Bill Russell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

Re: Bill Russell

In Response to Re: Bill Russell:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : Conditioning and nutrition have improved.  Both Joe DiMaggio and Carl Yastrzemski were smokers-  -Mark Belanger, too. The POINT is..........I would never go on a laker site and diss Magic or Jerry West or Kareem (I can here, this is a Celtics blog).  What gives them the right to come on here and diss our players?  Magic was great, West was great, Kareem was great.............but Russell wasn't?? Having a friendly disagreement over who is the BEST of all -time is a fun exercise, and I don't mind doing it at all.  As you've said, it's  a generational thing.  BUT, when the people you are arguing with won't even give your players common respect and courtesy?  That I cannot and will not tolerate!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Now, you are really something. Russell wasn't great? I say Paranoid must be your middle name, and Illogical must be your first.

We are talking about GOAT- GREATEST OF ALL TIME.

So a player not the greatest of all time == not great?

Even Lakers fans would concede that Magic, Kareem, West, etc. weren't GOAT, but that doesn't diminish their greatness a bit.

Yet when all the evidences show that Russell wasn't considered GOAT, all hell broke loose...

Keep up the strawman argument, you need it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : Just trying to make a point about how the great ones would be great in any generation.  I know nothing about soccer, and don't profess to.  But wouldn't Pele still be a good player in today's game?

See, your moving of the goalpost is really astounding.

Pele is considered GOAT in the history of the sport,  now you relegate him to merely "a good player in today's game"?

So you are arguing against a strawman that we wouldn't even recognize Russell as a good player in today's game?

OK, you win. I admit that Russell would be a "good" player in today's game.

To get your inference that your camp's GOAT is merely a "good" player in today's game, it's time well spent...

Good players in today's game: Chris Bosh, Amare, Brendan Roy, Joe Johnson, Manu, Rondo, etc.

Welcome on board, Bill...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]The lakers were in second place behind the Suns when the trade was made.  So shoot me!!  NOTHING else you wrote refutes me - is that absolutely clear to you - NOTHING.  I will not discuss it any further with you, I'd rather hit my head against the wall!!

That's called "not telling the whole truth". Using a fact to lie, by concealing the whole picture.

What about second place? Do they do playoffs by division? On 2/1/2008, time of the trade:

Hornets 32-13
    Suns 33-14
    Mavericks 31-14
    Spurs 29-16
    Lakers 28-16
    Jazz 28-18

Western conference standings, 5th best record. They wouldn't even get home court in the first round. If you talk about seeding, they would be 6th seed.

1. NOH*
    2. PHO*
    3. Dal
    4. UTA*
    5. Sas
    6. Lal

*Division winners.

Go ahead, refute this FACT.

Now, the Lakers were satisfied being the #6 seed, that they wouldn't be interested in a roster upgrade? Now, what about knowing nothing about basketball?

Yep, you won't talk about it again. You had said "bye" many times, but you are still smarting that someone had the nerve to totally refute your "No bynum injury, no gasol" rubbish. I know this is your hot button, you have been programmed to get raved everytime I bring it up...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.celticstown.com/2009/06/26/bill-russell-celtics-legend/ The last official vote by the NBA writers was done in 1980.....there have been many polls and opinions...but I think this is the last "official ranking" as recognized by the league since then...ESPN didn't exist in 1980....now, if there has been a revision of the ranking then I am in error and I can accept that....this isn't mathematics....there cannot be an exact and clear cut answer....it is an opinion....the writers voted Russ as the Greatest Player in NBA History....someone wants to claim it was MJ....or Bird or Magic? .....fine with me.....I'll stand on the man's record as a winner and how he revolutionized the league.....he invented the blocked shot and was the master of intimidation...his rebounding started the famed fast break that the Celtics relied on to win...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

There is something funny about a vote in 1980. It was a vote of the players in the dark ages. That was before MJ, and that was just the first year of the NBA's golden era, the Magic/Bird era. Just like if you had taken a vote on hockey in 1980, Gretzky wouldn't have been GOAT. It would have gone to Gordie Howe instead.

Just 8 years later, Red Auerbach publicly acknowledged that Larry Bird was the greatest of all-time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1998/bird/flashbacks/1988flash.html

Boston's Larry Bird, in what may be his finest season, gets Red Auerbach's vote—over Bill Russell—as the best ever
    Auerbach stood up that night and said, ''If I had to start a team, the one guy in all history I would take would be Larry Bird. This is the greatest ballplayer who ever played the game.'' To say this took an extraordinary amount of ''soul-searching'' on Auerbach's part. It meant that Bill Russell was No. 2.

See, Russell's 11 rings were undone by merely 8 years of service from Larry Bird, of only 3 rings and 3 MVPs. That was even before Bird's career was over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : Twist and spin, spin and twist.  It is harder to get into Holy Cross - always was, always will be - period!!

But it's harder to get into the NBA now, period.

Your twisting with Holy Cross won't save your argument.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : YAWN!

What? no rebuttal to the fact? what a surprise!!!!

Keep yawning. That's the only thing you can do with your garbage "no bynum injury, no gasol"...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : Pele - great then, great now Russell - great then, great now Magic  - great then, great now Jim Brown - see the pattern yet?? [/QUOTE]

Umm.... you retracting yourself?

You asked "But wouldn't Pele still be a good player in today's game?" the context was merely "a good player". How did he become "great now"?

Using your logic, I've already conceded Russell as a good player now. You still not satisfied?

[QUOTE]
    You know, taking three posts to respond to my one might be considered stalking.  Go away now and stalk somebody else - you need professional help.[/QUOTE]
    You know, you should take a course in remedial reading. I responded to different posts of yours, but knowing that you always forget what you said, that's no surprise...

[QUOTE]
    You stand by your assertations, and I'll stand by mine - and together we can go our separate ways.
    [/QUOTE]
    You can stand by your assertions alright. No one can stop you for being ignorant about basketball, like a team wouldn't have made a trade to upgrade itself even though it's sitting at 5th (and 6th seed) in the conference. That's an assertion which is totally clueless about sports or competition. No one will stop you for standing by that.

[QUOTE]
    PLEASE, okay, please stop responding to my posts....I have asked nicely.[/QUOTE]

How about this, I am asking you nicely, stop responding to my post as if you run out of argument. In other words, I am asking you nicely to admit that you have no more arguments...

But somehow I won't bet on it...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell :   Red-Russ     "That I cannot and will not tolerate". And just what have you done to stop it?  Your aggravated, and they are having a blast taunting you. And yet you continue to respond to all their "baiting". You are not going to win this Kids game that they are playing.  The ignore button is there for a reason. Use it. On the other hand, if you really enjoy this type of discussion on a daily basis, keep it going.  Seems
    Posted by SeemsToMe[/QUOTE]

Think I'll try it your way.  This is supposed to be a thread about the great Bill Russell and his forthcoming staute.  I don't need to defend myself or Bill to anyone!  Thanks for the tip, and I'll try it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]Avenger....How the hell did I get into this quarrel between you and Red/Russ....? I thought that I have been pretty civil in our posts....no? It's ok if you want to consider me as an "old man" (which I certainly don't feel like)....but c'mon ...have I gone toe to toe with you that much...? ...and my life revolves around these message boards?.....hey...lighten up a little....life is too short, right.....?   ....believe it or not, I have a very fulfilling lifestyle living here in New England!!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke:

Watching the next Koufax, Clayton Kershaw, pitch last night (what a pitcher!!!), I noted that the Dodgers are wearing a #4 patch on the sleeve in tribute to "The Duke."

A very nice touch.

Pud

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : Think I'll try it your way.  This is supposed to be a thread about the great Bill Russell and his forthcoming staute.  I don't need to defend myself or Bill to anyone!  Thanks for the tip, and I'll try it!

Good move... as a tribute to Russ.

Pud

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Looks as if Redley34 got SMACKED around AGAIN!  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. Redley34 is definitely insane. Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Hey Pud, isn't Kershaw something? I hope he is our ace for a long time. I didn't know about the patch honoring Duke.....nice touch....thanks for the update pal...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

[QUOTE]OR - being a lakers fan, coming on a Celtics forum, dissing the C's and their fans, getting BANNED over and over again, coming back  - doing the same thing and expecting different results.  THAT is insane.  And you are correct, Majic is clearly nuts, as he doesn't even get one point I'm trying to make, he just spins it around and around - ask anyone on here!!

Redley34, please stop embarassing yourself. Lakersavenger already made you look foolish enough. I just feel bad for you and for your father who Lakersavenger referenced.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Redley34, I never said it was funny. On the contrary, I said that I feel bad for you and your father. Please refrain from trying to twist what I say into something else. You were just complaining about Majic doing this.

Hypocrite!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

First: 6/2/2011
    Last: 7/18/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a38eb8836-a754-4de6-a16c-5f331f0bf204&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:38eb8836-a754-4de6-a16c-5f331f0bf204Post:3b348bb8-edc3-4a88-85b3-9147902dba37">Re: Bill Russell:
    In Response to Re: Bill Russell : Redley34, please stop embarassing yourself. Lakersavenger already made you look foolish enough. I just feel bad for you and for your father who Lakersavenger referenced.
    Posted by koberulz

Tayshawn, "avenger" didn't reference him in  a positive light - and you have no right to reference him at all - back off or I swear to God I will hire a lawyer and sue your low class, condescending, little a..
    This is about basketball, and try to remember that.  My father is dead, how can you feel sorry for him? 

------------------------------------------------

Hypocrites such as yourself tend to respond with meaningless threats. AND, I tend to feel sorry for most dead people, so sue me, wise guy! Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill Russell : Duke: Watching the next Koufax, Clayton Kershaw, pitch last night (what a pitcher!!!), I noted that the Dodgers are wearing a #4 patch on the sleeve in tribute to "The Duke." A very nice touch. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Let's not get carried away with the Koufax comparisons quite yet!  You'll be very fortuntate if he's as good as Jon Lester!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Yep.....I'll take another Jon Lester for the west coast team!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Duke&Red/Russ:

I could be happy with another Jon Lester too.

Kershaw is a real bulldog on the mound. Deliberate he is not. As soon as he gets the toss from the catcher.... he is locked, loaded and ready to fire again. All business on the mound.

He had his 3rd baseman make a throwing error behind him last game that led to a 3  run homer, all unearned. Kershaw still won though. His 10th of the season.

Kershaw took responsibility himself for the runs scored, apologized for not picking up his teammate after the bad throw  and said that it is his job to bear down in situations like that because they pick him up all the time... when they score runs for him.

That sort of unselfishness is contagious and at such a young age, Kershaw already knows that.

The kid's a keeper... big time.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

[QUOTE]Red-16Russ-11 Posts: 790 First: 6/2/2011 Last: 7/18/2011 In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a38eb8836-a754-4de6-a16c-5f331f0bf204&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:38eb8836-a754-4de6-a16c-5f331f0bf204Post:3b348bb8-edc3-4a88-85b3-9147902dba37 " /> Re: Bill Russell : In Response to Re: Bill Russell : Redley34, please stop embarassing yourself. Lakersavenger already made you look foolish enough. I just feel bad for you and for your father who Lakersavenger referenced. Posted by koberulz Tayshawn, "avenger" didn't reference him in  a positive light - and you have no right to reference him at all - back off or I swear to God I will hire a lawyer and sue your low class, condescending, little a.. This is about basketball, and try to remember that.  My father is dead, how can you feel sorry for him?  ------------------------------------------------ Hypocrites such as yourself tend to respond with meaningless threats. AND, I tend to feel sorry for most dead people, so sue me, wise guy!
    Posted by koberulz[/QUOTE]
    HedleylaRuss sounds sicker and sicker. Not even worth replying to his childishness. And to think that Duke has supported this idiot's outlandish remarks. When Duke did that a few days ago I pretty much lost respect for him and his credibility.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Duke&Red/Russ: I could be happy with another Jon Lester too. Kershaw is a real bulldog on the mound. Deliberate he is not. As soon as he gets the toss from the catcher.... he is locked, loaded and ready to fire again. All business on the mound. He had his 3rd baseman make a throwing error behind him last game that led to a 3  run homer, all unearned. Kershaw still won though. His 10th of the season. Kershaw took responsibility himself for the runs scored, apologized for not picking up his teammate after the bad throw  and said that it is his job to bear down in situations like that because they pick him up all the time... when they score runs for him . That sort of unselfishness is contagious and at such a young age, Kershaw already knows that. The kid's a keeper... big time. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Fielders usually appreciate a pitcher who works quickly.  Funny how this started about Bill Russell and ended up being about "the other" Bill Russell's team - the Dodgers!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

lakersavenger,

you really are a bit behind...

phill was a avg. to good player at best...Russell you can argue was the best ever....remember kiss the 11 rings..He built the league...Remember what do you have with no foundation...NOTHING....

now lets look at the players who were stars as coaches...

Look at ervin magic johnson....HOW GOOD WAS HE??????..........or are you going to say he didnt have the talent...TALENT MAKES A COACH...which is part of it..AND managing EGOS IS THE OTHER......Compare russells teams he coached against magics FAILED COACHING....also those team hired russell as there drawing card and he got paid...Phill was very lucky to even be named head coach...Remember he had a short leash in chicago....When collins got fired...

If you look at player and coach..

look at KC jones...winner of 2 rings as a coach...

tommy heinson winner of 2 rings.......russell 2 rings as a coach.....

and reb himself...9 as a coach....7 as GM/pres....

Sections
Shortcuts