best 5 celtics as from 1982

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

best 5 celtics as from 1982

dennis johnson or rondo ?
    ray allen
    bird
    kg
    parish

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Re: best 5 celtics as from 1982

Five is such an arbitrary number that this discussion is useless.  McHale, Walton (at his short-lived best), Ainge, Lewis, and Pierce all at least deserve consideration.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

How about the best eight?

Bird
    McHale
    Parish
    Johnson
    Archibald
    KG
    Pierce
    Allen

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

League MVP Level

Bird
    Garnett

Multiple Allstar level

McHale
    Parrish
    Pierce
    Ray Allen

If I had to drop one, Ray would have to go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Re: best 5 celtics as from 1982:
    [QUOTE]League MVP Level Bird Garnett Multiple Allstar level McHale Parrish Pierce Ray Allen If I had to drop one, Ray would have to go.
    Posted by Celtics1986[/QUOTE]
    I agree with your picks. With the previous quotes from others, Archibald was well past his prime in 82. In his prime he was one of the best point guards of all time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Nate Archibald was great. He broke his arm during the 1982 conference finals vs Philly. Good chance we get by the Sixers with a healthy Tiny, even towards the end he was our best point guard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Glad someone mentioned Tiny.. in his early years he was spectacular and even though a shrimp, went through the lane like a hot knife through butter.

Fast and quick as lightning, one of my favorite players to watch.

He played well for the Celts but his time here was so limited and towards the end of his career...but still real good

Glad to see DJ's name up there too. There was a discussion on another thread about the best all around players in NBA history. DJ is in that category of one of the best all around players.. He did it all and was solid & reliable, especially in the clutch.

DJ was not good but great and I think his greatness was over shadowed some playing on those Bird Celtic teams with the Big 3. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]Glad someone mentioned Tiny.. in his early years he was spectacular and even though a shrimp, went through the lane like a hot knife through butter. Fast and quick as lightning, one of my favorite players to watch. He played well for the Celts but his time here was so limited and towards the end of his career...but still real good Glad to see DJ's name up there too. There was a discussion on another thread about the best all around players in NBA history. DJ is in that category of one of the best all around players.. He did it all and was solid & reliable, especially in the clutch. DJ was not good but great and I think his greatness was over shadowed some playing on those Bird Celtic teams with the Big 3. 
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]
    Karllost

Tiny is tied with Robertson for most minutes played(46.0) per game, in a single season, by a guard. See below for Tiny's stat line for his 1972-73 season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=1951&year_max=2011&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=G&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=mp_per_g

Not bad for a 150 lb bundle of bones.

Seems  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

good post Seems.....I remember watching Tiny run through the league...Kansas City/Omaha...?   

nee......Cincinnati.......and prior to that....Rochester, NY....my home town.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

By the time Archibald came to Boston he wasn't averaging 30 ppg and 11 dimes like he did with the Kings, being the only player to lead the league in points and assists in the same season.  But I remember Tiny saying that he was playing much better basketball.

As some one else pointed out had Tiny not gone down in 1982 we probably would have gone back to the finals that year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

As long as we're talking about the great Celtics since 1982, I'd add Cedric Maxwell.

Max was overshadowed by Bird, Parish, McHale and later DJ but he was simply a great big game player.

People forget that he was the MVP of the '81 playoffs, the first Bird-era title.  He shut up Moses Malone with a 28 point, 15 rebound performance in game five after Moses said he could get four guys from his hometown and beat the Celtics.

In '84's game seven he took James Worthy to school burning him for 24 points, going to the line something like 17 times, passing for  eight assist and grabbing 8 boards. 

The Max of the early 80's was the team's secret weapon, elevating his game when needed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

pliu I am with you on Max.....great player....20/10 type in his second year.....he took a back seat but played excellent "D" and had a great inside game around the basket....big reason we won two titles in a four year run.....met the guy....he is very nice and has a terrific sense of humor....always loved Max!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Max had that swagger.  In big games he often took on a glow that said, "This game's over."

In the '84 finals he slowly but surely got into Worthy's head.  Remember him laughing and giving the choke sign after Worthy bricked a FT?  Worthy terrified me.  Early in that series it seemed like the C's had no answer for him.  But Max found a way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]Five is such an arbitrary number that this discussion is useless.  McHale, Walton (at his short-lived best), Ainge, Lewis, and Pierce all at least deserve consideration.
    Posted by Number6Fan[/QUOTE]

i think the dilemma of who would be your starting five is what makes this a discussion.  For one season without being able to pick the backups and bench, this is mine.  Chemistry is everything

D.J.
      Ray Allen
      Bird
      Garnett
      Parish

At first thought I'm taking an '82 Tiny over D.J. and Rondo.  Bird's ability to grab offensive boards is going to offset Rondo's rebounding edge.  However, D.J.'s defense/size advantage makes it a difficult choice and if Doc's the coach then the edge is going to D.J.  I'm torn on this one because D.J was clutch in the big moments as well.  I'm going D.J.  Bird's passing offsets any Rondo edge in that area.

Ray because the combination of him and Bird as deep shooters that can also hit everything in between would be a deadly threat.  

Bird, no explanation necessary.  Sorry Pierce, sorry Reggie but...

Garnett over Mchale.  Bird and Parish had plenty of post-up ability to make up for Garnett's lack of.  It's the only issue I can think of that McHale had over Garnett.  Everything else goes to Garnett.  Just the thought of the intensity level between him and Bird on the court at the same time...  Other teams would have been very scared.

Parish because of length, rainbow jumper, ability to stand up to the likes of Jabbar and hold his own, never backing down and then getting his on the other end, and so on...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: best 5 celtics as from 1982 :   i think the dilemma of who would be your starting five is what makes this a discussion.  For one season without being able to pick the backups and bench, this is mine.  Chemistry is everything   D.J.   Ray Allen   Bird   Garnett   Parish   At first thought I'm taking an '82 Tiny over D.J. and Rondo.  Bird's ability to grab offensive boards is going to offset Rondo's rebounding edge.  However, D.J.'s defense/size advantage makes it a difficult choice and if Doc's the coach then the edge is going to D.J.  I'm torn on this one because D.J was clutch in the big moments as well.  I'm going D.J.  Bird's passing offsets any Rondo edge in that area. Ray because the combination of him and Bird as deep shooters that can also hit everything in between would be a deadly threat.   Bird, no explanation necessary.  Sorry Pierce, sorry Reggie but... Garnett over Mchale.  Bird and Parish had plenty of post-up ability to make up for Garnett's lack of.  It's the only issue I can think of that McHale had over Garnett.  Everything else goes to Garnett.  Just the thought of the intensity level between him and Bird on the court at the same time...  Other teams would have been very scared. Parish because of length, rainbow jumper, ability to stand up to the likes of Jabbar and hold his own, never backing down and then getting his on the other end, and so on...     
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt go with KG over McHale with that lineup.

Kevin gives us a post that KG cant compare to and a better physical interior as well.   If you're talking KG of 10 years ago...then Id really have to think it over.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Garnett question is hard. He's only played 4 years with Boston. So it's hard to compare what he did to McHale who played his career in Boston. Has any of Garnett's seasons been comparable with McHales best?

In Garnetts favour, IMO he was the reason Boston won a championship in 2008. That's a mighty big plus for him. The 2008 version of Garnett may well be good enough to get on this team.

My picks for what they're worth.

Dennis Johnson
    Paul Pierce
    Larry Bird
    Kevin Garnett
    Kevin McHale

Pierce can play 2 guard. McHale can more than cover the centre position. Parish was a fine player, however I'd rather have McHale over him in the team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......................................

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Woulda  --  Couda  --  Shouda!  I just pick the best of the best.  IMO!

PG  --  DJ

SG  --  Ray Allen

Center  Parish

SF  --  Larry Bird

PF  --  Kevin McHale

Gee  --  Sounds just like the Best Front Court in NBA History!

Sounds like the the Best team in NBA History  "86" Celtics, with the Best "3" Point shooter in History!

Everyone in their natural position.

I would take them to the BANK!   Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Kreklow

Tillis

Michael Smith

Michael Young

Fernsten

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

I'd take Terry Duerod over Wayne Kreklow any day of the week.

