Boston Celtics rumors 2013: 'I don't think Paul Pierce believes he'll return!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Boston Celtics rumors 2013: 'I don't think Paul Pierce believes he'll return!

Boston Celtics rumors 2013: 'I don't think Paul Pierce believes' he'll return, says Greg Dickerson, who also speculates about Kevin Garnett

PAUL_PIERCE_GAME_6.JPG
    Boston Celtics small forward Paul Pierce (34) heads to the bench during the second half in Game 6 of their first-round NBA basketball playoff series against the New York Knicks in Boston, Friday, May 3, 2013. The Knicks won 88-80, eliminating the Celtics from the playoffs. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)
    Jay King, MassLive.comBy Jay King, MassLive.com 
    Follow on Twitter 
    on May 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Email

Those close to Paul Pierce believe he will not return to the Boston Celtics next season, according to CSNNE sideline reporter Greg Dickerson – and Pierce might think his days in green are done, as well.

"I don't think they will (bring Pierce back)," Dickersonsaid Sunday on CSNNE. "And I know that the company that Paul Pierce hangs around in, they do not believe – and I don't think Paul Pierce believes – that he is going to be brought back next year at $15 million. I know for a fact that people around Paul Pierce have pretty much resigned themselves to the fact that he's played his final game in a Boston Celtics uniform. Again, Paul wants to stay – obviously for $15 million, but he wants to finish his career in a Celtics uniform."

The lone year remaining on Pierce's contract can be bought out for $5 million. Asked whether he believes the Celtics will trade Pierce or buy him out, Dickerson said: "One way or the other. Probably a buyout. More than likely a buyout."

If Pierce does not return, Kevin Garnett has indicated he won't want to either.

"If Paul's gone, I think without a doubt Kevin Garnett is gone – either by retirement or he finally decides to waive his no-trade clause, and the Celtics maybe work something out with a (Los Angeles Clippers) team," said Dickerson. "But the list is real short; the teams that Kevin Garnett would go to, there might be two of them on it, and they both might be the Clippers and (Los Angeles) Lakers."

Dickerson also dismissed any reports that head coach Doc Rivers could leave Boston for another team. As he does annually, Rivers – who has three years left on his contract – said he needed time to clear his head before deciding whether to return next season. In the meantime, his name has been associated with other openings.

The Brooklyn Nets are reportedly expected to ask for permission to speak to Rivers as they look for a P.J. Carlesimo replacement, and a seemingly far-fetched rumor started by Stephen A. Smith claimed the Clippers could also look to acquire Rivers – but Dickerson said not to worry about any potential poaching.

"Forget about the Brooklyn rumors, forget about the Clippers rumors or whatever other teams out there need a head coach," said Dickerson. "Doc Rivers will not – repeat, will not – coach somewhere else next season unless it's the Boston Celtics. Period, end of topic."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Boston Celtics rumors 2013: 'I don't think Paul Pierce believes he'll return!

Is this the first domino, in a long chain of dominos, about to fall!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Boston Celtics rumors 2013: 'I don't think Paul Pierce believes he'll return!

Assessing the Legacy of Paul Pierce as a Boston Celtic The Truth's Legacy? Yahoo! Contributor Network   By Mark Evans | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 5 hours ago RELATED CONTENT  

COMMENTARY | In his 15 years with the team, Paul Pierce has been through it all with the Boston Celtics. After being drafted with the 10th overall pick out of the University of Kansas, Pierce has spent his entire career with the same team, a feat rarely accomplished in the free agency era.

Following a 2012-2013 season where the Celtics were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round by the New York Knicks, it looks as if a rebuilding era is on the horizon. This group clearly doesn't have the championship potential, especially considering Pierce andKevin Garnett aren't getting any younger. This has been a possibility for the past few years, but has never appeared as imminent as it does now.

If rebuilding is the path that Danny Ainge selects, it appears that the writing is on the wall for Pierce to finally leave town, either via trade, release, or retirement. At 35 years of age, he understandably will not be looking to end his career on a team playing for the future. A betting man would feel confident that Paul Pierce may have played his last game in Celtic green.

If this is the end of Paul Pierce in Boston, what will his legacy as a Celtic be?

Pierce will forever be remembered as one of the better players of his generation. He is not in the league of Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, or probably even Kevin Garnett. He'll be considered one of the players at the top of the second tier of his generation, as a scorer who was never dominant but always extremely productive and feared.

Boston fans will appreciate how Paul Pierce stayed tough through some of the losing years, and how he was able to wait until his later years to be part of a serious championship contender. They will remember how a player who was known for his sometimes selfish offensive ways unselfishly shared the spotlight with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen 2007-2008 to immediately mesh and win a championship over the rival Los Angeles Lakers.

Playing for such a storied franchise certainly has its benefits, but it also comes with drawbacks. Paul Pierce will never be remembered in the league of Boston legends such as Larry Bird, Bill Russell, etc. For many franchises, Paul Pierce would be remembered as a legend after his 15 year body of work. For Boston, however, he'll be in the "very good but not quite great" league.

As one of the best scorers of his generation, Pierce grew his game admirably as he aged. He became a better defender, a more capable facilitator, and a much more impressive all-around player over the past few years.

If this is indeed the end of the Paul Pierce era in Boston, he will forever be remembered by Celtics fans as one of the better players of his generation. While he is not at the legendary level of some Celtics before him, his legacy in Boston is cemented by the 15 years of constant production and championship ring that he helped bring to town.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I think there is a better change of Kg returning to the Celtics, than Pierce next season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I honestly thought he looked distracted most of the series...lots of trade rumors going on..He just did not look like the OLd Pierce...He still has game for two more years..We should have trade him...and gotten a pick or young star...too bad..

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from darkman20. Show darkman20's posts

He's always wanted to be a Laker.  Maybe finish his career in his town.  But it's definitely time for Pierce to go, he no longer can carry a team offensiviely.   It would do both him, and the Celtics, good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from darkman20. Show darkman20's posts

In response to darkman20's comment:

He's always wanted to be a Laker.  Maybe finish his career in his town.  But it's definitely time for Pierce to go, he no longer can carry a team offensiviely.   It would do both him, and the Celtics, good.

I mean look at Pierce, his defense is pathetic now:

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

I don't think he will return either.  And with no PP, no KG.

And I might add, no playoff's for C's next year.

Byebye 7th or 8th seed (not that I'll miss you).

Still don't like RA's going to Miami, but in retrospect, he made the smart move.  Playing with younger superstars vs older ones.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The end of an era may be upon us! PP has certainly been a great Celtic! 

I rather see KG traded to the Clips for a deal that includes Bledsoe. This would give the Cs options moving forward at the PG position, and likely shave a year or two off of the rebuild process!

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

The Celts can also try to do a sign and trade involving Pierce. But that would mean the Celtics must not waive Pierce on or before June 30.

There's talk about trying to do that Josh Smith for Pierce deal again this summer.

You guys like the lineup below?

C - Al Jefferson

PF - Josh Smith/Sully

SF - Jeff Green

SG - Bradley(if he doesn't get traded)

PG - Rondo/T-Will

The rest are expendable.

To your point, DA has more options this summer than people think! 

RR playing together with J. Smith and JG! Lob-City Baby!!! 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

The Celts can also try to do a sign and trade involving Pierce. But that would mean the Celtics must not waive Pierce on or before June 30.

There's talk about trying to do that Josh Smith for Pierce deal again this summer.

C - Al Jefferson

PF - Josh Smith/Sully

SF - Jeff Green

PG - Rondo/T-Will

The rest are expendable.

No

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Like I said, the window is shut. Time to move on.

I hope KG is true to his word, that if Pierce is not a Celtic, he will retire.

I will make you a bet.  If both KG and PP return to the Celtics  you leave the board.  If neither return I leave the board. This is a one year bet.  NONE of that flushing out business either.

We have a deal??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to breaktime's comment:

I don't think he will return either.  And with no PP, no KG.

And I might add, no playoff's for C's next year.

Byebye 7th or 8th seed (not that I'll miss you).

Still don't like RA's going to Miami, but in retrospect, he made the smart move.  Playing with younger superstars vs older ones.

Hey look at the bright side.  Many here think Rondo is a superstar and Jeff Green will more than take over for Paul Pierce.  Boys this could get ugly.  Oh the days of Raef returning to Boston.  Ugh

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

C - Al Jefferson

PF - Josh Smith/Sully

SF - Jeff Green

PG - Rondo/T-Will

The rest are expendable.

how does it get done?

I got Smith for Pierce in a trade (Smith sign and trade?)

How do we get Jefferson?

has to be a sign and trade, right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

we need a 2-guard who can shoot to open things up. we cannot start rondo and bradley in the backcourt together. defenses will collapse on KG, sully, jefferson, whoever because neither rondo nor bradley is a real outside threat. someone like a reddick or the like is needed at the 2. if we can move PP, KG and terry, we could have a nice young core to play with with the addition of a jefferson, a reddick, or similar players. a bench of bass, lee, melo, randolph is not a bad start. and don't forget that crawford is still hanging around. he's like a taller nate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Al Jefferson is an advertisement for the pre-2007 Celtics.  I don't want him.  The Celtics will be mediorcre with or without him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregCelts. Show GregCelts's posts

It sux big time.  Paul deserves to retire a Celtic.  I am sure he would sign a cheap 2 year contract next summer to finish his career as a 6th man. 

I am ok with waiving him if the plan is to get superstars in the making, but I just don't see it this summer. I don't want Big Al, Josh Smith, and all the Clippers role players...they don't have what it takes to carry a team offensively.  Wait another year for a better free-agent market or rebuild thru the draft. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts