Biggest Bust in Sports History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Biggest Bust in Sports History

If the Lakers don't even make the playoffs. - Broussard/Skip

Wow, even First Take is starting to come back down to reality. Though, Skip still thinks that Kobe will WILL them into that 8th spot. Gonna be tough ...  Utah can easily go 3-1 which means the Lakers need to win all 5 remaining games (four against playoff teams).

Blow it up! Time to see that awful gold and purp rolling the dice in the lottery!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Biggest Bust in Sports History

In response to R9R's comment:

Wow, even First Take is starting to come back down to reality. Though, Skip still thinks that Kobe will WILL them into that 8th spot. Gonna be tough ...  Utah can easily go 3-1 which means the Lakers need to win all 5 remaining games (four against playoff teams).

Blow it up! Time to see that awful gold and purp rolling the dice in the lottery!

And that lottery pick will go to the Suns!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

And that lottery pick will go to the Suns!

A Thing of beauty is a joy forever. 

-John Keates. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Lots of flash, and no chemistry.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

First off the Lakers still have a shot. The Jazz are likely to go 3-1, which means the Lakers would have to go 5-0. However if the Jazz falter, the Lakers have a shot. 

Biggest bust in sports history if they don't make the playoffs? Not even close. 

this plays right into the Laker trollfan fiction that they had some kind of great team on paper this year - not true.

In fact Howard has proven himself to be overrated (and he was gimped up most of the year), whereas Nash is way too old. Folks calling this 'the biggest bust" are confusing the name on the back of the jersey with the actual ability of the player at this point in their career. Artest is also aging as well, not to mention Kobe.

The only real "bust" was D'Antoni's amazing inability to get something better out of Gasol who is still in his prime.

We should also be honest and admit that if the Lakers were in the east they would be in the playoff picture. The Western conference is deeper and better, that's fact, and another reason why this isn't the biggest bust ever.

Listen don't get me wrong, if the Lakers don't make the playoffs it is absolutely a bust, just not one of the biggest of all time... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

First off the Lakers still have a shot. The Jazz are likely to go 3-1, which means the Lakers would have to go 5-0. However if the Jazz falter, the Lakers have a shot. 

Biggest bust in sports history if they don't make the playoffs? Not even close. 

this plays right into the Laker trollfan fiction that they had some kind of great team on paper this year - not true.

In fact Howard has proven himself to be overrated (and he was gimped up most of the year), whereas Nash is way too old. Folks calling this 'the biggest bust" are confusing the name on the back of the jersey with the actual ability of the player at this point in their career. Artest is also aging as well, not to mention Kobe.

The only real "bust" was D'Antoni's amazing inability to get something better out of Gasol who is still in his prime.

We should also be honest and admit that if the Lakers were in the east they would be in the playoff picture. The Western conference is deeper and better, that's fact, and another reason why this isn't the biggest bust ever.

Listen don't get me wrong, if the Lakers don't make the playoffs it is absolutely a bust, just not one of the biggest of all time... 

I actually agree but for different reasons. Dwight's head was not right and may never be with Kobe around just having no time for the "wah wah wah" of the big 'misunderstood' center whose ego may actually be bigger than Bryant's. Kobe spent some time in shock with this observation.

Nash is a good guy. Brings a bit of class to an NBA where players like Brendan Haywood have the nerve to actually take a check from a team. But he's getting old at the wrong time with some great point-guards emerging and a raft of strong defensive guards wandering the halls.

I dunno, in a big West I thought they'd be biffing it out in the bottom half but not standing on the trapdoor.

Great box-office though. Could really hurt the lakers for the future.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1586752-updated-nba-mock-draft-heading-into-2013-final-four#/articles/1596230-its-panic-time-for-laker-nation

Its panic time in la la land...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I say it comes down to the two games agains wolves for Jazz and then final agains Grizz...

who should rest starters for that one...3 win they need to seal deal...

