BBD's Jumper

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from b12696. Show b12696's posts

BBD's Jumper

Since Davis seems to be a hot topic right now, I thought I'd voice my opinion now that I'm at a computer for the first time since yesterdays game. Baby is falling in love with his jump shot. He is all too confident with it right now, shooting a 3 late in the 4th quarter, early in the shot clock with the C's down. (That's like something 'Sheed would do) and firing away jumpers in transition. That's not his game. I'm glad Doc finally said something to him yesterday, after the 3 yesterday you could see him mouthing "a f*cking 3?". Davis is short for a power forward and his solid 20 foot and in jumper nicely compliments his ability to put the ball on the floor or overpower people slightly bigger than him in the post. But right now he is looking for his jumper first, and then to post up second. And for the life of me, I honestly can't figure out why, no matter how much he was feeling it, he took that 3. That basically cost the game. 

On another note, it really pissed me off that nobody on the Celtics bothered to foul when the Hornets got the 'bound with 5 seconds left, when we were losing by only 2. Did they give up? Yup, and that's what happens on this team without Garnett motivating them. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: BBD's Jumper

Great post and we can only hope that Glen doesn't shoot any 3's again. At least Rasheed could make 3's on a consistent basis.  Even though, he would continue to take 3's at times  when he wasn't making them. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Good post.. Baby should take his open jump shot whenever it presents itself.. Hes developed into a good spot up shooter but....

then he starts with these fade aways that never fall...and now that 3!

Baby is falling in love with himself...thinking hes a star now. His ego getting big, just listen to his comments to the press. Hes getting a little out of hand and Doc or someone needs to slap him around (figuratively) to straighten him out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

No excuse for his shot selection.  He has to keep the ball moving.

One big problem is that Rondo is missing, and the ball is being pounded to death.  We are wasting to much of the 24 second clock before we get into anything.  Jermaine clogs evertything up on the "O". He seems to have no feel for where he is supposed to be.

Baby is best when he is attacking the basket.  That means getting him the ball close to the basket.  Good passes that give him a chance for the spin move, and finish.

He, and others, are getting the ball with little time left on the clock.  Then they have to look for a shot. 

Rondo distributes the ball  to the right guy on time and on target. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In Response to Re: BBD's Jumper:
    [QUOTE]Great post and we can only hope that Glen doesn't shoot any 3's again. At least Rasheed could make 3's on a consistent basis.  Even though, he would continue to take 3's at times  when he wasn't making them. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

BBD seems to me to be extremely fatigued. The first thing players start to do when gassed is to start jacking up shots from outside. Sheed was a good example of that!  Even Glen's inside game is suffering now and it takes a lot more than one day off to get it back. Unfortunately there doesn't look like any meaningful rest is on the horizon and we can probably expect more of the same.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Good post.  BBD, Ray, and Paul are all tired at the end of games because we're short handed and their minutes are up. Makes work weak legs affecting the jumper and for "tired decisions".  Ray's shows up in his long range jumper not falling and him not running as hard to get open.  BBD is all about the energy and when he plays too many minutes, we're not getting the energy underneath on the boards and the hustle plays.  

At the end of the game - no foul:  don't know if they're not motivated cause KG isn't there.  I'd guess that had nothing to do with it.  I think they just had a momentary brain frt because they were deflated emotionally by missing that last shot.  They just got down emotionally for a second and lost focus.  Doesn't matter - they would have lost anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from b12696. Show b12696's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BBD's Jumper : BBD seems to me to be extremely fatigued. The first thing players start to do when gassed is to start jacking up shots from outside. Sheed was a good example of that!  Even Glen's inside game is suffering now and it takes a lot more than one day off to get it back. Unfortunately there doesn't look like any meaningful rest is on the horizon and we can probably expect more of the same.
    Posted by heirplain[/QUOTE]
    I disagree, it seems to me this was coming on all season, with it finally culminating yesterday. I don't believe that fatigue led to that 3 with so little time left in the quarter. Now what I wouldn't have minded is 2 dribbles in and then spot up, thats what PF with jumpers do (Garnett) and he was wide open, but even on post ups, it seems to me Davis, while close to the basket, instead of backing down, faces up, takes a dribble, and fires a fadeaway with little chance of going in. And I truely hope it isn't fatigue causing this because he will continue to get 35-40 min a game until KG returns and 25-30 when he returns.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Great post and we can only hope that Glen doesn't shoot any 3's again. At least Rasheed could make 3's on a consistent basis.  Even though, he would continue to take 3's at times  when he wasn't making them. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

serious? sheed was in the low 30's most of last year, hit them a little better in the playoffs.  i wouldn't call that great shooting.  sheed stank out loud all of last year's regular season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Good post.. Baby should take his open jump shot whenever it presents itself.. Hes developed into a good spot up shooter but.... then he starts with these fade aways that never fall...and now that 3! Baby is falling in love with himself...thinking hes a star now. His ego getting big, just listen to his comments to the press. Hes getting a little out of hand and Doc or someone needs to slap him around (figuratively) to straighten him out
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

which comments?  when he said duh white howard has the same game as in high school?  that's just the truth son!  and i'd take davis over al horford and 20 other centers trying to body up howard in any game of importance because davis has what the others lack to do the job- strength.

but seriously, what promo's has he cut lately that i've missed where he paints himself as an ego-drone problem child?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from b12696. Show b12696's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BBD's Jumper : which comments?  when he said duh white howard has the same game as in high school?  that's just the truth son!  and i'd take davis over al horford and 20 other centers trying to body up howard in any game of importance because davis has what the others lack to do the job- strength. but seriously, what promo's has he cut lately that i've missed where he paints himself as an ego-drone problem child?
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]
    Not quite an ego-drone problem child, but he's forgeting his role, he's supposed to be the "energizer bunny" remember?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BBD's Jumper : which comments?  when he said duh white howard has the same game as in high school?  that's just the truth son!  and i'd take davis over al horford and 20 other centers trying to body up howard in any game of importance because davis has what the others lack to do the job- strength. but seriously, what promo's has he cut lately that i've missed where he paints himself as an ego-drone problem child?

Whats it matter that Howard has the same moves since HS...even if its the truth.. where does BBD get off talkin about another NBA players shortcomings to the press??? ..especially when that player is 10x better than he is..

He also said the Magic cant beat the Celtics... hes also said alot of other ignorant things..  Point being, when your the big dog and you want to put your big mouth out there, be better than who ur talking about.. and be good enough of a player to say it. BBD isnt..

His game is starting to show the same thing.. arrogance.. Hes beginning to think hes a star...and acting like a pompous star. Thing is hes not a star... just pompous.  His outside game has suddenly included many more fade away jumpers..which rarely connect.. and a 3 pointer with lotsa time on the clock in crunch time... thats called being undisciplined... and its all recent stuff.  Yea, Id say his ego is gettin the better of him.. I think Doc feels the same

Hey, youd take BBD over 20 other centers huh? Youd take him over Horford but.. I didnt hear you say youd take him over Howard. Well, thats who Baby got the big mouth with.. guess you missed that part. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

at the end of the day, davis has won more than howard has.  howard's career trajectory is in limbo.  if the magic don't win it all this year, it'll be tragic.  really tragic.  then howard flies away to start over and "leaves" them.  boo hoo for both sides.

i thought when howard came into the league that he would be devastating in four years time.  instead he's still the same brick layin dude.  shak minus 50 pounds plus some jumping ability. 

all in all, who cares is what i say.  your pariah just grunted out 15 and 11 with 8 dimes on 1 turnover with 2 steals and i'd say he didn't really have a good night shooting the ball.  was it an arrogant game?  were you ready to hang and burn effagies of faty davis in the first half when he was 1-7?

derwite howard could only dream of that sort of versatility.  howard is a dunk-or-bust offensive cave man (skills wise) who is probably the best reboudner in the game.  would i want to pay max contract for that?  not if it was my team. 

so all in all, maybe the celts give davis less microphone time but i think it's a lot of hubbub about nothing in the points you bring up.  i've seen much worse "locker room wall' crap served up by worse players and i guarantee you that davis will not be saying anything late in the season when it IS locker room posting time for arrogant statements. 

so, relax.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I dont know if youre really trying to make a point that BBD is better than Howard lol.  Skills arent the complete measure of a player.. and for you to rattle off BBD stats and make a case that Howard doesnt measure up due to his lack of versatility... well, I dont know what I can say to you.

