Bass contract/CBA question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bass contract/CBA question

[this one is for you Fierce]

Bass is clearly a keeper, he has a 4 million player option next season.

That option is not too much to kill our cap space... but it is likely less than he is worth.

What does the CBA say about extending him? If he picks up the option can we extend him at 4-5 years past that for anything we want? Or is it only 20% pay raises per season like in the old CBA.

So if it is 20% the max we can give him is 6 years 32 million:

'13 - 4m (player option)
    '14 - 4.8m
    '15 - 4.9m
    '16 - 5m
    '17 - 6m
    '18 - 7.2m

That gives us one of the best backup PF's in the league thru age 32.

or does he pick up the option in anticipation of starting next year w/ KG retired and earning a huge payday after that and not sign any extension

Do we retain his Bird right's if he declines the option? Could he not be on the cap and we have an extra 4 million in space to spend on FA's... THEN bring him back for a deal he worth (like 4 years 30 million?)

or does he stay on the cap at this years 4 million salry until we renounce his rights, in which case we can only offer him the MLE?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Bass contract/CBA question

This also brings me to a Jeff Green question.

All I ever heard was that we 'retain his rights'

What does that mean for the cap space we expect next summer?

With only Rondo/Pierce/Avery and Johnson under contract at 30.5 million... and Bass having that 4m option... does this mean we can use all 24-28 million in cap space and THEN keep Green on top of that?

If Green comes back at some modest deal... or even the 1 year 9 million we gave him this year... we will be under the 70 million lux tax threshold and able to use the full MLE on someone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

We could essential have Rondo-Avery-Pierce-Green-Bass and Johnson... plus TWO 1st rd picks, the ability to give TWO contracts out in the 4 year 55 million range (or at least offer Dwight the max and watch him turn it down) and then STILL have the 5m MLE (KG/Ray split?) and 3m mini MLE (bu vet PG?)

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Bass contract/CBA question:
    In Response to Re: Bass contract/CBA question : Yes we can because we own Jeff Green's Bird rights. So we don't have to worry about Jeff Green, he's definitely ours.
    Posted by Fiercest34

So he doesn't count anything towards the cap... but is technically a FA who can be offered a contract by other teams... only we can match it?

So Green will be told to wait until we spend all our cap space and then we will sign him for slightly more than the best contract offer he was give? I doubt anyone gambles more than the MLE on him.

(granted we could not spend anything till 2013 and just be a lotto club next season).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

rame It depends on what happens in July 2012. If the Celts have a shot at DH then Bass will have to wait for his turn to get a new contract. With the new CBA taking full effect in 2013-14 I think the Celts will just give Bass a pay raise. However, other teams could overpay him if he opts out next season.  
    Posted by Fiercest34

So it goes like this:

Option A: Bass picks up option - we owe him 4m next year

Option B: Bass turns down option

If it is option B can we just offer him a contract with our cap space or the MLE? Or do we retain his rights to exceed our cap to keep him, and if so, does the 4m he was paid this year count against our cap until we release those rights?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

and I would like to think that Ray/KG will split the MLE (2.5m) on 2 year contracts and retire the same year as Pierce.

Ray loves Boston, the tradition, the new england area (mom is local, like UConn is) and wants to go in the rafters (2 more years puts him on the level of Max/DJ). Even if he could get the full 2 year MLE deal elsewhere or a 1 year 7-9m deal... why turn down ending his career here over a few million when he has made 178m in his career?

KG is pretty disliked around the league and has made almost 300 million in his career (most ever?) I don't see him title chasing in another city, its retirement or Celtics.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Well the main question I guess I have is... if he thinks he can get 6-9 million a year and opts out.... do we have to formally release his rights.... meaning he doesn't count against our cap... in order to get his 4m from this year off the space we need for the summer

I remember under the old CBA you had to 'release the rights' to your own free agent in order to get all your cap space... and if you used it your own free agent could only return at the MLE or vet min

Can we use all 28 million in cap space... THEN match someone's 4 years 28 million offer for Bass??

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Guys, love the dialouge - fascinating.  However, Cuban is on record as saying that they will pursue hometown Texan Deron Williams next year.  Haven't heard him mention DH, of course DH has said he would play there.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Bass contract/CBA question : Exactly! Cuban wants DH and D-Will in Dallas together with Dirk. If Cuban pulls that off, ugh!
    Posted by Fiercest34

Well, if Kidd and LO come off the books, do they let Terry go, too?  If he's looking to dump Brandon Haywood, we'll take him!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Green, Bass, Paul, Rondo and the Rookies plus the $$$$$  We shuld be able to field a team in the top 10 next year.  If you watched Paul and Rose finish their games yesterday you will understand why we need Paul, Rondo does not finish great in the half court.  KG will most likely be out but Bass a keeper will do fine if Doc has a play or two for him.  The end of the NY game it was evident there was no play for Bass, come on Doc.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

My plan is to add Mayo and Thompson to starters Green, Rondo and Bass

Then the bench is Avery, Ray, Pierce, KG and Camby or JON

with the possiblity that we still have 1-2 out of Johnson, Moore and our 2 1st rd picks plus possibly the 3m mini MLE

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

In Response to Re: Bass contract/CBA question : Not exactly ... The new CBA says teams must match within three days or lose that player ... that would apply to Green as he will again be a RFA in 2012. "Teams have three days to match an offer sheet to its restricted free agent."
    Posted by Mployee8

Your new gimmick is becoming Fierce's alter ego? One poster asks Fierce a question and it is you who reply. LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Nothing wrong with mployee providing me with information that Fierce did not

It would be unfortunate if we lost a big chunk of cap space b/c some team went hard after Jeff Green day 1 of free agency and we had to match the contract within 72 hours...

of course Green isn't a restricted free agent... we just own the rights to pay him anything we want and not have to worry about exceeding the cap. So I don't think the 72 hour thing pertains to him. If he signed a contract we don't have the right to match it... he'd be gone. We'd just have to tell him not to sign anything till we are all done shopping and then pay him the same as the best offer he was getting.

That is tricky of course when you have agents involved

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts