.

And who mentioned Giddens?  He is out of a job right now - that's why he didn't play.  Walker will play in NY because they don't play D.

If the kid can defend, he will play.  Period!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

In Response to Re: AVERY BRADLEY... The man everyone is forgetting about:
    He is Tony Allen with a jumpshot.  I have been saying for weeks they want him to take TA's mins. And who mentioned Giddens?  He is out of a job right now - that's why he didn't play.  Walker will play in NY because they don't play D. If the kid can defend, he will play.  Period!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

Tony Allen with a jumpshot? That's interesting. I never seen Bradley play but, he would have some big shoes to fill defensively, especially guarding Kobe, LeBron, Melo, and other great swingmen in the league. At 6-2/3, he's just too small.

He's better off spelling Ray or running 3 guard sets like I mentioned earlier.

He would get ABUSED by the bigger swingmen in the league.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

In Response to Re: AVERY BRADLEY... The man everyone is forgetting about : Tony Allen with a jumpshot? That's interesting. I never seen Bradley play but, he would have some big shoes to fill defensively, especially guarding Kobe, LeBron, Melo, and other great swingmen in the league. At 6-2/3, he's just too small. He's better off spelling Ray or running 3 guard sets like I mentioned earlier. He would get ABUSED by the bigger swingmen in the league.
    Posted by Waynestarr

Joe Dumars was short for a 2 guard and jordan called him the toughest defender he had to face.. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

In Response to Re: AVERY BRADLEY... The man everyone is forgetting about : Joe Dumars was short for a 2 guard and jordan called him the toughest defender he had to face.. 
    Posted by jrmccook

Maybe so, but I doubt Bradley has the defensive capabilities of guarding a Kobe, a LeBron, a Melo, etc.

He's never defended NBA top level talent yet.

But I can also recall Michael Jordan saying Mitch Richmond was the toughest defender he's ever faced.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

We will see about Bradley. To assume he is too short for the two or to say he is a secret weapon like the person who started the thread is jumping the gun by a lot.  We don't know he could be awful or Rondo with a jump shot.  I am guessing neither by the way. We need help at the wing, someone 6 fivish or more.  Bradley is not going to grow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

We will see about Bradley. To assume he is too short for the two or to say he is a secret weapon like the person who started the thread is jumping the gun by a lot.  We don't know he could be awful or Rondo with a jump shot.  I am guessing neither by the way. We need help at the wing, someone 6 fivish or more.  Bradley is not going to grow.
    Posted by concord27

Agreed. 6-2 is just too short for a swingman, I think Josh Howard would be the best one available, hoping he doesn't get injured.

He's 6-7 with a good jumper and played pretty well in Dallas when he was healthy.

He can definitely spread the floor with his 3 point shooting in the second unit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

That's the 2nd or 3rd time i've heard someone say "he's 6'3" with shoes on" Last time i checked,they played with shoes on!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

He is going to have to play the 2 guard on this team (with shoes on).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Tony Allen is 6' 4".  I fail to see the HUGE difference one inch makes in this discussion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

He is going to have to play the 2 guard on this team (with shoes on).
    Posted by existentialparquet

He might have to play with PLATFORM shoes to play the 2 guard!

Tongue out

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: AVERY BRADLEY... The man everyone is forgetting about : "Tony Allen is 6' 4".  " Is dat wit shoes on er off?
    Posted by RajonRondowski

You have ceased to be amusing!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In Response to AVERY BRADLEY... The man everyone is forgetting about:
    Going into this offseason, one of the Celtics biggest needs in restructuring their roster was to bring in a nice wing player who can score and also help spell some minutes for the aging duo of Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, who throughout the playoffs looked gassed for quarters and even games at a time. So, at the start of free agency the fans and media of the green all had every mid-level priced Free Agent wing on their radars, waiting to see who the Celtics would grab to fill that role for next season's championship run. Guys like John Salmons, Matt Barnes, Josh Childress, Mike Miller, Kyle Korver and even to a lesser degree guys like, Ryan Gomes, Antoine Wright, and James Jones were at one time or another mentioned as possible aquisitions. But as the Free Agency period has pressed on, the Celtics have lost out on all those guys and have only brought back Marquise daniels as a possible fill for this slot, leaving most of the fans and local media squirming uncomfortably in their seats that this is the Celtics idea of an answer, having already witnessing Quissy's struggles offensively last season after his injury(these same people apparently forgetting that he was pretty good before this injury though) Well I say to these uncomforted fans, "Rest Easy!" The Celtics already have the perfect guy for this bench scoring spot on their roster. A man they aquired on June 28th and signed July 2nd. A man who coming out of high-school just one year ago was rated higher than John Wall. A man who many have already forgotten even before they've seen him play. A man who because of a slight ankle injury was unable to play in the Summer League and thus has kept some anonimity with you all. A man. . .  yeah i know this is annoying already.  .  . A man by the name of, AVERY BRADLEY!!!! No rousing applause? Well watch this:       http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/draft-preview-avery-bradley/12tt27y9 Avery Bradley is a 6'2" guard who can shoot from the outside, slash to the basket, plays GREAT defense, and can even play some point if needed. Think of Russell Westbrook with a consistant jumper. And i know what you're saying, Yes he's too small to spell Pierce, so part of this equasion doesn't quite fit. But with Bradley, a great scorer, coming off the bench at the 2-spot, that allows a lesser player(Marquise) to spell Paul at the 3 -spot, and all he has to do is worry about focusing on D. Whatever offense comes from Quissy is gravy.   So to all you people out there who think the Celtics have failed this offseason in rebuilding their bench to a higher level. Just wait until you see Bradley play to make your final decisions on this team. This kid could be the next great Celtic, and nobody's even talking about him. 
    Posted by antoinew
    Bradley is undersized to play the 2-spot. DA drafted him mainly to serve as an understudy to Rondo. At the time Bradley was drafted, the Celtics were uncertain of re-signing Nate Robinson or securing the services of a veteran PG from the free agent market. Don't expect him to see much playing time except in team practices. It is common knowledge that Doc has a preference for veterans and does not play rookies unless absolutely necessary. Just think of Walker, Giddens, Hudson, etc. While Bradley may have been a high school star, that does not necessarily translate into his being NBA-ready. At most, Bradley is a raw talent. He will need to further develop his strength and basketball skills as well as mature as a person. A case in point is Gerald Green whose lack of maturity is the major stumbling block to a successful NBA career.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In Response to Re: AVERY BRADLEY... The man everyone is forgetting about : Tony Allen with a jumpshot? That's interesting. I never seen Bradley play but, he would have some big shoes to fill defensively, especially guarding Kobe, LeBron, Melo, and other great swingmen in the league. At 6-2/3, he's just too small. He's better off spelling Ray or running 3 guard sets like I mentioned earlier. He would get ABUSED by the bigger swingmen in the league.
    Posted by Waynestarr