YOu also state that Howard hasnt won anything, implying Baby has... I can only assume that because BBD was on our title team... getting very limited minutes and playing in only  1or2 finals games that championship season that somehow.. his championship  elevates him in some weird way.

Sorry, I just dont follow your logic at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

BBD has every right to point out the limits of Howard's game especially when during the game he had just played Howard was horrible.  BBD played well until the end when the whole team floundered.  He has earned a right to make comments about a pampered limited player like Howard even if they are extremely valuable to their teams.

Howard is a big phony, one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen and acting like he is some sort of god fearing teddy bear. BBD was right to point out they can't beat us in a game that is important, really what do want him to say? Howard was good and overwhelming in a game where he could do nothing. Look at the stats.

This team needs some fire and arrogance to win 18. BBD almost had a triple double tonight. Whether you want to admit it or not the guy has earned the right to speak his mind about a over rated player no matter what the reason for he has for it.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

BBD is such a unique player.  Very different, but unique in the way that Rondo is unique and a lot of people don't get that he's really a good player.  Maybe not a superstar caliber player, but very good.  He's such a focus with KG out and that says a lot about how good he is.  He's not KG, but he really is good.  He's probably the best in the league at taking a charge and that's just as good as a steal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]BBD has every right to point out the limits of Howard's game especially when during the game he had just played Howard was horrible.  BBD played well until the end when the whole team floundered.  He has earned a right to make comments about a pampered limited player like Howard even if they are extremely valuable to their teams. Howard is a big phony, one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen and acting like he is some sort of god fearing teddy bear. BBD was right to point out they can't beat us in a game that is important, really what do want him to say? Howard was good and overwhelming in a game where he could do nothing. Look at the stats. This team needs some fire and arrogance to win 18. BBD almost had a triple double tonight. Whether you want to admit it or not the guy has earned the right to speak his mind about a over rated player no matter what the reason for he has for it.  
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

What do you mean when you say "BBD has every right to point out the limits of Howard's game "?  Who gave him this right?

We rarely see players calling out other players in the press and pointing out (humiliating actually) their skillset.  It happens but not very often and when it does it's usually a much better player giving it to a lesser player.. not the other way around.  Kinda like KG calling Villane.... (the Piston player) a nobody.

Now before you start saying how good BBD is... and he is good and valuable to the C's, remember he's not even a starter and please dont start getting carried away and comparing him to Howard. 

Yes, DH is a dirty player and I dont like him either. Yes, DH is very limited in his offensive skills. But DH is on another level than BBD and there is not one NBA team, if given a choice, would choose BBD over DH.

My point through all this is suddenly BBD has become more bold and critical in his comments to the media... he wasnt like this in previous years.  hes become more bold with his play on the court... Yes hes gotten better but suddenly BBD is chucking up a 3 in crunch time early in the clock..(never before in my memory), hes taking many fall away jumpers, which rarely connect.

The pattern Im seeing is recently BBD is talking & acting on the court in a different personality. More cocky and self serving imo.  I dont think its a good development... you may have a differrent opinion, nothing wrong with that 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Thanks for getting this thread back on track tompenny. B.B's jump shot was much better during the second half of the Raptors game. B.B has to mix it up with drives, jumpers and post moves. He usually does and when his jumper is falling it opens up the rest of his offensive game as the defenders have to play him closely on the perimeter. This is the case for almost any player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]I dont know if youre really trying to make a point that BBD is better than Howard lol.  Skills arent the complete measure of a player.. and for you to rattle off BBD stats and make a case that Howard doesnt measure up due to his lack of versatility... well, I dont know what I can say to you. YOu also state that Howard hasnt won anything, implying Baby has... I can only assume that because BBD was on our title team... getting very limited minutes and playing in only  1or2 finals games that championship season that somehow.. his championship  elevates him in some weird way. Sorry, I just dont follow your logic at all.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

here's the logic

1) for the max $ that he will take up in his new contract, i believe howard to be a waste of money

2) howard may be a long long time if ever away from winning it all unless another juggernaut of so-called stars forms around him. 

