Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wade3. Show Wade3's posts

Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent

In Response to Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent:
    [QUOTE]Boston is the only team that swept their opponent in the east, and if Oklahoma city couldn't sweep tonight, then Boston will remain the only team in the entire NBA that swept their opponent in the first round.   Who would have believed that a month ago. Does that tell us something?
    Posted by ChiefEddie1028[/QUOTE]

That doesn't mean anything at all. The Knicks are a terrible team. Billups did not play and staudamire was playing hurt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Wade3,
    How nice to see a Heat fan appear even if a little early?  Something tells me you are not a Heat fan but a Laker troll in disguise.  Getting ready for the Heat series?  Aren't you more worried about your own team at this point?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wade3. Show Wade3's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent:
    [QUOTE]Wade3, How nice to see a Heat fan appear even if a little early?  Something tells me you are not a Heat fan but a Laker troll in disguise.  Getting ready for the Heat series?  Aren't you more worried about your own team at this point?  
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Nope im a heat fan. Something is telling you wrong.LOL why would i be a lakers fan i hate the lakers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wade3. Show Wade3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : Nope im a heat fan. Something is telling you wrong.LOL why would i be a lakers fan i hate the lakers.
    Posted by Wade3[/QUOTE]

Im here to discuss the heat and celtics series. I hope you don't mind. Im all for a good decent discussion between both our teams. Not trying to troll at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I'm going to have to fall on the pesimist's side of this one.  We played a team that only had 3 good players, and two of them were hurt.  Of course the lakers are playing a team with only two good players and one decent player, and one of the two are hurt and they're 2-2.

While I think it's great that the C's get to rest, I woudn't do a lot of chest thumping over the 4-0 status. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

[QUOTE]Wade3, How nice to see a Heat fan appear even if a little early?  Something tells me you are not a Heat fan but a Laker troll in disguise.  Getting ready for the Heat series?  Aren't you more worried about your own team at this point?  
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I Like That.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRock1. Show SoxRock1's posts

It only means that they get a few extra days off.  And the Knicks are a .500 team since the trade - and that's with a healthy Billups and Stoudemire.  And however said that this would give Shaq more rest, I say he's had a couple of months rest... Isn't that enough?  The Knicks are no question the worst team in the playoffs and the Cs did exactly what they should have... Sweep

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Some say lucky, some disagree, in the end the Celtics swept the Knicks. That's all that matters.  In the NBA it is very difficult to beat one team 4 straight times. Enough said.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree that it is a great accomplishment.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenTits. Show GreenTits's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : That doesn't mean anything at all. The Knicks are a terrible team. Billups did not play and staudamire was playing hurt.
    Posted by Wade3[/QUOTE]

The Knicks are a terrible team but we swept them. 76ers is a lower seed team but yet they manage to beat the Heats. hmmm

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : They beat the same team 5 times.... this team that many thought that after winning a bunch of games coming into the playoffs lost 2 of its 3 best players. You are absolutely right, it is almost impossible to beat the same time 4 times in a row.... so the Cs beat the Knicks 5 in a row..... and the Heat absolutely stomped the Cs in their meeting........
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

it seems you have alzheimers or dementia, but the 3 times before that with the heat what happen. You have proof how hard it is. You know what was so amazing the 3 wins the celts had against the heat, they never had a stable roster and still beat the heat. 4 out of 7 series i pick the celts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

[QUOTE]It only means that they get a few extra days off.  And the Knicks are a .500 team since the trade - and that's with a healthy Billups and Stoudemire.  And however said that this would give Shaq more rest, I say he's had a couple of months rest... Isn't that enough?  The Knicks are no question the worst team in the playoffs and the Cs did exactly what they should have... Sweep
    Posted by SoxRock1[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY they did what no other team, that were predicted to do. Like the spurs, lakers, heat and bulls. The prediction was bad and there is always and excuse. What will be the spurs excuse against the grizz? No question the knicks are you serious and they were supposed to be the hardest challenge in the first round. Come on dude, you talking nonsense. NO excuses of the sweep I want to know of the response of the so called experts they have been pretty quiet right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : That doesn't mean anything at all. The Knicks are a terrible team. Billups did not play and staudamire was playing hurt.
    Posted by Wade3[/QUOTE]

Like the celts have all season, kg was out for about 10 games, rondo 15, JON more than half the season, perkins before traded played 10 games, shaq you already know. So lay back and think if this team was 100% healthy thru the whole season where would they be. Celts still own the HEAT even with the blow out. Remember winning big only counts for only 1 W. Thats the only way they can beat the celts in a blowout in a close game the heat are in trouble.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : we also swept the knicks 4-0 in the regular season. 8-0 over all is quite an accomplishment. the knicks were not the worst team in the playoffs. indiana, atlanta, philadelphia and new orleans were all playing worse. you make it sound like we only played miami once. we beat them 3 times. in the first 2, the scoreline flattered the heat: we were by far the superior team. in the 3rd, we were decimated by injuries and we still pulled out the win. in the final meeting, we were playing our worst basketball of the season, and out starters kept it close until their bench blew away ours. don't count on that happening again.
    Posted by teh-n00b[/QUOTE]

Whatever helps you show the best light on the situation is fine with me..... when you pull your head out of the sand are your teeth all gritty and have eyes and nose boogies, etc.?

The Knicks were a much better team before the trade, and while they did have a nice run leading into the playoffs, they were like a 500 team since the trade.  They then lost their point guard and their best player withing 48 hours between game 1 and game 2.  The Cs really struggled to win the first two against that lost its point guard (with the same number of rings of the Cs players and 6 straight conference finals on his resume) and then of course once Amare went down the Knicks were demoralized and their only remaining good player is a stat-bag (or Paul Pierce of 5 years ago).

You add all this up and it somehow portends a great victory against the Heat.

The Cs victories against the Heat include the first game ever played by the Heat as a team (as currently constructed) and SHAQ.  The last time they met the Cs were embarrassed off the floor.  They had a chance to make a statement and the statement was "we are not as young or athletic as this team and cannot cope with them, so let's make sure we get home court advantage... ooops... no home court advantage"......

The Cs were a couple of shots here or there or a couple of cheap calls here or there from leaving Boston down 2 zip.

I am not sure you could find many people that think the Knicks as currently constructed are better than Indy, the Hawks, or the 6ers.  Last time the Cs played the Hawks and Pacers ummmm they lost.  One could easily argue that if the Cs had any of their point guards, the Cs would not have struggled nearly as much against the Knicks - Collison, Hinrich,  Holiday.

The Hawks are playing tremendous defense against Orlando.  What I see is two teams (the Knicks and Magic) made huge trades during the course of the season and those two teams have performed horribly in the playoffs but of course that is not lost on someone as astute as you (and all the other oblivious posters on BDC).

Ok so back to how the Cs are playing.

They limped into the playoffs (just like last year) and have beaten the Knicks in 5 straight games, 3 of which excluded 2 of their 3 best players.... so somehow the interpretation is that they are playing the way the Celtics play......  so playing a bad team missing a couple of its best players somehow is interpreted as perched and ready to pounce on the Heat because the Heat lost a game to the team that the Cs lost to last time they played them, the 6ers.

The team with the best pf vs. pa differential in the league is certainly comparable to the team that views defense as an unconfirmed rumor....  I get it now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : it seems you have alzheimers or dementia, but the 3 times before that with the heat what happen. You have proof how hard it is. You know what was so amazing the 3 wins the celts had against the heat, they never had a stable roster and still beat the heat. 4 out of 7 series i pick the celts
    Posted by ojmega[/QUOTE]

ummmm Shaq... thanks for playing, we have some wonderful parting gifts for you... the Heat have gone the entire season without their starting powerforward and went a lot of the season without their starting 2 guard, etc. but of course injuries, etc. only apply to the Cs......  we have a nice Shark Vaccum, two days of doggy day care, and some Beneful for you.... thanks for playing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : EXACTLY they did what no other team, that were predicted to do. Like the spurs, lakers, heat and bulls. The prediction was bad and there is always and excuse. What will be the spurs excuse against the grizz? No question the knicks are you serious and they were supposed to be the hardest challenge in the first round. Come on dude, you talking nonsense. NO excuses of the sweep I want to know of the response of the so called experts they have been pretty quiet right now.
    Posted by ojmega[/QUOTE]

What will be the Spurs excuse against the Grizz?  Well the main excuse may be that the Grizz completely dominated them the last two times they played and that there is speculation that the Grizz tanked the last few games to make sure they played the Spurs because they were confident they could beat the Spurs.  And as I said many times on this board that the Spurs were frauds and they were a jump shooting team that beat up on a lot of bad teams during the season but were not built for the playoffs.

So just so you are aware.... many of the experts felt pretty strongly that the Grizz would beat the Spurs.......

Were you the star of the GEICO commercial "living under a rock"?

The Grizz have a better center, better powerforward, as good a point guard, and oh by the way missing perhaps their best player which may have caused a sweep..... but of course you knew all that and are an astute student of the league.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : The three losses we avoided don't carry over into the next round, but the four wins, and the sweep, carry us over to the next round, since we have the momentum, the spirit, and the pride, as the team in this NBA playoffs without a lose.
    Posted by ChiefEddie1028[/QUOTE]

Spirit and pride are great for the Celtics... dancers

Momentum doesn't mean anything because they have an entire week off.

The only thing that I like is the rest that they're getting

The longer the 76ers occupy the Heat, the more rest Shaq and the heavily-played starters get.  And they'll need it because the bench is almost non-existent and they have to play 40 minutes per game in order to compete

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : ummmm Shaq... thanks for playing, we have some wonderful parting gifts for you... the Heat have gone the entire season without their starting powerforward and went a lot of the season without their starting 2 guard, etc. but of course injuries, etc. only apply to the Cs......  we have a nice Shark Vaccum, two days of doggy day care, and some Beneful for you.... thanks for playing.

their starting power forward is bosh. their starting shooting guard is wade.

miller was stuck on the bench for the 20 win wizards last season. haslem was a solid reserve for miami last season.

neither is comparable to losing 3 starter quality centers, plus missing rondo and KG for chunks of the season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : Spirit and pride are great for the Celtics... dancers Momentum doesn't mean anything because they have an entire week off. The only thing that I like is the rest that they're getting The longer the 76ers occupy the Heat, the more rest Shaq and the heavily-played starters get.  And they'll need it because the bench is almost non-existent and they have to play 40 minutes per game in order to compete
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

You don't know what you are talking about. You don't have to be a dancer to have Spirit and Pride.

Secondly, because they have the entire week off does not mean they don't have the momentum. Momentum is not a physical thing but mental. Get it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : Whatever helps you show the best light on the situation is fine with me..... when you pull your head out of the sand are your teeth all gritty and have eyes and nose boogies, etc.? The Knicks were a much better team before the trade, and while they did have a nice run leading into the playoffs, they were like a 500 team since the trade.  They then lost their point guard and their best player withing 48 hours between game 1 and game 2.  The Cs really struggled to win the first two against that lost its point guard (with the same number of rings of the Cs players and 6 straight conference finals on his resume) and then of course once Amare went down the Knicks were demoralized and their only remaining good player is a stat-bag (or Paul Pierce of 5 years ago). You add all this up and it somehow portends a great victory against the Heat. The Cs victories against the Heat include the first game ever played by the Heat as a team (as currently constructed) and SHAQ.  The last time they met the Cs were embarrassed off the floor.  They had a chance to make a statement and the statement was "we are not as young or athletic as this team and cannot cope with them, so let's make sure we get home court advantage... ooops... no home court advantage"...... The Cs were a couple of shots here or there or a couple of cheap calls here or there from leaving Boston down 2 zip. I am not sure you could find many people that think the Knicks as currently constructed are better than Indy, the Hawks, or the 6ers.  Last time the Cs played the Hawks and Pacers ummmm they lost.  One could easily argue that if the Cs had any of their point guards, the Cs would not have struggled nearly as much against the Knicks - Collison, Hinrich,  Holiday. The Hawks are playing tremendous defense against Orlando.  What I see is two teams (the Knicks and Magic) made huge trades during the course of the season and those two teams have performed horribly in the playoffs but of course that is not lost on someone as astute as you (and all the other oblivious posters on BDC). Ok so back to how the Cs are playing. They limped into the playoffs (just like last year) and have beaten the Knicks in 5 straight games, 3 of which excluded 2 of their 3 best players.... so somehow the interpretation is that they are playing the way the Celtics play......  so playing a bad team missing a couple of its best players somehow is interpreted as perched and ready to pounce on the Heat because the Heat lost a game to the team that the Cs lost to last time they played them, the 6ers. The team with the best pf vs. pa differential in the league is certainly comparable to the team that views defense as an unconfirmed rumor....  I get it now.

the knicks were not a much better team before the trade. they had a little bit more cohesion which came from playing together longer, but after hot streak where they won 13 of 14, they faded badly. talent-wise, they definitely got the better of the trade, they just needed a little while to figure out how to play with one another.

this is the playoffs. you're not going to win every game by 20 points. there aren't going to be many blowouts. in fact, in some ways game 1 & 2 were more impressive for the way we won with superior execution down the stretch despite not playing at our best for most of the game.

in contrast, your favourite team at the moment, the heat, have struggled mightily in those situations, going 1 for 20 on game winning shots, and losing the one game where the shot did fall. a win is a win, whether it's by 1 or 20.

yes, billups and stoudemire got injured. bad luck. we swept a team that we otherwise would've beaten in 5 or 6. most people had them pushing us to 6 or 7 games or upsetting us. injuries happen. do you think I shall shed a single tear if wade or bosh get injured?

2 of our 3 victories did include shaq, but he was by no means the deciding factor. the key was the ray allen/dwyane wade matchup. allen torched wade twice, while stifling him on defense, forcing lebron to play the same sort of hero-ball he played in cleveland.

the 3rd game was probably the most telling. we were decimated by injuries, pierce played the worst game of his career, yet we won through team defense and superior execution in the clutch.

in the 4th game, our big 3 outscored their big 3, but their supporting cast, widely acknowledged as the worst in the league, dropped 50 on us. if that's what it takes to beat us, miami are in for a tough time. our supporting cast, despite the lackadaisical play from our bench, includes rondo and JO, who are both playing much better than they were at the time.

saying that indy, hawks and pacers are better than the knicks because they beat us and the knicks didn't is committing what I like to call "the scissors-paper-rock fallacy". it's like saying that cleveland are the best team in the league because they beat boston, miami and the lakers.

I know I'll never sway you on this point, but rondo is far better than holiday, collison and hinrich. the only thing they can do better is shoot, and shooting is but one facet of a game involving multiple skills, and rondo is far better at everything else.

hawks-magic is a classic example of matchups triumphing over talent. no-one would argue that atlanta are the better team, but they are winning the series because they are playing howard well. the Cs trade is not comparable to the knicks or magic trades. those teams blew up their entire roster except for one superstar. we exchanged one role player for another.

not sure why you'd bring up last year in support of your argument, but the similarities are everywhere. like last year, we limped into the playoffs, comfortably beat a team that most expected would give us trouble, and now will face the best team in the league.

no-one is saying "we beat the knicks, therefore we will beat the heat". they're saying "we saw encouraging signs in this series, we will have closely fought, hotly contested battle with the heat"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : the knicks were not a much better team before the trade. they had a little bit more cohesion which came from playing together longer, but after hot streak where they won 13 of 14, they faded badly. talent-wise, they definitely got the better of the trade, they just needed a little while to figure out how to play with one another. this is the playoffs. you're not going to win every game by 20 points. there aren't going to be many blowouts. in fact, in some ways game 1 & 2 were more impressive for the way we won with superior execution down the stretch despite not playing at our best for most of the game. in contrast, your favourite team at the moment, the heat, have struggled mightily in those situations, going 1 for 20 on game winning shots, and losing the one game where the shot did fall. a win is a win, whether it's by 1 or 20. yes, billups and stoudemire got injured. bad luck. we swept a team that we otherwise would've beaten in 5 or 6. most people had them pushing us to 6 or 7 games or upsetting us. injuries happen. do you think I shall shed a single tear if wade or bosh get injured? 2 of our 3 victories did include shaq, but he was by no means the deciding factor. the key was the ray allen/dwyane wade matchup. allen torched wade twice, while stifling him on defense, forcing lebron to play the same sort of hero-ball he played in cleveland. the 3rd game was probably the most telling. we were decimated by injuries, pierce played the worst game of his career, yet we won through team defense and superior execution in the clutch. in the 4th game, our big 3 outscored their big 3, but their supporting cast, widely acknowledged as the worst in the league, dropped 50 on us. if that's what it takes to beat us, miami are in for a tough time. our supporting cast, despite the lackadaisical play from our bench, includes rondo and JO, who are both playing much better than they were at the time. saying that indy, hawks and pacers are better than the knicks because they beat us and the knicks didn't is committing what I like to call "the scissors-paper-rock fallacy". it's like saying that cleveland are the best team in the league because they beat boston, miami and the lakers. I know I'll never sway you on this point, but rondo is far better than holiday, collison and hinrich. the only thing they can do better is shoot, and shooting is but one facet of a game involving multiple skills, and rondo is far better at everything else. hawks-magic is a classic example of matchups triumphing over talent. no-one would argue that atlanta are the better team, but they are winning the series because they are playing howard well. the Cs trade is not comparable to the knicks or magic trades. those teams blew up their entire roster except for one superstar. we exchanged one role player for another. not sure why you'd bring up last year in support of your argument, but the similarities are everywhere. like last year, we limped into the playoffs, comfortably beat a team that most expected would give us trouble, and now will face the best team in the league. no-one is saying "we beat the knicks, therefore we will beat the heat". they're saying "we saw encouraging signs in this series, we will have closely fought, hotly contested battle with the heat"
    Posted by teh-n00b[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall a point in the season where they faced eachother and one was on a 9 game streak and one on a 10 game streak or something like that and Amare hit a 3 to win the game about 1 tenth of a second after the buzzer...... um the Knicks were a better team before the trade.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maverick685. Show maverick685's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : I seem to recall a point in the season where they faced eachother and one was on a 9 game streak and one on a 10 game streak or something like that and Amare hit a 3 to win the game about 1 tenth of a second after the buzzer...... um the Knicks were a better team before the trade.

I don't remember... who won that game?  Thanks for playing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : I don't remember... who won that game?  Thanks for playing.
    Posted by maverick685

I was very glad to see the Cs win that game, the point I was making is that the Knicks were better before the trade, I don't there is even much debate about that.

The trades during the season ruined the season for the Knicks and Magic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : I was very glad to see the Cs win that game, the point I was making is that the Knicks were better before the trade, I don't there is even much debate about that. The trades during the season ruined the season for the Knicks and Magic.

Yeah it couldn't be because Rajon still owns Jameer Nelson and Billups.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Is The Only Team That Swept Their Opponent : Yeah it couldn't be because Rajon still owns Jameer Nelson and Billups.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

hmmmm.... Rondo was abysmal in game 1 until.....  ooopsss then Billups was injured and then Rondo started to play well.........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

To discount a sweep of an opponent in the NBA is not logical. I think Billups is one of their most important pieces, but it's still no excuse. Look what Memphis is doing to San Antonio without arguably their best player. You have to recognize the accomplishment or your not being truthful. Last for me on this, looking forward to Boston vs. Phily.