BARBOSA. wants out.. Y are we not playing him over the un-RAY Jason Terry?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: BARBOSA. wants out.. Y are we not playing him over the un-RAY Jason Terry?

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

It isn't Docs fault the Celtics have five gaurds who are used to playing big minutes.  One of them is going to be unhappy.

i find fault where doc has NOT defined a role for ANY of the lee, terry, barbosa.  terry has played SOO POORLY that barbosa deserves some minutes- especially when our offense goes stale.

but the issue is that barbosa has NO ROLE ON THIS TEAM.  just like darko.  let's face it, nobody outside of pierce, kg, rondo and maybe bradley know their role.  you are not going to overachieve with IDIOCY like that going on.  you are not going to even consistently underachieve well with it.  every crappy team has a 5 game win streak in a year. 

now we are back to normal- role players ALL SHOWED UP LIKE CRAP against the worse team in the league- our bench players should be "UP" enough to carryus to victory in a game like that against a complete basement dweller.  but they were nowhere to be found.   neither was rondo.

you don't get those results without HARD WORK at confusing people, conflating roles and constant blurrying up of what people think / feel they are supposed to do!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Yeah Doc has no idea what he is doing. The guy has never won anything.

This is always one of the lamest arguments put forward in an attempt to make a point.

Let's examine your rationale.... Doc was coach of a team that won an nba title, therefore DOc knows all and is beyond criticism.. Thanks for such great insight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Karllost,

first - I am one of the most vocal critics of Terry.  If he can't hit a shot - he's a wase because he can't do anything else well.  He should be on the bench and I don't understand Doc playing him.  My only "guess" is that Barbosa shoots too much for Doc and he wants Barbosa to play within the offense.  I don't agree with that, but I'm guessing there has to be some logic.

However, in defense of Trollspanker's post:  Its not just that Doc happened to coach a team that won a championship.  Its that Doc was Coach of the year once, then won a championship, has taken teams to the Conference and NBA finals in the last 5 years, and has taken teams to higher performance levels than ALL of us thought (come on - who really thought the C's would get to one game of the NBA championship after the way they started last year?).  Even after the horrible start this year, the team has come around.  He got a lot of criticism when the played poorly.  Therefore he must get some credit when they finally start playing better.

No coach is above criticism.  But, we should also acknowledge that maybe he has some reason for playing Terry over Barbosa that we don't know about.  I don't like Doc's decision, but I don't think he's a bad coach just because I disagree with his decision.  I have never had the coaching success he has (and neither have you, Acie or others).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

Karllost,

first - I am one of the most vocal critics of Terry.  If he can't hit a shot - he's a wase because he can't do anything else well.  He should be on the bench and I don't understand Doc playing him.  My only "guess" is that Barbosa shoots too much for Doc and he wants Barbosa to play within the offense.  I don't agree with that, but I'm guessing there has to be some logic.

However, in defense of Trollspanker's post:  Its not just that Doc happened to coach a team that won a championship.  Its that Doc was Coach of the year once, then won a championship, has taken teams to the Conference and NBA finals in the last 5 years, and has taken teams to higher performance levels than ALL of us thought (come on - who really thought the C's would get to one game of the NBA championship after the way they started last year?).  Even after the horrible start this year, the team has come around.  He got a lot of criticism when the played poorly.  Therefore he must get some credit when they finally start playing better.

No coach is above criticism.  But, we should also acknowledge that maybe he has some reason for playing Terry over Barbosa that we don't know about.  I don't like Doc's decision, but I don't think he's a bad coach just because I disagree with his decision.  I have never had the coaching success he has (and neither have you, Acie or others).

Let me see if I can understand this.   You can have your perception of someone like Terry not being worth much but if others have a perception of Doc in the same light its wrong? Sounds kind of like it depend on who you like or don't like to me. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Below is the translation of the espn.brasil aritcle; 1) Barbosa is quoted saying he asked for a trade; 2) Doc has told him to be patient ("swallow and wait my chance") because 3) there will be a "firecracker", or some type of change (read the last statement in bold).

Hastily hired by the Boston Celtics, Leandro Barbosa not living its best moment in the NBA. The Brazilian is averaging just 4.9 points and 10.7 minutes per game - both the lowest marks of his career 9 years in the NBA. In an interview with radio "Bradesco Sports FM," Barbosa revealed that he even asked to leave the Celtics. "I will not lie to you, I tried to get out several times, but Danny Ainge (general manager of the franchise) does not want to let me go. He's a guy that comes admiring my basketball for many years. I was supposed to have got a good contract with the Boston Celtics, but did not. He will not let me go so no, "said the Brazilian. For its features to annotate offensive points and attack the basket, Leandrinho has suffered a bit with the position that has played in Boston. Rather than act as wing-owner (2 guard), coach Doc Rivers has posed as the owner (point guard), reserve for Rajon Rondo, the NBA leader in assists. "The situation is this. I have to swallow and wait my chance comes. I have to be aware that this is what will happen. But coach talks to me normally tells me to always be prepared, anything can happen. It is logical that the wing-guard (shooting guard) I feel better. I got used very well in this position after I arrived here in the NBA. But the position of # 1 makes me uncomfortable too. I'm different from a Steve Nash, a Rajon Rondo, but I know my way around. "Said Barbosa. "At the time I was elected 6th best NBA player, I played in both positions. In that position he (Doc Rivers) put me here was what made teams were interested in me. I thank Doc I like to play point guard. When I left Brazil I came out as owner (point guard), I feel comfortable. Logico that after I got here I started to play more than 2 (wing-guard), "he added. Even after the trade requests unserved, Barbosa said some surprise can happen. "I do not know if it's pump, I can not say anything. A lot will happen. In a little while you will hear a firecracker there. "