4) howard is the same player he was in high school, i don't know why people find that offensive, it's just the truth.

5) davis on the other hand has changed his game, his conditioning and is improving, whereas howard is not visibly improving.

so there you have my take on how a 3m fat guy can be a better value than a max contract un-evolving brick layer.  i'd rather have nobody on my team than dwight howard at the money that he's going to get.  mark my words.  orlando does NOT win it all this year and howard walks.  to where? 

is the FT suddenly going to be natural to dewey?  does he develope a 10 foot radius game as compared to his current 3 foot game?  nope and nope.  you'd have to pair him with the premier pick and roll guard in the game and then still do tons of work that hasn't been done to have dwight worth anything @ max contract money in my book. 

he's a fine rebounder, a good shot blocker and not much more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

[QUOTE]1)....

There is some truth in your statement, but:
    1)Who knows if Howard is not doing a "LeQuitter" and signs for less than maximum salary?
    2)With Rondo he will have at least 4-5 easy Dunks/game on top to his attemps now!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BBD's Jumper : here's the logic 1) for the max $ that he will take up in his new contract, i believe howard to be a waste of money 2) howard may be a long long time if ever away from winning it all unless another juggernaut of so-called stars forms around him.  4) howard is the same player he was in high school, i don't know why people find that offensive, it's just the truth. 5) davis on the other hand has changed his game, his conditioning and is improving, whereas howard is not visibly improving. so there you have my take on how a 3m fat guy can be a better value than a max contract un-evolving brick layer.  i'd rather have nobody on my team than dwight howard at the money that he's going to get.  mark my words.  orlando does NOT win it all this year and howard walks.  to where?  is the FT suddenly going to be natural to dewey?  does he develope a 10 foot radius game as compared to his current 3 foot game?  nope and nope.  you'd have to pair him with the premier pick and roll guard in the game and then still do tons of work that hasn't been done to have dwight worth anything @ max contract money in my book.  he's a fine rebounder, a good shot blocker and not much more.

Well, now your bringing contracts into it... the sand keeps shifting with your argument lol.. but Ill play along:

1) for the max $ that he will take up in his new contract, i believe howard to be a waste of money .. fortunately for DH, the market is willing to pay much more than you

2) howard may be a long long time if ever away from winning it all unless another juggernaut of so-called stars forms around him. isnt that the case with just about every NBA champion?

4) howard is the same player he was in high school, i don't know why people find that offensive, it's just the truth (you skipped 3) do you really believe Howard was capable of doing everything hes doing now when he was in HS? His game has changed, his offense has improved some lately and hes certainly better than what he was in HS.  But I understand your point...he hasnt improved all that much and nothing like BBD has

5) davis on the other hand has changed his game, his conditioning and is improving, whereas howard is not visibly improving. so there you have my take on how a 3m fat guy can be a better value than a max contract un-evolving brick layer. I cant argue your point here..BBD has improved his game each year and in a big way. Howard hasnt done the same... but now youre talking about who's a better value for their contract... that wasnt what you were saying earlier... straight up, every team would take DH over BBD..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Just to add to talking up BBD's game.  Is there any other power forward or center in the league who spends as much time on the floor diving after loose balls and taking charges.  That level of effort and desire brings your team up around you not unlike KG's defensive effort brings his team up to his level.  Did you notice Shaq dive accross the floor to save a ball going out of bounds and make a nice save of a posession in the last game.  I like Shaq, but generally don't expect him to dive accross the floor like that and I see that as being influenced by Davis being willing to flail around on the floor and do whatever he needs to do on the floor to add value.  Luke did the same thing basically and dove to tap the ball away from a defender trying to make a steal and save a possession.  I would say Davis is the leader on the team for this aspect of the game and it isn't pretty, but gettng an extra 2,3,5,8 possesions a game is the difference in a W or an L. 

Sections
Shortcuts