Ball Dont Lie: C's 2013-2014 Season Preview - Projected Record 16-66!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Ball Dont Lie: C's 2013-2014 Season Preview - Projected Record 16-66!

Ball Don’t Lie’s 2013-14 Season Previews: Boston Celtics

By Ball Don't Lie Staff1 hour ago

Boston's new Big Three. (Getty Images)

After a long, tortuous summer filled with sunny days and absolutely no NBA news of any importance, the 2013-14 season is set to kick off. This means the leaves will change, the cheeks will redden, and 400-some NBA players will ready those aching knees to play for the right to work all the way to June.

The minds at Ball Don’t Lie – Kelly Dwyer, Dan Devine, and Eric Freeman – have your teams covered. All 30 of ‘em, as we countdown to tipoff.

Kelly Dwyer’s Palatable Exercise

The nagging impediment that is getting in the way of Boston Celtics fans fully embracing their upcoming rebuilding turn is the unfortunate knowledge that the haul they received in response to trading away all those legends isn’t a particularly compelling one. After an injury-plagued and mediocre 2012-13 turn, Boston personnel chief Danny Ainge smartly decided to stave off decrepitude and the possible indignity of paying luxury tax money for a team that missed out on the playoffs, and deal his 2008 championship core away.

Unlike most rebuilding general managers, though, Ainge was forced to deal with a string of caveats and mitigating factors.

First, there was Kevin Garnett – a player that famously refused to demand for a trade from Minnesota even after his awful Timberwolves team missed the playoffs three straight years while in his prime. His contract owns a no-trade clause, and he wasn’t afraid to use it.

Then there was coach Doc Rivers, and you can’t really trade coaches. Even if they’re still under contract, after having professed to want to ride out yet another rebuilding turn.

Then there was the case of Paul Pierce, a Celtic legend. He and Ainge were Boston brothers, and they kind of like each other. So it wasn’t as if Ainge could deal his former franchise stud to some lowly team for a series of lottery picks.

Because Ainge was dealt to work with limited trading partners for various reasons, the team only received a series of spare parts from the Brooklyn Nets for KG, Pierce, and Jason Terry. Yes, copious amounts of Brooklyn draft picks (along with the right to switch picks) will be in Boston’s possession for the next few years, but Brooklyn figures to be at worst a mediocre team even with KG and Pierce getting on in age, and at best a championship contender. Those picks aren’t hitting the lottery any time soon.

As a result, Boston enters 2013-14 with no obvious young prospect to show off in return for that championship core. Guard Rajon Rondo will be out until winter hits, the team drafted last June on the heels of a 41-win season (and not a trip to the lottery), and rookie head coach Brad Stevens doesn’t have a scintilla of NBA experience on his side.

What this crew does have is intrigue on its side. Despite his button down, BYU legacy, Danny Ainge has always marched to the beat of his own drum both as a player, coach, broadcaster or executive. He takes chances and owns a superb drafting history, especially in the latter stages of the first round (where the Brooklyn picks should end up). Stevens made waves in Butler with his work ethic and ability to mix unique scouting techniques with old school draw-‘em-ups. Rajon Rondo is one of the stranger, more thrilling, and (most importantly) productive point guards you’ll find in this league.

The rebuilding task is still enormous, though, because this roster is still dotted with the middling talents that were signed to support superstars, and not replace them. Other teams may balk at trading for players like Brandon Bass (two-years, over $13 million left on his contract), Courtney Lee (three-years, over $16 million) and especially Gerald Wallace (three years, over $30 million). Even Ainge favorite Jeff Green would be a hard sell to most GMs at three years and over $27 million.

As the roster currently stands, the Celtics aren’t scheduled to be under the cap until 2015-16. And though eventual lottery picks will help, even Ainge agrees that this will be no panacea.

Until then, Kelly Olynyk will get his touches, and a chance to prove that he won’t disappoint as a starting-caliber, 33-minute per game center. Rondo will have to bite his tongue, Jared Sullinger has a lot of making up to do, while Green and Avery Bradley will be afforded the opportunity to work offensively away from the glare of Mssrs. Garnett and Pierce. All while Brad Stevens attempts to both adapt to this brand new league, and change it from within.

That’s an intriguing team, as you’d expect from Mr. Ainge. Unfortunately, it won’t be a winning team. Not for a while, anyway.

Projected record: 16-66

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Ball Dont Lie: C's 2013-2014 Season Preview - Projected Record 16-66!

