Brad Stevens next Celtics coach.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: Brad Stevens next Celtics coach.

Brad strikes me as a work horse rather than a show horse like Pitino.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to chris33's comment:

This impressed me the most...

Stevens' 166 wins are the most for any NCAA Division I basketball coach over the first six years to start a career.

Maybe that's why Ainge gave him a 6-year deal.

Marc Stein         @ESPNSteinLine

RT @SteveBHoop: League source says Brad Stevens getting six-year contract with Celtics

Six years??? That is bold, I guess Ainge sees him as the coach of the future and not just a filler. Any idea on what the contract is worth?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I love this move. It puts him in a situation to get his feet wet where there aren't many expectations, and he can grow and learn with a young team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Rondo will eat him alive. Except he will be gone.

no sir, concord. smart respects smart. two way street.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Fine with me.  No problem with this selection.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Stevens is a very calm coach like John Wooden.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

No sir, Rondo will not eat this guy alive. Don't let his looks fool you, this a a no nonsense coach we are getting.  Ainge just moved up another step in my book. Great hire Danny.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Richard1965. Show Richard1965's posts

Nice hire....good job DA!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

Rondo will eat him alive. Except he will be gone.

no sir, concord. smart respects smart. two way street.

I hope you are right.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

I see dark days ahead for the Celtics. I don't get it: You have a choice between Brett Brown and some college kid coach. Hiring Brown should have been a no-brainer. The guy learned under Popovich, he was responsible for player development for the team best at developing talent, he is one of the most in demand coaches available, and he really wanted to coach the Celtics back to glory and Danny Ainge passes on him. I guess Danny Ainge didn't learn anything from the Rick Pitino days. I am pretty ticked off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

Reminds me of Rick Pitino during the rebuilding process of the Celtics in the 1990's that ended tanking games for the sake of the top lottery pick which is Tim Duncan....they are both sucessful college coach. Is Stevens the next Rick Pitino?

Hopefully not, instead he will bring us banner 18th....Wish you all the best Brad!!!!!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

This move gives me another reason to watch.

I feel that 75% of NBA players tune out the coach and make this just about another paycheck. Once you hit 25-30 years old, basketball gets old. You hear the same song and dance year after year and most never do actualy win. It is human nature to get tired of your profession and lose some passion. You forget about that kid who used to dream about the NBA while playing pickup games.

This coach is hands down the best combination NCAA coach at delivering that motivational message mixed with some smart game planning. In the NBA they are all decent game planners but almost all coaches fail at the message and getting the above mentioned 75% to play some inspired ball. 

The reason I am interested is that we will have a very young team where none are guaranteed a job. No set in there ways veterans. Many new 1st rounds pick to be chosen. If this guy turns out to be a coach who is very inspirational and can build with a good group of guys that buy into his message we may be able to get that 75% who don't care down to 25% on our team. In that case we can be contenders even without a Lebron ( do it all yourself ) type player and one of those teams that is a pleasure to watch.

This is a pipe dream and one thats been tried many times over with very little luck. Kinda the holy grail where a professional team actualy gives a %$&#. 

Time to give that pipe dream one more solid try. I am interested to see it yet again fail and, deep down inside, inspired by the hope it may succeed

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

With a young core and seven 1st round picks in the next 4 years this is great move

After the Mavericks finished off the sweep, Magic Johnson said that the Lakers "embarrassed the organization" and called the fouls on Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum "classless."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

wow!!

nice pic

this guy has certainly proven he can work wth young players.

I wonder if his hiring means anything about Rondo staying or going?

He is used to working with college kids not with men that make more money than him. Heck, he is but a boy himself.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

What I love about Danny is that he is not hesitant about swinging for the fences.  Give him flexibility and you see the gambler's mindset.  Risky draft picks.  And now a risky coach pick.  But the ones that work out more than compensate for the ones that didn't.

Still not sure about what Danny is planning with Rondo.  I was thinking that he will trade him and Wallace and play in the free agency next year.  But the free agency idea does not seem right with Brad Stevens in the 2nd. year as coach.  So Rondo is probably sticking around.

Good luck Brad and welcome!  Hope you are very successful.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Solid Hire!  love this move....finally a good piece of news in the boston sport scene lately!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Hard to say if this is a good hire or not...

My first reaction is no...not a young coach from college with no experience in the NBA. dealing with kids dying for PT and their scholarship $$$ is a little different than highly paid NBA pros that have a hard time taking sh** from experienced nba coaches, let alone a rookie..

Only thing is to see how it goes... Hopefully DA will get rid of that nightmare Rondo so Stevens wont get off to a bad start..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

This is the perfect hire.  Whether you like it or not - it's gonna take 3 - 5 years to rebuild.  Ainge went out and got a bunch of #1 picks - so now the Celts have 8 #1s over next 5 years. 

That is how you get a young talented coach.

Stevens now gets to build his team based on a 3 - 5 year vision. 

Perfect hire.

Defense.  It is still important.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to bangkoker's comment:

Reminds me of Rick Pitino during the rebuilding process of the Celtics in the 1990's that ended tanking games for the sake of the top lottery pick which is Tim Duncan....they are both sucessful college coach. Is Stevens the next Rick Pitino?

Hopefully not, instead he will bring us banner 18th....Wish you all the best Brad!!!!!!

M.L. Carr was the coach who tanked for Duncan in 1997. 

Pitino arrived after the 1997 season, prior to the NBA Draft Lottery in May of 1997.

Thanks for the correction Fierce!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Great Great Great Great Great choice!   Well done Danny!

Sections
Shortcuts