Boston - Indiana Game Thread!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Re: Boston - Indiana Game Thread!

If Pressey makes the roster you know you have a bad team.  So far Young has impressed me more than Smart.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

If Pressey makes the roster you know you have a bad team.  So far Young has impressed me more than Smart.

HAHAHA

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Iverson isn't the answer, but we knew that.  Smart pressed too much today, took some bad shots and missed some good shots.  Pressey looked good as usual with Smart playing off guard almost exclusively. Olynyk had an amazing first half and looked flat the 2nd half.  Moser is nothing but solid in every facet of the game, he was banging inside today as well as draining threes.  Babb and Johnson were non factors, Bertrand was terrible.  All in all the Celtics were the better team in the first half and horrid in the 2nd.

Olynyk shot 38%, Iverson shot 00%. Their Pacer counterparts, Jones and Reed, shot 63%. There is nothing amazing about that.

Pressey did not look good. Minus 24 for the game, 3 turnovers to 2 assists, and 41% shooting is not good.

Bertrans was not terrible. He just did not shoot 80% like he did in the first game. He shot 1-2.

Moser was indeed effective on the offensive end, but he had something to do with defending the Pacer front court.

And today's effort from Smart, 3 for 15, 3 rebounds, 3 shots blocked, did not show sure-fire NBA game.

I like the IQ of Olynyk, the purported toughness of Iverson, the promise of Smart, and the chutzpa of Pressey, Johnson and Babb as much as the next guy,but at the end of the day, you have to have NBA game to succeed in the NBA.

And you can't just put onto an NBA floor an undersized, hustling, smart, good passing, hard-working bunch of good guys and expect to win.

Sometimes I suspect that Danny is one of those guys that thinks he's just a bit smarter than the field, that he "knows something no one else knows" about players - like, Giddens, Walker, Melo, J. Johnson, T. Williams, etc. 

This draft, the field says Smart and Young are the real deal. I sure hope so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Must be Young's Kentucky pedigree that's impressed you so. That and the bad neck.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Funny how people were talking about Iverson like he was  some secret weapon , and Smart was going to bowl over peopl, but if Randle tried to do it it wouldn't work. Oly is weak and slow. Fav should be here also,  What has he proved?  They are probably embarrassed to show how soft he is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Best big man last year was Hump, that is not saying much but he did alright considering.  Sully should be better this year if he stays healthy.  And Fav is going to have to play a lot more.  It should be another long season for 14-15.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

People say Sully is fat.  What do you have to pay a guy to get in shape ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Must be Young's Kentucky pedigree that's impressed you so. That and the bad neck.

Pud

[/QUOTE]  Not really. I'm a Louisville guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Pressey,ko and moser played well, marcus was terrible. Offensively he was awful once again, his 3-15 is even uglier when you consider he STARTED THE GAME GOING 2-2 ON A PAIR OF FAST BREAKS (DUNK AND LAYUP) so he proceeded to shoot 1-13 after gettting a couple of ez hoops, not encouraging. If thats not bad enough his ability to FINISH at the rim has been non existant so far, which is supposedly a strenth, he seems to either get blocked or throws up a wild attempt or sometimes he gets bailed out with fts. I dont think he has converted one contested drive in these 2 games. 

I know its just summer league but this has been a very discouraging start for marcus. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:

Pressey,ko and moser played well, marcus was terrible. Offensively he was awful once again, his 3-15 is even uglier when you consider he STARTED THE GAME GOING 2-2 ON A PAIR OF FAST BREAKS (DUNK AND LAYUP) so he proceeded to shoot 1-13 after gettting a couple of ez hoops, not encouraging. If thats not bad enough his ability to FINISH at the rim has been non existant so far, which is supposedly a strenth, he seems to either get blocked or throws up a wild attempt or sometimes he gets bailed out with fts. I dont think he has converted one contested drive in these 2 games. 

I know its just summer league but this has been a very discouraging start for marcus. 

At least Smart is good at the FT line.

6-8 last game and 4-4 against the Pacers.

In 2-3 years we'll know if Smart is the real deal.

Right it's still adjustment period.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Being 10-12 at the the ft line is hardly worth mentioning.  But I guess it is when your used to watching rondo at the line. But for most nba players thats not an accomplishment. 

Marcus has LOOKED terrible SO FAR on the offensive end. He has a long way to go if he wants to be a scorer in this league.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkiller. Show greenkiller's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

At least Smart is good at the FT line.

