Billy Hunter Walked Out of the Room

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Billy Hunter Walked Out of the Room

The NBA players could not be more out of touch.  This thing get settled in what will be a riduculous season.  Which will only hurt this already flagging game.  The NBA is hurting itself for many years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

The problem is Hunter is playing a game of "he who blinks first loses" with people who have crazy glue on their eyelids!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

so the players come from 57% to 52.5% while the owners don't move one inch.  The players have offered to come to 51.5% if the owners move and the owners say "NO".  

And the players are out of touch?????

If they owners moved to 51% and the players moved to 51%, then the players would have moved 6% from their current salary (something like $230M or $250M from what I read) and the owners only had to move up 1%.   

Come on, owners - compromise so we can see some games!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Billy Hunter Walked Out of the Room:
    [QUOTE]so the players come from 57% to 52.5% while the owners don't move one inch.  The players have offered to come to 51.5% if the owners move and the owners say "NO".   And the players are out of touch????? If they owners moved to 51% and the players moved to 51%, then the players would have moved 6% from their current salary (something like $230M or $250M from what I read) and the owners only had to move up 1%.    Come on, owners - compromise so we can see some games!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

In the last CBA, the players got 57% with a handshake deal that it would switch this time around.  Coming down to 51% when you promised 43% is NOT acting in good faith.  In addition, the LeBron and Melo situations really ticked the owners off, and they want to make sure that doesn't happen again.  Limiting contracts and player movement only makes sense, as the inmates are running the asylum right now!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Billy Hunter Walked Out of the Room : In the last CBA, the players got 57% with a handshake deal that it would switch this time around.  Coming down to 51% when you promised 43% is NOT acting in good faith.  In addition, the LeBron and Melo situations really ticked the owners off, and they want to make sure that doesn't happen again.  Limiting contracts and player movement only makes sense, as the inmates are running the asylum right now!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you got your facts but the players did not promise 43%.  no one in the right mind promises a 15% drop in share of revenue.  Please provide a link or a quote of where this is factually stated.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Billy Hunter Walked Out of the Room : If the refs go on strike you hire replacement refs. If the players go on strike you can hire replacement players. Can you hire replacement owners if the owners lock you out?
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

If the owners think they can pull that off, then they should do it!   I would welcome that ploy.  Let's see how many fans and TV contracts are coming to these games or watching these games.  I believe you would have no arenas with more than 1,000 fans and no TV viewership.  But, I could be wrong.  The owners should try it if they think it will prove that the players aren't the most important part of the game.  That would be very interesting.......to see how many people on this Board alone would go see some Euro fillins and some NBDL fill ins instead of Pierce, Garnett, Ray Allen, and Rondo.  Yea....Right!

The rest of the question doesn't make sense, young man.   We're not talking about replacing owners if they lock you out.  What sense does that make?  The discussion is about who should compromise for the fans to have the game back.   Side with one side or another with a logical argument, but what does "the game doesn't go on if the owners lock you out" have to do with anything?  Please explain logically.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Celtics 4 life,
    My opinion certainly is not on the owner's side. It is based on the reality that the players have gotten too much power in a league that is losing money.   The league is not viable for most franchises.  They are digging in, one because they are greedy and two because the economy is so bad that ticket sales and prices cannot be supported under the present agreement. It is a shame that they cannot make an agreement that takes in the present environment and adjusts if the NBA becomes more profitable. I hate Stern with a passion but to see top players who are very wealthy destroy the league while the majority of players will suffer greatly, not to mention the workers who depend on the NBA season being played is as selfish and bad as Stern and his owners.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Billy Hunter Walked Out of the Room : I don't know where you got your facts but the players did not promise 43%.  no one in the right mind promises a 15% drop in share of revenue.  Please provide a link or a quote of where this is factually stated.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I don't have a link.  Do you?  It was being discussed on  ESPN radio out here last summer as I was driving around.  They brought in an "expert", who was privvy to the negotiations (Broussard or Ford or Wilbon...can't remember).  Apparently the LAST time, the owners wanted a 50-50 split - but the players held out for 57 % (which is outrageous, btw).  Many owners balked, but the understanding was that in the next CBA (THIS one), the revenues would switch and it would essentially be 50-50 over the long haul................
    I maintain that the owners will give a little on BRI, though, if the system issues are resolved to their satisfaction.  And since they can't even decide on what to do with the MLE.............well, I think this is a long one, folks!!

Sections
Shortcuts