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

It isn't Docs fault the Celtics have five gaurds who are used to playing big minutes.  One of them is going to be unhappy.

i find fault where doc has NOT defined a role for ANY of the lee, terry, barbosa.  terry has played SOO POORLY that barbosa deserves some minutes- especially when our offense goes stale.

but the issue is that barbosa has NO ROLE ON THIS TEAM.  just like darko.  let's face it, nobody outside of pierce, kg, rondo and maybe bradley know their role.  you are not going to overachieve with IDIOCY like that going on.  you are not going to even consistently underachieve well with it.  every crappy team has a 5 game win streak in a year. 

now we are back to normal- role players ALL SHOWED UP LIKE CRAP against the worse team in the league- our bench players should be "UP" enough to carryus to victory in a game like that against a complete basement dweller.  but they were nowhere to be found.   neither was rondo.

you don't get those results without HARD WORK at confusing people, conflating roles and constant blurrying up of what people think / feel they are supposed to do!

I agree with you there.  Barbosa should be getting minutes over Terry.  My point is that Ainge stocked the team with 2 guards that are used to getting minutes while leaving other positions weak.  As soon as Barbosa signed I assumed that he would be unhappy at some point.  The guy is too good to bea 5th option.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I agree with you there.  Barbosa should be getting minutes over Terry.  My point is that Ainge stocked the team with 2 guards that are used to getting minutes while leaving other positions weak.  As soon as Barbosa signed I assumed that he would be unhappy at some point.  The guy is too good to bea 5th option.

I think he would be happy if he was getting regular minutes.  Don't think it would have to be that many either.  I agree he should be getting some if not all of Terry's at this point.  Doc doesn't like to change rotations at all.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

I think he would be happy if he was getting regular minutes.  Don't think it would have to be that many either.  I agree he should be getting some if not all of Terry's at this point.  Doc doesn't like to change rotations at all.  

Barbosa is no slouch.  He is a former 6th man of the year and still has some good game.

It is too bad they can't find a taker for Terry because Rondo, Bradley, Lee and Barbosa is a sick rotation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Barbosa is no slouch.  He is a former 6th man of the year and still has some good game.

It is too bad they can't find a taker for Terry because Rondo, Bradley, Lee and Barbosa is a sick rotation.

Whats really bad is the guys we signed to contracts, Green, Terry, Bass, and maybe even Terry,  any or all of them would be hard to trade.  People keep saying we can trade Bass for a big man.  Who is going to take Bass for a big man that can play?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Whats really bad is the guys we signed to contracts, Green, Terry, Bass, and maybe even Terry,  any or all of them would be hard to trade.  People keep saying we can trade Bass for a big man.  Who is going to take Bass for a big man that can play?

No one. The Celtics would have to throw in a pick or take back a bad contract.  Green could still come around, if he got big minutes he would be reasonably productive, but Bass and Terry are mistakes.  And no that doesn't mean that I care at all the Ray Allen left.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

No one. The Celtics would have to throw in a pick or take back a bad contract.  Green could still come around, if he got big minutes he would be reasonably productive, but Bass and Terry are mistakes.  And no that doesn't mean that I care at all the Ray Allen left.

I don't care about Ray either.  He wouldn't have made any difference other than a little chemistry. I think we had to sign Bass  or let him go for nothing.  Looks like that would have been better in hindsight.  Bass is not terrible,  just that we want something out of him that he can't give.  I thought Terry was a good pickup.  If he played like he did at Dallas he would have been.  Who would have thought there would be that much difference from one year to the next.  I agree on Green.  He has looked more assertive lately.   Maybe its time to start him, bring PP off the bench.  Either that or PF.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I thought Terry was a good pick up too, not second guessing.  At this point though he is the 5th best guard on the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Karllost,

My post wasnt directed at playing Barbosa over Terry though.. It was emphasizing when Barbosa came here and was put in the lineup right away, he delivered bigtime for us.  Then he got benched! ........How's that for motivating a player?

Naturally many players/people would feel slighted and this is not a first for Doc. So there is my criticism. 

The fact Doc has more basketball credentials than me doesnt make him right or his opinion more relevant.  If that were the case, lets get Phil Jackson to proclaim the NBA champ and forget playing the games...afterall, his BB credentials far outweight any other living nba coach..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Karllost,

Let me see if I can understand this.   You can have your perception of someone like Terry not being worth much but if others have a perception of Doc in the same light its wrong? Sounds kind of like it depend on who you like or don't like to me. 

nice catch

Sections
Shortcuts