6-8 last game and 4-4 against the Pacers.

In 2-3 years we'll know if Smart is the real deal.

Right it's still adjustment period.

[/QUOTE]

http://youtu.be/DtGBIOEf7ro

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Being 10-12 at the the ft line is hardly worth mentioning.  But I guess it is when your used to watching rondo at the line. But for most nba players thats not an accomplishment. 

Marcus has LOOKED terrible SO FAR on the offensive end. He has a long way to go if he wants to be a scorer in this league.

The point is Smart can get to the FT line.

When KG was still a Celtic, there were times when KG don't even have a single FT attempt in a game.

Smart is also not a scorer.

He's more of a playmaker than a scorer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Smart has looked terrible at the offensive end... but most importantly , he isn't afraid to fail.

He isn't afraid to look really bad.

And given time and maturity, he will learn from his failures.

The difference between failing and succeeding is the willingness to make adjustments, frequently very small adjustments... and to stay with it until success comes.

He has the tools... and, more importantly, the confidence to stay with it.

Great kid.

Fearless.

Pud

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

[QUOTE]

Smart has looked terrible at the offensive end... but most importantly , he isn't afraid to fail.

The difference between failing and succeeding is the willingness to make adjustments, frequently very small adjustments... and to stay with it until success comes.

Great kid.

Fearless.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

+1 - Agree - not to mention we do not know how often / hard the coaches are running them in practice! In summer league, it is not  uncommon to hold a practice on game day!

The Cs looked a step slow yesterday! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

[QUOTE]

Great kid.

Fearless.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Im glad he isnt afraid to look bad, becuz hed be scared shtlss right now. I dont even care about the missed shots, he is not passing the eye test either. 

His jump shot has been a known problem, but not being able to finish at the rim is concerning to me.

Im curious on what everyone thinks his scoring ceiling is?  Do you think he will EVER avg more than 18ppg? Cuz to me he seems like  a 12-14ppg TOPS. Look at  jgreen much better offensive skill set, can score in every way possible and he cant even break 17ppg (career high on 16.9 last year and on a lot of shots too 41%fg)

I hope im wrong, but so far  he has shown to be a very ineffecient offensive player, in both years in college (42% and 41% below 30% from 3) and now his first 2 games in summer league. Idk y people think he is  going to become a BETTER, MORE EFFECIENT scorer playing at the NBA LEVEL where his size and strength is not a huge advantage cuz he aint blowing by guys, he is going to have to go thru players, much like the very criticized"bull in the china shop"  style of julius randle (who I think we will regret passing on). But we will see.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No you are spot on in your assessment. Being summer league isnt an excuse he can use. Being in Summer league means he should be dominating now if he really is gonna be rook of the year like SOME proclaim. I like his potential for 2 years from now but the folks that said he was a sure fire pick!? NBA ready??  An undersized nobody like Pressey should not be outplaying him, esp in regards to rebounds but he is. 

For a guy compared to D.Wade I expected a better finisher around the rim. It seems as his size made the game easy for him in college and he will surely have to adjust cuz no one in the nba is gonna let you come in the paint with weak ish!  Its early but right now I am wishing Danny traded down and got G.Harris, a guy who is gonna be a better defender than Bradley, has a bit more size and has a scoring touch and tenacity that only Payton can match who btw had a near triple double last game. He is playing to his # 10 draftspot. Smart is not living up to # 6 but thats more Dannys fault than his.

We could have used Bradleys money on a big and started Harris right away. Harris just like his fellow school alum, Jason Richardson is gonna turn heads early if he plays.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Great kid.

Fearless.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Im glad he isnt afraid to look bad, becuz hed be scared shtlss right now. I dont even care about the missed shots, he is not passing the eye test either. 

His jump shot has been a known problem, but not being able to finish at the rim is concerning to me.

Im curious on what everyone thinks his scoring ceiling is?  Do you think he will EVER avg more than 18ppg? Cuz to me he seems like  a 12-14ppg TOPS. Look at  jgreen much better offensive skill set, can score in every way possible and he cant even break 17ppg (career high on 16.9 last year and on a lot of shots too 41%fg)

I hope im wrong, but so far  he has shown to be a very ineffecient offensive player, in both years in college (42% and 41% below 30% from 3) and now his first 2 games in summer league. Idk y people think he is  going to become a BETTER, MORE EFFECIENT scorer playing at the NBA LEVEL where his size and strength is not a huge advantage cuz he aint blowing by guys, he is going to have to go thru players, much like the very criticized"bull in the china shop"  style of julius randle (who I think we will regret passing on). But we will see.

[/QUOTE]

No he wouldn't be scared shtlss... he would be timid... which he is not.

What I want out of Smart is NBA-ready defensive intensity which is contagious, leadership under fire, and the willingness to listen to his coaches as he sorts things out.

The scoring will come when he relaxes and learns to  let the game come to him.

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Two games into his pro career, Boston Celtics rookie guard Marcus Smart is shooting just 21.7 percent from the floor (5 of 23 overall) and has made only one of his first 10 3-point attempts. Fellow backcourt mate Phil Pressey had simple and familiar advice for Smart: Keep shooting.

"Guys miss shots all the time in summer league and, going into the regular season, they catch fire," said Pressey. "This is what summer league is for -- for you to work on your game and try things out. I feel like he’s doing that. I'd rather him go 2-for-20 than 0-for-2 or 0-for-3 because, right now, it doesn’t count. In the regular season, it’s going to count."

Smart connected on just 3-of-15 shots (including having three shots blocked) during Monday's 96-77 loss to the Indiana Pacers, but finished with 11 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, and a steal over 27 minutes, 29 seconds of floor time. It was an up-and-down performance, with Smart tending to thrive more off the ball while running with a ball-handler like Pressey alongside.

Smart didn't seem overly concerned about his poor shooting night.

"Just one of those nights where my shots wasn’t falling," said Smart. "I just tried to go on the defensive end and compete on that end, because I can control my defensive effort every night."

That was a sentiment echoed by head coach Brad Stevens on Sunday when he praised Smart for the way his defense impacted Boston's summer-opening win against the Miami Heat, while suggesting his shooting will come along at the NBA level.

"I couldn’t have been happier with his first summer league game and he was 2-for-8 [shooting overall] and 0-for-5 [beyond the 3-point arc]," said Stevens. "I really think he’ll grow and his shot -- I think that’s something that will come over time. I think the biggest thing is he just needs reps and beliefs and we’ll help him get there."

The knock on Pressey has long been that he doesn't have the perimeter shooting to force defenses to stay honest. Early in his rookie season in Boston, Pressey struggled with his shot, but said veterans like Rajon Rondo implored him to keep shooting and build that confidence. Now playing the veteran role on this year's summer squad, Pressey is imparting that same advice to others.

Smart, who Celtics coaches have suggested has emerged as a leader on the summer squad because of the way he's programmed, said he accepted responsibility for Boston's poor play on Monday.

"Being a point guard and being a leader on my teams, I definitely feel like I take a lot of responsibility," said Smart. "We had moments out there where we didn’t look like we knew where we were -- defensive end and offensive end. As leader and as a point guard, I've definitely gotta get my teammates back on the right track and I just feel like we didn’t do that tonight."

The usual "It's summer league!" reminder should be offered here. Rookies are going to have ups and downs. Magic point guard Elfrid Payton -- the 10th overall pick -- had a dud of a summer debut earlier this week, then turned around on Monday and had 12 points, 9 assists, and 8 rebounds in Orlando's win over Houston.

Smart is in an increased spotlight this time of year, which tends to exaggerate both his successes and miscues. Asked what he's trying to get out of summer league, Smart offered, "Just playing. Nothing really much different. I’ve been getting used to the 3-point line, just staying consistent and trying to get more shots up. And make more shots. Just keep playing everyday."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Great kid.

Fearless.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I could see him averaging around 12 points and 5 assists a game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkiller. Show greenkiller's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Great kid.

Fearless.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

+1 - Agree - not to mention we do not know how often / hard the coaches are running them in practice! In summer league, it is not  uncommon to hold a practice on game day!

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!!!!! EXCUSES, EXCUSES AND MORE EXCUSES. So the Celtics only do that. Smart is stinking it up. Stop with the lame excuses please...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to greenkiller's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Great kid.

Fearless.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!!!!!! EXCUSES, EXCUSES AND MORE EXCUSES. So the Celtics only do that. Smart is stinking it up. Stop with the lame excuses please...

[/QUOTE]

Hey. Has Randle played yet this summer?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Smart will be fine he's a rookie.... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkiller. Show greenkiller's posts

In response to CeltsFanInNH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to greenkiller's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Great kid.

Fearless.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey. Has Randle played yet this summer?  

[/QUOTE]

No because Lakers star summer league Friday. But I guess he practices with the Lakers. 

Sections
Shortcuts