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ball Don’t Lie’s 2013-14 Season Previews: Boston Celtics

By Ball Don't Lie Staff1 hour ago

Boston's new Big Three. (Getty Images)

After a long, tortuous summer filled with sunny days and absolutely no NBA news of any importance, the 2013-14 season is set to kick off. This means the leaves will change, the cheeks will redden, and 400-some NBA players will ready those aching knees to play for the right to work all the way to June.

The minds at Ball Don’t Lie – Kelly Dwyer, Dan Devine, and Eric Freeman – have your teams covered. All 30 of ‘em, as we countdown to tipoff.

Kelly Dwyer’s Palatable Exercise

The nagging impediment that is getting in the way of Boston Celtics fans fully embracing their upcoming rebuilding turn is the unfortunate knowledge that the haul they received in response to trading away all those legends isn’t a particularly compelling one. After an injury-plagued and mediocre 2012-13 turn, Boston personnel chief Danny Ainge smartly decided to stave off decrepitude and the possible indignity of paying luxury tax money for a team that missed out on the playoffs, and deal his 2008 championship core away.

Unlike most rebuilding general managers, though, Ainge was forced to deal with a string of caveats and mitigating factors.

First, there was Kevin Garnett – a player that famously refused to demand for a trade from Minnesota even after his awful Timberwolves team missed the playoffs three straight years while in his prime. His contract owns a no-trade clause, and he wasn’t afraid to use it.

Then there was coach Doc Rivers, and you can’t really trade coaches. Even if they’re still under contract, after having professed to want to ride out yet another rebuilding turn.

Then there was the case of Paul Pierce, a Celtic legend. He and Ainge were Boston brothers, and they kind of like each other. So it wasn’t as if Ainge could deal his former franchise stud to some lowly team for a series of lottery picks.

Because Ainge was dealt to work with limited trading partners for various reasons, the team only received a series of spare parts from the Brooklyn Nets for KG, Pierce, and Jason Terry. Yes, copious amounts of Brooklyn draft picks (along with the right to switch picks) will be in Boston’s possession for the next few years, but Brooklyn figures to be at worst a mediocre team even with KG and Pierce getting on in age, and at best a championship contender. Those picks aren’t hitting the lottery any time soon.

As a result, Boston enters 2013-14 with no obvious young prospect to show off in return for that championship core. Guard Rajon Rondo will be out until winter hits, the team drafted last June on the heels of a 41-win season (and not a trip to the lottery), and rookie head coach Brad Stevens doesn’t have a scintilla of NBA experience on his side.

What this crew does have is intrigue on its side. Despite his button down, BYU legacy, Danny Ainge has always marched to the beat of his own drum both as a player, coach, broadcaster or executive. He takes chances and owns a superb drafting history, especially in the latter stages of the first round (where the Brooklyn picks should end up). Stevens made waves in Butler with his work ethic and ability to mix unique scouting techniques with old school draw-‘em-ups. Rajon Rondo is one of the stranger, more thrilling, and (most importantly) productive point guards you’ll find in this league.

The rebuilding task is still enormous, though, because this roster is still dotted with the middling talents that were signed to support superstars, and not replace them. Other teams may balk at trading for players like Brandon Bass (two-years, over $13 million left on his contract), Courtney Lee (three-years, over $16 million) and especially Gerald Wallace (three years, over $30 million). Even Ainge favorite Jeff Green would be a hard sell to most GMs at three years and over $27 million.

As the roster currently stands, the Celtics aren’t scheduled to be under the cap until 2015-16. And though eventual lottery picks will help, even Ainge agrees that this will be no panacea.

Until then, Kelly Olynyk will get his touches, and a chance to prove that he won’t disappoint as a starting-caliber, 33-minute per game center. Rondo will have to bite his tongue, Jared Sullinger has a lot of making up to do, while Green and Avery Bradley will be afforded the opportunity to work offensively away from the glare of Mssrs. Garnett and Pierce. All while Brad Stevens attempts to both adapt to this brand new league, and change it from within.

That’s an intriguing team, as you’d expect from Mr. Ainge. Unfortunately, it won’t be a winning team. Not for a while, anyway.

Projected record: 16-66

[/QUOTE]Overly pessimistic tripe....  19W's with Rondo, 24 w/o him.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Even as pessimistic as I am about this upcoming season , that is a ridiculously low prediction.  Orlando had the worst record  last year at 20-62, charlotte and phoenix had 22 and 25 wins respectively. I think the cs  have more talent overall than those teams had.

The irony is, I kinda hope they go 16-66 so we can get wiggins or parker, but I actually got pisssed offf when i saw that prediction. Im so conflicted.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Adam Silver: With the 1st pick of the 2014 Draft, the Boston Celtics select Andrew Wiggins from Kansas.

[/QUOTE]

+ 1 Christmas in June!!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the Celts can reach 20 wins

Unless Rondo doesn't play at all.

[/QUOTE]

The article definately supports the 5-year minimum to rebuild theory! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Their best hope to get back to respectability is to land multiple, high lottery picks and to hit on another Rajon Rondo-Tony Parker-DeAndre Jordan type of player in the 20's where the Clips' and Nets' picks will be. 

I agree with the article - not on their projected record though.  I think the Celts will win in the low- to mid-20's.  But Jeff Green, Wallace, Lee, and Bass carry big contract numbers even if they all could contribute to a winner.  Hard to move those contracts and get something you'd want back in return.  And I still wonder if Rondo is a max player given that this team is years away from contending.  DA might want to hasten the rebuild if he can get high picks back for RR.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Their best hope to get back to respectability is to land multiple, high lottery picks and to hit on another Rajon Rondo-Tony Parker-DeAndre Jordan type of player in the 20's where the Clips' and Nets' picks will be. 

I agree with the article - not on their projected record though.  I think the Celts will win in the low- to mid-20's.  But Jeff Green, Wallace, Lee, and Bass carry big contract numbers even if they all could contribute to a winner.  Hard to move those contracts and get something you'd want back in return.  And I still wonder if Rondo is a max player given that this team is years away from contending.  DA might want to hasten the rebuild if he can get high picks back for RR.   

[/QUOTE]

I think the Cs will get lucky with one of the future picks acquired from the Nets! As presently constructed, I do not see the Nets going deep in the playoffs after this season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought the author(s) win total was a little low as well. 25-wins sounds about right! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

16 wins? Common dude, learn how to be real.

With Rondo, this team will be able to beat: 76ers, Magic, Bobcats, Hawks, Raptors, Bucks, and probaby the Wizz and that is just in the East. Not saying we will win all those games, but we certainly can win. Unless something big happens, this team is set for like 25-35 wins, probably 30-52.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Danny is smarter than holding back the development on his roster just to get a fraction better chance at a top 3 pick...

It is much more valuable to have Steven develop the guys on our roster and teach them to strive for wins. If any of Bass, Lee, Bogans, Humphries, Wallace, Brooks, Crawford, or even Faverani have a great first half of the season and get a team to want to trade a young player or draft pick to get them ... that is much more valuable.

OR

If Jeff Green reaches his potential of like 20,5,5 ... that could return us much more value in picks and player than a bunch of losses from benching him. Same goes with Bradley, Sully and KO as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the Cs will get lucky with one of the future picks acquired from the Nets! As presently constructed, I do not see the Nets going deep in the playoffs after this season

[/QUOTE]

Draft position is based on reg season record. Even without kg and pp last year, the nets chose 22nd so you figure they are going to be better than that this year and the next. Lets says kg and pp retire after those 2 years. Nets will still have a good core in dwill, blopez and jjj. So I dont see how you think we are gonna be "lucky"  luck only comes into play if your in the lottery and they wont be.  We are stuck with  3 picks in the 20-25 range.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With Rondo, this team will be able to beat: 76ers, Magic, Bobcats, Hawks, Raptors, Bucks, and probaby the Wizz and that is just in the East. Not saying we will win all those games, but we certainly can win. Unless something big happens, this team is set for like 25-35 wins, probably 30-52.

[/QUOTE]  Keep dreamin! 25 would be a reach.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Charlotte will be better this season! They are playing well, without Big Al in the lineup. 

I am not saying the will make the playoffs, BUT they will win more games than the Cs. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

With the trade exception, seveal #1 picks, and some upside players,  Boston may put together a grab of some kind.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

If Rondo is healthy and in game shape we are a 7 or 8th seed full season team.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to maryngary's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Rondo is healthy and in game shape we are a 7 or 8th seed full season team.

[/QUOTE]

Mary - will a rusty RR be able to guard the paint / protect the rim? That is where the Cs will struggle the most this season! 

I do agree RR will make a difference on the offensive end! That is why I think the Cs will win approximately 25-games versus 16! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I have little doubt that Boston will be one of the 3 worst teams in the league.  

I originally projected 24 wins and now think that is optimistic based on Bradley's inability to improve at the point, JG's lackluster play, and no movement to acquire a NBA ready center.

There will be player changes and Rondo's return will impact the team, but from what I know now, I'm predicting 20 wins.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts