Best Point Guards in the NBA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from b12696. Show b12696's posts

Best Point Guards in the NBA

1.Chris Paul
    2.Rajon Rondo
    3.Deron Williams
    4.Derrick Rose
    5.Steve Nash

Honorable Mention: John Wall, but before long he'll replace Nash.

Numbers 3 through 5 sort of go without saying (although you could debate the order).I had a hard time picking between Rondo and Paul, but in the end I gave it to Paul because he is "the guy" on his team and still manages to give out around 8-10 dimes a game. As a pure point guard in terms of being a floor general I give it to Rondo, but Paul is a more complete player. Once Allen, Garnett, and Pierce really start to decline if Rondo can increase his free throws to 70 percent and increase his PPG to 15 I put him at number 1. I still think Rondo is the perfect PG for this team that has all these vets that know how to score, and Rondo really doesn't care how much he scores.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Best Point Guards in the NBA

Didn't Dudder tell you guys that there are 20 pt guards in the game better than Rondo?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i can't imagine it's possible to be in the top 5 pg's in the league @40% FT's and unable to reliably shoot a jumper?!  those are two of a few key functions of point guards. 

to say that your PG need not shoot FT's or jumpers to an adequate skill level in order to be "great" or elite, is akin to making a solemn arguement that you can actually get laid with your clothes on.  :-\

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Best Point Guards in the NBA:
    i can't imagine it's possible to be in the top 5 pg's in the league @40% FT's and unable to reliably shoot a jumper?!  those are two of a few key functions of point guards.  to say that your PG need not shoot FT's or jumpers to an adequate skill level in order to be "great" or elite, is akin to making a solemn arguement that you can actually get laid with your clothes on.  :-\
    Posted by aciemvp

I've done it with my clothes on, acie!

Actually, the naked truth is.... I almost did it!

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The argument on shooting destroys your comments.  Rondo does not have to shoot 70% as a free throw shooter to be among the league's best he already is.  Let your blind eyes see and you will be rewarded with one of the deep truths of life that performing in the the obvious way makes you a better player. It does not. Rondo does the not so obvious things better than all the others.  And yes for the Celtics he is the best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The argument on shooting destroys your comments.  Rondo does not have to shoot 70% as a free throw shooter to be among the league's best he already is.  Let your blind eyes see and you will be rewarded with one of the deep truths of life that performing in the the obvious way makes you a better player. It does not. Rondo does the not so obvious things better than all the others.  And yes for the Celtics he is the best.
    Posted by concord27

Puddin is trash on this forum concord, don't bother sifting through it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Posted by concord27

Concord: Would you enlighten the forum as to what these NSO things are.... or would that make them too obvious?

Are they sufficiently NSO that even you don't know what they are?

Does God know?

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Rose has improved his game this year.. seems stronger with more lift and body control but thats for his offensive moves.. When we talk about PG, I think of a facilitator, a guy running the offense .. getting his teamamtes involved,  running plays and delivering passes in the right spot.

Complimenting that skillset are the offensive & defensive skills.

With that in mind I still cant place Rondo above either DW or CP and struggle putting him above Nash. Yea Nash is older so people start losing some respect for him   but hes still one of the top PGs in the NBA.  The talk about John Wall cracks me up. Wall has skills, not doubt but hes not what Id consider a top PG.. at least not yet. Makes lots of mistakes and too much 1on1.. thats not a PG.

so for me, its like this:

1. D Williams
    2. C Paul
    3. S Nash
    4. Rondo
    5. Rose

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

Right now: Williams Paul Rose Rondo
    Posted by rameakap

Rose's decision making is attrocious.  At PG, he is probably the most capable scorer (him and Russell Westbrook).  But he is miles behind the elite PGs in distribution.  And correct me if I am wrong, that is the primary responsibility of a PG.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

1. Deron Williams 2. Chris Paul 3. Rajon Rondo 4. Derrick Rose 5. Steve Nash Honorable mentions: Russell Westbrook, John Wall, and Monta Ellis(Combo guard, but still a damn good guard)
    Posted by Waynestarr

Wow.. you give Rondo the number 3 spot.  I remember last year you didn't even want to consider him in the top 5.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

In Response to Re: Best Point Guards in the NBA : I forgot about Raymond Felton. He's ballin' outta control since he left Charlotte and joined Stoudemire in New York. Does he ever miss?? He could've closed his eyes and STILL sink those treys like he did against the Bulls yesterday.
    Posted by Waynestarr

Yes he is a good scorer, but remind me is that the PGs primary responsibility?

He is out-of-control when he penetrates to the basket, and his decision-making is questionable.

When a PGs decision-making is questionable (like it is with Rose and Felton) I don't think anyone should consider them in the top 5 or 10 of their position. 

A PGs role is to get all the scorers on the team in sync and in rhythm.  The people who do it really well in the NBA are:

Deron Williams
    Rajon Rondo
    Chris Paul
    Steve Nash
    Jason Kidd
    (in no particular order)

I have not seen any other PG do this better than these 5.

The other PGs are simply their because they are gifted scorers, or their teams cannot attract a better PG.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

i can't imagine it's possible to be in the top 5 pg's in the league @40% FT's and unable to reliably shoot a jumper?!  those are two of a few key functions of point guards.  to say that your PG need not shoot FT's or jumpers to an adequate skill level in order to be "great" or elite, is akin to making a solemn arguement that you can actually get laid with your clothes on.  :-\
    Posted by aciemvp

Decision-making is the MOST KEY function of a PG.  Rondo excels at that.  Many PGs most put in their top 5 or 10, are horrible at it.

Making FTs or having a high shooting % is not even close to being top 5 in PG key responsibilities.  Its a bonus if your PG excels at it (like Steve Nash).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

How about Avery Bradley? I mean how many PGs in the NBA are shooting 26.7% from the field and 33% from the FT line?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

In Response to Re: Best Point Guards in the NBA : Wow.. you give Rondo the number 3 spot.  I remember last year you didn't even want to consider him in the top 5.
    Posted by bilalkazmi

I gave him the number 3 spot because he fits well into the Celtics system.

If he played for someone else, his weaknesses would be glaring, so he would fall past the 5th spot imo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Rondo and Rose are different types of players and good arguments can be made for each being in the 3rd spot. Williams gets my nod for the best pg.
    Posted by mem17

After watching Rose on Christmas day there is no doubt I would rather have Rondo. Rose shot 12 or 13 times in the first quarter alone hitting either 2 or 3 shots. He wasn't looking to pass unless the defense gave him no other options.  Would the Celtics like him playing at pt guard doing that?  I doubt it very seriously and I don't think we would be near as good a team with Rose running the team. Rose is obviously a better offensive player (shooting), but it ends there.  Rondo is twice as good in getting people involved.   You wouldn't hear about unselfish play on the C's if Rose was running it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

How about Avery Bradley? I mean how many PGs in the NBA are shooting 26.7% from the field and 33% from the FT line?
    Posted by P34

Don't forget the whopping 4 assists he has.  Still want to give this guy more time and let him run the offense?   LMAO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Best Point Guards in the NBA : Don't forget the whopping 4 assists he has.  Still want to give this guy more time and let him run the offense?   LMAO
    Posted by OneOnOne

HAHAHA!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

In Response to Re: Best Point Guards in the NBA : After watching Rose on Christmas day there is no doubt I would rather have Rondo. Rose shot 12 or 13 times in the first quarter alone hitting either 2 or 3 shots. He wasn't looking to pass unless the defense gave him no other options.  Would the Celtics like him playing at pt guard doing that?  I doubt it very seriously and I don't think we would be near as good a team with Rose running the team. Rose is obviously a better offensive player (shooting), but it ends there.  Rondo is twice as good in getting people involved.   You wouldn't hear about unselfish play on the C's if Rose was running it.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Yes, I was very disappointed at Rose on Christmas day.  The only time he passed is if the defense did not give him a look at the basket.  30% of the time he still went in for an impossible basket.  And the rest, he tried to pass the ball to someone.

The model Rose follows works only because he takes opposing defenses to the limit and at the last minute when the defense has worked hard to deny Rose he will then look for an open guy and sometimes he finds one.

But to me, that is the wrong way to play PG.  A PG should always try and develop the best option as soon as the possession start.  The decision needs to be made in some detail at the very beginning.  The great PGs think up a few plays and try and develop them.  With each play, they know who they will try and pass, how the play will develop, and who will ultimately score the basket.

The decision Rose makes every time is:  how will I weave my way to the basket for a 2, or get an open look for a 3, and if I am not able to get this look then I will make another decision to make a play for someone else.  Often times, it is too late to be making this decision.  The result, an offense that is not in rhythm.

Rose plays like this almost all of the time.  He is a great scorer, but a poor PG.  I believe he is smart enough to make the right decisions.  But he always waits till the last minute to make this decision. 

If Rondo played like Rose, PP and KG would be yelling at him in the middle of every game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Rajon RONDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO '

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Rondo outplays all of these guys in the playoffs and holds them below their season averages... who is the best again?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

In Response to Re: Best Point Guards in the NBA : I gave him the number 3 spot because he fits well into the Celtics system. If he played for someone else, his weaknesses would be glaring, so he would fall past the 5th spot imo.
    Posted by Waynestarr

you've also previously stated that in all honesty you prefer westbrook to rondo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

In Response to Re: Best Point Guards in the NBA : you've also previously stated that in all honesty you prefer westbrook to rondo.
    Posted by BaileyPowe

If I did, that was then, this is now. Westbrook is not quite elite just yet, but he's up and coming and exciting to watch.

Sections
Shortcuts