Best Closer In The NBA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyxx. Show tonyxx's posts

Best Closer In The NBA

Lakers down 3 with seconds to go in the game and he drills a 3 ball to tie the game.  Once the game gets into OT he drills a couple more shots to seal the deal.  What do the Celtics have?  Let me guess, a bag of bones!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Re: Best Closer In The NBA

And the 60s in a 9-team league where there was no salary cap, world-wide player base,3pt shot, playoffs that went no more than 3 weeks etc etc etc.

Now, lets get to the real NBA....go Lakers!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Green-Islander. Show Green-Islander's posts

guess they dont have a discussion board on their side of the fence lol.

or maybe their fellow fans doesnt give them any attention hihihi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Guess you missed most of the Lakers games in the past couple weeks where Kobe took just about every shot down the stretch and bricked most of them badly.

I guess if he keeps hogging the ball, taking every shot, every once in a while a couple will go in. Too bad he couldnt do that last season when he gagged in game 7 and Phil screamed at him to STOP SHOOTING

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyxx. Show tonyxx's posts

Karllost, I guess you are not a thinker.  If you were, last night you would've noticed there was something on the line(i.e. first round matchup with NO who have no starting center and the Lakers have 4-0 season series adv).  Shooting is his game and he does a lot of it, but when it comes time to close the door on a team he is the best in the business.  Since Boston fans have pinned Kobe ball hog lets compare him with what is considered the best in the NBA this year, Derrick Rose of the Bulls.  Kobe has a better field goal percentage and has played in all 82 games this year!  One last thought Karllost, Kobe has 5 Championship Rings and does anyone on the Boston Celtics even come close? 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

In Response to Best Closer In The NBA:
    [QUOTE]Lakers down 3 with seconds to go in the game and he drills a 3 ball to tie the game.  Once the game gets into OT he drills a couple more shots to seal the deal.  What do the Celtics have?  Let me guess, a bag of bones!
    Posted by tonyxx[/QUOTE]

I'll take the Big 3 over Kobe any time. As the Celtics have proven time and again, it isn't about one guy. Mamba can pour in 40 but we still win if we do our jobs against the other guys.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

2007 - Lakers in boston,,, celtics fans chanted "MVP" for Kobe Bryant.

Enough said.

Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

It amazes me how ignorant most LA fans can be.

I guess you guys missed the ESPN "closer" rating article earlier this year.

It ranked the best closers in the NBA. The rating was based on players shooting with less than 24 seconds left, when the game was on the line.

The number one rated player in the NBA was Ray Allen making over 60%. Duncan was second, and all of the Celtic's big three had higher rankings than Kobe.

Kobe only shoots about 25% in those circumstances.

Just because he has the clout to alway take the last shot, and insists on taking the last shot, does not mean that he is good at it. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

In Response to Re: Best Closer In The NBA:
    [QUOTE]2007 - Lakers in boston,,, celtics fans chanted "MVP" for Kobe Bryant. Enough said.
    Posted by Tayshawn[/QUOTE]

Well it was true...but that was 5 years ago.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

MinnesotaCelticsFan,  That is some ESPN closer rating article. Tell me the last time ray allen or tim duncan closed a game out that was meaningful?  Heck, jason terry is pretty clutch too, against the timberwolves in december, but I'll take Kobe any day over anyone else come May and June. Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyxx. Show tonyxx's posts

That's right cshashaty, it takes 3 players to be better than Kobe on the court.  PJ has made adjustments by playing Kobe 33 min/gm.  Obviously this model the Lakers have is working, 3 NBA Final appearances in a row.  As you well know that is very hard to accomplish. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Guess you missed most of the Lakers games in the past couple weeks where Kobe took just about every shot down the stretch and bricked most of them badly. I guess if he keeps hogging the ball, taking every shot, every once in a while a couple will go in. Too bad he couldnt do that last season when he gagged in game 7 and Phil screamed at him to STOP SHOOTING
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Yea, Kobes got 5 rings, so does Fisher... but Kobe hasnt been THE MAN for those rings..

and yes, someone on the Celtics comes close... Shaq has 4... 3 of which he won  being DA MAN on the Lakers while Kobe carried his jock around for him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

[QUOTE]That's right cshashaty, it takes 3 players to be better than Kobe on the court.  PJ has made adjustments by playing Kobe 33 min/gm.  Obviously this model the Lakers have is working, 3 NBA Final appearances in a row.  As you well know that is very hard to accomplish. 
    Posted by tonyxx[/QUOTE]

Yes, three appearances in a row is impressive. But Kobe doesn't get the credit for that. Without Pau and Phil, it doesn't happen. Remember that Kobe was there when the Lakers were getting punked year after year when Shaq left. Mamba's only one guy, albeit a very good one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from isACGreen. Show isACGreen's posts

[QUOTE]That's right cshashaty, it takes 3 players to be better than Kobe on the court.  PJ has made adjustments by playing Kobe 33 min/gm.  Obviously this model the Lakers have is working, 3 NBA Final appearances in a row.  As you well know that is very hard to accomplish. 
    Posted by tonyxx[/QUOTE]

