Beware Rondo Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Beware Rondo Thread

We all knew it was coming.  After viewing Rondo in yesterday's game I saw his unique ability to be disruptive and make passes.  Of course his shooting and free shooting looked the same 2 for 9 from the field and 1 for 2 on free throws.

Mechanics are hard to change and his seem the same, no surprise.  This is not going to bode well for the wide open shots he gets in crunch time.  His shooting is so glaringly bad is it possible Rondo is not working on this part of his game. If he cannot knock perimeter shots that are wide open we will not win. The offensive load cannot continue to be placed on the big three who will find creating their own shots harder and harder this year.  Rondo needs to score.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Re: Beware Rondo Thread

In Response to Re: Beware Rondo Thread:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beware Rondo Thread : I wish someone would tell Doc Rivers this. Then maybe he would stop "going small."
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

I think Doc is trying these small guys to see who Allen's backup is. This for nothing because we all know he wont play the rookie(s)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beware Rondo Thread : I wish someone would tell Doc Rivers this. Then maybe he would stop "going small."
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

So you think Doc rivers can "go big"?  with whom?  Give me the "big" lineup you'd like him to play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Last year, we had Shaq, JON, Semih, Perk, and Krstic at points.  

- Shaq - out most of the year
     - JON - out most of the year
     - Perk - came back from injury and immediately traded
     - Semih - traded at all star break
     - Krstic...started well and then went down hill

So, after that, our starters log lots of minutes and our team is smaller.  Leads to them being worn out by season's end.  

Play the rookies, Doc!  What rookie big men didn't he play?  for that matter, what big men at all didn't he play in the second half since we had NONE!

Someone tell Danny that its tough winning without a center who can rebound, block shots, and set picks.  Someone.....anyone, please get a center, Danny!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

[QUOTE] No rebounds, no rings.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Pat Riely - is that you?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beware Rondo Thread : It's not a question of going big. It's a question of going too small in the fourth quarter. No rebounds, no rings.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

I hear you.....and I'm not saying this to offend you.....but I would really like to know what you would do rather than just what we "shouldn't do".  Take the roster and tell me who you would take out in the 4th quarter last year and who you would put in the game instead to make us "not too small".   I just don't know who we would put in given we had no big men and the few we had were not playing well.   Would you take out KG or PP or Ray or West or who....to make us bigger?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

i wouldn't look into the statistics too much for this pre-season or the first 2 weeks of games. their training camp was short and it seems a rush to start. its going to be bad for a bit with some things.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Doc favours a small line-up.  Remember Posey playing the 4 late in games in 08

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beware Rondo Thread : Doc said he spent all summer working on schemes to play Jeff Green at the 4. That's going too small.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

OK, so I guess the answer is that you can't answer my question (the one about what you WOULD do instead of just saying what Doc SHOULD'T do).

We have JON as the only big man.  Wilcox, KG, Bass, Green and this new DLeague guy are the other big guys and other than the D-Leaguer, we don't have any height.  I keep asking this question for 2 reasons:

1. JON is not going to give us a full game at center.  None of us want KG run into the ground playing too many minutes.  So, what's a coach left to do when you have no real height/bulk.  We'll play Wilcox and Bass but Bass is no bigger than Jeff and Wilcox can't shoot so when KG and JON are out - playing Green at the 4 is really something you HAVE to do (if he was here).

2. My real point is that Danny is screwing up.  He's leaving the team with no height/bulk again this year.  So, when people say "Doc shouldn't go small", they (you being only one of them) have no answer on what we can do as an alternative.   Last year, we all thought we had this as our center lineup: Shaq, Perk, JON, Semih.  We ended up with no Shaq, No JON (or a shell of a player), Semih traded, Perk traded, and Krstic as the only big man - soft as he was.  Then, why say "Doc shouldn't go small"?  What else was he to do?  Doc shouldn't play KG so many minutes.  Was he to play Murphy who gave us nothing?   

The culprit here is Danny Ainge.  I love Danny's attempts but I don't love his results.  Don't pay for intentions.  For results, he's striking out.  Since the trade for Ray and KG, Danny has made bonehead moves.  His draft choices (like passing up Jordan who went to the Clippers), his trades (giving up Perk and Semih to rely on Shaq and JON), and his FA signings have NOT giving us any size.

That's why I keep asking - what do you expect the coach to do about the fact his GM isn't giving him any real size?  He has no choice but to do what Miami and San Antonio have done - play one big guy in KG and then hope your forwards all step up and play bigger than they are.

PS.  I'm not saying I don't understand the BUSINESS decision to trade Perk.  I think it was a good trade.  But, the result was to leave the team counting on old and oft injured players and that ain't the coaches fault.  That was Danny taking a calculated risk that just didn't work out.  We gotta live with that but we can't blame the coach for what he had to do - play small!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Well, we agree on that partially.  I just think its Danny and not Doc.  Doc was clearly not happy with Danny for taking away Perk.   So, its clear Doc has input, but Danny goes his own way.   To give Danny credit, Danny did try to have JON, Shaq, and Semih in his camp so I think he "values" the big man.  I just think he made bad calculated gambles around who's valuable and who's not.

I think Danny is a gambler and took chances on big guards and small forwards instead of taking chances on more centers and power forwards.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I was hoping I would be reading this preseason that Rondo had spent the offseason and extended layoff working on tearing down his mechanics and rebuilding them to a suitable NBA jumper, or that he had just taken 5000 jumpers a day in some remote gym somwhere so that his weird shot was at least a bit more fluid and reliable.  I guess that was too much to ask.  Maybe it happened and isn't being reported because his jumper is just totally hopeless.  I saw some film clips of him in the gym last week...the ones where he was doing shot drills with no shirt on...and I couldn't help but think he wasn't concentrating and following through.  I dunno, I am of the opinion that anyone should be able to learn how to take a jump shot and anyone should be able to learn how to make a free throw...especially NBA atheletes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]I was hoping I would be reading this preseason that Rondo had spent the offseason and extended layoff working on tearing down his mechanics and rebuilding them to a suitable NBA jumper, or that he had just taken 5000 jumpers a day in some remote gym somwhere so that his weird shot was at least a bit more fluid and reliable.  I guess that was too much to ask.  Maybe it happened and isn't being reported because his jumper is just totally hopeless.  I saw some film clips of him in the gym last week...the ones where he was doing shot drills with no shirt on...and I couldn't help but think he wasn't concentrating and following through.  I dunno, I am of the opinion that anyone should be able to learn how to take a jump shot and anyone should be able to learn how to make a free throw...especially NBA atheletes.
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]
    You and me both.  As stellar as Rondo's passing game is, he enables the opposition to play 5 on 4 much of the time.  Furthermore, because he freethrow shooting is also in the toilet, he doesn't drive as much as he should.
    We'll see how this year goes, but we're in bad shape if the maligned aspects of his game are no better this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Breaktime and Shine,
    Your thought mirror my thoughts on Rondo.  I would have thought this guy would have practiced shooting every spare minute since June. Sadly after watching him last night and in the clip you mention he looks exactly the same.

This is going to prevent him from any real chance he has in proving every one wrong.  Last year before he quit on the team I felt his game was so unique that his shooting would improve slightly every year. It does not appear that way and beyond that his inability to take open shots kills this team and will really hurt even more this year. The Big Three are going to struggle if they can't get real help.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

i still want to believe that rondo is a special talent whose best play is forthcoming. but last year was disappointing. kg was saying that rondo is possibly the smartest player in the league, and likely the most hated. that's a heck of a statement. if he is that smart, then he knows he's got some improving to do. i'm glad he's gonna get the opportunity to prove his detractors wrong, because that's what it's going to take for him to stay in boston. meanwhile, sorry he didn't shoot better yesterday, but don't tell me that left handed, behind the back bounce pass to bass wasn't sick.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to "Re: Beware Rondo Thread": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beware Rondo Thread : We could have drafted DeAndre Jordan, Brandon Bass, David Lee, etc... How good would our team be now, if we had done that instead of wasting our picks? Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE] Exactly!

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

We will just haft to play with Rondo nobody wants to trade us a good player for him. He is a near allstar and if he does not get confidence from somewhere will always be  laking in the shooting department.