I agree with you Wayne. I suspect that he will be gone in a year or two. I still have no idea why he was drafted over James Anderson, Damion James, or Whiteside. He'll never see the light of day...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofobu. Show jofobu's posts

Bradley is too short to be a 2. He is 6'3" w/shoes. He might make a good pg but he is going to rot on the bench playing behind Rondo and Robinson. He won't ever see the light of day being on the Celtics roster. My guess is that he will be traded for basically nothing in about 2 years.
    Posted by guyfromtex

The following web site list Eddie House as 6'1", but he played SG for the Celtics.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/196325/eddie-house?tag=pageRow;pageContainer
    Of course, when Eddie was on he could rain 3's. Then again, Eddie showed that he could not be relied on at PG, and his defense wasn't too good. Given time to develope, maybe Avery can be a better player for the Celtics than Eddie was.
    Jofobu

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

The posts that 6'3 is too short to be an effective guard just isn't true. It depends on the player of course. Many players in the past and present at 6'3 and less have been good 2 guards. Currently playing are Leandro Barbosa, Ben Gordon, Eddie House and there may be a few others I can't think of. In the past there was Hersey Hawkins, Dee Brown, Vinnie Johnson, Eric Snow, Joe Dumars and probably several more I can't think of.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Very encouraging; this guy may be the diamond in the rough of this draft...

West Coast Workout Swing Part 3: Joe Abunassar's Impact Basketball

May 18, 2010
    Joseph Treutlein

Quite possibly the most impressive player in attendance here, Avery Bradley put on an outstanding shooting display in both drills and scrimmages, showing off his picture perfect form while many times making those in attendance wonder if he can miss a shot. In drills, Bradley looked very smooth pulling up off a confident dribble, knocking down a variety of shots, while also showing off his excellent athleticism in transition, putting his 37.5 inch vertical leap to good use.

Where Bradley really impressed though was the scrimmages, where his team rarely lost and he made great use of the floor’s spacing, getting to open spots of the floor with ease, showing no troubles getting separation from his man. With his excellent body control, balance, and elevation, Bradley just needs a glimmer of space to get his shot off, and he showed that especially playing the pick-and-roll game. Bradley hit a variety of pull-up jumpers from the mid-range and from behind the arc, many with a hand in his face, which didn’t seem to do much. He incorporated in some hesitation dribbles and fakes to get separation when his first move didn’t work, but mostly didn’t need it, just being so proficient out of simple pick-and-rolls.

Bradley was able to dominate constantly looking for his shot out of pick-and-rolls, but he didn’t really excel finding his teammates, something that wasn’t problematic here but did lead to some troubles at Texas this past season, as he’s prone to showing tunnel vision looking for his own shot. While it’s tough to take much concrete from these scrimmages, nothing we saw here suggested Bradley is yet ready to be a full-time point guard in the NBA, in line with what we saw from him all season.

Bradley also didn’t show much in terms of finishing at the rim, though to be fair the way he was playing, he didn’t need to try. He is a bouncy athlete in space for sure, but he did have some troubles finishing at the rim in college this season, and it’d be nice to see him continue to work on his floater.

Defensively, Bradley likewise shined, using his full 6’7 wingspan to great use, never giving up on a play, and constantly trying to affect plays from behind when beat. He did a good job battling through pick-and-rolls and played physical, intense defense pretty much every possession, having some great battles with the other small guards here. Bradley also appeared to be a very good teammate, encouraging others and being pretty vocal in general.

Seeing Bradley run so many pick-and-rolls and play in an environment with much more spacing than he saw at Texas, it’s not hard to see many reasons why he has the potential to be a better NBA player than he was in college, especially if he can go to a system that emphasizes those two concepts. Bradley’s 6’7 wingspan also bodes well for his chances of defending shooting guards at the next level, at least reserves, many of which are 6’5 and under. While there are questions about his position, Bradley certainly brings quite a few NBA skills to the table, and could be capable of contributing immediately in the right situation, though situation should be critical to his early chances at success.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Avery-Bradley-5285/#ixzz0uku24Idn
    http://www.draftexpress.com