What games have you been watching?  I'm VERY concerned about the number of mins PJ is playing the starters.  Joe Smith had to play the other day....Joe Smith!!  He runs his players ragged, and I don't think he cares since this is his last year!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyxx. Show tonyxx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Closer In The NBA : What games have you been watching?  I'm VERY concerned about the number of mins PJ is playing the starters.  Joe Smith had to play the other day....Joe Smith!!  He runs his players ragged, and I don't think he cares since this is his last year!
    Posted by isACGreen[/QUOTE]

First thing I wonder if you are really a Laker fan, but I'll play along.  I watch almost all Laker games fyi.  I'll give you an example.  Lakers playing Thunder on Sunday night tooth and nail the whole way.  Towards the end of 3rd quarter PJ takes out most of his starters including Kobe.  Well, that small lead Lakers had is gone because PJ doesn't put those same guys back in until 5 minutes left in the game!!  By that time the Thunder have a 3 point lead and start to pull away.  Bottom line here is PJ is different from most coaches in the game as he was sending a message like he did several games prior to that one.  He's figuring out rotations and what their limits are before the playoffs start.  He needs info on how long of a leash the second unit can have before he has to replace them.  Meanwhile, PJ keeps his first unit fresh for extended run in the post season and hopefully the Finals.  We all saw how the Celtics ran out of gas in the fourth quarter of Game 7 last year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]MinnesotaCelticsFan,  That is some ESPN closer rating article. Tell me the last time ray allen or tim duncan closed a game out that was meaningful?  Heck, jason terry is pretty clutch too, against the timberwolves in december, but I'll take Kobe any day over anyone else come May and June.
    Posted by Tayshawn[/QUOTE]

You do that. I'll take ray.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]And the 60s in a 9-team league where there was no salary cap, world-wide player base,3pt shot, playoffs that went no more than 3 weeks etc etc etc. Now, lets get to the real NBA....go Lakers!
    Posted by Laker-Nation32[/QUOTE]

You've been strangely absent during the 5 game losing streak. Great job on closing out.... the Kings.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from isACGreen. Show isACGreen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Closer In The NBA : First thing I wonder if you are really a Laker fan, but I'll play along.  I watch almost all Laker games fyi.  I'll give you an example.  Lakers playing Thunder on Sunday night tooth and nail the whole way.  Towards the end of 3rd quarter PJ takes out most of his starters including Kobe.  Well, that small lead Lakers had is gone because PJ doesn't put those same guys back in until 5 minutes left in the game!!  By that time the Thunder have a 3 point lead and start to pull away.  Bottom line here is PJ is different from most coaches in the game as he was sending a message like he did several games prior to that one.  He's figuring out rotations and what their limits are before the playoffs start.  He needs info on how long of a leash the second unit can have before he has to replace them.  Meanwhile, PJ keeps his first unit fresh for extended run in the post season and hopefully the Finals.  We all saw how the Celtics ran out of gas in the fourth quarter of Game 7 last year.
    Posted by tonyxx[/QUOTE]

I don't have to be a PJ apologist to be a Lakers fan.  Kobe doesn't even practice anymore.  To say you are not the least bit concerned is naive at best and stupid at worst.  We have to win at home.  And what is our second unit, anyway?  After 82 games, it seems like LO, Barnes and Brown.  Blake out will hurt us, and I know he has a great history, but I can't see Barnes, Blake and Brown holding a lead.  IMO, it's time for the Brian Shaw era, PJ needs to go, he barley coaches anymore.  Go on the LA Times and see how many people agree wtih me!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbruce9. Show sbruce9's posts

[QUOTE]And the 60s in a 9-team league where there was no salary cap, world-wide player base,3pt shot, playoffs that went no more than 3 weeks etc etc etc. Now, lets get to the real NBA....go Lakers!
    Posted by Laker-Nation32[/QUOTE]

I have a couple of questions for you.  What makes the NBA more "real" now that the 3 point shot is a part of the game.  Did the Lakers have less opportunity to win championships during the period when there was no salary cap? If so, how?  The world-wide player base is a benefit to all teams.  I don't see how a domestic player base benefitted any one team more than another in the 60's.  I understand you enjoy the NBA now because the Lakers have been more successful, but it doesn't correlate too well with the information you cited as proof above.  Too bad, your attempt to downplay the Celtics run of championships was almost believable.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyxx. Show tonyxx's posts

Absolutely I'm concerned with Lakers second unit.  First player I refer to is Brown who makes a lot of mistakes and turnovers.  Improved from last year, but clearly not trustworthy in big games.  Barnes can't stay healthy, but has more potential than the other two you mentioned.  Lakers aren't utilizing their best matchups.  Look at Spurs game and how many times LO could have scored on the low post.  Didn't matter who was guarding him down there he was scoring at will, but did the Lakers keeping going down there?  No, instead taking a bunch of questionable shots.  I wish we had last years second unit, but we don't, so hopefully PJ mix and match second unit players in to smooth out good play.  Forget about Shaw because he is not coaching this year, PJ is.  Right now we need to focusing on current playoff run and how inconsistent the Lakers have been playing.  It's not pretty losing 5 straight to lesser competition going into the post season.  LA Times....LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]The best closer in the NBA closed the case by settling out of court. HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]
    As soon as I saw this thread title I wondered how fast a bottom dweller would make a "rapist" reference.

You did not disappoint, Fiercest34.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

The best closer is the guy who the Celtics play in the first round. Melo. Hopefully it won't be close.

Sections
Shortcuts