Bass vs. Baby

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Re: Bass vs. Baby

About every three weeks Baby would have a really good game. Yuo'd thikn okay he's finnally arrived. Then next night he'd play with a lot of energy, bang around too much, get out of control, Doc sits him, he pouts, earns a spot back in the dog house. 

Bass appreas to play much more under control. I keep asking myself wheres this guy been all this time.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Bass is a better fit for our team right now, there's no question about that. One of Ainge's best moves in a long time. Baby struggling with weight, maturity issues as welll. Bass a lunchpail  guy who can bang, just what we need. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby:
    [QUOTE]How about Bass vs KG? Right now Bass is playing better than KG.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

He's scoring better than KG.  his assists, rebounding, defensive rotation, and blocks are not better.  I like Bass, though.  I think he should play WITH KG more.

I am a BBD fan.  I think he gets bashed too much and contributed more on defense than he got credit for and did a lot of inside dirty work against much larger people.  His head got in the way late last season and that's not Doc's fault, its BBD's fault (along with what I truly think was a knee injury).  

So, I was in favor of keeping BBD.  I was wrong.  I freely admit - Bass is better for us.  What we lost in BBD in rebounding, hustle plays, and Defense against bigger men is something he'll never get credit for.  But, this team needs offense and power finishing to complete plays.  Bass does that better and I'm glad we made the trade.  

I just wish Danny had recognized what BBD gave and recruited a "serviceable" big man to help out underneath.  Maybe Steimsma will fill the role cause it doesn't appear to be either Johnson nor Wilcox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

I would say that Glen Davis was a Celtic and a good one.  He got paid and I am gald.  WE have Bass and I like him also, but it is sad the way people talk about Glen and Kendrick and Delonte.  All three gave us what they had and we had a lot of wins with them.  Glen was asked to do all kind of things that were out of his game range and he did them as best he could and we won a lot of game.  Now just who was it asking Glen to play many times out of his game range and just who was it held the practice and just who was in charge of the team.  A young player like Glen would have been great on the second unit used to his strengths and with the staters placed in a situation that was good for his skills.  Doc takes none of the blame for anything and the board spews half truths like druken politicians.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : Nah, the only reason why I was rooting for Baby last season was because I had a bet with the atheist mployee. Baby had some good qualities but we all know he can't play above the rim.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

"...he can't play aboe the rim."........

NOR NEAR THE RIM...

baby-doll is toast away from C'S protection....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]I would say that Glen Davis was a Celtic and a good one.  He got paid and I am gald.  WE have Bass and I like him also, but it is sad the way people talk about Glen and Kendrick and Delonte.  All three gave us what they had and we had a lot of wins with them.  Glen was asked to do all kind of things that were out of his game range and he did them as best he could and we won a lot of game.  Now just who was it asking Glen to play many times out of his game range and just who was it held the practice and just who was in charge of the team.  A young player like Glen would have been great on the second unit used to his strengths and with the staters placed in a situation that was good for his skills.  Doc takes none of the blame for anything and the board spews half truths like druken politicians.
    Posted by maryngary[/QUOTE]

Glen WAS with the second unit, man!  The only reason he played starter minutes and out of position at times was the injuries.  Do you not remember how often we had Perk, JON, Shaq, KG, all injured?  JON barely played all year.  Perk played maybe 2 or 3 games before being traded.  Shaq played the first 1/3 of the season and then started missing games and by the end - never played at all.   So - who did you expect to play the minutes?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : Baby is not doing too well this season, 7.8 ppg and 3.8 rpg in 21.5 mpg with Orlando.

Yeah, but he gets to start and now he knows his "role".  How hard can it be to play basketball and not just do what the coaches tell you to do, unless, of course, you either can't or don't want to listen. Bass is better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : Baby is not doing too well this season, 7.8 ppg and 3.8 rpg in 21.5 mpg with Orlando.

Yeah, but he gets to start and now he knows his "role".  How hard can it be to play basketball and not just do what the coaches tell you to do, unless, of course, you either can't or don't want to listen. Bass is better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Not only that - but all those numbers will go down because Davis is a very lazy player.  As the year goes on he will try less; eat more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : Not only that - but all those numbers will go down because Davis is a very lazy player.  As the year goes on he will try less; eat more.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

That's just hater language and its simply not true. Davis played extremely well in the second half of the season the year we lost KG.  He wasn't lazy last year, either, he was a head case due to his pending free agency and a knee injury, but never was the guy lazy.

Just hater language.  Its a shame the way some fans don't appreciate what a player gave us when he gave his all.  He may not be an all star and it was good that he was traded for Bass, but let's not minimize what the guy did when he was here - he gave a LOT of hard work and success playing D and rebounding and taking charges and doing the hustle plays diving on the floor and fighting against much bigger players underneath.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : That's just hater language and its simply not true. Davis played extremely well in the second half of the season the year we lost KG.  He wasn't lazy last year, either, he was a head case due to his pending free agency and a knee injury, but never was the guy lazy. Just hater language.  Its a shame the way some fans don't appreciate what a player gave us when he gave his all.  He may not be an all star and it was good that he was traded for Bass, but let's not minimize what the guy did when he was here - he gave a LOT of hard work and success playing D and rebounding and taking charges and doing the hustle plays diving on the floor and fighting against much bigger players underneath.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Ditto Cfan

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Bass is a professional, Baby is a baby! 
    Not hater language, btw, as I have been on the guys case for two years now!!
    I am SO glad I don't get to see that stupid-ridiculous-no-chance-of-going-in fall away from the baseline.  I am also glad to see us get someone who doesn't get his shot blocked every time (yet continues to shoot).
    Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus for me, his name is Danny Ainge, and I am the happiest person in Celtic nation that he shipped this guy out of town!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Bass is a professional, Baby is a baby!  Not hater language, btw, as I have been on the guys case for two years now!! I am SO glad I don't get to see that stupid-ridiculous-no-chance-of-going-in fall away from the baseline.  I am also glad to see us get someone who doesn't get his shot blocked every time (yet continues to shoot). Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus for me, his name is Danny Ainge, and I am the happiest person in Celtic nation that he shipped this guy out of town!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Red I appreciated Baby a little more than you obviously.  I can see the things you didn't like.  Overall I think he was a good pick for us that really helped on the defensive side of the ball.  Moreso than Bass to this point.  Of course Bass hasn't had a chance to buy in to our defensive scheme yet so I can give him a pass on that.  His offense I like a lot more than I do BB.  I am sure the new will wear off of Brandon evenutally. But like you I am happy we did the trade. Comparing stats right now if big time in Brandon's favor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : Red I appreciated Baby a little more than you obviously.  I can see the things you didn't like.  Overall I think he was a good pick for us that really helped on the defensive side of the ball.  Moreso than Bass to this point.  Of course Bass hasn't had a chance to buy in to our defensive scheme yet so I can give him a pass on that.  His offense I like a lot more than I do BB.  I am sure the new will wear off of Brandon evenutally. But like you I am happy we did the trade. Comparing stats right now if big time in Brandon's favor.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your comments, and let us remember that we have a lot of new players, and no one is really standing out on D as of this moment.  Being longer and a better athlete, I think Bass WILL be a good defensive player as the year goes along.  Glen Davis was a great second round pickup - my problem was he thought he was much more valuable to the Celtics than he was.  I use the analogy of Mike Greenwell with the Red Sox.  He was a GOOD player.......not great.  He did things that made me crazy.  He was a terrible outfielder and baserunner.  But he:  put himself in the same sentence with Yaz and wanted to be paid like Kirby Puckett, despite being a singles hitter.  He cleaned out his locker in the middle of a pennant race over his contract status, and overall couldn't keep his mouth shut.  Every once in a while Boston has players that just drive me up the wall.  Kevin Gamble was the last Celtic  I can think of before BBD, but BBD is right up there all time with Greenwell for me!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : I appreciate your comments, and let us remember that we have a lot of new players, and no one is really standing out on D as of this moment.  Being longer and a better athlete, I think Bass WILL be a good defensive player as the year goes along.  Glen Davis was a great second round pickup - my problem was he thought he was much more valuable to the Celtics than he was.  I use the analogy of Mike Greenwell with the Red Sox.  He was a GOOD player.......not great.  He did things that made me crazy.  He was a terrible outfielder and baserunner.  But he:  put himself in the same sentence with Yaz and wanted to be paid like Kirby Puckett, despite being a singles hitter.  He cleaned out his locker in the middle of a pennant race over his contract status, and overall couldn't keep his mouth shut.  Every once in a while Boston has players that just drive me up the wall.  Kevin Gamble was the last Celtic  I can think of before BBD, but BBD is right up there all time with Greenwell for me!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]
    What about Kevin Gamble?  There was no internet back then and LA papers mentioned nothing about the Celtics and their day to day activities.  Give me some background info.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah Gamble drove you nuts?

He was a waiver-wire backup SF who likely got the absolute most talnet possible out of himself

Baby would have been a mid 1st rd pick if he was in shape, he would have been so much more here if he were in shape, and he took nights off, didn't listen to vets and did immature things off the court

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : What about Kevin Gamble?  There was no internet back then and LA papers mentioned nothing about the Celtics and their day to day activities.  Give me some background info.
    Posted by jdm894g[/QUOTE]

Well, his first couple of years, he had a nice role, and was like an underdog.  Then, if I recall, all of a sudden, he felt like we needed him to score 20 every game.  Rame is right, he did get the most out of his ability, but I question HIS opinion of his ability.  He took chances, took bad shots...........he was on a team with Bird, McHale and Lewis, and he was not an option.....just thought he was.  He just made me nuts!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

I never had a problem with Gamble.  He was a decent player along with Ed Pickney.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah

Red made some big errors in 1989, right after he turned 70, which was why the team hired Gavitt

I think a part of Red died when Bias did

The smart move in '89 was to take the Schrempf/1st rd pick offer for McHale over the Pinckney/Kleine offer for Ainge.

Then the team should have drafted Tim Hardaway over Michael Smith like they almost did anyhow, Red changing his mind last second. The Dallas pick would have been Divac, who Celts really liked after having playing an exhibition game vs. his euro club and watched him and Dino kill us.

Then in 1990 w/ Ainge, Shaw and Hardaway here we'd not have drafted Dee Brown but needed a PF and taken a guy like Jayson Williams, Alaa Abdelnaby or Elden Campbell.

The 90-93 teams would have been something like:

C - Parish, Divac
    SF - Bird, Williams
    F - Schrempf
    SF - Lewis, Gamble, Fox
    SG - Ainge, Shaw
    PG - Hardaway, DJ

and lost to the Bulls each finals in a much more glorifying end to Larry's career

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bass vs. Baby : Gamble was better than Pinckney. Pinckney always had his shot blocked inside the paint, he was like Kendrick Perkins on offense. That's why he lost the starting job to Gamble in 1990-91. The Celtics were better off keeping Ainge at that time. Ainge played great basketball up to 1995 with the Suns.

Maybe my memory is bad but I recall Pinkney played power forward while Gamble was mainly shooting guard\small forward.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bird may have played through '93 if they ha rested him a little more.

When Reggie collapsed it would have been great if they took the advice of multiple Dr's and told him to never play again... blown it all up then, gone after top picks in 94-98 with their own and ones they got through trading Hardaway, and Divac.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts