Biggest Problem - Defense!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Re: Biggest Problem - Defense!

Avery, Wallace, Green, Bass, and Rondo are above average defenders.  No reason, after Stevens gets through with his expermination during the preseason and most likely the first 6 weeks of the season, that we can not have a good defensive team.  The three rookies  look adequate at defending at times and Lee has played some good D.  I just think we have not seen near enough time with a starter bunch and a good rotation to down the team.  Due to the quality of the NBA it is going to be tough on a bunch just starting out.  Plus if they ever decide to play the indestructable man, he might be a good or adequate defender.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to Fierce34's comment:

There's a game again tonight, you think the Celts will beat the Knicks tonight?

I don't think so.

Yes

Good for you, true Celtic fan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to maryngary's comment:

Good for you, true Celtic fan.

I love how "fans" here think that an entire new collection of talent will automatically gel in the first preseason game and what we see in the first few games (or preseason at all) is an indicator of what we can expect.  They won't make a run at a championship obviously but they should improve steadily as the season goes on, they may play the vets with the big contracts that they're trying to move max minutes but if we're going to get a top pick it will be due to trade not because we're a cellar dwellar, unless of course they purposely tank but I expect they'll be a middle of the pack team. Packaging Rondo with expiring contracts could net us a high 1st or a superstar in return, then again if the young guys show up like some of us expect them to this team may be a lot better than even the optimistic posters like myself think.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

In response to Fierce34's comment:

It's bad enough that the Celtics can't score on a regular basis.

But the Celts are giving up way too many points.

They gave up 103 points to the Knicks, 97 points last night, and 97 against Toronto.

On the bright side, the Celts will be in the hunt for Andrew Wiggins.

Not only the defense, but rebounding is awful too....and the offense.  I think this team will be in contention for the number 1 pick....at the very least a top 5 pick.  20-25 wins this year.

I would not mind 25-30 wins if the young guys are getting plenty of playtime.This is a rebuilding process.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Every rebuild starts somewhere ... only an idiot would hold onto PP & KG another year or two given the treasure trove Danny was able to pick up for them despite holding them long past their prime trading years.

One of the greatest trades in Celtic history.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicosUncle. Show RicosUncle's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Come on, the team can't score on a regular basis and they can't their opponent from scoring. "

You say this like it's a bad thing. I'm good with losing and heading to the lottery.

maryngary: 

"Biggest problem is that Bradley, Lee, and Green think they have it made."

This is going to get old pretty quick. Quit lumping these three players today. I watched Bradley play and heard him talk after the win and he is clearly motivated. He has a lot to prove in his career, he most certainly doesn't have it made in the NBA. He's very motivated. 

For Green, your analysis is also off. He is a head case but has always been inconsistent. I don't believe it's a motivation problem, it's something else with him. Like when you are on a bike and you can't find the right gear. I think he struggles to get in gear for whatever reason. I think he could be a number 3 guy on a decent team and a number 4 guy on a great one and a 5 ish on a championship team. 

Lee, well, you may have a point there but I'm not sure he wants to be here, he was excited to play for a contender. I expect him to be traded if we can find anyone to take his unappealing (but not outrageous) contract.

I hate Green as a player as I've said here many times but his "mental" inconsistency is more troubling than a physical injury because he's been in the NBA, as a high #1 draft choice, so someone, somewhere didn't do their homework on this guy ...you can rehab a knee but it's extremely difficult to change a player's heart and desire...his motivation problems existed long before his heart surgery....real excellence cannot be turned on and off at will...I'd rather have a Green at 85% of his capacity as long as it was there every night, than a Green who is the best player in the NBA one night then pouts for the next three....at least the reliable 85% Green allows you to P-L-A-N your game strategy and player substitutions, as well as situational basketball, far better than hoping he'll fully show up that game....He's another one we should say nice things about then dump like a burlap sack of unwanted kittens over a high bridge  before the trade deadline.

Sections
Shortcuts