Bill Russell Scuplture

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Bill Russell Scuplture

After reading who the finalists are for the commission to portray one of the greatest players of all time, I was sickened.  Each sculptor makes work that is vapid, lifeless, badly drawn, and devoid of "art" - they make work that is nothing but depiction, a surface rendering that leaves out the spirit of the subject.  With all of the very good sculptors around, it's obvious to me that the panel of judges don't know a damn thing about either sculpture or art.  Making a portrait sculpture of a living person is tricky because the actual living person is going to be superior to a piece of bronze; however, there are sculptors who can achieve the essence of the person while getting the likeness.  One Boston artist can do this but probably cannot take on the project at this point in his life - John Wilson.  Wilson's work is magical and powerful and would have done a truly masterful work of art.  Russell deserves better and he deserves someone like John Wilson to capture his spirit as well as his physical presence.  A lost opportunity - this should have been done decades ago when Russell should have been recognized and when Wilson could have done the job.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Re: Bill Russell Scuplture

In Response to Bill Russell Scuplture:
    After reading who the finalists are for the commission to portray one of the greatest players of all time, I was sickened.  Each sculptor makes work that is vapid, lifeless, badly drawn, and devoid of "art" - they make work that is nothing but depiction, a surface rendering that leaves out the spirit of the subject.  With all of the very good sculptors around, it's obvious to me that the panel of judges don't know a damn thing about either sculpture or art.  Making a portrait sculpture of a living person is tricky because the actual living person is going to be superior to a piece of bronze; however, there are sculptors who can achieve the essence of the person while getting the likeness.  One Boston artist can do this but probably cannot take on the project at this point in his life - John Wilson.  Wilson's work is magical and powerful and would have done a truly masterful work of art.  Russell deserves better and he deserves someone like John Wilson to capture his spirit as well as his physical presence.  A lost opportunity - this should have been done decades ago when Russell should have been recognized and when Wilson could have done the job.  
    Posted by painter

"Each sculptor makes work that is vapid, lifeless, badly drawn, and devoid of "art"."

Sounds like you're describing the entire current Celtics team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

First: 5/22/2007
    Last: 7/12/2011

-----------------------------------

What do you expect from a classless, RACIST town such as Boston? Come on, be realistic, Russell did not even like playing for your city due to the racism. I'm just sayin'

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Actually Russell has been and continues to be a very private and dignified man. He was greatly and properly offended by the treatment he received in Boston by some idiots who didn't/couldn't appreciate his excellence and his contributions to our community.

The racial divide was much bigger than just in Boston. Russell was an activist along with Jim Brown and Muhammed Ali in testifying before Congress during the civil rights era and in marching with MLK. He worked for change the right way--for which I am very grateful to him.  It's quite an achievement that the President awarded him the Medal of Honor earlier this year.

Seeing him help KG and the Celtics celebrate in 2008 was a good lesson for all of us--that it is possible to get over the insults, remember some of the good, and live in the present. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

After hearing Ted Williams exceptance speech Rus said he thought there was hope for change. He said he was so taken back by what people percieved Ted Williams to be and for what he really was. The two talked around 1964. Ted said he could give a damn what color a man was but only how well he could hit a baseball. Russ looked over and said thats all any of us really wanted was to be looked at for what we could do not for our limitations but for our excellence.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

In Response to Re: Bill Russell Scuplture:
    Actually Russell has been and continues to be a very private and dignified man. He was greatly and properly offended by the treatment he received in Boston by some idiots who didn't/couldn't appreciate his excellence and his contributions to our community. The racial divide was much bigger than just in Boston. Russell was an activist along with Jim Brown and Muhammed Ali in testifying before Congress during the civil rights era and in marching with MLK. He worked for change the right way--for which I am very grateful to him.  It's quite an achievement that the President awarded him the Medal of Honor earlier this year. Seeing him help KG and the Celtics celebrate in 2008 was a good lesson for all of us--that it is possible to get over the insults, remember some of the good, and live in the present. 
    Posted by champs08

Correction to your post, Russ wasn't offended by some idiots...he was offended by most of the Celtics fans, who were all idiots. He didn't show up for the number retirement because of a few racists, he didn't show up because most of the Celtic fans were racists. So let's not minimize events back then.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Short history lesson is in order. Celtics were the first NBA franchise to start an all black line-up and the first to sign a black head coach. Mr. Russell. Auerbach was certainly ahead of his time in showing the city some of the best talent in the NBA.

Painting a whole city with such a wide-brush just doesn't make it so. Yes, there were a fair number of loudmouths here, just as there were some in Brooklyn when Jackie Robinson played there in the late 40's. No denying that reality either. I'm certainly not defending their actions. They were flat-out wrong!

Russell didn't show up for the PUBLIC number-retirement ceremony and preferred a private one with his teammates. He was NOT interested in the limelight unlike most of today's players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Actually Russell has been and continues to be a very private and dignified man. He was greatly and properly offended by the treatment he received in Boston by some idiots who didn't/couldn't appreciate his excellence and his contributions to our community. The racial divide was much bigger than just in Boston. Russell was an activist along with Jim Brown and Muhammed Ali in testifying before Congress during the civil rights era and in marching with MLK. He worked for change the right way--for which I am very grateful to him.  It's quite an achievement that the President awarded him the Medal of Honor earlier this year. Seeing him help KG and the Celtics celebrate in 2008 was a good lesson for all of us--that it is possible to get over the insults, remember some of the good, and live in the present. 
    Posted by champs08

Very well written.  In his book, Russ said he didn't want a public ceremony.  He wanted it private!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

To LakersAvenger

Since you weren't there, and I was, you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.   Boston did have a good deal of racism back in the Russell years (and beyond), but "most of the Celtics fans" were not racists -- not by a long shot.  And you weren't even born yet, so why are you such an authority?  You've spent too many summers trying to dive into the Los Angeles River -- but it's hard to miss the concrete.  :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Re: To LakersAvenger

In Response to To LakersAvenger:
    Since you weren't there, and I was, you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.   Boston did have a good deal of racism back in the Russell years (and beyond), but "most of the Celtics fans" were not racists -- not by a long shot.  And you weren't even born yet, so why are you such an authority?  You've spent too many summers trying to dive into the Los Angeles River -- but it's hard to miss the concrete.  :-)
    Posted by Number6Fan

Then why did Russell say that Boston was a flea market of racism?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

Lakersavenger = Sour and jealous like Kareem Abdul "where's my statue?" Jabbar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Lakersavenger = Sour and jealous like Kareem Abdul "where's my statue?" Jabbar
    Posted by DFURY13

I'm not trying to be nasty. I just want to know why Bill said that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In Response to Re: Bill Russell Scuplture : I'm not trying to be nasty. I just want to know why Bill said that.
    Posted by lakersavenger

I'm not saying there wasn't a lot of racism in Boston in the 50s and 60s (and even into the 70s) -- there was (and there was a lot in a lot of other places too -- ask Rodney King).  But you're imputing it to "most Celtics fans" which is absolutely untrue.  Most Bruins fan, maybe.  Some Red Sox fans, sure.  Red Sox ownership, most definitely.  "Most Celtics fans?"  Not a chance.

Russ had an unfortunate break-in at his house, was undoubtredly wise never to walk through South Boston, was as angry as the rest of us were embarrassed by the antics of Louise Day Hicks. There is certainly a conversation to be had here about the history of racism in New England.  But in your eagerness to trash the Celtics, you paint with far too broad a brush.  You need to word your accusations far more carefully. 

Sections
Shortcuts