Bill Walton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Bill Walton?

This guy hat totally lost his mind.  He actually said that the win over the Lakers on Sunday was the biggest win in franchise history.  He came to the Sac announcer team in the second quarter and would not shut up.  I know the announcers were getting sick of him.  He would not let them talk period.  He is nearly as bad as Joe Namath was on MNF.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Re: Bill Walton?

Well and what he was saying in that time is just nonsense... he really irritates me

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

He's was way more entertaining than Donny. He should remain a guest announcer, however.
    Too harsh on the criticism.
    He said Rondo stunk on sunday when he just was'nt spectacular.
    He was just very good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Bill Walton?:
    This guy hat totally lost his mind.  He actually said that the win over the Lakers on Sunday was the biggest win in franchise history.  He came to the Sac announcer team in the second quarter and would not shut up.  I know the announcers were getting sick of him.  He would not let them talk period.  He is nearly as bad as Joe Namath was on MNF.
    Posted by OneOnOne

I enjoy Walton. If/when he rants a bit too much I can always hit the mute button but typically not a problem. A great player with credibility. He knows the game and isn't afraid to speak his mind and be controversial.

He was nuts way back when in his playing days in case you didn't notice... and with flair! BTW, BWalton definitely has Rondo's number.

The announcer who really blows my skirt is the totally obnoxious "diaper dandy" motor-mouth... Dick Vitale.

While I'm at it, I enjoyed Cornbread's color comments last night. I rarely hear him. Maybe never.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

So what...Bill's having fun. If he got on the mike and started dissing the Cs you guys would hunt him down. Just shake your head and turn down the sound....he's quite funny to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mondomara. Show mondomara's posts

You have to take the good with the bad with Bill.  He does have alot of good insight, though.  And he seems to bleed Celtic green.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from champs08. Show champs08's posts

Remember too that his son, Luke, plays for the Lakers. He seems to have no love for them at all. He is the master of overstatement and, yes, tries to be the entertainer!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Bill is a Celtic and did a very good job for us in a championship year, give him a bit of rope  , his brain is something else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Maybe his past is catching up with him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Bill Walton played one healthy year with the Celtics.  Yet he identidies himself as a Celtic.   He also identifies himself as a Bruin.

The guy has a really, really strong need to be associated with a long term winner. 

He sure doesn't talk about all the great times he had as a San Diego Clipper.  He even doesn't talk about the Trailblazers much even though for the one and two-thirds seasons he was healthy there he was probably the best basketball player in the world and led Portland to its only title not to mention winning an MVP.  I guess how it all ended badly there with a young contender falling apart amidst accusations of medical conflicts of interest colors his memories.

As an analyst, I take everything he says with a huge grain of salt.  He tries to be provactive but too often just comes off as lacking credibilty.

But as a player what sweet memories he evokes.  The guy was just a natural who always seemed to instinctively make the right play--providing his body didn't betray him.  He had that ability like Bird or Magic or Jordan to see things before they happened.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Walton was one of the most dominating college players I've seen play. As a professional he had some terrific seasons with the Blazers but was nagged with severe foot problem. As a result, his NBA career as being a dominant player was limited in years due to injuries of his feet.
         He was an important player with the C's during the 86 championship season. He was will past his prime with the C's but still a good player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

When Portland won it in 1977 Walton was as good as any center in NBA history.  The next year they were 50-10 before he went down.

That was a young team that would have dominated for many years.

One of the more tantalizing "what ifs."

In 1986 he was fantastic here giving the C's HOF caliber play for about 15 minutes a game.  I heard that after they won #16 and all the parades and partys were over, Walton went over to Larry Bird's house and when told by Bird's girlfriend that he was asleep from sheer exhaustion, Walton asked if he could just sit in the kitchen until Larry woke up the next day.

Bird's girlfriend said that she sensed that he just wanted to savor it all and make it last as long as possible.

A real shame the guy just had so many physcial problems.  If he had been healthy more than about four seasons, we might be talking about Walton as the greates center ever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I think you may be right about Walton Pliu in regards to your last sentence. There were other players I can think of that had great seasons and talent, but their careers were hindered by severe injuries. The first person that comes to mind for me is Bernard King. I I think if he hadn't had all the knee injuries, he may have been one of the top ten and most likely a top 20 player of all time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

How about Sidney Mocrief or the Celtic nightmare of the early '80's Andrew Toney a/k/a The Boston Strangler?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Really nice points Paul and Mem,  Walton was as good as any of the greats.  His feet did him in and unfortunately for him eras and years define big men.  He just didn't put in enough of them.

Bernard King how great was he. The Bird Magic era was the renaissance period of the NBA.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

I liked Bill Walton as a player but as an announcer, I hate him and would rather watch the game in silence then here him talk. I'm glad he's not doing the national broadcasts anymore.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bfletch56. Show bfletch56's posts

Cedric Maxwell actually called a very good game for the C's in Sacramento the other night. I'd rather see him than any other announcer. Talk about funny with his comments. Donny is good in his pre and post game analysis, and a pretty good play by play guy alongside Gorman. Not sure what the future holds in terms of game broadcast, but I'd like to see Max and Donny team up!

Sections
Shortcuts