Big Baby sign and trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Big Baby sign and trade

Anyone know if there is a limit to the amount we can sign him for with the Bird rights?

I know the CBA has maxed out deals at 5 years for your own players and 4 years for other teams players.

I know that it is now 150% of contracts have to match-up not 125%.

But Baby made 3.3 million last year. Is it still only a 15-20% raise on that with subsequent 15-20% raises over the 5 years we can give him?

Something like 3.75-4.5-5.25-6.25-7.5 over his max contract from us... or 5 years 26-28 million?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Big Baby sign and trade

I am wondering b/c Avery makes 1.525 million.

If the most Baby can get from us is 3.775 million...

that is 5.3 million. So they can only be traded for a player making about 8 million.

They guys I would want all make well over that. Kaman, Okafor, etc.

Maybe trade those 2 guys for Anderson Varejao? Amnesty him after the season if we have a shot at Howard or another big name FA.

Then we can keep Green... and have the 3 million mini MLE to use

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Big Baby sign and trade:
    [QUOTE]I am wondering b/c Avery makes 1.525 million. If the most Baby can get from us is 3.775 million... that is 5.3 million. So they can only be traded for a player making about 8 million. They guys I would want all make well over that. Kaman, Okafor, etc. Maybe trade those 2 guys for Anderson Varejao? Amnesty him after the season if we have a shot at Howard or another big name FA. Then we can keep Green... and have the 3 million mini MLE to use
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]
    Like it, but I don't think CLE would do it - he is their energy guy, and people pay to see him......since James left town!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Haha, I guess people pay to see him.

The smart Cavs fan would be happy that the teams saved nearly 20 million, got a little worse to better guarantee a top draft pick and acquired both an extra draft pick and young guard of similar age to Irving.

They are rebuilding and need picks, youth, and financial flexibility.

We have one last run in us and need an energy big man

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Baby's new contract only matters to the new that will take him in a sign and trade. My estimate is 6m per. What I want is Big Baby and Jeff Green for Al Jefferson. We need a big man that can score and rebound.  Varejao would've been great for the Celts 2 years ago, when KG was still a great player. Now, the Celts are in desperate need of an inside presence, someone that can score down low and get some offensive rebounds. Andy V is a very good player, he's just not what the Celts are looking for. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong I am all over your Baby/Green for Big Al idea... but why would the Jazz be interested?

Yes Al is owed a lot of money... 14 and 15 million the next 2 years...

But Green will cost 6 million this year and an extension of more than 29 million after and Baby would have to be signed for at least 4 million just to get $ to work.

After an injury in '09 Al has put up roughly these numbers the past 2 seasons:

80 games - 18 points, 9.5 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 50% FG, 72% FT

he turns 27 in January... just 1-2 years older than Baby/Green. He can also play Center alongside Millsap, where Baby is too short to play C. The Jazz have Hayward at SF and Favors can play there as well.

Green is better than Hayward of course and Favors is more of a PF... but that 100% forces Baby to be a backup C if you make the trade.

And are we guaranteed to get Prince or Battier with the 3 million we can offer to replace Green?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Baby sign and trade : Don't get me wrong I am all over your Baby/Green for Big Al idea... but why would the Jazz be interested? Yes Al is owed a lot of money... 14 and 15 million the next 2 years... But Green will cost 6 million this year and an extension of more than 29 million after and Baby would have to be signed for at least 4 million just to get $ to work. After an injury in '09 Al has put up roughly these numbers the past 2 seasons: 80 games - 18 points, 9.5 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 50% FG, 72% FT he turns 27 in January... just 1-2 years older than Baby/Green. He can also play Center alongside Millsap, where Baby is too short to play C. The Jazz have Hayward at SF and Favors can play there as well. Green is better than Hayward of course and Favors is more of a PF... but that 100% forces Baby to be a backup C if you make the trade. And are we guaranteed to get Prince or Battier with the 3 million we can offer to replace Green?
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Hate to even write this -
    KG for Big Al and Millsap - Utah has already said they are shopping both.  Use amnesty on KG!!
    I don't know anymore- the whole thing stinks!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If we can sign Baby to a 1 year deal at 6-8 million... and I am not sure we can offer him that much cash... then pair him with Avery and a draft pick and trad ehim for a big man WITHOUT having to dump Green.

