Boston coughed up a victory and Doc outcoached himself

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Boston coughed up a victory and Doc outcoached himself

Wow. Tough loss to take. What happened to J.O.? And our last play before O.T. was awful. Too bad for the Cs. Do they have another win left in the tank to bring it back to Boston? We shall see. I just hate the smuggness. Don't mind the loss, but the smuggness.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn313. Show rpn313's posts

Re: Boston coughed up a victory and Doc outcoached himself

You knew the C's had to win it right there at end of regulation because they would have nothing left for OT.  Rondo's missed layup towards the end was huge. 

Why couldn't JO come back in during OT? 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

the isolation with pierce doesn"t work.  just run your offense and see who gets open.  Even when Bird was playing they would still run their offense.

How does pierce going against the best defender in the NBA work?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Rondo is usually good for 6-10 rebound but nothing doing with  one arm. If only Danny had the foresight to get someone who averaged 10 rebounds/game this one might have been different. Oh yeah, he did, Murphy. But Doc won't play Murphy because he's an APT guy (after the Perk trade) player; and Doc is stictly an old school BPT kinda guy.  Rather play a one armed guy and get killed on the boards than one of those APT guys that Danny brought in to sure up the team....

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn313. Show rpn313's posts

Is there a reason why Wafer can't get in the game instead of BB?  Even for a few minutes? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In Response to Re: Boston coughed up a victory and Doc outcoached himself:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston coughed up a victory and Doc outcoached himself : It was supposed to be a brush screen play with Pierce and KG. The play that Doc drew up was not an iso play.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

I kind of hope that Doc wasn't drawing a bunch of pictures for no reason - but with 13 seconds left pierce got the ball and it became an iso play.  Everyone cleared out and he went one v one with LeBron.

I have to think there were 4 better options than that.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Is there a reason why Wafer can't get in the game instead of BB?  Even for a few minutes? 
    Posted by rpn313[/QUOTE]

Silly post.  Wafer is a guard and BBD is a power forward.  You really think Wafer cold play d and rebound where we needed it?  This has NOTHING to do with our loss.  BBD played good D and rebounded, but the overall team missed shots and let Miami get critical rebounds in the end (like Bosh's tap in when Davis wasn't even on the floor - Green was on the floor).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston coughed up a victory and Doc outcoached himself : It was supposed to be a brush screen play but KG and Ray got mixed up. The play was similar to what they did against the Knicks last November when Pierce hit the game winner over Amare. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just watched it again.  Allen and Garnett screwed it up.

I wish Pierce had called another time out with 6 seconds left - but you can't blame him for going for it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

not to be singular about this. but KG with 1-10 and then letting bosh out of the barn late to score a bunch of points.  this game starts and stops right there.  we had this game well in hand in the 3rd quarter and then suddenly we couldn't score.  from that point on, KG shot what- 2 free throws? 

the problem is that our best low post guy WASN"T TRYING TO SCORE against wimp bosh and/or midget anthony.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Boston coughed up a victory and Doc outcoached himself:
    [QUOTE]Wow. Tough loss to take. What happened to J.O.? And our last play before O.T. was awful. Too bad for the Cs. Do they have another win left in the tank to bring it back to Boston? We shall see. I just hate the smuggness. Don't mind the loss, but the smuggness.....
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

I'll admit it, love the Bruins, despise the Celtics.  18.2 and Doc is drawing up plays like there's no tomorrow.  Meanwhile the Heat is on the court and did anyone catch Wade tallking to Lebron and if you can read lips it looked like, F these you know what.  Lol.  What was Doc's set play at the top of the key, a slick side shuffle move from Soul Train?   Wade and James put it end to that dance and more or less a desperation shot was the only option.  Not saying the Celts are dead but they are definitely on life support now. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

He was out on his feet and the coach showed no mercy, how do you think Rondo feels now after swallowing 5 advils and his arm is still throbbing...all that pain (Rondo) and exhaustion (KG) for a coach who won't put in a fresh body for 3 minutes to give you a breather cause he's too pissed at Danny for trading Perk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]He was out on his feet and the coach showed no mercy, how do you think Rondo feels now after swallowing 5 advils and his arm is still throbbing...all that pain (Rondo) and exhaustion (KG) for a coach who won't put in a fresh body for 3 minutes to give you a breather cause he's too pissed at Danny for trading Perk.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

Another post that's emotional and not based on facts.  Rondo got plenty of rests.  He played only 38 minutes of an overtime game.  West played 30 minutes.  By definition - Rondo was getting plenty of rest. 

Please fellow Celts fans - let's stop the blame game on Danny, Doc, refs, and other irrelevant folks.  We lost because our team did not execute down the stretch and the heat did execute.  The Heat hit critical shots and we missed all the critical shots.  As Pop says - its not a complicated game.....the team that hits the most shots, has the fewest turnovers, and gets the most rebounds  usually wins!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Why was kg guarding lebreeney at the top of the key?? Then bosh gets the tip..that hurt, rondo missed layup..ouch..Allen cant hit the side of the barn..yikes.and then the final play in regulation..uncharacteristic of this team..Miami kept giving it up, but we kept giving it back..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

Stick a fork in 'em. They're done!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston coughed up a victory and Doc outcoached himself : Another post that's emotional and not based on facts.  Rondo got plenty of rests.  He played only 38 minutes of an overtime game.  West played 30 minutes.  By definition - Rondo was getting plenty of rest.  Please fellow Celts fans - let's stop the blame game on Danny, Doc, refs, and other irrelevant folks.  We lost because our team did not execute down the stretch and the heat did execute.  The Heat hit critical shots and we missed all the critical shots.  As Pop says - its not a complicated game.....the team that hits the most shots, has the fewest turnovers, and gets the most rebounds  usually wins!!!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    I am emotional, true, but that does not have to interfere with rational thought as well, interesting species we are...I was referring to KG as being exhausted, I think that's not an emotional assessment, however, feel free to disagree. IMO KG needed much more rest than he got. Rondo needed to not be playing towards the end because he stopped being aggressive and started making a lot of turnovers (notice Doc subbed him at the end of the game on offensive plays; as the song goes, I second that emotion).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

A 13 point 4th quarter ???? Outrebounded 45 to 28 ???

I have no idea what that "play" was at the end of regulation. They'd have done better to go wide 4 corners and let PP solo in the middle. What was that mess???

As we have seen, this Miami team is very beatable. We had them tonight.

Now, we're in the coffin, talking to the angels. Can we climb out?

Yes, but not if these guys have to play 40 plus minutes. Don't blame the players. They played their guts out. This was Grady staying with Pedro.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

KG was for sure fatigued because he is old and didn't have the benefit of multiple off days again but most of his 9 misses were outside the paint.

I just don't understand why they went back to the perimeter offense and didn't work inside-out like they did so well in game 3. You heard the ATL coaches, players, and fans force Josh Smith to stay inside during the Hawks win over the Bulls and I think KG should've been given the same direction.

That said, I got to blame Doc only because I believe he took ownership of the poor offensive execution during the losses Miami. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomic. Show atomic's posts

[QUOTE]Stick a fork in 'em. They're done!
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

didn't go out like chumps though, if you catch my drift, qduddy. 

now back to your 'shirley temple and hangin' with the fam just lovin' life' despite your purple and gold humiliating themselves yesterday. you have no shame and a total lack of understanding of how badly you embarrassed yourself with that post last night. that is a tool staring back at you in the mirror.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Look Doc did not try anything new with other players the whole series.  We don't know what goes on in practice but to not use any of these guys when the offense is so flat gave us little chance to win and ended up exhausting our starters.

They have played way too many minutes.  A young team like Miami has us playing into their hands by playing so many minutes.  Not using Wafer, Kristic or even Murphy or Pavlovic made Danny's moves seem even more poor decision wise. Not one of his trades panned out.

This team even if it went to the next round is physically extended to a point they can't function to full ability.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

A total of 3 offensive rebounds is just plain lazy.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

[QUOTE]A total of 3 offensive rebounds is just plain lazy.  
    Posted by chuchos[/QUOTE]
    They are forbidden from crashing the boards. Gotta get back on D. Even in crunch time when your opponent is walking the ball up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

There are lots of issues one can always find with a close NBA game. But the facts are that the C's had the Heat right where they wanted them with 17 clicks left on the clock. Tie game and inbounding the ball to the half court.

Critiquing Doc over that last play is crazy, first of all because he is recognized as the best at plays coming out of time outs. You all have seen enough C games I think to know what the play was supposed to function as.

Rondo inbounds and does not touch the ball again to put the 2 minute "hack-a-Shaq" rule into affect. Ball goes to Pierce above the key to the left.

Garnett and Allen bunch to the top right. Garnett sets a pick that either picks off Rays defender or Paul's. If Paul is open, he is going to his sweet spot to the right, he takes a mid range jumper or goes to the hole if the defense over committed.

Ray heads to an opening to right. If Paul is covered he kicks to Ray. If Ray is covered, KG will now be open at the top of the key. Assuming the ball goes into motion at about 9 seconds there is enough time to fiind second options off of Paul's pass if necessary.

Instead what happens when you watch the replay is KG picks Ray Allen not once but twice. Paul waits and waits for the pick/screen that never develops and sees there are 3 plus ticks on the clock and nobody is where they are supposed to be. He drives slightly to his right and has to take a 22 foot fade away jumper to beat the buzzer.

Doc made the right call, the players failed to execute, a rare mental lapse for this group. It was why Pierce looked so perplexed after the shot and asked 'What was that?" And why Doc's first comment in the presser was that "we" left Paul out on an island on that last play because "we" did not execute.

Garnett only played 41 minutes including overtime. If that was too much in a must win playoff game then guess what? The C's are too old and maybe they are. But I chock it up to a rare mental lapse probably caused by KG's very competitive nature and how heavily his off night already was weighing on him. 

But after all these guys have given us, from Rondo playing with a dislocated elbow, to DWest with a bad shoulder and Pierce with micro tears in his Achilles and the rest of the guys no doubt nicked up these guys deserve our support even in defeat.

Just my take

Sections
Shortcuts