Big Al or Josh Smith?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Re: Big Al or Josh Smith?

Maybe but are you really going to send PP to Utah?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias's comment:

Maybe but are you really going to send PP to Utah?

Ugh, please FOCUS... the trade exception we get from trading Pierce to a team with cap space is what we'd send to Utah for Big Al... again this has been brought up over and over... just like who can and can't be amnesty'd

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Get the trade exception first. THe only thing we think we know is that the Celtics have an S&T offer for Josh Smith. You're assuming it's coming from a trade exception with the Cavs when it could be PP going to Atlanta

I'm glad you have all the answers...clown!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

I'd rather go for Big Al who can play PF or C.

Josh Smith is nice to have if we didn't have Jeff Green and Sully.

Big Al is also the better shooter from the perimeter.

Big Al.  Great scorer, rebounder, good guy, weak defensively.  Josh Smith.  Good defender, rebounder, weak offensively, and a petulant jerk.  I'll go with Big Al.  i'd like to see offense for a change.  The Celtics haven't been a good offensive team since.....I don't know when....the 80's maybe?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

BLB, if you'd been reading up on this situation and those of the Hawks, Cavs and other teams (intead of wondering which impossible player to amnesty or how to turn KG, Pierce and draft picks in the teens into Pekovic and Love) then maybe you would know this 99.99% is NOT going to be a sign and trade with Pierce to Utah or Atlanta.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

BLB, if you'd been reading up on this situation and those of the Hawks, Cavs and other teams (intead of wondering which impossible player to amnesty or how to turn KG, Pierce and draft picks in the teens into Pekovic and Love) then maybe you would know this 99.99% is NOT going to be a sign and trade with Pierce to Utah or Atlanta.

So what..you knew of a rule that I didn't know about it. You want a prize.

Where did ANYONE report that the Cavs would give up the trade exception for PP? Where? Oh on this board. I haven't seen it. I've seen 2 #2s.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

IF the cavs have offered us 2 2d rounders for PP, and IF we'd get a trade exception from such a deal that would allow us to sign jefferson or smith (or someone else), then what are we waiting for?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE.....give me Big Al over J Smith....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

IF the cavs have offered us 2 2d rounders for PP, and IF we'd get a trade exception from such a deal that would allow us to sign jefferson or smith (or someone else), than what are we waiting for?

Don't pay attention to those talking about a trade exception...that's them making up stuff. The Cavs have offered 2 #2s...that's it.

If they did offer what you wrote Ainge would've already done it. YOu can't listen to some clowns on this board.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

IF the cavs have offered us 2 2d rounders for PP, and IF we'd get a trade exception from such a deal that would allow us to sign jefferson or smith (or someone else), than what are we waiting for?

Don't pay attention to those talking about a trade exception...that's them making up stuff. The Cavs have offered 2 #2s...that's it.

If they did offer what you wrote Ainge would've already done it. YOu can't listen to some clowns on this board.

So a move that financially has to wait until July 1st should 'already have been done' hahaha

BLB, do you know the date that free agency starts? That the Cavs get cap space? That smith can legally be signed and traded.

If Pierce were traded to the Cavs for two 2nd rd picks, the Cavs would pick players for us at those spots, and then the C's would have to wait until July to have the trade for the exception go through 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Hey, i like your fight back style. You know as much or more of whats going on as anyone on this board.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

[QUOTE]

So a move that financially has to wait until July 1st should 'already have been done' hahaha

BLB, do you know the date that free agency starts? That the Cavs get cap space? That smith can legally be signed and traded.

If Pierce were traded to the Cavs for two 2nd rd picks, the Cavs would pick players for us at those spots, and then the C's would have to wait until July to have the trade for the exception go through 

[/QUOTE]

You sure have figured out everything the Cavs want to do. It doesn't have to be the Cavs, it just has to be a team that has the cap room.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Where did ANYONE report that the Cavs would give up the trade exception for PP? Where? Oh on this board. I haven't seen it. I've seen 2 #2s.

Jeez dude, just quit already.

If the Celtics trade Pierce simply for draft picks, two 2nd rounders or future picks, WHATEVER... and he is sent for just those picks to a team with the cap space to absorb his 15.3m salary (like the Cavs can) then THE RULES OF THE GAME state that the Celtics AUTOMATICALLY receive a trade exception for the amount of their traded players salary (in this case 15.3 million).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yup, any team with cap space can take PP for a pick and we'd get the trade exception, the only rumored teams with space interested in Paul are the Bucks and Cavs.

Of those two teams PP MIGHT want to play on an exciting young Cavs team that could be first round playoff fodder for the Heat/Pacer/Bulls... but probably not... He almost certainly doesn't want to play for the Bucks.

Danny owes it to him to try his best to send him somewhere he wants to go

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

[QUOTE]

If the Celtics trade Pierce simply for draft picks, two 2nd rounders or future picks, WHATEVER... and he is sent for just those picks to a team with the cap space to absorb his 15.3m salary (like the Cavs can) then THE RULES OF THE GAME state that the Celtics AUTOMATICALLY receive a trade exception for the amount of their traded players salary (in this case 15.3 million).

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I understand but it doesn't have to be the CAVS!! Don't you think Ainge would've jumped on this already?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

Hey, i like your fight back style. You know as much or more of whats going on as anyone on this board.

Sorry KY, but as of this week that is not true.

Always liked BirdLewisBias, but just this week he's shown an inability to grasp when teams can make moves financially (before/after July 1st), offered up a Pierce and 2 draft picks in the teens (or worse) for KEVIN LOVE and not known what players we can amnesty or not and how/when trade exceptions are given and how they work.

I like the guy, but it isn't like he's asking these things as questions in other peoples threads... he is stating them as facts in his own threads on who we should amnesty and what trades we should make with the T'Wolves (ideas that are either impossible or utter jokes) and then he becomes confrontational and calls people names like 'idiot' and 'clown' when called on his nonsense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah I understand but it doesn't have to be the CAVS!! Don't you think Ainge would've jumped on this already?

Ummmmm

A. Ainge currently wants more than the two 2nd round picks for Pierce

B. Any signing of Smith or trade of PP for a trade exception has to wait until AFTER July 1st, so any mention of Smith's name by Ainge before free agency starts is considered TAMPERING

C. Even if the Cavs upped there offer to pick 19 (which we should jump on) any trade for 2013 picks would be 'rumored' that the Cavs would be picking them for Boston, but couldn't be fact until after the draft picks and Pierce can actually legally be traded for each other in July

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

i'd rather keep PP for his final season than sign either Big Al or Smith. C's need to ensure they are a lottery team and gamble on a good draft class in 2014.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Ummmmm

A. Ainge currently wants more than the two 2nd round picks for Pierce

B. Any signing of Smith or trade of PP for a trade exception has to wait until AFTER July 1st, so any mention of Smith's name by Ainge before free agency starts is considered TAMPERING

C. Even if the Cavs upped there offer to pick 19 (which we should jump on) any trade for 2013 picks would be 'rumored' that the Cavs would be picking them for Boston, but couldn't be fact until after the draft picks and Pierce can actually legally be traded for each other in July

IMO:

I only want the Celtics to deal PP if they are blowing up the team.  PP for the 1st rounder, trade exception/expiring contract, KG for picks, trade exception/expiring contract and then go DRose-style and keep Rondo out most of 2013-2014.  That team would be REALLY bad and likely only win 15-25 games and then will have a shot at a top pick in a (likely) loaded draft.

I would NOT want the Celtics to blow their cap space on a max contract for Josh Smith.  I would much rather that they keep PP and KG for one more year and see who is available in the summer of 2014 with a boatload of cap space (or a year of rebuilding).

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregCelts. Show GregCelts's posts

The Celtics, Minesota, and now Utah have passed on Big Al.  Someone is going to overpay him once D Howard and Pekovic get signed. 

I like Big Al and Josh Smith, but not for a max contract.  If the money is fair.  Fine.  I'd rather wait 1 or 2 more seasons to give a max contract to the right franchise player. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

I prefer Josh Smith. He is a superior athlete which is essential in today's NBA. The days of plodding back to the basket centers is over. Garnett who is a classic 4 is now a 5. Smith is a modern day power forward that can defend the 3 or 4. Smith averages 18PPG, 8.5RPG along with 2SPG and almost 2BPG. He contributes in every category and its not like hes hurting for offensive production.

Thats not even mentioning the fact that he wants to be here!

I know Al has ties because he was drafted here, but Smith would be the first big free agent in a long time (or ever) who willingly chose to come to Boston.

1) Rondo/Bradley/Green/Smith/Garnett is an elite defensive team and extremely athletic.

2) Rondo/Bradley/Green/Garnett/Jefferson is not as good defensively and not as athletic.

The fast break points from option 1s aggressive defense and fast breaking will make up for Jefferson's ability to score in the half court set - I promise you that!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

That being said...I'm not sure if I prefer this option to the tanking option. Potentially tanking (I don't know if we would be bad enough/lucky enough) could net us a stud young player (Parker, Wiggins, Smart etc) or we might end up with the backend of the lottery pick and be relegated to obscurity for the next 5-10 years.

Signing Smith keeps the Celtics relevant and competitive (which I'm sure Wyc prefers), but ties up money in a team who might max out at a 3-5 seed for the prime years of Rondo and Smith.

The other downside is that investing in Smith effectively removes us from the bidding on upcoming players in free agency like Kevin Love, Greg Monroe, Demarcus Cousins etc. But do we have a chance at landing them in FA anyways? Smith WANTS to be here.

All in all - I think signing Smith is the way to go if Garnett agrees to stay and play out his contract (assuming Pierce is gone to make way for Smith). I'd have to imagine Garnett isn't crazy about playing without Doc and Pierce, but if he will stay and lead the team - I'd commit to Smith.

Sections
Shortcuts