Boston Celtics - 2012-13 Championship Expectations

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Boston Celtics - 2012-13 Championship Expectations

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?p=10249408

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Yeah that makes sense.

I wouldn't pick the Celtics to win this year.

Obviously Miami, OKC and the Lakers are the favorites.

But it is just as obvious that the Celtics could win it all this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

http://www.betvega.com/odds-to-win-nba-championship/

Wizards 200-1  Who wants that action?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I don't know how many of the analysts picked Dallas two years ago...I'm sure the Lakers got some votes the last two years and they ended up flaming out....I'm sure no one picked the Celtics to make it within 1 road game of making last years Finals...I'm also pretty sure that very few, if any, picked the New York "Football" Giants....and going into September of last year a lot of folks were picking the Sox while I don't remember anyone touting the Cardinals....this is why they play the games....I'm not picking the Celtics either....still it may happen....that's what is so great about sports isn't it...?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Right you are....every year there are the favorites...some times there is a clear cut favorite that, for whatever reason, just cannot fulfill expectations....both the Celtics and the Lakers have been through it more than once....sometimes there are the pleasant surprises....an, on occasion, there are the teams that seemingly come out of nowhere...each season is unique in it's own way....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Duke: YOu were making noises a while back suggesting that you weren't completely sure that the league was on the up and up.

There was considerable Stern-bashing going on at the time. The Heat had just taken the ring and the  2012 draft was ramping up. A lot of disappointment going on at BDC.

How confident are you in the integrity of the NBA?

Pud

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerstroll. Show Lakerstroll's posts

In response to Duke4 comment:

I don't know how many of the analysts picked Dallas two years ago...I'm sure the Lakers got some votes the last two years and they ended up flaming out....I'm sure no one picked the Celtics to make it within 1 road game of making last years Finals...I'm also pretty sure that very few, if any, picked the New York "Football" Giants....and going into September of last year a lot of folks were picking the Sox while I don't remember anyone touting the Cardinals....this is why they play the games....I'm not picking the Celtics either....still it may happen....that's what is so great about sports isn't it...?

Within 1 game of making the Finals? The Celtics have blown 3 consecutive series needing just one game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

you're right....and it happens.....that's why they play the games.....I find myself most disappointed when I feel the Celtics are the favorite but doesn't quite make it...that happened in 1973 when the Celtics were 68-14 (not only the best record in the league but the Celts' best all time)....Havlicek got hurt in the Eastern Conference Finals against the Knicks, who went on to beat the Lakers...that might have been the most disappointed I've been in watching the Celtics lose (although the loss to the Lakers on 2010 is right up there)

sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised as in 1988 when the Dodgers (my team) beat Oakland...no way was Los Angeles better that year....but Gibson hit that home run and Hershiser stayed hot and they surprised everyone....

I was disappointed last year as well....after seeing how Miami handled OKC, I felt the Celtics missed a real opportunity....

I was as disappointed as I've ever been when the Rams (my team) were upset (shocked actually) by the Patriots....another bitter loss

so I've learned to take the good times with the bad.......such is life as a fan...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Pud, I won't question the integrity of the league.....I just hate the way the game is officiated these days....they might as well throw out the rule book...."the Jordan rules" have changed the game and not for the better as far as I'm concerned...but it's no different in MLB....the idea that each umpire is allowed to have his own strike zone is baffling....as is the "phantom double play" where the shortstop catches the ball after running past second base and the umps give him the call....when did this stuff start happening?  ....and why has it been allowed to progress?....that is what really bothers me....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to Lakerstroll's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Duke4 comment:

Within 1 game of making the Finals? The Celtics have blown 3 consecutive series needing just one game.

[/QUOTE]

That would mean they've lost in the first round 3 years in a row..........not what you mean???  Look, if you demand people lay off the lakers, then you need to lay off the Celtics.  And you need to stop ruining every thread by bringing the lakers into it.  It's a two way stree - and you don't make the rules, or play by them, apparently!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Duke:

I agree that the NBA refs have a bit too much discretion and seem to be able to put their own personal marks on the games that they work... but players do a good job of adapting to how the game is be called.

Consistency and oversight I sometimes wonder about.. but the notion that refs are under pressure to "do the bidding of the league" as thought they are part of a grand fix....!!!???

Games do get officiated very differently for sure but I recoil at the notion that the motives are sinister. Refs do have their quirks, just as the umpires do behind the plate with strikezones. But again players do adapt quickly to these quirks instead of the other way around.

I wonder about the possibilities of computers being used to help with balls/strikes.  Technically speaking, that shouldn't be all that difficult. K-Zone technology is 10 years old and seems to work better than the umps.

Umpire's union might have something to say... but these guys catch a whole lot of grief w/o any extra pay.

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

agree Pud....notice, I never said anything about refs being under pressure by the league....I personally do think that guys like Joey Crawford and a few others think that they are a huge part of the show......just like Ken Kaiser (a guy I happen to have dealt with one on one back in the day) thought that he was...these guys need to be invisible to be effective....but they just can't seem to do it... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Duke:

Crawford IS a huge part of the show. Somehow that doesn't bother me... that he is such a character. At least he is an affable character. But they aren't in anybody's pocket as some here believe.  Not you.

AG with a walk off double tonight and Beckett last night pitching well. There's still time to make a run and catch the Giants.

Pud

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"You do make a good point about having to play the games and some teams that won the championship but were not expected to win."

Gee Tommy that's an incisive take - glad you are here to really lay it out for us like that. 

p.s. not at all surprising the Celtics are not getting picked to win it all. That's ok. We'll see how the season plays out. 

"Consistency and oversight I sometimes wonder about.. but the notion that refs are under pressure to "do the bidding of the league" as thought they are part of a grand fix....!!!??? "

A refreshing and reasonable take, wish you would post on other topics more as you bring good stuff when you aren't caught up in your crusade. I won't mention the player's name since you didn't...

I totally agree, most folks here don't realize there is a difference between home cooking, bad officiating, and a total conspiracy to throw games and outcomes. I do think the NBA prefers a long series for ratings reasons in the playoffs, but home-biased officials do their part there. 

Otherwise if the NBA could control this stuff, Lebron would have won a long time ago, Dirk certainly wouldn't have beaten him and ratings-challenged San Antonio wouldn't have had as much success either....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Home teams win in the NBA - been going on since the seventies

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Pud...you are so right about Joey....he is a character......my favorite was always Mendy Rudolph....he and Red had some great "discussions" back in the day.....

Dodgers now one game behind in the loss column for the Wild Card.....so disappointed in the Sox but they will be back...

I am glad that I am such a "fanatic"......my wife, on the other hand, just shakes her head when I tell her that the Celts, Sox, Dodgers, or Rams have a great shot at a title....when one of my teams is in the playoffs....she tends to find something else to do when the games are on.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Duke:

The Sox will be back. Give them a couple of years to pull things together.

A smart wife realizes that she can't compete with the mistress we fell in love with when we first heard the crack of that bat... and saw the ball  explode over the left field fence  still rising.

So they learn to take the good with the not so good and realize that their lives are easier when our teams are making us proud.... giving us hope for another title. Otherwise, things can be awfully grim!

The Bums need to overtake the Giants, going into the PO's in high gear.

Mendy and Red were part of the show. People paid good money to watch them spark at each other.

From Wikipedia:

"Rudolph and Strom officiated another notable game in the 1964 NBA Finals. [18] In Game 5 of the championship series, Wilt Chamberlain, playing for the San Francisco Warriors, knocked out Clyde Lovellette of the Boston Celtics with a punch. [4] Celtics head coach Red Auerbach stormed onto the court and demanded that Chamberlain be thrown out of the game. [4] The latter told Auerbach if he did not "shut up", he would be knocked down to the floor with Lovellette. [4] Auerbach countered the threat, "Why don't you pick on somebody your own size." Rudolph intervened the discussion and told Auerbach, "Red, do you have any other seven-footers who'd like to volunteer?" "

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

great post Pud....you nailed it.....also great story....I have a DVD of the Celts/Warriors Finals....nice to see it on the tube....as a kid I had to catch most of the games on the radio....first ever prime time playoff game was in 1969...I think it was a Friday night (my car broke down and I had to hitch a ride in order to get home in time for the start)....Celtics/Knicks....I still have an old SI with a picture of Russ on the cover driving to the basket....Sam had announced his retirement and the title of the story was "Boston's old guard".......'69 was such a great year as Russ went out a winner...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Two other "Wilt" stories here, men.

1.  Red DID have someone stand up for him one time - a Mr. Bill Russell.  Red and Wilt really did not like each other, and one time Red told him to "pick on someone his own size".  Wilt made a move toward the bench, Russ grabbed a chair and said, "if you want him, you have to go through me first....."  Wilt turned and walked away.

2.  I have no documentation of this, but.........my friends uncle used to be an NBA ref...back in the days you were referring to.  The NBA needed its' superstars.  Well, Wilt was giving this guy a really hard time, and he tossed him (it was an exhibition game - now known as pre-season).  The NEXT day, he was called into the NBA office and was told - "this guy is NOT to be thrown out of any games, and if he is, you will be fired."  I heard it from the guy himself, so I have no reason to doubt it.

Great times...........just different!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

good stuff Red....seems like just yesterday......which is why I enjoy being the age that I am....as a fan, I remember all of the good times growing up....and I still enjoy rooting for the home team...I am every bit as passionate as I ever was...I guess sometimes that's not such a good thing....but as" Popeye the sailer man" said...."I yam what I yam".......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Passion is always a good thing. It keeps us alive and kicking... against all the odds.

I can't imagine Red feeling anything but hatred toward Wilt. I can't imagine any Celtic fan feeling anything but hatred toward Wilt. I never appreciated his game. Maybe there was something there but Wilt the person was a totally disgusting individual. I never saw beyond that.

Me and the 10,000 "broads" he bragged later in life that he bedded. That averages out to... lets see.... over a 30 year span... a new pick-up per night, every night including game night.... UGH!

Big man... small weanie syndrome??

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts