Baby Veteran Presence at 24?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Baby Veteran Presence at 24?

From the Globe on Glen Davis' new role: 
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/08/17/celtics_davis_eyes_new_role/

And I quote:

“This is the year of finally hitting that line of maturity, of finally becoming that player that I knew I could be,’’ Davis said yesterday. “Throughout my career, my three years being here, it’s been up and down. When I play, you’ve seen glimpses, like, ‘Wow, this guy could start. Or come off the bench.’ Glimpses up and down. But this is the year of Glen becoming that whole player that 10 years down the road, eight years down the road, will hopefully be an All-Star.’’

There are Baby Lovers and Baby Haters and you can count me among the former but he seems to be among those players who elicit strong opinions from fans.  I think that around the league he is well respected as a player who plays hard and with intensity and energy.

Some people think he could be a starter on many teams and even achieve All Star status.  Count me among them. Others think he has peaked and can never be anything more than a 6th man at best.

Davis:  “Things happen, people go down, but at the same time my opportunity will come, and when my opportunity comes, people will know that I can play the game at a high level. I’m not worried about who I’m playing behind, I’m just trying to learn as much as I can so when my opportunity comes to lead a team to the Finals, I’ll be ready.’’

Ya gotta love the attitude, Dude, just don't go punching anyone in the wee small hours or at anytime at all.  You wasted a year, ya Big Baby.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Baby Veteran Presence at 24?

I think Davis is underestimated throughout the league.... still.  And I think a great many people, including Celtics fans hate him for being "fat".  He wouldn't be able to play at all at this high level if he really was. 

He has his shortfalls.  But he does a lot of things that other people won't / can't do.  His boost to our team defense is probably the most incredible thing that he does.  He shows on picks with fantastic energy and gets back to his man, rarely getting burned or invoking a switch from someone else.  That is when our D works the best. 

He also draws a great number of charges.  His hustle has preserved wins and turned L's into W's for us.  He also has other great skills too.  Most of his skills save for defensive rebounding and going straight up in traffic trying to convert in close are above average.

When I watch him play I see a guy who would do anything to win.  That sort of desire is in very short supply in this league largely filled with prima donnas these days.  I hope Davis stays a Celtic for a long time.  He reminds me of the old days, when everyone hustled and did the little things w/o measuring out what was in it for them first.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

The guys a stiff! He's 5 fouls waiting to happen. Barely an offensive game, clogs the lane but easy to shoot over.

Perhaps his best asset is that he could keep up with the big minimum when it came to a donut eating competition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Baby Veteran Presence at 24?:
    [QUOTE]The guys a stiff! He's 5 fouls waiting to happen. Barely an offensive game, clogs the lane but easy to shoot over. Perhaps his best asset is that he could keep up with the big minimum when it came to a donut eating competition.
    Posted by KB24RULZ[/QUOTE]

lipshizz- where was lavar odumb during the playoffs, specifically the finals?  he did next to nothing.  other than absorb some post up spin moves by '5 fouls waiting to happen' that made odumb look nailed to the ground.   

clean your own house first, your back up 4 was a disgusting mess in the clutch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

I love Davis's intensity and intelligence.   I sure hope that this is the year he becomes a consistent force.

He's got physical limitations though--not much hops and short for the position he plays.  So, he gets stuffed a lot inside.  But the guy is relentless and really understands the team's defensive concepts.

I'm really curious if he can play with Shaq.   That's a whole lotta beef on the floor.

Looking forward to finding out.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]I love Davis's intensity and intelligence.   I sure hope that this is the year he becomes a consistent force. He's got physical limitations though--not much hops and short for the position he plays.  So, he gets stuffed a lot inside.  But the guy is relentless and really understands the team's defensive concepts. I'm really curious if he can play with Shaq.   That's a whole lotta beef on the floor. Looking forward to finding out.
    Posted by paulliu[/QUOTE]

Aint no one getting a donut with these two on the floor!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

School must be over as pseudo-macho adolescent kb24 is trying his best to be funny again!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Baby is a capable player at best. He has his limitations, but does have days where he can produce big numbers and contribute to the team. The guy really needs to get in shape.

I think Powe was a better player for the Celtics and offered more to the team than Baby does. Shame he got injured when he did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]I think Powe was a better player for the Celtics and offered more to the team than Baby does. Shame he got injured when he did.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

how do you figure that??? Powe had zero from the outside, had no chance of playing decent body up bang 'em around defense on a large 5 of the size of 7 feet 275 and up- davis can do that.

Powe was fantastic at being a straight line guy.  He got the ball and went to the bucket like a laser and put it in.  Other than that, he was okay on defense, but even shorter than Davis.  Kind of a one dimensional player.  But very good at what he did. 

It is a shame that Powe got injured but I am glad we ended up with Davis out of the two.  He has potential / actual decent outside shot, dynamite help defense, the potential to develop a back to the bucket post game, needs to work on vertical leap and defensive rebounding. 

nothing in life is perfect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]School must be over as pseudo-macho adolescent kb24 is trying his best to be funny again!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

i'd say pseudo adolescent.  i've got him down for 14 1/2 years old

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I just think Powe has more upside to his game. I still have visions of him destroying us in the 2008 finals. Didn't have anyone who could go with him off our bench that year. Not saying he was the difference, but he caused us trouble.

As you said he was one dimensional, but give him a role and he'll execute it well for you. Baby is a player who comes and goes. And at times last season had the sulks.

Both players have heart though. And that's something you can't measure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Baby is a player who comes and goes. And at times last season had the sulks.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

I agree with this but believe that he can turn the corner and be there every night this year.  That's what he has to do.  And if he does it then that along with the other additions we have made to the frontcourt this year will render us significantly better this year.

With regard to the sulks- I thought last year was atrocious- Sheed got minutes galore and stank outright nearly 100% in the regular season.  I thought the C's really walked over the line of "disappointment" with Davis over his thumb thing (which was stupid) but somehow never said one word about how out of shape and terrible Sheed was, nor reduced his minutes. 

What you say about desire is true.  Davis' rook and part of his second year, Doc tooled around with Davis' minutes a whole lot- no consistency.  And then again this last year becuause he was "bad"- I thought we were going to lose him mentally and he'd want out of here- and I would not have entirely blamed him given how bad Sheed was but could do no wrong.   It would have been a dumb way to lose someone who shows so much desire and team loyalty.

I think given consistent minutes the guy will shine.  Or at least let him prove that he can't do it through giving him a season's long chance at really stepping it up.   He's shown more than enough flashes of great play last year and was quite consistent in the playoffs in KG's stead the year before.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

My advice to the Lakers is: "Don't go out and get any expensive tattoos!"  Big Baby, Shaq and Perk will be handing out free ones!  You know, of the black and blue variety. Maybe a little purple thrown in.  Actually I advocate clean play.  However, sometimes players accidently run into each other.  Like last year's Playoffs, when Rondo and Shaq ran into each other.  OUCH!  I give Rondo a lot of credit just to get back up, from off the floor. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]big baby is literly a baby i have seen kevin garnett get stuck into him on the bench and he is crying atleast twice so big baby i say to u are not a veteren or even a real man ur literaly a baby but stile play well at times but u have alot of maturing to do
    Posted by nba-favours-the-lakers[/QUOTE]

mybee u kenn growet up yerr inglesh b4 u krakq on bikgque bayebee?

honestly man, get a grip

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]big baby is literly a baby i have seen kevin garnett get stuck into him on the bench and he is crying atleast twice so big baby i say to u are not a veteren or even a real man ur literaly a baby but stile play well at times but u have alot of maturing to do
    Posted by nba-favours-the-lakers[/QUOTE]

What is 'stile' play?

I actually think that when Baby cried it showed that Baby holds Garnett in a high regard and he was upset at some home truths being delivered by Garnett. Shows that he does care about the team, even if he does sulk. He has growing up to do, but as I said before he has heart. 

He's an emotional guy and I'm not surprised to see him have a moment like that on the sidelines during a game. I don't think that's a negative on his part.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]I think Davis is underestimated throughout the league.... still.  And I think a great many people, including Celtics fans hate him for being "fat".  He wouldn't be able to play at all at this high level if he really was.  He has his shortfalls.  But he does a lot of things that other people won't / can't do.  His boost to our team defense is probably the most incredible thing that he does.  He shows on picks with fantastic energy and gets back to his man, rarely getting burned or invoking a switch from someone else.  That is when our D works the best.  He also draws a great number of charges.  His hustle has preserved wins and turned L's into W's for us.  He also has other great skills too.  Most of his skills save for defensive rebounding and going straight up in traffic trying to convert in close are above average. When I watch him play I see a guy who would do anything to win.  That sort of desire is in very short supply in this league largely filled with prima donnas these days.  I hope Davis stays a Celtic for a long time.  He reminds me of the old days, when everyone hustled and did the little things w/o measuring out what was in it for them first.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

-
    I'm with acie all the way on this because, well, great minds think alike.  Acie is saying everything I'm thinking only better.

I do believe that by fans in Boston, Baby gets overlooked, taken for granted, under-appreciated, and his talent constantly mis-judged and givenshort-shrift.  I do believe he is capable of All Star play, and I do believe that he would start on many teams and be a star.

I also like his emotionalism which is part of his intensity on the floor.  Remember him taking a shot to the head and trying to get up and stagger down the floor to get back into the play.  I'll take that level of intensity any day even if it comes with a few tears now and then.  And it's been pointed out many times, who wouldn't cry if KG got in your face and reamed you out like that. 

His crying once or twice is a non-factor in judging his talent as a basketball player and only goes to show how deeply he cares.

I'm on the Baby-Bandwagon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby Veteran Presence at 24? : - I'm with acie all the way on this because, well, great minds think alike.  Acie is saying everything I'm thinking only better. I do believe that by fans in Boston, Baby gets overlooked, taken for granted, under-appreciated, and his talent constantly mis-judged and givenshort-shrift.  I do believe he is capable of All Star play, and I do believe that he would start on many teams and be a star. I also like his emotionalism which is part of his intensity on the floor.  Remember him taking a shot to the head and trying to get up and stagger down the floor to get back into the play.  I'll take that level of intensity any day even if it comes with a few tears now and then.  And it's been pointed out many times, who wouldn't cry if KG got in your face and reamed you out like that.  His crying once or twice is a non-factor in judging his talent as a basketball player and only goes to show how deeply he cares. I'm on the Baby-Bandwagon.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]     "There is no crying in Baseball".  But its okay in NBA basketball.  When the coach asks if you are crying because you got benched, you have the perfect excuse.  You tell him: "I was thinking about the extremely sad state of affairs in the NBA".  The coach will say: "Okay, I'll let you slide this time". .......... Besides, David Stern can't fine you for crying!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

well, he has played 2 complete playoff runs to the finals, played a major role off the bench all 3 years with the Celtics, started when needed to, agressive, not afraid at all of the big moment and usually rises above himself for the occasion, he's not going to make 20 mil a year, but seriously - if he trimmed off 30 or 40 lbs of bulk - played night in and night out, and his understanding of being more consistent is Doc's influence and will help him through his whole career.  It doesn't do a role player any good to pat yourself on the back like a LeBron or Kobe for doing some spectacular play, those guys honestly limit their potential with that p$^p, make the basic plays, produce the numbers - do it consistently, learn to kick the ball out if you're trapped under the basket with 3 defenders standing all around you, he could start in the NBA and be really great, if he was able to mature and reach the full level of his potential.  I hope he does it next year, he'll at least be a little better, he's gotten better every year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Rajon,

I am a Davis fan like you.  He has one big fault in trying take the ball up in  traffic too often (constantly getting it blocked) but the rest of his game is underappreciated.  The rebounding, defense, 15 ft jumper, and hustle are all exactly what the Celtcs need.

One other comment on your original post - he did not waste a season.  He was out about a 1/3 of the season and played well the rest of the way.  No subs can look consistent in Doc's scheme because no sub was getting enough regular rotation.  Doc coaches to the situation of the game rather than a standard rotation so Davis' minutes and position changed each game (and thus how good he looked changed).

On the fight he was in, if i were Davis, I would have punched the guy back as well.  Most of us would.  You wouldn't stand there and let him hit you and punk out.   He did what he had to do to defend himself.  If he were my son, I would tell him..."don't ever let someone hit you and you do nothing - because they'll just hit you again with no consequences"!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

It's going to be exciting seeing Big Baby in the rotation from opening night.

After his great playoff run filling in for the injured KG, everyone expected him to pick up where he left off. The Punch set him back to zero.

So let's see if he can contribute 20 minutes a night for all 82 games.

I love Big Baby, he is one of the best players the Celtics have developed in the last 15 years.

Even if he never starts, he's still a valuable member of the rotation

I'd even extend him one more year right now for $5M.....just so he can be a part of the repeat effort !!!!

Celtics have a chance to match the 66 win 2008 Celtic Champions

I don't see Miami being able to stay with them for a 7 game series

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

here is an interesting viedo of bbd training.  not sure when it was made.

but for all you folks who think davis is fat.  take a look at him. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OCRNVdCAMs&feature=related

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Ask Shaq what he thinks about Big Baby ?

Ever hear Shaq tell the story of playing pickup with Baby years ago ?

He said Big Baby was stronger than him THEN , that he was a freak and force of nature....If he can only learn to finish a little better around the rim, knowing he's always gonna get his shot blocked....it's hard to believe he CANT lose 20 more lbs and work on some little hook shots in the paint. 

Gotta love that he's gotten better every season

Lets see how he does from day one as a 20+ minutes a game player

I still think Baby should get any leftover minutes at center rather than the Erden rookie...at least until Perk is back.....also am a lot more excited about Avery Bradley than I am about Nate Robinson.....I am THRILLED that Danny signed Nate for short&reasonable money though , if only to collect a valuable asset..... andof course they should offer a #1 AND Marquis/or Vonb Wafer for Rudy Fernandez...Rudy can play point better than Marquis and he has a killer 3pt shot... 

67-15 !

25. This post has been removed.