Avery Bradley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Re: Avery Bradley

In Response to Re: Avery Bradley:
    Two blocks that turned into fast break points in the fourth quarter. Bradley is a very good player.
    Posted by Kirk6

those blocks, especially the second one were such good plays.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In Response to Re: Avery Bradley : Avery Bradley at 21-YO has already been called "the best on ball defender in the NBA" by several coaches, players, analysts, etc. His shooting is exceptional and only deteriorated in efectiveness due to the gravity of the play-off's atmosphere and youthful nerves. We saw what he can do near the end of the regular season once he got over the first time starting NBA games nerves. 3's, ooops!, drives, D, and good court vision. His speed and athleticism is unmatched by any other Celtic, including Rondo who is second on the team in this category. He is proving to be the perfect compliment to RR, and once he gets his play-off jitters behind him, he is gonna be a monster! We will have the best 1-2 guard combo in the league, by far. The future is very, very bright.............AB and RR will be perennial all-stars together in short order. Book-it!
    Posted by RallyC

it's definitely something to build around going into the future.  AB's jumper will continue to improve over these next couple of years, and it seems like rondo really enjoys playing with him.  

Another thing I want to point out is AB's work ethic/approach to the game.  As a young guy who came in and found out what the team needed in order to earn court time, in order to develope more, he'll be a good influance on other young guys.  Maybe even a guy like Williams, if it's not too late for him.  The vets say AB puts in the work.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

You know your team has a unique make-up when in one game your PG leads the team in blocks, your SF in rebounds, and your C in assists lol
    Posted by jgallag1

haha wow

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

With Avery it is all about upside

If he gives us only what he's giving us NOW...

elite defense on PG's and SG's, active with blocks/rebounds/steals... streaking to the rim, the hops to dunk on the break, good mid-range pull-up, occasional corner 3

... then he is a 24-28 minute starting SG/6th man who nobody wants to play against and who does many little things to help you win

It is the fact that he is 21 and improved so much 2nd half of this season between his first year and a half (when he had no training camp BTW) that makes everyone even more excited.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

When Tony emerged as an elite defender late in '10 (he had to struggle through overcoming knee surgery and being stuck behind Marquis on the bench prior to that) we were all very exited and people here were frustrated to see him go

But he was 29 already... not 21.... Bradley can do to PG/SG's what Tony did to SG/SF's only with a slightly better offensive game already and the upside to be a great player

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clappy. Show clappy's posts

I'm shocked how much he's improved, especially offensively. His back door cuts are slick and his jumper is way better than I had hoped for. (I thought he was Tub Bradley for a while.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I didn't miss Rondo one bit last night. I love it when Bradley leads the team

Wrong - Bradley didn't lead the team, Pierce led the team, and he said after the game he cannot do that every game. They went all out to win this to stay in the series and to have Rondo's back. Bradley stepped up as well with super lock down D, but Pierce led the team and the offense largely ran through him because Bradley is not a point guard per se. 

FYI the reason Bradley scores so much on the back doors is he and Rondo know how to play together. Most of us are going to have a lot of fun watching those guys together. A handful of haters will not. Their loss. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

AB not only has a different offensive game than RR, but also defensively.   AB is a stay w/ your man D player, RR a trying to get steals.   They can both jump, but AB has a quicker jump (prob also higher vertical).   RR is a pg, AB can't run an offense for all 5 offensive players.   RR is triple-double guy, AB doesn't have the instincts to rebound in great numbers.   RR still isn't a reliable jump shooter.   AB is not better than average at this stage of his career.   Most of his points still come from layups or dunks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

People forget how stagnant the offense was for the first 33 minutes, when we consistently trailed and Pierce was like 5-18.KG was 5-13 for the game. He is usually like 8-15 with Rondo feeding him in his comfort zone. RR makes the scoring so much easier for everyone around him.

Paul took the game over and that was great... his rebounds and the raised stakes of the 4th quarter/adreneline lead to his buckets going in at the end... but yes he CANNOT do this more than like 2x in each playoff series and realyl struggles over the whole game to find a flow w/o RR.

We really need Ray and his dagger 3's back... even in just 20 mins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Bradley may be better than Rondo.
    Posted by Kirk6

Apples to oranges comparison in my opinion.  Rondo is a pass first 1 and Bradley is an undersized 2.  I think they actually complement one another quite well and if both stay it will be an interesting back court for years.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Bradley made two blocks on the point guard that led to fast breaks in the fourth quarter last night. Does anyone really think Rondo could have done that? Point guards blow by Rondo all the time.
    Posted by Kirk6

I don't get what your point is.  Bradley is the Celtics starting 2 guard. He can fill in at the point but that isn't where he is best.

He isn't in competition with Rondo.  Do you think Bradley/Pietrus is better than Bradley/Rondo?  If so I am scared for you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuPirate. Show PuPirate's posts

Two blocks that turned into fast break points in the fourth quarter. Bradley is a very good player.
    Posted by Kirk6

*3 blocks  + 3 steals + he had more assists and less turnovers than teague
     js

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

I didn't miss Rondo one bit last night. I love it when Bradley leads the team Wrong - Bradley didn't lead the team, Pierce led the team, and he said after the game he cannot do that every game. They went all out to win this to stay in the series and to have Rondo's back. Bradley stepped up as well with super lock down D, but Pierce led the team and the offense largely ran through him because Bradley is not a point guard per se.  FYI the reason Bradley scores so much on the back doors is he and Rondo know how to play together. Most of us are going to have a lot of fun watching those guys together. A handful of haters will not. Their loss. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

+1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I didn't miss Rondo one bit last night. I love it when Bradley leads the team
    Posted by BostonBruinss

Its posts like this where you've lost sight of the big picture.  When we win a game without Rondo or without a key player, it doesn't mean you don't need that player.  So we won without Rondo......it won't happen throughout the playoffs because Pierce isn't going to have that kind of superman night every night and neither is KG.  When you don't, Bradley isn't going to carry the team......but Rondo might - especially with passing and rebounds and setting up his teammates.

You will miss him as soon as we lose without him!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

When Tony emerged as an elite defender late in '10 (he had to struggle through overcoming knee surgery and being stuck behind Marquis on the bench prior to that) we were all very exited and people here were frustrated to see him go But he was 29 already... not 21.... Bradley can do to PG/SG's what Tony did to SG/SF's only with a slightly better offensive game already and the upside to be a great player
    Posted by rameakap

I'd have to disagree about Bradley being compared to TA..

Offensively, AB offers much more than TA ever did. AB has the jumper that TA never had... Ball handling wise, AB isnt very good but still light years ahead of TA, who was a TO waiting to happen with the ball.

Defensively, AB isnt at the level TA was... AB is a great on ball hawk and a pest... but dont forget how TA could take stretches of games and just plain shut down superstars 1on1... you realize just how difficult that is to do against even a good nba player??   ... TA may have been in a league all by himself defensively

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

First: 1/29/2008
    Last: 5/3/2012
    In response to "Re: Avery Bradley - D League bound":
    In Response to Re: Avery Bradley - D League bound : Guess you didn't see Avery Bradley play last season. First, Avery Bradley can't dribble. The coach of a pro-basketball team in Israel figured that out even before Doc figured it out. Second, he can't score at the NBA level because he's not a good shooter and every time he drives to the basket his shot gets blocked. I've seen a lot of Bradley as I have not missed any of the Celtic games since 2007-08. And third, yes he can play good defense, it's just unfortunate that the NBA is not the NFL and you have to play offense and defense in the NBA. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

C'mon. Understand the NBA game. No young player can produce anything the way Bradley was used last year. Celts need to commit a dedicated 9-14 minutes per game to him this year to a good 30-40 games.
    I agree, we haven't seen the production yet. But the athleticism and talent jumps out at us. Doc needs to develop it.

Re: Avery Bradley - D League bound

posted at 12/23/2011 7:18 AM EST
    First: 1/29/2008
    Last: 5/3/2012
    In response to "Re: Avery Bradley - D League bound":
       Rkarp: how do you figure Twan (? Moore) has reached his peak ???... what are you talkn about?     Moore being an early rook does many things better than AB.   He has a better all around game.   (? can AB dribble w/ his L hand).... Hey, MrJohnnyMost:  please tell me some players who learned to shoot while in the NBA except ? DJ who was a good scorer and very good clutch shooter.   I know there has to be some.   I just can't think of any.
    Posted by docc

I didn't say he has reached his peak. I said he is almost at his ceiling. He does not have any above average NBA skills, nor does behave elite athleticism.
    The NBA drafts based on projection able skill level. The NBA had 4 years to scrutinize and project Twuan, and he lasted into the 2nd round after 4 years of study. We're all teams wrong on him?
    Bradley has elite athleticism, quickness and speed. He can get to the rim on most any defender. He will develop into a similar defender to Rondo.
    Russell Westbrook could not shoot or dribble coming out of UCLA either. He is still only NBA average on both, but look where his athleticism has taken him on a team that knows how to develop and utilize his skills.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Avery Bradley : I'd have to disagree about Bradley being compared to TA.. Offensively, AB offers much more than TA ever did. AB has the jumper that TA never had... Ball handling wise, AB isnt very good but still light years ahead of TA, who was a TO waiting to happen with the ball. Defensively, AB isnt at the level TA was... AB is a great on ball hawk and a pest... but dont forget how TA could take stretches of games and just plain shut down superstars 1on1... you realize just how difficult that is to do against even a good nba player??   ... TA may have been in a league all by himself defensively
    Posted by Karllost

The only thing I compared between the two of them was defense.

I said Bradley's D on PG/SG's was similar to Tony's on SG/SF's

Then I said Bradley was a superior offensive player, even at age 21, and has upside Tony clearly didn't have at age 29 when DA let him walk, and that is why we are all so excited about the kid

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

I'd probably try to keep Rondo and Bradley together. They lack some in size, but they compensate for that in other areas.
    Posted by basketbert

+1

As Always,

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Avery Bradley : The only thing I compared between the two of them was defense. I said Bradley's D on PG/SG's was similar to Tony's on SG/SF's Then I said Bradley was a superior offensive player, even at age 21, and has upside Tony clearly didn't have at age 29 when DA let him walk, and that is why we are all so excited about the kid
    Posted by rameakap

Isn't that comparing the two offensively?

Id agree with your post other than AB could do defensively what TA could. He was something else defensively on the perimeter and the post. Purely judgement call...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yes they are different players, and Avery is going to be superior or may be already. AB has the corner 3, the better handle, and his D involves more blocks and full court pressure of ballhandlers than Tony's did.

Yet both added the same things when it came to the two BIGGEST impacts they had/have on the team:

1. Pitbull on-ball up in your comfort zone defense of a talented wing player who was going to give another Celtic defender fits and tire them out, making their offense suffer. Be it Bradley on Rose (currently Teague)/Wade (helping Rondo/Allen) or TA on Kobe/LeBron (helping Allen/Pierce). Their biggest impact was simply being an elite defender and what that adds to the club.

2. Being an athletic player who can run the court WITH RONDO and finish at the rim is 2nd in importance. Ray simply doesn't do this anymore so having this option with another guard is very helpful in getting W's.

All the little intangibles that make Bradley a better offensive player or different more destructive defensive player (and of course the age/upside) are not as impactful to winning as those 2 things which both players brought

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I really see AB as our third guard next year.  He can play 2 positions, and will help the second unit keep the intensity.  Rondo could play 35 mins, leaving 13 for AB at the "1".  Then, if we get a Mayo, keep Pietrus (or draft Waiters), he could get an additional 20 or so at the "2".  This can all change if his offense improves, but I really think in the long run he will be too small to successfully guard the other SG's in the league.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I really see AB as our third guard next year.  He can play 2 positions, and will help the second unit keep the intensity.  Rondo could play 35 mins, leaving 13 for AB at the "1".  Then, if we get a Mayo, keep Pietrus (or draft Waiters), he could get an additional 20 or so at the "2".  This can all change if his offense improves, but I really think in the long run he will be too small to successfully guard the other SG's in the league.
    Posted by hedleylamarr

I like those moves for the future

I think Avery becomes the 6th man only if you are going to get Mayo. When you offer a 25 year old a big free agent contract it is not so he can remain the 26 minute a game 6th man he has been in Memphis the last 2 years. Promises have to be made.

I'd say 34 minutes each Rondo/Mayo and 28 for Bradley off the bench. Avery can pair well with either guard and that would be a dynamic trio.

If you don't get Mayo then I think you keep Ray or Pietrus AND draft a guard to eventually replace one of them. Minute distribution something like:

Rondo - 36
    Avery - 32
    Ray - 20
    Waiters - 8

would make sense for next year

with Waiters/Ray swapping minutes for '13-'14 (if Waiers proves to be as good as I think he'll be)  and then Ray likely retires after that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Bradley does things defensively that I have never seen any player do....ever. He is incredibly quick.
    Posted by Kirk6

I love the waY he comes across and take the ball away from a player dribbling downcourt on a "fastbreak", and then turns into a Celtic fastbreak.in the opposite direction they never knew what hit him..unbelievable...

Sections
Shortcuts