Lakes against Houston/Warriors should also/seal(losses) the deal as Rockets will be the spoilers..as lakers will show up uninspired....lol

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

An exaggerated statement, but it can't be denied that unless the Lakers make it past the second round in the playoffs, they will be considered a NBA bust.  Missing the playoffs with Howard, Kobe, Gasol, Nash and Meta...a major bust in sports history.  

I believe that both the Lakers and Utah will only win 2 of their remaining games and Utah will advance into the playoffs with the tie-breaker.

The problem is that Kobe and Nash are another year older and when you're approaching 40, the body deteriorates faster than when younger. I suspect that Dwight Howard has had enough of that poopie pants mess and will split L.A. and Gasol is about as happy as Rondo at the foul line (couldn't resist)... and the Lakers have no young core talent on the bench.  

It will take a Stern miracle to trade Meta Peace or Gasol for two all-stars and two first rounders to prevent L.A. from being the worst team in the West for the next 4 years.

and that would actually improve my quaity of life, because I get more satisfaction in seeing the Lakers lose than the Celtics win.   

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Lakers not making playoffs would NOT be biggest bust in history....

YANKEES blowing 3-0 lead against Red Sox in 2004 is biggest.

LAKERS tanking with Karl Malone and Gary Payton is a bigger bust than this year. Injuries to Nash, Dwight and Gasol (and now Meta) give this year's Lakers a pass....

Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell both bigger busts.

The AMARE and CARMELO Knicks will soon be added to this list after Celtics take them out....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

LAKERS tanking with Karl Malone and Gary Payton is a bigger bust than this year. Injuries to Nash, Dwight and Gasol (and now Meta) give this year's Lakers a pass....

The AMARE and CARMELO Knicks will soon be added to this list after Celtics take them out....

...and there are many more that would quality as bigger busts, including Darko, Kandi, K. Brown and our own Michael Smith, just in the NBA, and perhaps even last year's Red Sox.  

But injuries are no excuse.  they are part of the game and personnel strategy... and the Lakers are a way bigger bust than the Knicks this year.

I think we've clearly established that this year's Lakers are not the "biggest bust" in history, but none-the-less, a major bust.  and a gift that keeps on giving!!!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Fron LA Times.....T.J. SIMERS

Clippers succeed thanks to him and really crummy Lakers The Clippers win their first division title by feasting on the Lakers, who had supposedly assembled a dream team.

And just as I have preached to the guys all year, if you're going to be successful, you have to feast on the really crummy teams to pad your record.

Fortunately, the Clippers got to play the Lakers four times this season, which is like having the Houston Astros on your schedule. And they swept them, of course.  OUCH!!!

Fierce somebody else agrees with you...Crummy team...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

The Boz he was just so hyped. He had a all glow no go run that was stopped by the one and only Bo Jackson after that TD he was all done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Yeah I agree... probably not the "BIGGEST BUST" but its up there. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

The count down continues for the most over rated team in history.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

I get more satisfaction in seeing the Lakers lose than the Celtics win.   

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but I hear you. As a Celtics/Red Sox fan, while I have respect for the Yankees, I have only contempt for the Lakers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Lakers have established themselves as the greatest train wreck in NBA history!  Nothing approaches the hype of pre-season and the complete collapse right of the gates to now.  Here's hoping it continues.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

The Lakers have established themselves as the greatest train wreck in NBA history!  Nothing approaches the hype of pre-season and the complete collapse right of the gates to now.  Here's hoping it continues.

At first read, that sounded like such a huge overstatement - until you realize that the airheads on ESPN declared this Laker team easy favorites to win the title this year and said for months that its win or bust... and now ... not even making the playoffs? This is beyond a few injuries. Celtics have sustained worse injuries I think

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Agree, ...most over rated team in history.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

That isnt' a bust, that's a choke. A bust would have been if that Yankee team won 65 games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

At first read, that sounded like such a huge overstatement - until you realize that the airheads on ESPN declared this Laker team easy favorites to win the title this year and said for months that its win or bust... and now ... not even making the playoffs? This is beyond a few injuries. Celtics have sustained worse injuries I think

You are right.  Before the season began many of the NBA analysts predited that the Lakers were the team in the Western Conference that would compete with Miami for the NBA title this year. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts