Bring Troy Murphy to Boston Already

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

Re: Bring Troy Murphy to Boston Already

Wishful Thinking

Time Will Only Tell

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Morrow is not a Ray clone... he's a great shooter and not much otherwise

Guys been a 15p-3r-1a-.5s ages 23-25

Ray was a 21-3.5-3.5-1.5 ages 23-25... he could drive, dunk ('97 contest) was an all-star @ 24/25 and had that effortless mid-range j, smooth floater and the nasty reverses

Morrow shooting 47-45-88 is more impressive than Ray's 46-41-89 was at those ages tho.

This trade idea begs these questions:

A.) Why would NJ give him up when he's 25, makes MLE $ and is a great shooter in an era when there a way less guys like him then there were a decade ago when Ray wa shis age

B.) How would Celts really benefit by giving Murphy Baby's mins when Glen has 3 and a half years of chemistry with this club. Do you then trade Baby and Quis for an upgrade at the 3? I'd say these are summer moves and not ones you make with the 2nd best record in the game.

C.) Is first rd pick #30 worth paying Nate and JON 5 million more than Morrow next year? If I were the Nets no freaking way. That KILLS cap space.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Also they only passed on Murphy twice, and only blew it once since Joe Johnson was/is clearly a far better player.

I wanted Joe Johnson OR Rich Jefferson with the 10th pick that year. Obviously after the stupid Mercer for Fortson trade (although Ron was about to get hurt and his career end) Pierce needed a running mate and could play the 3 w/ JJ or the 2 w/ RJ.

At 11 why on EARTH do you pick Kederick Brown over Murphy. You now have 2 elite wings for a decade in Pierce and Johnson. Grab a big man who can rebound when Antoine plays outside or hit the long J when Battie plays inside?

By the time we idiotically passed on Tony Parker at #17 or 19 or whatever it was, Murphy was gone.

Then we had to trade Johnson for Delk and Rodney. Granted they helped us get to the East finals... but their impact would have been similar to having Murphy/Parker off the bench all year and we'd have saved a '02 1st rd pick.

Ugh... 10 years in June and I can't get over the '01 draft

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'm all for upgrading ONE of our two weakest bench spots. I think Nate and 'Quis are not quite the elite reserves a 65 win champion needs.

Since West looked so good with Nate briefly... w/ Nate so comfortable when he can guard PG's but play SG.... I have been mostly saying a deal to turn 'Quis into more of that rugged Posey type (Battier, Prince, Pose himself) should be the only real move.

If you can upgrade Nate to Morrow, a better shooter and defender of SG's (simply b/c he is not 5'8") then you do it in a heartbeat, but NJ wouldn't, as I said before.

I'd love to trade Nate, JON, Bradley AND our '12 1st rd pick for Prince (all that '12 salary intake worth Avery and a pick?) or for Iguodala (would Avery/pick and saving 30 million be worth tradng a 17p 6r 1.5s athlete to run w/ Rondo ages 27-30 within the division?)

but maybe Nate will again be great with DWest back in 3-4 weeks and we can make a little trade like 'Quis and a 2nd rd pick for Grant Hill....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PogiAko. Show PogiAko's posts

Murphy is not playing well right now. Look at his FG percentage

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

He's hurt as often as JO...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In Response to Bring Troy Murphy to Boston Already:
    [QUOTE]I say package Nate, JON , Harangody and Von Wafer if they wnt him, + #1 pick  We get Troy Murphy and Anthony Morrow Murphy is the big time rebounder we will need to back up Garnett and Shaq & Perk. He is bigger than Big Baby , a great shooter & free throw shooter , a much better player at 20 min p/game than 30+ , a perfect fit for the Celtics Morrow is a young Ray Allen clone Murphy should have been drafted by the Celtics as they passed on him 3 times when they had the 3 #1 draft picks (and wiffed 3 times) His jersey with a #1 or #7 or #13 would immediately be in top 10 jersey sales   
    Posted by PHX85014[/QUOTE]Murphy has an expiring contract worth almost $12M. No way DA will acquire him at that price, particularly since the contracts of BBD and Perkins are up for renewal at th end of this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Murphy is a bum at his contract level. Decent player with overpaid contract = bum. 

"I have been mostly saying a deal to turn 'Quis into more of that rugged Posey type (Battier, Prince, Pose himself"

Let the Posey fantasies go. He's as old as the tires in my neighbor's backyard and just as much wear. 

But hey, if Ainge can get Prince or Bettier for Daniels, and can make the salaries work, great. But isn't it hard to picture the other teams going for that deal?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Bring Troy Murphy to Boston Already:
    [QUOTE]I'm all for upgrading ONE of our two weakest bench spots. I think Nate and 'Quis are not quite the elite reserves a 65 win champion needs. Since West looked so good with Nate briefly... w/ Nate so comfortable when he can guard PG's but play SG.... I have been mostly saying a deal to turn 'Quis into more of that rugged Posey type (Battier, Prince, Pose himself) should be the only real move. If you can upgrade Nate to Morrow, a better shooter and defender of SG's (simply b/c he is not 5'8") then you do it in a heartbeat, but NJ wouldn't, as I said before. I'd love to trade Nate, JON, Bradley AND our '12 1st rd pick for Prince (all that '12 salary intake worth Avery and a pick?) or for Iguodala (would Avery/pick and saving 30 million be worth tradng a 17p 6r 1.5s athlete to run w/ Rondo ages 27-30 within the division?) but maybe Nate will again be great with DWest back in 3-4 weeks and we can make a little trade like 'Quis and a 2nd rd pick for Grant Hill....
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I think there are some spare parts, young guys and future picks that could go somewhere to get this team a guy like Posey or Prince.  At this point, some combination of Nate, Bradley and a pick may get the C's something they need.  Wish someone would take JON, but isn't he signed to the MLE next year too?  The way I look at it, Dumars owes us for getting him Rasheed and putting the Pistons over the top, so he should hand over Prince and take a pick/young guy for the trouble!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I would kiss P34 if we could get Morrow...and that's saying ALOT!

I think Murphy may be headed to Orlando.

I'm not sure Boston really has a place for Murphy unless you unload BBD. I would keep BBD in that case. (did I say that)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

No trades.....the Celtics should stay the course!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

This move might make sense if, and only if, Perk does not return healthy.  If Perk is ok, then Murphy only plays at the expense of BBD which I don't see happening.  Murphy might be a better rebounder but BBD has shown an ability to hit the 17'J, ability to play in big moments, is an EXCELLENT help defender, and is simply much more mobile than Murphy.  If one thinks that Murphy is better than BBD, then offer BBD for him - which would be much mroe enticing than JON at this moment.  If I am the Nets why do I give up an expiring contract & an excellent perimeter shooter and have to take on JON's future cost adn downgrade from Morrow to Wafer...? don't think this makes much sense from either side...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

No other team is breaking down the Net's door to get him....why should the C's? C's need Delonte to get back on the court and bring Rasheed in for JON....that's what really needed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

What's funny to me is that everyone keeps saying "wait until Perk and West come back". We have no idea what that's going to look like because we've never seen it. Since when are West and Perk the calvary?? LOL!

If it was KG and Rondo that were out I could see the concerns going away. All NBA contenders are trying to get better and with the way I've seen us struggle to beat below .500 teams I don't think Ainge should just sit around waiting on the calvary.

Sure you probably don't make a move right now. I think it is important to get West and Perk back in the fold at least 3 weeks before the deadline to see what the final product really looks like on the court with time to still make moves if necessary.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

Bias - At least in my post, and I think in most, it is not that they are the cavalry, but there is no need to make decisions right now that would be completely unnecessary if either/both come back healthy.  I agree totally, wait another 3 weeks before making a move unless some no-brainer.. Battier for Nate or some other unlikey scenario pops up...  We however, will run up agains the trade dealine in a month...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Are we kidding with this post?   Let's see, the guy's never been a winner.   He averages something like 4 points a game and 4 rebounds.  He's not a particularly good passer.  He is not fast and is not a good defender.  He doesn't shoot well (35% or so).   For a older, slower team like the Celtics, why do we want another slow, nonshooting guy who can't play D?  Let's either get someone who can rebound or shoot or is athletic or has some redeeming value! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bring Troy Murphy to Boston Already : I think there are some spare parts, young guys and future picks that could go somewhere to get this team a guy like Posey or Prince.  At this point, some combination of Nate, Bradley and a pick may get the C's something they need.  Wish someone would take JON, but isn't he signed to the MLE next year too?  The way I look at it, Dumars owes us for getting him Rasheed and putting the Pistons over the top, so he should hand over Prince and take a pick/young guy for the trouble!  
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

right you are... i've mentioned the Dumars owing us thing in the past... paying JON and Nate 10.5m next year is tough to swollow tho.

Pose, as much as everyone wants to say he is 'washed up' makes the same $ we owe JO thru next season and would seem to do more good for this team than him if it is a stright swap.

We have 3 Centers beyong JO and the Pacers have 3 SF's beyond Pose

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

A guy making 12 mil a year is pipe dream to begin with.  The fact that he is a non-impact player is even more absurd.  If you mentioned this guy as a pick up that would require little in trade and salary of course he would be a possibility.  But he is not so let's move on.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]What's funny to me is that everyone keeps saying "wait until Perk and West come back". We have no idea what that's going to look like because we've never seen it. Since when are West and Perk the calvary?? LOL! If it was KG and Rondo that were out I could see the concerns going away. All NBA contenders are trying to get better and with the way I've seen us struggle to beat below .500 teams I don't think Ainge should just sit around waiting on the calvary. Sure you probably don't make a move right now. I think it is important to get West and Perk back in the fold at least 3 weeks before the deadline to see what the final product really looks like on the court with time to still make moves if necessary.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I agree with some of what you say and disagree with some of what you say.

When Perk went down most posters / fans thought the sky had finally fallen and that there was no way to ever replace Perk.  So what did Danny do?  He went out and got two guys that (when healthy) are both better than Perk.  We have been reading here for what seems like a century that Perk is some sort of potential all-star defensive blah blah blah and have come to realize that the oldest guy in the league (Shaq) and a guy who appears to be the oldest guy in the league (Jermaine) are both better and if they are both healthy it would not matter one iota if Perk ever came back.

On the other hand, in the games where Rondo was out (minus the games where KG was also out) the Cs have a better winning percentage.

It is my opinion that, when healthy, the Cs are no worse off with D West as the point guard.

I heard the interview with the WEEI player of the week yesterday - it was Nate.  Either Holley or Dale asked Nate how his point guard skills have improved this year and he said "playing with KG, Ray, Paul, and Shaq make playing point guard a lot easier"......  when Rondo was in high school his starting teammates had already been designated to arrive in Springfield someday.  Rondo does not make them better, so I am of the opinion that West would be just fine as the starting point guard.  He gets to the rim, can shoot from the floor, can shoot from 3, can shoot from the line, can pass, and is a gutty defender.  He would actually be part of the offense after passing the ball whereas Rondo passes the ball and hides in the corner although oddly enough keeps calling for the ball as if anyone on the floor thinks he would actually make a shot if the ball ever got back to him. 

Re. Troy Murphy - add another player better than Perk?  Why not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Dudder, I'm shocked at this statement: It is my opinion that, when healthy, the Cs are no worse off with D West as the point guard.

I had to read it twice to make sure it was you. I can't believe you wrote that. West is in no way near the PG that Rondo is. Rondo has his faults but West couldn't hold down a spot in Cleveland. He should've walked in there and moved MoWill over to SG but he couldn't do it.

West is a solid backup PG with the ability to shoot. He can't create like Rondo and isn't the floor general Rondo is either. His shot is better and on defense Rondo has bad habits but gets away with it because of his quick hands and feet. West has never played steady enough to make an All Defensive team.

Would the team be 32-9 or better with West as the starting PG. I seriously doubt it. If you put Rondo on the Cavs last year they are running and getting more people involved than LeBron and 4 other guys.

There's a reason West has not stuck anywhere.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]Also they only passed on Murphy twice, and only blew it once since Joe Johnson was/is clearly a far better player. I wanted Joe Johnson OR Rich Jefferson with the 10th pick that year. Obviously after the stupid Mercer for Fortson trade (although Ron was about to get hurt and his career end) Pierce needed a running mate and could play the 3 w/ JJ or the 2 w/ RJ. At 11 why on EARTH do you pick Kederick Brown over Murphy. You now have 2 elite wings for a decade in Pierce and Johnson. Grab a big man who can rebound when Antoine plays outside or hit the long J when Battie plays inside? By the time we idiotically passed on Tony Parker at #17 or 19 or whatever it was, Murphy was gone. Then we had to trade Johnson for Delk and Rodney. Granted they helped us get to the East finals... but their impact would have been similar to having Murphy/Parker off the bench all year and we'd have saved a '02 1st rd pick. Ugh... 10 years in June and I can't get over the '01 draft
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Don't you wish in 05, Danny had called out Monta Ellis instead of Gerald Green. If we only new then what we know now!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]A guy making 12 mil a year is pipe dream to begin with.  The fact that he is a non-impact player is even more absurd.  If you mentioned this guy as a pick up that would require little in trade and salary of course he would be a possibility.  But he is not so let's move on.  
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Contracts like that are one of the reasons that the negotiations between the players' union and the league are going nowhere.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Bring Troy Murphy to Boston Already

[QUOTE]Dudder, I'm shocked at this statement: It is my opinion that, when healthy, the Cs are no worse off with D West as the point guard. I had to read it twice to make sure it was you. I can't believe you wrote that. West is in no way near the PG that Rondo is. Rondo has his faults but West couldn't hold down a spot in Cleveland. He should've walked in there and moved MoWill over to SG but he couldn't do it. West is a solid backup PG with the ability to shoot. He can't create like Rondo and isn't the floor general Rondo is either. His shot is better and on defense Rondo has bad habits but gets away with it because of his quick hands and feet. West has never played steady enough to make an All Defensive team. Would the team be 32-9 or better with West as the starting PG. I seriously doubt it. If you put Rondo on the Cavs last year they are running and getting more people involved than LeBron and 4 other guys. There's a reason West has not stuck anywhere.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

West was the back up point guard in Cleveland to the best point guard in the league - LeBron.

Mo Williams was a 2 playing the point.

The Cs have a better record without Rondo (when you exclude the games that KG was also out).  Cedric Maxwell said "no offense to Rondo but the Cs move the ball better without him".

It is my opinion that Rondo cannot be any more overrated than anyone could come up with.

There is no point guard in the league that plays with as much talent.  And in my opinon yes - the Cs would be no worse off with West as the starting point guard.  Brooks embarrassed Rondo off the floor last week otherwise the Cs would be looking at winning 6 straight at home (assuming they win tonight and I think they will).

Look around the league - you see point guards shooting 46% from the field, 40% from 3, and 85% from the line.  Rondo avoids shooting from the field, avoids shooting from 3, an avoids shooting from the line.

He puts tremendous pressure on the rest of his teammates to score and his on the ball defense is vastly overrated in my opinion.

I continue to believe and always will that with any number of other more traditional point guards the Cs would be no worse off and in many cases a lot better.  With West they are no worse off in my opinion.

When your team loses its best player (KG) does the GREAT point guard step up and take over the team?  Nope... scores 10 points and makes sure he gets his assists but during that stretch he doesn't get all of his assists because KG is not there to make jumpers - Davis is there and doesn't make as many jumpers so Rondo does not get as many assists or there is an extra pass and a better shot and then Rondo does not get the assist.  Does his scoring average go up?  Nope.  Does the team keep winning?  Nope.  Notice how in some of those games Rondo's scoring average did not go up and his assists were not in double digits.  

The thing that most posters / fans / bloggers simply cannot analyze or grasp is that nobody in the league plays with as much talent as Rondo and as a result Rondo is vastly and almost immeasurably overrated.  Give Jrue Holiday Shaq, PP, Ray, and KG and they keep winning - unless of course why would you want a guy that shoots 44% from the floor, 40% from 3, and 80% from the line.

As I have said a million times there are at least a dozen point guards in the league who could step in and the Cs would be no worse off and in a lot of cases a lot better.  Give up a little defense?  Maybe.  Get a lot more on offense?  Absolutely.

West not making an all defense team is largely irrelevant if his offense more than makes up for it.  West cannot create his own shot?  Rondo is one of the worst finishers in the league.  And he is given wide open shots on just about every possession and very rarely takes them and just about every time given them, he misses.  If West was given those uncontested jumpers he would average 25 points per game but he would actually be guarded so it is impossible to tell whether he can create his own shot.  He does, however, get to the rim fairly often and when he does he shoots, gets fouled, and makes the freebies.  Rondo gets to the rim and misses from two feet or kicks it out to someone who is 20 feet away from the rim but also one of the greatest scorers in history.  Rondo being unable to finish and kicking the ball out to lesser players would have 6 or 8 fewer assists per game and the team would be a lot worse.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Bring Troy Murphy to Boston Already:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bring Troy Murphy to Boston Already : West was the back up point guard in Cleveland to the best point guard in the league - LeBron. Mo Williams was a 2 playing the point. The Cs have a better record without Rondo (when you exclude the games that KG was also out).  Cedric Maxwell said "no offense to Rondo but the Cs move the ball better without him". It is my opinion that Rondo cannot be any more overrated than anyone could come up with. There is no point guard in the league that plays with as much talent.  And in my opinon yes - the Cs would be no worse off with West as the starting point guard.  Brooks embarrassed Rondo off the floor last week otherwise the Cs would be looking at winning 6 straight at home (assuming they win tonight and I think they will). Look around the league - you see point guards shooting 46% from the field, 40% from 3, and 85% from the line.  Rondo avoids shooting from the field, avoids shooting from 3, an avoids shooting from the line. He puts tremendous pressure on the rest of his teammates to score and his on the ball defense is vastly overrated in my opinion. I continue to believe and always will that with any number of other more traditional point guards the Cs would be no worse off and in many cases a lot better.  With West they are no worse off in my opinion. When your team loses its best player (KG) does the GREAT point guard step up and take over the team?  Nope... scores 10 points and makes sure he gets his assists but during that stretch he doesn't get all of his assists because KG is not there to make jumpers - Davis is there and doesn't make as many jumpers so Rondo does not get as many assists or there is an extra pass and a better shot and then Rondo does not get the assist.  Does his scoring average go up?  Nope.  Does the team keep winning?  Nope.  Notice how in some of those games Rondo's scoring average did not go up and his assists were not in double digits.   The thing that most posters / fans / bloggers simply cannot analyze or grasp is that nobody in the league plays with as much talent as Rondo and as a result Rondo is vastly and almost immeasurably overrated.  Give Jrue Holiday Shaq, PP, Ray, and KG and they keep winning - unless of course why would you want a guy that shoots 44% from the floor, 40% from 3, and 80% from the line. As I have said a million times there are at least a dozen point guards in the league who could step in and the Cs would be no worse off and in a lot of cases a lot better.  Give up a little defense?  Maybe.  Get a lot more on offense?  Absolutely. West not making an all defense team is largely irrelevant if his offense more than makes up for it.  West cannot create his own shot?  Rondo is one of the worst finishers in the league.  And he is given wide open shots on just about every possession and very rarely takes them and just about every time given them, he misses.  If West was given those uncontested jumpers he would average 25 points per game but he would actually be guarded so it is impossible to tell whether he can create his own shot.  He does, however, get to the rim fairly often and when he does he shoots, gets fouled, and makes the freebies.  Rondo gets to the rim and misses from two feet or kicks it out to someone who is 20 feet away from the rim but also one of the greatest scorers in history.  Rondo being unable to finish and kicking the ball out to lesser players would have 6 or 8 fewer assists per game and the team would be a lot worse.   
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

All valid points in a way. I will just say that I don't believe the ball moves better when Rondo isn't in there. We clearly saw that when he was out.

I think people don't want to give Rondo his due because he's not scoring 20+ pts a game like DWill, Rose or Paul. The thing that people miss is he's ultra-competitive. When the playoffs start watch how his game just creates fits for the other teams. He's got some Alvin Robertson in him.

Tonight should be a good matchup. I always though DWill was the best PG in the league. He's big, can shoot and pass.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

we might could get murphy, but no way they're letting us have morrow for peanuts

Am I the only guy that thinks dwil looks a little out of shape, and doesn't play as well defensively toward the end of the game?