But I am glad to see somene mention Eric Fernsten.  After the Celtics failed to defend their title in 1982, Bird said that the team all year was missing something and he thought it was becaue they cut Eric Fernsten.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from salinasfan. Show salinasfan's posts

[QUOTE]Woulda  --  Couda  --  Shouda!  I just pick the best of the best.  IMO! PG  --  DJ SG  --  Ray Allen Center  Parish SF  --  Larry Bird PF  --  Kevin McHale Gee  --  Sounds just like the Best Front Court in NBA History!  Sounds like the the Best team in NBA History  "86" Celtics, with the Best "3" Point shooter in History! Everyone in their natural position. I would take them to the BANK!    
    Posted by CaptChris[/QUOTE]
    PERFECTO if I say so myself...Thee best five to don a celtic jersey after 82

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from salinasfan. Show salinasfan's posts

I totally agree with captchris...this five would beat any five....ANY FIVE in history!DJ could guard anybody...ask magic..Ray-Ray the best of the best three point shooters...(any arguments?)don't think so!The frontcourt?The greatest frontcourt in the history of the NBA,have to thank Golden State...Joe Barry Carroll for Robert Parish and Kevin Mchale...2 hall of famers for JBC...Red definitely robbed the Warriors with their eye's wide open......That would have to be the greatest trade EVER in the history of the NBA...or the greatest STEAL of the NBA!!!And of course the HICK from FRENCH LICK...MR.LARRY BIRD thee greatest shooting,passing small forward in the history of the NBA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to best 5 celtics as from 1982:
    [QUOTE]dennis johnson or rondo ? ray allen bird kg parish
    Posted by caesarthecat[/QUOTE]NO LIST minus pierce and bird can even be taken seriously as starter.. the debate is on the last 3..but rondo, dj, mchale/kg, SCAL, allen are all in the discussion

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticsFanatic. Show CelticsFanatic's posts

Guys.....the best post 1982 Celtics are Bird, Parish, McHale, DJ, and Pierce. As great as KG is (was) he wasn't a Celtic long emough. Same for Walton and Ray. Max is close but no cigar....that was a reference to Red....of course !!

By position they are......Parish - C, McHale - PF, Bird - SF, DJ - PG, Ray - SG

Alltime.....Russell, Bird, McHale, Hondo, Cousy (in a close one over DJ). Its easy to forget that the Cooz was the protypical PG, the first guy who was a magician with the ball and who could pass like only he could. For those of you who think he couldn't play in today's NBA he would be a Steve Nash or John Stockton type, only better !!!  With that said....DJ is the greatest clutch Celtic of all time, other than Larry Legend himself !!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]Guys.....the best post 1982 Celtics are Bird, Parish, McHale, DJ, and Pierce. As great as KG is (was) he wasn't a Celtic long emough. Same for Walton and Ray. Max is close but no cigar....that was a reference to Red....of course !! By position they are......Parish - C, McHale - PF, Bird - SF, DJ - PG, Ray - SG Alltime.....Russell, Bird, McHale, Hondo, Cousy (in a close one over DJ). Its easy to forget that the Cooz was the protypical PG, the first guy who was a magician with the ball and who could pass like only he could. For those of you who think he couldn't play in today's NBA he would be a Steve Nash or John Stockton type, only better !!!  With that said....DJ is the greatest clutch Celtic of all time, other than Larry Legend himself !!!
    Posted by CelticsFanatic[/QUOTE]
    CelticsFanatic

Cousy in the modern era would be one heck of a stretch. A stationary chair would be more successful on defense than Cuz against the speedy guards of the present era. As to offense-- How about this comparison of their comparative shooting skills.
               Below shooting percentages are for 2 point shooting.
     Cousy.-  lifetime FG% = .375  with  him  shooting under .400 % in 12 of his 13 years in the league.
     Nash,-  lifetime FG% = .516 with him shooting under .500 2 times( .495 in 2001- 02 and .476 in 2002-03) in his 14 year career.
    Stockton,-lifetime FG% =.539 and he never shot under .500 in his career.

Note-- Above figures are based on a minimum of 60 games per year and a minimum of 24 minutes per game and have been adjusted to 2 point shooting for both Nash and Stockton.
    Seems