Big Win for NBA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Big Win for NBA

In response to aciemvp's comment:

In response to JamezHill's comment:

personally i would have loved to watch dumb male bimbo chris paul get his 87 million dollars of remaining contract dissolved by "boycotting".  he isn't worth that much by a country mile

nobody is worth anything to you.

what the heck does that little princess-like statement mean?  would you like to have chris paul inked for 87 million on your team?  if you have a contract and you don't go to work then the contract is dissolved.  that's simple contract law. 

chris paul inked at 87M at this point in his career with his tendency to get injured reminds of a slightly less horrible contract than baron davis- a real crap shoot.  paul does not have the ruined knee that davis did but seems to find the IR every single year for this or that.  those are bound to start being repetitive injuries to the same body parts coming up real soon and more serious issues, don't cha think?

or are you just stuck in emotional blather mode still yet?

Paul is a great player but I do agree that he is injured often.  When healthy he is the best player on his team and worth what he is being paid.   

• You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to aciemvp's comment:

In response to JamezHill's comment:

personally i would have loved to watch dumb male bimbo chris paul get his 87 million dollars of remaining contract dissolved by "boycotting".  he isn't worth that much by a country mile

nobody is worth anything to you.

what the heck does that little princess-like statement mean?  would you like to have chris paul inked for 87 million on your team?  if you have a contract and you don't go to work then the contract is dissolved.  that's simple contract law. 

chris paul inked at 87M at this point in his career with his tendency to get injured reminds of a slightly less horrible contract than baron davis- a real crap shoot.  paul does not have the ruined knee that davis did but seems to find the IR every single year for this or that.  those are bound to start being repetitive injuries to the same body parts coming up real soon and more serious issues, don't cha think?

or are you just stuck in emotional blather mode still yet?

Paul is a great player but I do agree that he is injured often.  When healthy he is the best player on his team and worth what he is being paid.   

• paul played 62 games last year. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

This a serious dilemma for a Celtic fanatic. I wish no harm on any player and hopefully a year of rest would do both CP and Griff a world of good. The health of those two is worth more than a lottery pick. Let the system work!! Sterling has the right to appeal, Doc can walk, CP, Griff et al can be liturgy limbo resting getting paid while the court sorts it out. As the League turns!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

Not so much for the Celts.

Looks like the Clips 2015 1st round pick will be closer to the 30th pick than the 20th pick.

Fierce: I think this is actually terrific news overall for Celtics fans. My reasoning? If you're like most Celtics fans you consider your only true rival to be the Lakers. Preventing them from tying or surpassing Boston's banner total is paramount. Hopefully that mainly occurs via additional championships for Boston. But I'll take the Lakers losing any day of the week. So, as far as I'm concerned, the emergence of a viable rival in the lucrative and attractive (to NBA stars) Southern California market is an excellent development for Boston. Long story short, if the Clippers can maintain their momentum, the Lakers will have a genuine regional competitor for talent. Now (that the Sterling cloud has been lifted) if you're a hoops star and you want to go to Hollywood, you've got another option.

And that's good for the Celtics, even if there are negative ramifications in the shorter term with respect to one of their picks.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Sterling is not being criminally prosecuted for saying racist things.  His right to free speech is not being violated.  He has the right to say what he said, but the NBA also has the right to elect to disassociate themselves from such owner and partner, their bylaw which are signed by all owners allows such action.  You have the right to free speech but it does not absolve you from consequence of that speech.  Freedom goes both ways for the person that makes the speech and the people who don't like what they hear.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

Sterling is not being criminally prosecuted for saying racist things.  His right to free speech is not being violated.  He has the right to say what he said, but the NBA also has the right to elect to disassociate themselves from such owner and partner, their bylaw which are signed by all owners allows such action.  You have the right to free speech but it does not absolve you from consequence of that speech.  Freedom goes both ways for the person that makes the speech and the people who don't like what they hear.

Then what's "free" about it? It shouldn't be a "legal" issue. It should be a social one. Just like what happened with the Hornets owner that forced him to sell the team to N.O.

• This post has been removed.

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

Then what's "free" about it? It shouldn't be a "legal" issue. It should be a social one. Just like what happened with the Hornets owner that forced him to sell the team to N.O.

You are delusional if you think the free speech protection in the constitution means a complete protection from any and all repercussion from any other parties.  It only protects you from any persecution from the state and the government, even that has its limit.  Start writing email correspondences with shady characters from the middle east and you'll find out quickly what the limits are.  It is a legal issue because Sterling agreed and signed the contract to be a part of the NBA.  If he does not like it, he can always refuse to sign the agreement and there will be nothing that can hold him to higher standard as part of being an NBA owner.

I don't know what is your problem?  This is not a free speech case, it is a legal issue involved business contract and agreement.  Maybe it is fashionable to be a free speech alarmist but having ability to make free speech does not give someone the right to say things that amounts to breaking legal agreement and contract.  Don't sign the contract or you can't have it both ways.

Great, now this is a political issue.  Maybe if you actually really think about it, this is more of an economic issue.  The NBA potentially stands to loose a lot of money through this owner's action if they don't change the course of the franchise.  Let's ignore that and default your instinct to make it a political issue when it is really not.  Maybe our political environment is not contentious enough already?  Why even turns a Celtics thread into a political discussion anyway?  There are so many other proper places to do that.  Uncool!

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You are delusional if you think the free speech protection in the constitution means a complete protection from any and all repercussion from any other parties.  It only protects you from any persecution from the state and the government, even that has its limit.  Start writing email correspondences with shady characters from the middle east and you'll find out quickly what the limits are.  It is a legal issue because Sterling agreed and signed the contract to be a part of the NBA.  If he does not like it, he can always refuse to sign the agreement and there will be nothing that can hold him to higher standard as part of being an NBA owner.

I don't know what is your problem?  This is not a free speech case, it is a legal issue involved business contract and agreement.  Maybe it is fashionable to be a free speech alarmist but having ability to make free speech does not give someone the right to say things that amounts to breaking legal agreement and contract.  Don't sign the contract or you can't have it both ways.

I guess I'm delusional then. scubber, the way I've always read the 1st Amendment is how it's actually written:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances"

Now, in my dictionary, the word "abridging" means: shortened by condensing or rewriting. So I'm reading this as "Congress shall make no law abridging (rewriting) the freedom of speech". Have I been reading this wrong all these years? If I haven't, then all the personal-perspective breakdowns and limitation tags on the freedom of speech don't mean a damn to me. Never has. Even though they maybe/are the law. Or abuse of, I should say. The U.S. Supreme Court struggled to constitute what is free speech. So "they" decided to lay down "examples" (hence, rewriting IMO). And that's what we have to follow.

We all have our own rules/laws that we abide to. We're forced to abide our governmental laws in fear of harsh penalties. That doesn't mean we have to agree with them. I try to go through life treating people with respect and kindness. The same as I hope to be treated. Not to be labeled "delusional" and that I "have a problem" for having/sharing my own views/beliefs. After all, it was unpopular speech/views in Britain that ultimately led to the creation of the U.S.A.

Sorry for the rant. It's easy to get bent out of shape over something that is just wrong in my mind.

I agree with you. If he signed it, he should uphold it. However, I'd really like to see this NBA agreement myself. He didn't hurt the NBA IMO. The gold-digger did by submitting a recorded, private conversation to the media. Who in turn, made it public. She or TMZ should be held accountable, legally.

I'm not trying to convince you that I'm right. I probably am wrong. But if I am, that really sucks. The decline of western civilization. Where did it all begin?

Great, now this is a political issue.  Maybe if you actually really think about it, this is more of an economic issue.  The NBA potentially stands to loose a lot of money through this owner's action if they don't change the course of the franchise.  Let's ignore that and default your instinct to make it a political issue when it is really not.  Maybe our political environment is not contentious enough already?  Why even turns a Celtics thread into a political discussion anyway?  There are so many other proper places to do that.  Uncool!

What can I say.... It's down-time.

You can always go into the "Stuck with Rondo" thread and witness the geriatric version of Romper Room.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to Louisio's comment:

Fierce: I think this is actually terrific news overall for Celtics fans. My reasoning? If you're like most Celtics fans you consider your only true rival to be the Lakers. Preventing them from tying or surpassing Boston's banner total is paramount. Hopefully that mainly occurs via additional championships for Boston. But I'll take the Lakers losing any day of the week. So, as far as I'm concerned, the emergence of a viable rival in the lucrative and attractive (to NBA stars) Southern California market is an excellent development for Boston. Long story short, if the Clippers can maintain their momentum, the Lakers will have a genuine regional competitor for talent. Now (that the Sterling cloud has been lifted) if you're a hoops star and you want to go to Hollywood, you've got another option.

And that's good for the Celtics, even if there are negative ramifications in the shorter term with respect to one of their picks.

The Lakers were doomed the moment Jimmy Buss took over.

As long as Jimmy's calling the shots for the Lakers, don't expect another championship banner for the Lakers.

Think about it, Lakers had months to think about who to hire as head coach.

In the end they settled for Byron Scott!

Byron Scott?

Really?

They could have decided on that in a week!

That's how incompetent Jimmy Buss is.

• Sections
    Shortcuts