Bleacher Report - Rebuilding the Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Re: Bleacher Report - Rebuilding the Celtics

In response to billge's comment:

8 rebounds 42% free throw playing small forward but actually center?

Oh yeah. I forgot about his poor FT shooting. Also, keep in mind the kid is one of, if not the youngest in the draft.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

8 rebounds 42% free throw playing small forward but actually center?

Oh yeah. I forgot about his poor FT shooting. Also, keep in mind the kid is one of, if not the youngest in the draft.

so you're saying he's got time to improve? that gives his draft stock even more value! If Embiid, Parker, and Exum are off the board by the time the C's pick they should absolutely take him!

there is no player in this draft with a better work ethic and team first mentality than Aaron Gordon. 

I think everyone would agree that all these young guys have plenty of time improve. Whether they will or not is on them. I'm just saying that the kid is one of the youngest in the draft, and is already one of the most explosive, freak athletes out of the lot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

So you cal him a small  forward, but he will be in the middle on offense while our "power forwards" are drifting around the perimeter andon defense he will be in the middle defending the rim against the big guys like he is a center.  Does he stay in at the end of games with the 42% free throws, if he hasn't fouled out.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

So you cal him a small  forward, but he will be in the middle on offense while our "power forwards" are drifting around the perimeter andon defense he will be in the middle defending the rim against the big guys like he is a center.  Does he stay in at the end of games with the 42% free throws, if he hasn't fouled out.

defending the rim doesn't mean you stand under it. nba teams play a majority of man defense, so Gordon will be covering his man. luckily he is good enough to defend 3-4 positions. with intelligence and effort he will also be a great help defender and rim defender. he hasn't attempted a FT in the NBA so we don't know what his FT% will be. 

He should be able to play the 3 and 4 in the NBA, but ideally the 3. He can defend the 3, 4, and sometimes the 2 and 5. That's called versatility, which is a good thing, not bad.

Could Gordan play with Oly and Sullinger guarding the parimeter? They are both pretty slow and if a defensive scheme were to have KO/Sully guarding men 15'-18' from the rim, that might lead to opening up the sea directly to the rim? Not being a jerk her 911, just an observation which might be completely wrong. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Why not this lineup    That would start us on our way back

PG-Rondo 

SG-Bradley

SF-Melo (give up Green, Humphries and 2015 #1, 2017 #1

PF-Sully

C-Embiid (4th pick)

Off the bench - KO, Bass, Wallace and Nick Young (6th man)

We have defense and scoring

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"SF-Melo (give up Green, Humphries and 2015 #1, 2017 #1"

lolol

nice idea.....but not sure why folks think Green is perceived by another team as an asset. He's a liability. And why trade #1 picks for a guy heading into free agency?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Bleacher Report - should be renamed runituptheflagpole.com

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

+1.  Bleacher Report is a pretty amateurish rag.  I remember reading an article on their obviously written by some 20ish snot-nosed kid who obviously only paid attention to the NBA since about 2005 and had no knowledge of the history of the game.  He compiled a list of the most overrated players in NBA history.  It was the lamest list ever - players like Trevor Ariza were listed.   He also listed Kevin McHale.  I can't find the article.  Typical Bleacher Report - they'll have a thousand articles on the same topic with different lists each time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

No thanks.  Much rather trade Rondo to LA or Detroit for their picks in this draft.  OMG, drafting Gordon at 4 or 5????  No thanks.

Agreed...Gordon SUCKS...a 6-8 , 210 pound PF? Not in the NBA! Besides, lack of height is our problem right now....if you're going lower than 6-11, they'd better have extraordinary talent, and Gordon doesn't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

+1 million billion trillion

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to celticelmo's comment:

defending the rim doesn't mean you stand under it. nba teams play a majority of man defense, so Gordon will be covering his man. luckily he is good enough to defend 3-4 positions. with intelligence and effort he will also be a great help defender and rim defender. he hasn't attempted a FT in the NBA so we don't know what his FT% will be. 

He should be able to play the 3 and 4 in the NBA, but ideally the 3. He can defend the 3, 4, and sometimes the 2 and 5. That's called versatility, which is a good thing, not bad.

Could Gordan play with Oly and Sullinger guarding the parimeter? They are both pretty slow and if a defensive scheme were to have KO/Sully guarding men 15'-18' from the rim, that might lead to opening up the sea directly to the rim? Not being a jerk her 911, just an observation which might be completely wrong. 

i honestly have no clue what you're saying. if Oly, Sully, and Gordon were on the court together, Gordon would be playing the 3 and covering the opposing 3. Sully and Oly would play and cover the 4 and 5. the NBA is primarily a man-to-man defensive league. you don't have to be a center or literally stand under the hoop to be a "rim protector". 

Yeah, but you have to be able to be athletic, move fast and JUMP, none of which Sully and KO can do on D....I just can't agree with you on Gordon...with a probable top 5 pick, we HAVE to grab a real and well rounded talent or a true athletic 5, not someone who is a tweener in almost any role he'd be asked to play....we don't need a too small frontcourt player no matter how much they hustle....and we don't need anymore bench players...right now we need talented starters...our talented starters this year got us into the lottery...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

No top 3 pick?  4th pick not a possibility?  What do we do with the 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th pick?

MARCUS SMART = No Brainer for DA.

Smart would have been the best pick last year.  Unlike Gordon and his 1 for 1 million FT shooting, Smart actually warrants a 1st round pick.  He's got the skillset to lock down ANYONE else's starting PG defensively, and after 18 ppg during his freshman and soph seasons, he should become one of the best offensive PGs as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I think sully does the dirty work down low...not as much oly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

It is obvious that Rondo with coming free agency can't exist with Smart at the same time on our team.  If Smart is a no brainer for DA, then he already knows that he does not want Rondo on this team long term.  Otherwise, there might some grey areas on the merit of choosing Smart with our 1st pick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Look at it like this, if we strike out on the top 3 picks, then we're looking at Randle, Gordon, and Smart:

Randle is not as good as Sullinger.  And we don't need Randle anyway.  If we did, we could have simply signed Thomas Robinson.

Gordon is a long way from becoming an NBA starter.  After a full-season devoted to rebuilding, C's fans deserve a player that can step right in and help.  Right now, Gordon can't throw a foul shot into the ocean.  Players like this are too much of a liability to play in close games during the 4th quarter.  And I don't think DA is going to invest his top pick on a project player.

While I think Sully and Green are better than Randle and Gordon, you could argue that Smart is better than Rondo.  (*before I continue, please note that I'm not one of the forum's Wrong-Do haters---I love Rondo).  Smart can do everything, including playing SG.  He's a guy that could play a ton of minutes next year and quickly develop into an all-star.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to scubber's comment:

It is obvious that Rondo with coming free agency can't exist with Smart at the same time on our team.  If Smart is a no brainer for DA, then he already knows that he does not want Rondo on this team long term.  Otherwise, there might some grey areas on the merit of choosing Smart with our 1st pick.

Excellent point ... not so with Exum who could play SG with RR and be much better than AB

Smart's always had the label 'combo guard'.  He's a more capable SG than Exum, and like I've been saying for IONS, he could share the backcourt with Rondo.

Exum as shooting guard doesn't make a lot of sense to me, considering how that he can't shoot, right?  Imagine a backcourt with Rondo and Exum playing at the same time?  Everyone in the front court would be either double-teamed or triple-teamed...it would be an embarrassment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:

Excellent point ... not so with Exum who could play SG with RR and be much better than AB

Smart's always had the label 'combo guard'.  He's a more capable SG than Exum, and like I've been saying for IONS, he could share the backcourt with Rondo.

Exum as shooting guard doesn't make a lot of sense to me, considering how that he can't shoot, right?  Imagine a backcourt with Rondo and Exum playing at the same time?  Everyone in the front court would be either double-teamed or triple-teamed...it would be an embarrassment.

Then there is Bradley, maybe I should have said with Smart, either Rondo or Bradley need to go.  I guess Bradley could come off the bench long term, but would Ainge pay 7M+ for that?  I wonder what will happen first, the draft or the signing of Bradley by someone.  Anyone knows the actual dates involved here?  When does Ainge need to offer make the qualifying offer and when do teams can present offer to Bradley?  The draft date is June 26th.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Then there is Bradley, maybe I should have said with Smart, either Rondo or Bradley need to go.  I guess Bradley could come off the bench long term, but would Ainge pay 7M+ for that?  I wonder what will happen first, the draft or the signing of Bradley by someone.  Anyone knows the actual dates involved here?  When does Ainge need to offer make the qualifying offer and when do teams can present offer to Bradley?  The draft date is June 26th.

I don't think you MUST trade Rondo or AB if you draft Smart.  I mean, Rondo and AB combined to miss about 100 games last season.  Draft Smart, and let him come off the bench for both of them.  That's the benefit of having a good combo guard.

Smart seems destined to, quickly, find his way in the NBA.  Just imagine all those Tommy Points! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

I don't think you MUST trade Rondo or AB if you draft Smart.  I mean, Rondo and AB combined to miss about 100 games last season.  Draft Smart, and let him come off the bench for both of them.  That's the benefit of having a good combo guard.

Smart seems destined to, quickly, find his way in the NBA.  Just imagine all those Tommy Points! 

Yes, talent wise you can have all 3, but salary cap wise, I don't think Ainge will be amendable to it.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts