Bill Russell jumps over a guy.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Bill Russell jumps over a guy.

Wow saw this over at redsarmy. Russell jumps over a guy for a layup. Looks like he is high enough that his head is at rim level. 

http://redsarmy.com/2013/02/25/random-video-bill-russell-jumps-over-a-guy-on-the-fast-break/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Bill Russell jumps over a guy.

Russell is the same height as Green. with those hops he would have made a really good 2 guard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

What would have made that guy run underneath Russell?  LeQueen would have knocked the guy over and Wade would have kicked or kneed him.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Contact was not a part of basketball back in the 1950-60 years. They could have played in gowns and tuxedos back then.

Seems

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Russ was a  7 foot high jumper and an amazing athlete.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

I doubt if there is a player in the NBA today, who is a better athlete than Russell, or Wilt Was.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

I doubt if there is a player in the NBA today, who is a better athlete than Russell, or Wilt Was.

Wilt Chamberlain "may" have been the best athlete this country has ever produced!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

Wilt Chamberlain "may" have been the best athlete this country has ever produced!!

He would get my vote!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

growing up in the '50's & '60's,  basketball was referred to as a "non contact sport"......oh how the game has changed....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

growing up in the '50's & '60's,  basketball was referred to as a "non contact sport"......oh how the game has changed....

Pretty soon football players will be playing basketball!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

Lebron changed his number from 23 to 6 because????? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to poopsteo's comment:

He doesn't think anyone should ever wear #23 again.....more about MJ than Russ, I'm afraid!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

great point "ky"....!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

As to the implication of a soft game in the '50s, does anyone know or remember Luscutoff or hand checking?  I remember many more bloody noses than occur today.  Oscar Robinson will always be the most physical guard in NBA history.  Many players had been in the service and came out as tough as nails. To think the Russell-Chamberlain wars were anything but physical battles just supports the notion that "if I didn't see it, it never happened" baloney.  Johnny Most would likely argue than the Celtics were mauled on every play!  But "non-contact"?  Nah.  l

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Painter, you make some great points.....actually the NBA was a very "rough & tumble" league back then....Wilt almost left after his first year because he was basically getting beat up every night...two reasons for that....he was a rookie and he was being tested by the "goons" every night....and he was such a nice kid that nobody expected him to fight back in the beginning....once he started filling out he became the strongest and most feared guy in the game...that Russ could physically hold his own against an opponent that was at least 3 inches taller and 50 lbs heavier is a testiment to Big Bill's skills and competitive nature..! ....both of those guys would be great's in today's game...at least in my opinion...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I have heard tommy say Wilt was the most fouled man in the history of the NBA. Mike asked why, and Tommy said that was the only chance they had to stop him and some times that didn't work either!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In response to painter's comment:

As to the implication of a soft game in the '50s, does anyone know or remember Luscutoff or hand checking?  I remember many more bloody noses than occur today.  Oscar Robinson will always be the most physical guard in NBA history.  Many players had been in the service and came out as tough as nails. To think the Russell-Chamberlain wars were anything but physical battles just supports the notion that "if I didn't see it, it never happened" baloney.  Johnny Most would likely argue than the Celtics were mauled on every play!  But "non-contact"?  Nah.  l

Painter

I assume that you were an adult during the Russell and Wilt years.  I have nothing but the greatest respect for both of them and consider both of them to have been light years ahead of the rest of the talent in the league back then. At a time when the league was predorminatingly white and skilled players 6'9" or taller was rare, its no wonder that they were so outstanding. My fondest nba memories will always be of those Russell year Celtics and of the many great monents that I witnessed. Perhaps we old timers hold the good old days at a level that is a little exaggerated.  There are 4 DVD'S available featuring the 1960's Celts. 2 of them pit Russ vs Wilt.  Those 4 DVD,S illustrate how much the game has changed over the years. Viewing those 4 games along with 6 years of research concerning basketball as played in the early years along with my own personal recollections gives me reason to view the  Russell years differently then you do. But it doesn't really matter. I'm sure that your very happy with your memories and thats all that matters.

Seems 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

The 60's NBA was much more physical than the game is today.

Start with 2 refs, and no oversight. Players could get away with stuff since there was no review. Also the league was still trying to sell itself. They did not want play stopped for foul shots.

Hand checking meant being pushed and held. This kept a lot of fine college players from making it. Calvin Murphy would be incredible in todays game. He struggled back then at 5'9" despite being able to beat up anybody.

Speaking of rough stuff, the players basically policed themselves. Bill Russell threw 2 punches in his career. Both resulted in broken jaws. Willis Reed decked Rudy LaRusso, John Block, and then ran to the bench looking for more Lakers, some of whom were hiding under it. Today, this would get you suspended, banned, or even put in jail.

Sadly, there's no film of this. When Wilt called it a bush league he was pretty much right. But we loved it.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

This is in response to my old friend "Seems" on the subject of the quality of the NBA in the early days.... (by the way, how are you buddy...?)

You stated that Russ & Wilt were way ahead of the competition when the league was mostly white and there were few talented 6-9 & up big men.....I have to disagree.....

Take today's NBA......the center position has just been eliminated in the all star balloting for lack of (all star) quality big men...there are 30 teams and not enough true centers in the game today...

Now lets go back to the 1960-61 through the 1969-70 seasons....a period of ten years...the league started out with eight teams in 60/61 and had 14 teams by 69/70.....now look at the talent at the center position...

Hall of Fame Centers (note, there was one guy under 6-9)

Bill Russell (6-10)

Wilt Chamberlain (7-1)

Walt Bellamy (6-11)

Nate Thurmond (6-11)

Willis Reed (6-9)

Wes Unseld (6-7)

Elvin Hayes (6-9)

Lew Alcindor (7-2)

in addition, Wayne Embry (6-8) was a 5 time all star and Zelmo Beaty (6-9) was also a 5 time all star (NBA/ABA)...

then, keep in mind that Dave Cowens (another 6-9 Hall of famer) came in a year later...

all in all, I think the quality play of the "Big Man" started in the early days and continued on until the league began to become watered down during the last 10-15 years...IMHO the era of greatness began with the advent of the shot clock which began the modern NBA as we know it...and it's just another example of the Celtic's greatness.....almost one third of the Lakers' titles came in the "Mikan Era" which basically equates to the Dead Ball Era" of MLB (1900-1920)

just one man's opinion...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

This is in response to my old friend "Seems" on the subject of the quality of the NBA in the early days.... (by the way, how are you buddy...?)

You stated that Russ & Wilt were way ahead of the competition when the league was mostly white and there were few talented 6-9 & up big men.....I have to disagree.....

Take today's NBA......the center position has just been eliminated in the all star balloting for lack of (all star) quality big men...there are 30 teams and not enough true centers in the game today...

Now lets go back to the 1960-61 through the 1969-70 seasons....a period of ten years...the league started out with eight teams in 60/61 and had 14 teams by 69/70.....now look at the talent at the center position...

Hall of Fame Centers (note, there was one guy under 6-9)

Bill Russell (6-10)

Wilt Chamberlain (7-1)

Walt Bellamy (6-11)

Nate Thurmond (6-11)

Willis Reed (6-9)

Wes Unseld (6-7)

Elvin Hayes (6-9)

Lew Alcindor (7-2)

in addition, Wayne Embry (6-8) was a 5 time all star and Zelmo Beaty (6-9) was also a 5 time all star (NBA/ABA)...

then, keep in mind that Dave Cowens (another 6-9 Hall of famer) came in a year later...

all in all, I think the quality play of the "Big Man" started in the early days and continued on until the league began to become watered down during the last 10-15 years...IMHO the era of greatness began with the advent of the shot clock which began the modern NBA as we know it...and it's just another example of the Celtic's greatness.....almost one third of the Lakers' titles came in the "Mikan Era" which basically equates to the Dead Ball Era" of MLB (1900-1920)

just one man's opinion...

Hey Duke

Great to hear from you. As you know this is one of my favorite subjects and I hope that over the  next few days you and I can have a pleasant discussion on this matter. Because of my lack of typing skills it takes me hours to communicate thoughts that I could pass on in minutes verbally. I'll offer some thoughts starting tomorrow.

Seems

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill2. Show aussiewill2's posts

Russell is the greatest of all time, they talk Jordan, and others active today, but if they played against Russ in his prime 57- 65 they would have been awe struck. Russell is a bad self PR guy. Always has been, he came up when there was still segregation in the south. The Celtics, through the genius of Red Auerbach traded Easy Ed McCauley and their number 1 draft Pick , that turned out to be the brilliant Chuck Hagen. for the St. Louis Hawk rights to Russell.

That has turned out to be one of the most incredible trades in Sports History. Russell was only 6'9"  but his arms were that of a 7 footer or more. So he had the speed of a smaller man, and the length of a 7 footer, and the timing of a magician. The man averaged 22 rebounds per game, not for a year, for 13 years. They didn't keep track of blocked shots in the 50's and 60's he would have averaged 8 blocks a game, for sure. 

I am very grateful for being able to see Russ play many times. When he was any where near someone driving on the hoop, they would hear his footsteps, not like today where they make all types of body contact and no foul is called, Big Bill would come out of no where and swat it away.

His battles with the great Wilt Chamberlain, were legendary, Chamberlain a truly gifted player , who would hold all the championship titles of his era, except for one William Felton Russell. Wilt managed to win once while Russell was playing, in 67 . It took at that time the most victories by any NBA team in one season , to knock off the Celts. Wilt, Luke Jackson, Billy Cunningham, Hal Greer and others to beat Russell. Heinsolm , Sharman, Cousy, the Great Sam Jones were either retired or about to. Still they took the 76'ers to 6 games . 

Russell was special, like Wilt, Jabbar, ,Jordan, Magic, Byrd , Lebron, Shaq, Kobe , but he was the best of the best, the records speak for themselves.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good deal Seems....as always, I enjoy our discussions...I'd say that for the most part we see eye to eye...other times we just agree to disagree...always engaging....

I usually base my opinions on my years spent watching and researching the game.....I am the first to admit that todays players are bigger and stronger....much of that has to do with their workout regimen, which includes weight training, diet, and supplements.....I argue that, given the same training back in the day, those athletes would've bulked up somewhat......I believe that Russell (listed at 215 as a rookie and generally listed at 220-225 towards the end of his career) would've added some muscle and would be listed around 240 or so...for what it's worth, Dwight Howard is listed as 6-11/240).....again...just one man's opinion...

take care pal..!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Hi Duke

Got all the trivial tasks for the day out of the way. Now its time to turn back the clock and act like a kid again.

I guess a good place to start is back in the early 50's. Since you mentioned Stall Ball I'll point out a few numbers about those pre SHOT CLOCK days. The shot clock certainly was a much needed inovation because some games were stalled to the point where fans were paying for a non event.  I reviewed the score for every every game in 1953-54 and as I recall less than 2% of the 700 or so games were stall games. As soon as I find my notes on these numbers I'll verify them. But even with those STALL games included in the averages those  5 NBA  years leading up to the shot clock are pretty much the same as the last 5 years when it comes to shots attempted.

Combining FIELD GOAL AND FREE THROW ATEMPTS it turns out that fewer shots per game are being taken now then were taken back in the pre clock years. Pre shot years ave.-- 227.4 shots,per game,---2007-08 thru 2011-12---2111.3 shots per game ave. Next I'll jump to Russell's 1st full year in the league. 1957-58.

Seems

Sections
Shortcuts