Bet on Smart being a Smelt in 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Bet on Smart being a Smelt in 2014

Yeah I just finished ranting about how the C's were way too good to get enough ping pong balls for Marcus Smart.  However, word on the street is DA is obsessed with him.  And some early speculation suggests, that the teams who are projected to have enough balls for him are going to look to trade their pick.

Yes, lots of teams are going to tank, but not all of them will win top 5 draft picks.  Expect some of these teams to have no need for a rookie combo guard.  And this is where DA comes calling with offers of TWO lower 1st-round picks in 2014 or a 1st-round pick in 2014 PLUS a 1st-round pick in 2015.  These poor teams are going to be totally deflated after losing the Wiggins/Randle/Jabari sweepstakes.  Rather than walk away with a Chauncy Billups (you recall that feeling?), they'll find a different way to comfort their fans. 

It's gonna happen.  Trust Mitch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Re: Bet on Smart being a Smelt in 2014

I was excited about getting chauncy at the time.

I was pretty disappointed with jeff green at that time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was excited about getting chauncy at the time.

I was pretty disappointed with jeff green at that time.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, then using Green as an example, you get the idea.  All season long you posted replies about Greg Oden and Kevin Durant.  With the worst record in the league, you knew everything would be fine next season after drafting Oden/Durant.  You never expected to fall all the way down to the 5th spot. There was no way the lottery gods would be that cruel to us..again.  Heartbreaking.

My point is: For these tank-happy teams, to draft a Marcus Smart would be a huge disappointment.  Especially when you already have a Kyrie Irving or even a Kemba Walker.  DA will most likely swoop down and propose a deal almost like he's offering to do these teams a favor.

No need to watch the Kansas vs Duke game tonight.  Watch The Goldbergs or something.  Then plan on watching MSU vs Kentucky as visions of trading Rondo dance through your head.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

mmmmkay.  "the word on the street" (source) doesn't instill credibility...  

There are as many as 10 potential top 5 picks.

Guards - Smart, Exum and Harrison.  Smart is most NBA ready. Exum has more potential. 

Forwards - Randle, Wiggins, Parker, Gordon.  Randle is more NBA ready. Wiggins most upside potential.  Lots of high quality SF in the draft.

Centers - Embiid, Cauley-Stein, McGary.  Centers are always covetted in the draft.  Embiid least NBA ready but huge potential, DraftExpress has him going #3!     

But I would agree that Smart would be a great choice for the Celtics.  He is the most NBA ready of any of the top 10 players. We desparately need a guard.  Smart can play both the point and the 2, he has a solid all-around game a a lock to be our franchise player.  In order of priority, I pick Smart, then Randle, (even though we are OK at PF), then Wiggins, then Exum, then Jabari Parker, in that order.  Embiid is too much of a long-term project. The other centers are risky picks we can't afford.  There are lots of high quality SF in the draft, so we can pick one up (like Hood or Saric) with our second first round pick.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I wonder if this time around teams will have learned not to pick high potential Centers high up in the draft.

Hopefully that is wrong. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Look for Danny to package our top pick with a player or two and steal a top vet or two.  IF he can not pull this off he will go the draft route.  We have the supporting cast  already we just need a top 2 or for our guys to develop into what we need.  Bradley had a game or two lately that looked very good.  He just needs to do it on a regular basis, and he is young enough to do it, mabey.  Mabey our closer is Brad Stevens.  There is more than one way to skin a cat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

cole Don't forget, we got Ron Mercer at #6 in that draft.  Or should I say the great Ron Mercer?  No, I guess I should not

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

If I were to guess, this is my draft:

1. Utah = Parker

2. Suns = Wiggins

3. Sacramento = Randle

4. Orlando =Smart

5. Boston = Exum

6. Philly = Harrison

Idk why I just did that, but in doing so realize that we MUST beat Orlando in the draft in order to get Smart. Even this early, I think they take him. I think Utah selects Parker over Wiggins/Randle. I don't see Wiggins getting any lower than 2 unless he gets hurt, so the Suns will likely take him. He actually fits in well with Bledsoe, Dragic, Wiggins, Morris, Len.

Sacramento ... who knows ... but something tells me that they'll be in the top 5 (again) and I think a backcourt of Cousins & Randle is terrifying.

Orlando needs a PG. I think they take Wiggins, Parker, or Randle (then trade Harkless), but their fourth option would definitely be Smart. Imagine a backcourt of Smart & Oladipo... that too is frightening.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to maryngary's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Look for Danny to package our top pick with a player or two and steal a top vet or two.  IF he can not pull this off he will go the draft route.  We have the supporting cast  already we just need a top 2 or for our guys to develop into what we need.  Bradley had a game or two lately that looked very good.  He just needs to do it on a regular basis, and he is young enough to do it, mabey.  Mabey our closer is Brad Stevens.  There is more than one way to skin a cat.

[/QUOTE]

One scenerio that I could ABSOLUTELY play out is this:

• Boston gets #1 or #2 pick and Wiggins in available. Toronto has a pick in the 5-7 range. Danny selects Wiggins and trades him to Toronto for their pick and Valancunas. Not sure what else Danny includes, perhaps Sully, Fav or Oly. I wish Toronto had better assets for a trade like this, but they dont. I just see that franchise doing whatever it takes to get the Canadian superstar Wiggins. I think it'd be worth it to give up Wiggins for Valancunas & a chance at Marcus Smart

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Dunker:  how do we DESPERATELY need a guard?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to shines01's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because Bradley can't play point and he is too small to play SG, and he and Rondo can't play together because neither one of them can shoot from the outside, and Rondo can fetch us a much needed Center while dumping Wallace's contract, and Crawford is a good bench player but not stable enough to be a starter and Lee, Brooks and Pressey are detritus - hence, we desparately need a PG and a SG.  Smart and Exum can play both positions and ultimately both will be better all around players than Rondo in 2-3 years, at much less cost, when we are competing in the playoffs.  Trading Rondo is necessary for a more balance team and the rebuilding plan IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2 words best describe Eldunko - RONDO HATER!

[/QUOTE]

Ainge isn't listening.  Ainge is committed to Rondo.  Unless something ridiculous comes along, Rondo isn't going anywhere.  So with Rondo in the equation our NEED is a power forward.  I thought the worst thing to do is to draft for need though.  NBA GMs draft best available, unless they are still dealing.  I like Randle and Wiggins and Parker.  Thank god for this draft; Danny set us up nicely.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ainge isn't listening.  Ainge is committed to Rondo.  Unless something ridiculous comes along, Rondo isn't going anywhere.  So with Rondo in the equation our NEED is a power forward.  I thought the worst thing to do is to draft for need though.  NBA GMs draft best available, unless they are still dealing.  I like Randle and Wiggins and Parker.  Thank god for this draft; Danny set us up nicely.

[/QUOTE]

Im in for Randle!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is that why Danny has tried to trade Rondo every year for the last 3 years?

And if there is ONE position that we are OK, it PF!!!!   We need a Center, a SG, a SF and with Rondo traded a PG.  We have Sully and Oly (once we acquire a Center) at PF, so don't need a PF.  BTW. Wiggins and Parker are SFs...   

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to TheBigTicket05's comment:

[QUOTE]

Im in for Randle!

We already have Sully and KO.

Parker or Wiggins would be the best option.

Play Jeff Green at SG then have Parker at the SF spot and it would be like Miami's Wade and Lebron setup.

[/QUOTE]

i think it will make uncomfortable position for green all season long,

randle can play sf/pf position.

it would be nice to draft wiggins and have him at SG spot.

im not ruling out parker though 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Im in for Randle!

[/QUOTE]

We already have Sully and KO.

Parker or Wiggins would be the best option.

Play Jeff Green at SG then have Parker at the SF spot and it would be like Miami's Wade and Lebron setup.

[/QUOTE]

i think it will make uncomfortable for green,

randle can play sf/pf position.

it would be nice to draft wiggins and have him at SG spot.

[/QUOTE]

Randle looks too slow and isn't handling the ball well enough to play SF in the NBA.  He's a big boy.  His natural position looks like PF.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

[QUOTE]

Randle is a beast.

He's going to succeed in the NBA.

But he's no Roy Hibbert on defense.

If Randle were 2 inches taller, no doubt he'll be the unanimous #1 pick.

[/QUOTE]

+ 1