Bench needs to step up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Bench needs to step up

8 points in game 1 and 14 in game 2.  The bench is not supporting us at all we have a 10 pt lead in the 1st and the starters sit, 3 minutes later we are up 1. They need to hold us down. Green and delonte are very indecisive right now. Kristic has dissapeared.
    Also doc needs to stop taking out the entire 1st unit and replacing it with the entire 2nd unit ( he usually leaves one starter in though) he should be mixing and matching example, 3 starters and 2 bench guys. Cuz our bench has no leadership they have no flow on the offensive end. Id like to see delonte with rondo on the floor.
     I thought this was the reason for the trade to get added depth. Our bench has to really improve moving forward cuz weve got some old tired legs and we are putting too much pressure on the big 4.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Re: Bench needs to step up

In Response to Bench needs to step up:
    [QUOTE]8 points in game 1 and 14 in game 2.  The bench is not supporting us at all we have a 10 pt lead in the 1st and the starters sit, 3 minutes later we are up 1. They need to hold us down. Green and delonte are very indecisive right now. Kristic has dissapeared. Also doc needs to stop taking out the entire 1st unit and replacing it with the entire 2nd unit ( he usually leaves one starter in though) he should be mixing and matching example, 3 starters and 2 bench guys. Cuz our bench has no leadership they have no flow on the offensive end. Id like to see delonte with rondo on the floor.  I thought this was the reason for the trade to get added depth. Our bench has to really improve moving forward cuz weve got some old tired legs and we are putting too much pressure on the big 4.
    Posted by gman101019[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. I was thinking the exact same thing. When we were blown out in Miami losing the second seed, The Heat's starters only outscored our starters by three points. The blowout was their bench dominating our bench and the Heat have a terrible bench. 

In order to move on and compete for a championship we need our bench to play a lot better, they need to score and they need stops. 

I am hoping that if shaq comes back, the presense of one of the O'Neil's on the bench will help. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

Kristic who's that....

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

This is the reason we are not dominating. The bench is doing nothing.

Green did alright, but the rest did not help. and i expect better than alright from a guy we traded our center for.

Step it up Green, West, and Davis!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I was waiting for someone to realize how the need for support from the bench.  When the C's won the title the bench was huge.  There was always a contribution from someone.  We had steady play with Posey every night and contributions from everyone at different times.  This bench has to form an identity and help if the C's are going deep into the playoffs this year.  There seems to be a lack of confidence and energy right now.  I was mad the whole night after the bench let that early 10 point lead slip away in just a few minutes.  I hope Doc can get a rotation that works as the playoffs get tougher.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Yes, it does!!!  Oh you were talking about the players.

PA

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Very frustrating when our starters get us a lead and then the bench does its thing. I cringe when the clock is ticking down to sit KG, JON etc and our 2nd unit comes in.

Doesnt matter what lead we have, we give it up. This cant continue.  Individually, we have what should be very good players coming off the bench. Our coach better figure it out or replace the stiffs with the other stiffs on the 3rd unit..what do we have to lose?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsSox. Show CeltsSox's posts

How can the folks on the bench "step up" when Kris plays 3 minutes and Jeff Green plays 12 minutes. Doc, as he did with Nate, does not create an element of confidence in bench players. He really never has. The "rap" on Doc in Orlando is that he was not able to "tap into" the talent of younger players or veteran bench players. Doc leads the league in character for coaches which creates a great amount of personal support. However, the "version" of the Celtics should win a minimum of two championships before the transition to the next generation. That is, considering the talent and investments in players' salaries. One could also conclude the injuries issues are directly related to the minutes the veterans have played in the four years under Doc. The real coaching hero for 2008 may just now be the coach in Chicago. The bench guys are more than capable if they can get some playing time without the fear of being yanked if they make a quick mistake.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

The bench needs to run more.  I don't see Delonte racing up the floor like Rondo.  They might need to insert Arroyo or someone else at the point and let Delonte play the 2.  Also without a back up 5, we are getting exposed on the boards.  Big Baby isn't a 5, but plays that position when in.  Kristic is way to soft on defense. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Plain and simple. They are afraid to miss shots.

Jeff, and Delonte need to stop being so damn hesistant and shoot. You know where Jermaine got his confidence from? Taking shots and doing his job on defense.

For us to do anything going forward we need Green to score in the range 5-12 points. That shouldn't be that hard. I hate when he is running back on the fast break and then he stops doing anything when the offense begins to set up. Like really? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

i wouldnt mind seeing Arroyo give it a shot, see if he can run the offense and the bench guys invloved.  I know West is a better defender, but we need scoring off the bench!   I dont care too much for Arroyo, but at the least he can make a shot or a pass.  We are gonna die waiting for Baby and Greens game to come around.  I thought that was why you have different options on the bench.  If guys arent producing, let someone else try.  I am gonna be so mad if we lose a series without even seeing what certain players can do.  What can it hurt...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

doc's creativity = nil.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

when i watched both benches last night it seemed the celtics were playing to cautious. and nothing got done. they have to just go for it sometimes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsSox. Show CeltsSox's posts

In Response to Re: Bench needs to step up:
    [QUOTE]doc's creativity = nil.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Doc's a great person and very popular. However, his overall record in Orlando and Boston, given the talent that he has had, really speaks for itself. For those Celtics fans that are satisfied with one championship with this version of the C's, hats off to you. However, with the lock out a reality, Celtics' Nation may have a long wait ahead of us. Use your talent Doc. Put them on the court let their natural instincts take over and let the chips fall where they may fall. Without Shaq, what other strategy would make sense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

[QUOTE]How can the folks on the bench "step up" when Kris plays 3 minutes and Jeff Green plays 12 minutes. Doc, as he did with Nate, does not create an element of confidence in bench players. He really never has. The "rap" on Doc in Orlando is that he was not able to "tap into" the talent of younger players or veteran bench players. Doc leads the league in character for coaches which creates a great amount of personal support. However, the "version" of the Celtics should win a minimum of two championships before the transition to the next generation. That is, considering the talent and investments in players' salaries. One could also conclude the injuries issues are directly related to the minutes the veterans have played in the four years under Doc. The real coaching hero for 2008 may just now be the coach in Chicago. The bench guys are more than capable if they can get some playing time without the fear of being yanked if they make a quick mistake.
    Posted by CeltsSox[/QUOTE]

I agree totally here. Jeff Green has 6pts. and 3 rebounds in 12 minutes. BBD had less in 24. Green needs to be on the floor instead of BBD if we aren't going to play JO. Match-ups dictated BBD last night. I would like to see a lengthier, taller and better jumping Green on the floor. It was BBD's defense that let Jeffries get to the hoop to take the lead. Doc needs to get Krstic out there too. They both look scared to make mistakes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bench needs to step up : I agree totally here. Jeff Green has 6pts. and 3 rebounds in 12 minutes. BBD had less in 24. Green needs to be on the floor instead of BBD if we aren't going to play JO. Match-ups dictated BBD last night. I would like to see a lengthier, taller and better jumping Green on the floor. It was BBD's defense that let Jeffries get to the hoop to take the lead. Doc needs to get Krstic out there too. They both look scared to make mistakes.
    Posted by terrrapin[/QUOTE]

We can't do that. Baby wasn't good offensively but he does rebound and play defense. Green does neither. especially when he plays the 4. He is a decent defender at the 3 but put him at power forward and he becomes the invisible man. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I now think Danny knew about Greens passive nature but gambled that K.G. could get the most out of him.  I am starting to think the only way he will be effective is when on the floor with K.G., which we seldom see, but atleast this way, he wouldnt play scared, IMO and the way K.G. defers, Green would have no choice to try and score.  he is too timid off the bench and talent wise he is head and shoulders above anyone else on the bench, but he passes at any sign of resistance to score.  He needs to get mad and dunk on People. he is def. not the same player here that he was in OKC.  I saw one youtube highlight, of about 15 dunks, and most of them he was dunking ON someone...now he tries that finesse baby hook over everyone....whats up with that!?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

krstic and arroyo can't play defense. in doc's mind, this equates to a DNP or very limited minutes.

keep in mind that west is coming back from yet another injury. he'll improve

green is the most frustrating. 5 fouls is what limited his minutes tonight, forcing PP to play more than he should've. he still can't defend power forwards. I do think he'll win a playoff game for us.

I'm not worried about big baby. he's been too good for us all season. he'll bounce back.

if the bench had done their job, these 2 games would've been blowout victories

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

This is probably crazy, but I wonder if Wafer and Murphy could help? Murphy in the past has been able to board and I remeber in the the 3rd Heat game Von Wafer went off and a was huge asset off the bench. Wafer is what Bill Simmons would call an irrational confidence guy. Always thinks he is the best palyer on the court no matter who else is there. Nate Robinson and Eddie House have been the irrational confidence guy in the past for our team (it's not always good but can be).  

It's probably a crazy thought though, to play those guys, Doc watches them in practice everyday, so he knows who his best players are, and jerking guys around is not the way to build chemistry.  Still, if the bench doesn't stop losing leads, it might be time to try something sorta crazy, because right now we have, a guy who was 6th man of the year candiate, two starters from the Thunder, and an ex starter in delonte and they are getting killed by a bench the knicks gutted for Carmelo. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Green can play the 4 just fine when the Knicks 4 is Bill Walker.  So figure KG is now playing BBD's role at the end guarding Jefferies.  KG is bigger, faster, better than BBD or Jefferies.

So would you rather have BBD or KG step out on the double team???

PA

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

If we give the bench more playing time, and get them more involved in the rotation, they will step up. They are professionals. But they will not step up if you don't even play them, and when you do, you give them only 7minutes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

[QUOTE]If we give the bench more playing time, and get them more involved in the rotation, they will step up. They are professionals. But they will not step up if you don't even play them, and when you do, you give them only 7minutes.
    Posted by ChiefEddie1028[/QUOTE]

cheif  when you play the bench 2 minutes and they give up a 10 point lead its hard to play them at all.  I agree we should get them more minutes but they need to be positive minutes, not the crap we saw last night.  The bench was the main reason we didn't blow the knicks out last night.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

maybe give Arroyo Bradley and Wafer a chance?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bench needs to step up : cheif  when you play the bench 2 minutes and they give up a 10 point lead its hard to play them at all.  I agree we should get them more minutes but they need to be positive minutes, not the crap we saw last night.  The bench was the main reason we didn't blow the knicks out last night.
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

Mchampion, how can we be outrebounded and one of your best rebounders is on the bench just sitting. If we play Krstic and Murphy, (two seven footers), that would solve our rebounding problem. Again, if we play Sasha and Wafer, these guys can run and hustle with the young Knicks. Think about it.

Sections
Shortcuts