Being out rebounded is our biggest concern

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Being out rebounded is our biggest concern

You're on the one problem that I've harped on over and over.  Rather than blaming the problem on one player (BBD can't rebound or JON is a stiff or Shaq is too old), the Celtics brass (in particular, DOC) better have a plan for getting this team to rebound better.  I can understand lack of offensive rebounds (we want to get back on D and force the other team into a half court game).  Its the DEFENSIVE rebounds I am worried about.  We aren't trying to get out and break.  We need to block the other team off of THEIR offensive boards and limit them to one shot.  

Perhaps its our rotations that gets us out of position?  The very thing that forces others to have lower shooting percentages (in general) may prevent us from being in good rebounding position.  I can't say that for sure.....I'm just struggling with why our hole team doesn't rebound well.   

I do realize that part of it is the lack of KG and Perk (our top two rebounders).  Let's hope their being back will help solve this problem.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I think once the playoffs start you have less games, less travel, more rest and more physical play rebounding will turn in our favor.

When KG got hurt this is why I said Shaq, JON and BBD are going to have to step up and in reality they really haven't.

When the C's lose a game is it really the rebounding that is the cause for the loss? I don't believe it is. I think it's offensive and defensive execution. On offense when the ball is moving they're unstoppable. On defense when they are on a string and everyone is moving they are tough to score on. I don't think DOc puts an emphasis on rebounding as he does overall team defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Bias, good points.  Certainly offensive execution suffers when we go to post ups rather than moving the ball, but remember also that the Defense of the other team tightens up so offensive execution is tougher and the star sometimes have to be more creative at that point.  One way to counteract the difficulty the other team's defense presents is to rebound!   

So, while I agree that execution is critical, I also think the fall back is to get the rebound so that (a) we get another chance or (b) we prevent them from getting another try.

I agree with Doc's not putting an emphasis on offensive rebounding, but defensive rebounding is the closeout of good defense.  If you don't get the defensive rebound, then you're defensive effort was all wasted.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

i think the trend will continue if we have the present rotation with no kg or perk.. if we have those 2 bak, we will return to what was in the playoffs last year if not better with shaq and jo with second unit. guys dont get taller or more athletic just because they are at home. our 7 footers simply arent as explosive off the ground as other teams' guys!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

In Response to Re: Being out rebounded is our biggest concern:
    You're on the one problem that I've harped on over and over.  Rather than blaming the problem on one player (BBD can't rebound or JON is a stiff or Shaq is too old), the Celtics brass (in particular, DOC) better have a plan for getting this team to rebound better.  I can understand lack of offensive rebounds (we want to get back on D and force the other team into a half court game).  Its the DEFENSIVE rebounds I am worried about.  We aren't trying to get out and break.  We need to block the other team off of THEIR offensive boards and limit them to one shot.   Perhaps its our rotations that gets us out of position?  The very thing that forces others to have lower shooting percentages (in general) may prevent us from being in good rebounding position.  I can't say that for sure.....I'm just struggling with why our hole team doesn't rebound well.    I do realize that part of it is the lack of KG and Perk (our top two rebounders).  Let's hope their being back will help solve this problem.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

When one says "BBD doesn't rebound well" that doesn't mean that one is blaming it all on one player.  It simply means that BBD doesn't rebound well.  The extrapolation comes from you unless you can find someone that says "the Celtics are losing because BBD doesn't rebound well."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Being out rebounded is our biggest concern:
    In Response to Re: Being out rebounded is our biggest concern : When one says "BBD doesn't rebound well" that doesn't mean that one is blaming it all on one player.  It simply means that BBD doesn't rebound well.  The extrapolation comes from you unless you can find someone that says "the Celtics are losing because BBD doesn't rebound well."
    Posted by Icon11

I know that....but why single him out after a loss (not this thread but several others)?  My point is....the team has an overall issue and that's more important than "BBD doesn't rebound well".  My point is....neither does anyone else other than Garnett (I don't count Perk - he's not played all year).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

AND by the way, Icon, read my overall post again.....I wasn't talking ONLY about BBD's rebounding.  I was talking about the way we attack a player's weakness (read the thread and you'll see I gave 3 examples and they were just examples) rather than thinking that perhaps we have a total team problem that hurt us last playoffs against LA and is hurting us this year, as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

There's been a few games go by where rondo, pierce, and even robinson were leaders in stats for rebounding.  if you wantch the games nobody boxes out and nobody for the most part and maybe 1 guy makes any effort on the offensive boards.  I could see saying rebounding is not a huge issue if the players on the floor were doing the basics of how to rebound by boxing out a player and then going after the ball.  Tommy harps on this all the time lately and it is clearly true.  The Cs bigs do not rebound like they need to secure the ball.  They seem to get it if it is an easy rebound, but when your guards consistenly outrebound your bigs, or you drop in a bench player - see Luke - and he gets 11 rebounds just because he's trying pretty hard at it, that says a lot about what the other guys are doing or not doing while they're on the floor.  I'd tell everyone on the team, you get one shot for every rebound you get - so, if you don't get 10 rebounds in a game, you better not be taking 10 shots.  That's like asking someone else on the team to do the dirty work so you can take a shot at the scoring title, or at least pad your scoring numbers so you can sign a big contract next year.  see Glen Davis.  He used to get offensive rebounds all the time, how many has he gotten lately?  He used to get 8 or 9 offensive rebounds for every 10 defensive rebounds.  This year he gets about one offensive rebound for every 3 or 4 defensive rebounds.  It is possible that is a coaching change in strategy, but he was pretty good on the offensive glass the last 3 years, not so much at all really this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

It's coaching and old legs. Can only change one of those. Opposing teams are crashing the offensive boards for misses; the way to make them pay for that is to fast break the ball up court on secured rebounds but the Celts have barely run this year. As for Glen not getting offensive rebounds, also likely on the coach and what I think is his erroneous lack of valuing offensive rebounds.

Sections
Shortcuts