Boston Celtics Rumors: Will The Phoenix Suns Trade Marcin Gortat To Beantown?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

By Jason Van Hoven - Posted: 11/20/12 05:57PM EST   Marcin Gortat

Gortat (R) could be a good fit for the Celtics' frontline. (Photo: Reuters)

Is a Boston Celtics trade for Phoenix Suns center Marcin Gortat on the horizon?

Consider it so if the recently-signed Darko Milicic ends up leaving the team to go back to Europe to tend to his ailing mother. Should that be the case, the Celtics will be without a true center on their roster to backup forward-turned-center Kevin Garnett.

In an interview with the Polish web site Przeglad Sportowy, translated into English by NBA blogger Adam Koscielak at Gothic Ginobili, Gortat expressed his frustration with Suns coach Alvin Gentry and the team as a whole:

"I've been doing the dirty work all my life, and now I have to come back to that," Gortat said. "I will fight for what's mine. I'll try to prove to the coach that I can play an important role in the offense. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm even an option for Gentry. He doesn't even take me into consideration. The situation is critical. We're playing the same thing we've been playing last year, but the truth is we have a completely different set of players. I don't think it really works. I can't get frustrated now though, I have to stay positive."

Przeglad Sportowy also reported that Gortat recently rejected a contract extension from the Suns and that, besides the Celtics, the Orlando Magic, Dallas Mavericks and Chicago Bulls are interested in trading for him.

Since his first game in Phoenix, Gortat has proven that he could be a starter. After the '10-'11 season, he averaged 13.0 points, 9.3 rebounds and 1.3 blocks. The season after, he averaged, 15.4 points, 10.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocks.

But, this season has been a different story. Since recording 12 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks in the Suns' 107-105 comeback win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Nov. 9, Gortat has been practically been a ghost, specifically against the Miami Heat on Saturday when he played a season-low 23 minutes. Judging by the quotes he gave in the aforementioned interview, he has most likely reached the tipping point in his frustration with Phoenix's system.

The fact that Steve Nash is no longer around to help Gortat flourish may also be a reason in his production decline. Add the fact that Phoenix isn't really a pick-and-roll team with great shooters, and one can see why Gortat might eventually leave.

With the Celtics, Gortat would have the pleasure of playing with the pass-first Rajon Rondo, which would most likely elevate his numbers back to what they were the previous two seasons. This year, Goran Dragic is an above-average passer, but not as skilled as Rondo to run the pick-and-roll. With Dragic, Gortat's scoring has dipped by four points per game and he is not as much of an inside presence on the offensive side of the ball.

Luckily, the Celtics can use both his offense and defense as they rank 17th and 18th in points per game and points allowed per game, respectively. Gortat's inside, offensive ability is proven. He's also blocking a career high three shots per game this season (nearly double what it was last year).

So now, the question is how can the Celtics pull off a trade for Gortat?

It will be hard. The Celtics don't have many players they would want to trade with contracts that match Gortat's $7 million salary. Those players have too large of contracts, are newly-signed or have just been recently acquired.

With that said, getting Gortat would most likely require giving up Jared Sullinger, given the number of big men the Celtics have.

Celtics GM Danny Ainge has always been creative in manufacturing trades, but he will have to work within the confines of the new collective bargaining agreement If he is able to do that on scrap paper beforehand, then look for this trade to happen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Boston Celtics Rumors: Will The Phoenix Suns Trade Marcin Gortat To Beantown?

Where there is smoke there may be fire! Gortat would flourish with the C's / Rondo & KG!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Boston Celtics Rumors: Will The Phoenix Suns Trade Marcin Gortat To Beantown?

Gortat would be huge for this team, another solid big is the missing piece.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I wonder who DA will offer up, if he does decide to pull the trigger?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I would do it.....I've always liked his combination of skills & toughness....finally a replacement for Perk..?  ....c'mon Danny do it.....although this just could be wishfull thinking....I do hope it isn't Sully or Green though....I do like their skills as well...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I am guessing he would be a huge crowd favorite!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Celtics Talk TV: C's considering making moves

CSNNE's Kyle Draper and CSNNE.com Celtics Insider A. Sherrod Blakely are back this week for another round of Celtics Talk TV.

First on the docket: It's only November, but already trade chatter is sprouting up around the league. And you know that wherever there's trade chatter, Danny Ainge is probably involved. The latest involves Suns center Marcin Gortat, unhappy with his current role on the Suns. Is there a place for him in Boston?

Speaking of a role, Jeff Green looks like he's still searching for his. Aside from a couple flashes (and one major dunk) Green has been "lackadaisical" -- his words -- this year. What does Blakely think about that?

That's not all, the two discuss much more in #HashItOut, so #CheckItOut in the video!

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Celtics-Talk-TV-Cs-considering-making-mo?blockID=804425&feedID=3945

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

There's no way that Ainge would trade for Gortat - runrunrun has explained this, and his analysis is always 100 correct and free from bias.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Gortat is an exceptional shot blocker along with a real inside game.  Sounds tough to, this could be a  real game changer for the Celtics.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

He would compliment KG's game perfectly!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Current salaries. There are a few combinations that work.

Player 2012/13         Paul Pierce $16,790,345         Kevin Garnett $12,467,532         Rajon Rondo $11,000,000         Jeff Green $8,385,000         Brandon Bass $6,500,000         Courtney Lee $5,000,000         Jason Terry $5,000,000         Avery Bradley $1,630,800         Jason Collins $1,352,181         Keyon Dooling $1,352,181         Chris Wilcox $1,352,181         Jared Sullinger $1,306,920         Fab Melo $1,254,720         Leandro Barbosa $1,229,255         Kris Joseph $473,604

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BloggetyBloop's comment:

Hahaha!!!

Now Gortat is the new Celtics savior.....

ROTFLMAO!!!

Have a very blessed night!

Question: is it true Orlando let Gortat go because he was beating DH senseless in practice?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Hahaha!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!

Not again Dwight!! Is this what they call de ja vu?

At least he will be healthy for the Mavericks training camp next season!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivanc. Show kivanc's posts

Green, Lee, Sullinger for Gortat, Dudley and Telfair seems like it would work salarywise (though I'm not 100% sure).

Dudley would give us a decent backup for Pierce. Telfair is filler. I would do that in a heartbeat come January. I hope Green will make me change my mind and regret for this proposal.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

In response to The BIG TICKET's comment:

In response to kivanc's comment:

Green, Lee, Sullinger for Gortat, Dudley and Telfair seems like it would work salarywise (though I'm not 100% sure).

Dudley would give us a decent backup for Pierce. Telfair is filler. I would do that in a heartbeat come January. I hope Green will make me change my mind and regret for this proposal.

do u really think that ainge will involve green with this trade??

Bass + Bradley and Milicic

for

Gortat + picks 

Do you really think the Suns would want these players?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

Jeff Green can't be traded until Jan. 15, 2013.

If the Celts do the deal in December, then it's Lee, Melo, maybe Collins and draft picks for Gortat. That's the only deal the Celts can do in December.

Maybe the Suns would ask for Bradley or Sully, but the Suns are loaded with small PFs and combo guards. 

The Suns would not really want Lee, it's Melo and the draft picks that they would want.

Remember, they got 4 draft picks from the Lakers for Nash.

I am hoping you are right, but think it will take much more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to dirty52's comment:

In response to The BIG TICKET's comment:

In response to kivanc's comment:

do u really think that ainge will involve green with this trade??

Bass + Bradley and Milicic

for

Gortat + picks 

Do you really think the Suns would want these players?

Avery Bradley?  Yeah they would want him.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

2 words: Kenyin Martin. F**C Gortat. Do not trade ANYONE for him or his ugly contract. K Mart will play for the vet min. and can play at an all star/high level for 10-15 minutes a game. Plays with an EDGE, solid defender, and actually has offesive skills. Don't have to trade anyone for him, will play for the vet min(Milici's contract basically). Do it and end the talk on Gortat..........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Hahaha!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!

Question: is it true Orlando let Gortat go because he was beating DH senseless in practice?

Doubtful, but if it was true, then I would think that every NBA GM would have been after Gortat, but not many were after him, probably because he is just mediocre. Maybe that's why Danny is salivating over him as he seems to love mediocre players which was made evident this past offseason. Good luck anyways my friend!

Have a very blessed day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5QSlLIOkuA&feature=related

Sections
Shortcuts