Kaman or Okafor

to a lesser extent Biedrins or Scola maybe

Unless you have Prince or Battier locked up for 1 year 3 million (not likely) it would be very hard to trade Green and have a shot at stopping LeBron, Melo and Deng in the playoffs. We'd end up with Posey, Nocioni or Josh Howard. Not all that exciting SF options.

We'd need KG to be the best he has been in a years, Rondo a triple double and Big Al a 22-11 every night to withstand the dropoff in play from an exhausted Ray/PP.

Bosh and Amare will score as much on Al as he will on them.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Baby sign and trade : Varejao's offense comes from the perimeter, won't help us much in terms of low post scoring.

It all depends on what we can get with that 3 million.

Verajao and Green (to me) are better than Big Al and Nocioni or Posey (both likely amnestly guys)

But if we can still get Prince or Battier.... then trade Green/Baby for Big Al in a second... and that doesn't even address my assumption that the Jazz would not even want to make that trade.

It would make more sense for them to trade us Millsap and Bell for Green and Baby b/c Al can play Center next to Favors/Kanter.... the future of their team who fit best at PF's. Then we'd still be stuck looking for a backup SF.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

C - Big Al (36 mins) Kanter - (12)
    PF - Favors (32 mins) Kanter - (16)

makes more sense than

C - Kanter (36 mins) someone they sign or draft for 12
    PF - Millsap (24 mins) Favors (24 mins)

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Millsap is only a PF

Favors is a PF who can play some SF

Kanter is 19 and European.. you'd think he'd be better off as a backup for 2-3 years and playing down low next to someone who was 6'10" and not 6'8" (Al vs. Millsap) or 280 lbs and not 240 (Al vs. Favors).

Millsap would be the better player for them to move. He and Al are the same age. And I'd trade Green and Baby for him and Bell IF IF IF we had a solid defensive SF locked up w/ our 3 million.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd go after Kaman with Avery and a draft pick instead of Green so thats why it is better than Al... if you can sign Baby for 6-7 million. Still not sure on that.

Okafor would play a solid 28 mins and rest KG and also not require Green to be in the deal.

Corbin played Big Al over 38 minutes in Feb/March compared to 33-34 for Millsap

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Baby sign and trade : Hate to even write this - KG for Big Al and Millsap - Utah has already said they are shopping both.  Use amnesty on KG!! I don't know anymore- the whole thing stinks!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

They are likely shopping both with the idea that they would keep one and give up the one they get the better offer back for.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ryan Gomes is no Battier/Prince... but that deal would make us better for a 2012 run than a lot of others I can think of. Can Gomes play the solid defense on Melo/Deng/LeBron for 20 minutes a night that would allow Pierce to rest for the 4th quarter is the question.

I'd love Big Al... it is not a question of them paying him 29 million to play alongside Kanter tho. Kanter is 19 and will prob be brought along slowly as a backup, maybe even the D-league. Look at guys like Thabeet and then remember the best euro of all-time, Dirk was just a 10ppg awkward kid as a 19 year old rookie.

Al and Millsap both have deals that expire in 2013. After that the 22 year old Favors and 21 year old Kanter will be firmly established as the PF-C of the future. But neither are ready right.

Until then it would seem to make sense to keep Al, who was an 18.6p-9.7r-1.9b guy and can play PF and C over Millsap a 17.3-7.7-0.9 guy who can only play PF. Of course Al makes more so if he also brings in the superior trade package... and then the Jazz end up with as better lotto pick... maybe it is wiser to trade him.

But you'd also think Green and Baby at 25 are so close in age to Al/Millsap that they would want guys who are closer in age to Burks/Favors (20) and Kanter(19)

Avery is one of those guys and our pick or our Clippers pick would be as well....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It would be cool if we could trade KG, Avery and the Clippers pick for Big Al and Radja Bell... with the agreement that KG would be amnestyd right away and sign back with us for the veteran minimum:-)

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Baby sign and trade : That won't work because there's a bidding process on amnesty players, teams with bad records get priority. And the new CBA prohibits an amnesty player to return to his old team after being waived via amnesty clause. Save the amnesty for next season. Who knows, maybe the Celts will be needing it to waive Paul Pierce next year.

The old team would be the Jazz, not the Celtics, b/c we traded him to Utah so he could return here

But I guess someone would bid more than the veteran minimum or the 3 million mini-MLE for KG

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Don't forget - Big Baby was a big fat lazy slob last year.

Who would want him?