Bryant at it again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Bryant at it again

Who is in charge of his endorsement deals?  First the Black ops......and now this:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2010-12-16-4082577992_x.htm

I have many unhappy students this morning here in LA, who used to worship the guy...................stupid move on his part.  He needs to know his demographics.

I thought it might be appropriate after Pierce "flew" around MSG last night at the buzzer!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

Re: Bryant at it again

don't want to make of lamars wife mad, would we?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Hey, if someone approach you of a big business preposition, what will you do?
    Is Kobe needs to study the ancient history to accept the business offer?

Kobe just know how to play ball, make money, rape someone & he was a high school graduate....what do you expect?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Not sure why anyone's upset, or if they actually are (aside from the Armenian populace). The USA has relations with Turkey - why wouldn't Kobe?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Bryant at it again:
    Not sure why anyone's upset, or if they actually are (aside from the Armenian populace). The USA has relations with Turkey - why wouldn't Kobe?
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget

Kobe has relations with lots of people including a woman in Colorada.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In regards to that Turkish Airlines deal? I think the media are reporting on this just for the sake of reporting. Yes the Armenian issue is terrible. But every country has dirty laundry, not to condone what Turkey did. But if we're using Turkey as an example for being 'bad', then nobody would be doing sponsorship for any multinational corporation. Would there be a similar outcry if Bryant became the 'face' of Air China, Lufthansa (Germany), JAL (Japan) or Jat Airways (Serbia)? Bryant was chosen because his face is associated with Los Angeles. He is a marketable person in Turkey and this is why he was chosen, Turkish Airways flying daily to Los Angeles. Doesn’t really boggle the mind as to why Bryant was chosen by the airline. Beckham could have been chosen, but he's British and while Football is popular sport in Turkey, so is Basketball.

Other points; I don't believe 1915-1919 is in any way ancient history. That would mean the American Civil War would be classed as Ancient History as well? Maybe I'm mistaken but to me 'ancient' history is classical Greece, the Pharaohs of Egypt, Roman Empire etc. Basically the study of events from over a 1000 years ago. Maybe folks have a different definition of what is ancient.

Also to back up Bryant in regards to education. Yes he's a high school graduate, but he was also going to attend Duke. Which means that he does have some intelligence. Doesn't mean that he's necessarily 'clever' but he is 'book' smart.

I've always considered Duke to be one of the prestigious American Universities.

Black Ops is just a game. People have blamed everything from comic books, Rock 'n' Roll, movies and now electronic (only word I can think of to cover consol/hand held/PC) games for societies ills. (people even ripped into role playing games!) Personally I love gaming. In between playing 2K11 I'm playing Godfather (again). Been gaming since I was very young and I haven't felt the urge to hurt anyone after playing a game. Parents do need to monitor what their kids play though, certainly if they don't necessarily agree with the games content, but that goes for books, movies and music as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Black Ops is just a game. People have blamed everything from comic books, Rock 'n' Roll, movies and now electronic (only word I can think of to cover consol/hand held/PC) games for societies ills. (people even ripped into role playing games!) Personally I love gaming. In between playing 2K11 I'm playing Godfather (again). Been gaming since I was very young and I haven't felt the urge to hurt anyone after playing a game. Parents do need to monitor what their kids play though, certainly if they don't necessarily agree with the games content, but that goes for books, movies and music as well.
    Posted by RUWorthy

It all starts at home!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Sorry, Im still trying to follow... Is it that Kobe reps Black Ops and therefore because Armenian deaths occurred (some suggesting genocide) the connection is offensive?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Hedley, he already alienated part of his fan base (including me) after what happened in Colorado. What kind of percentage would you be talking about in regards to Armenians?

In the scheme of things I don't think he'd really care too much about this Armenian fan base at all. If the Airline was flying daily to LA from Turkey in 1987 they'd have gone after Magic Johnson. I really don't have any problem with it.

I just see this whole thing as being completely business for him. Plus the Airline wanted a recognisable face from someone in LA that an average Turkish Person may know.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I thougth it was a pretty cool commercial and I don't mind at all that he did it, personally.  It's a WAR game.  It's not grand theft auto.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Turkey's denial of its causing the Armenian genocide is shameful; but look at Japan, and it's mainly denial-based teaching/culture about its atrocities in Asia when it was an imperial empire and you see there is a lot of this total two-faced approach to truth. That's my heavy comment. On the lighter side, I wonder if Kobe would be in trouble with the Armenians if he just endorsed Turkish Taffy, nice product. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Turkey's denial of its causing the Armenian genocide is shameful; but look at Japan, and it's mainly denial-based teaching/culture about its atrocities in Asia when it was an imperial empire and you see there is a lot of this total two-faced approach to truth. That's my heavy comment. On the lighter side, I wonder if Kobe would be in trouble with the Armenians if he just endorsed Turkish Taffy, nice product. 
    Posted by futbal

The Armenian genocide happened 1915, that's 95 years ago. The atrocity and war crimes of the Japanese to fellow Asians  happened between 1937-45 and that's 73 years ago.
    How can you equate a modern NBA basketball ads vs the jurassic age of these atrocities? Just because of politically correct issue?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Hedley, he already alienated part of his fan base (including me) after what happened in Colorado. What kind of percentage would you be talking about in regards to Armenians? In the scheme of things I don't think he'd really care too much about this Armenian fan base at all. If the Airline was flying daily to LA from Turkey in 1987 they'd have gone after Magic Johnson. I really don't have any problem with it. I just see this whole thing as being completely business for him. Plus the Airline wanted a recognisable face from someone in LA that an average Turkish Person may know.
    Posted by RUWorthy

My whole point, exactly.  My kids idolize the guy and he doesn't care about them at all.  I try to tell them what kind of a "man" he is, and now, finally, after 3 years, they are starting to get it.
    Thanks for your thoughts, they are always welcome!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Bryant at it again : My whole point, exactly.  My kids idolize the guy and he doesn't care about them at all.  I try to tell them what kind of a "man" he is, and now, finally, after 3 years, they are starting to get it. Thanks for your thoughts, they are always welcome!
    Posted by hedleylamarr

the biggest mistake a kid can make is to idolize people who have never grown up...want an idol? find a single mother working to feed her kids...thats an idol

sports are sports...people take them too seriously

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

There is probably like 5 athletes in pro sports that are true role-models anyways.  Most have cheated on their wives, done/do drugs, party like crazy/ have body guards rough people up, yadda yadda.....  Kobe cares about Kobe, which is easy to see.  Jack is right.  People who live in the real world with real jobs are role-models.  Barkley said he wasn't a role model, and that goes for most if not all athletes.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In Response to Re: Bryant at it again : the biggest mistake a kid can make is to idolize people who have never grown up...want an idol? find a single mother working to feed her kids...thats an idol sports are sports...people take them too seriously
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

Exactly right! Well put.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

now i know he is an athlete...but i love alonzo mourning...the way he played the game, with such passion and fire...i mean he makes garnett look like he could care less...

but the real reason Zo is an idol is what he has done for the community in south florida...for kids, for the sick, and being a wonderful father figure to his kids and a good husband to his wife...if the world could replicate a thousand alonzo mourning's...the world would be a much, much better place

end rant

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

now i know he is an athlete...but i love alonzo mourning...the way he played the game, with such passion and fire...i mean he makes garnett look like he could care less... but the real reason Zo is an idol is what he has done for the community in south florida...for kids, for the sick, and being a wonderful father figure to his kids and a good husband to his wife...if the world could replicate a thousand alonzo mourning's...the world would be a much, much better place end rant
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

No player has ever expressed overtly the intensity that Garnett brings, and I think it is too a point that is ridiculous.  As a fan I love it, but it's even too much at times.  That's a credit to Garnett. 

However, I like your point.  He's a true role model. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

As much as you tell kids not to worship sports figures, they will anyway.  That is why they are kids.  Naturally,  a single mother working to feed her family is a hero.  I consider both of my parents my heroes.  However, we are talking sports here, not the real world.  It takes maturity to realize who the true heroes are.  Unfortunately teenagers do not possess this in abundance.  I hope we all understand my point is that we should NOT idolize koME, but many do.  And as much as I try to tell them, they do not listen.

Excluding athletes excludes them ALL, though, doesn't it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: Bryant at it again : The Armenian genocide happened 1915, that's 95 years ago. The atrocity and war crimes of the Japanese to fellow Asians  happened between 1937-45 and that's 73 years ago. How can you equate a modern NBA basketball ads vs the jurassic age of these atrocities? Just because of politically correct issue?
    Posted by CHEisCHE

So Abraham Lincoln was President during the Trassic Age?

Actually it wasn't just fellow Asians that the Japanese abused during WW2.

Have you read about the Thai/Burma Railway? From an Australian perspective 2600 Australian Servicemen were killed during it's construction. Mainly though the brutality of the Japanese.

You have the massacre at Radji Beach were 21 Australian Nurses were shot by Japanese soldiers.

Just the tip of a very large iceberg and it's a shame that the young people in Japan really are not taught about what their countrymen did during the second world war.

Yes, we move on from these events. But they should be taught to people in schools. Thank goodness I went to school that had a decent curriculum for Modern History.

I'd actually be worried for anyone in the United States who couldn't name the date of the Pearl Harbor attack. Or, just as bad, write it off as being insignificant to today's age.

The study of history is one the real luxuries that we have as a people/race. In studying, even ancient history, you'll see that humanity really hasn't changed from the birth of Christ to where we are today. Essentially people are the same. A walk around an ancient city such as Pompeii will show that.

Back to basketball.

Good points on the whole Role Models in sport. There are very few guys in the NBA who you would hold up as being role models. Most of them I'd say are just guys who are acting as most guys would in their situations. Doesn't make them bad people. Just not role models.

The guy who really springs to mind for me as being a decent human being is David Robinson. He comes across as a great man. A.C. Green is another favorite.

My parents are my role models. Had a couple of very good teachers at high school and there's a few other people I've met along the way who in my mind have really great qualities which would make me a better person if I was to emulate those qualities in some way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

As much as you tell kids not to worship sports figures, they will anyway.  That is why they are kids.  Naturally,  a single mother working to feed her family is a hero.  I consider both of my parents my heroes.  However, we are talking sports here, not the real world.  It takes maturity to realize who the true heroes are.  Unfortunately teenagers do not possess this in abundance.  I hope we all understand my point is that we should NOT idolize koME, but many do.  And as much as I try to tell them, they do not listen. Excluding athletes excludes them ALL, though, doesn't it?
    Posted by hedleylamarr

using basic psychology...the more you tell the little ones not to like someone, the more they like them...its definitely a pickle

if i were you, i would try pointing out the real heroes in america...maybe even show them the DC comics mural dedicated to the 9/11 responders where the justice league is looking up at the cops and firemen running into the WTC and the justice league stands in amazement at such bravery...i know its simplistic...but could help

heroes make the world a better place to live in...athletes, for the most part want to make the world a better place for them to live in

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Bryant at it again : So Abraham Lincoln was President during the Trassic Age? Actually it wasn't just fellow Asians that the Japanese abused during WW2. Have you read about the Thai/Burma Railway? From an Australian perspective 2600 Australian Servicemen were killed during it's construction. Mainly though the brutality of the Japanese. You have the massacre at Radji Beach were 21 Australian Nurses were shot by Japanese soldiers. Just the tip of a very large iceberg and it's a shame that the young people in Japan really are not taught about what their countrymen did during the second world war. Yes, we move on from these events. But they should be taught to people in schools. Thank goodness I went to school that had a decent curriculum for Modern History. I'd actually be worried for anyone in the United States who couldn't name the date of the Pearl Harbor attack. Or, just as bad, write it off as being insignificant to today's age. The study of history is one the real luxuries that we have as a people/race. In studying, even ancient history, you'll see that humanity really hasn't changed from the birth of Christ to where we are today. Essentially people are the same. A walk around an ancient city such as Pompeii will show that. ********** Back to basketball. Good points on the whole Role Models in sport. There are very few guys in the NBA who you would hold up as being role models. Most of them I'd say are just guys who are acting as most guys would in their situations. Doesn't make them bad people. Just not role models. The guy who really springs to mind for me as being a decent human being is David Robinson. He comes across as a great man. A.C. Green is another favorite. My parents are my role models. Had a couple of very good teachers at high school and there's a few other people I've met along the way who in my mind have really great qualities which would make me a better person if I was to emulate those qualities in some way.
    Posted by RUWorthy

thanks for adding these guys...david robinson is a navy man and a christian who played his heart out on the court...definitely one of those guys you root in all aspects of life because you know how hard he worked to improve the lives of those around him...my step bro worked as a waiter in san antonio that a lot of the spurs would frequent and said really the whole team followed robinson's example...they were all kind to the staff(after either a win or a loss), they tipped well, and they treated the fans in the restaurant with respect that he felt was "supernatural" for million dollar athletes to mix in with the everyday folks so well

a.c. green is a heck of a guy too...played the game the right way and always showed up, ready to work

Sections
Shortcuts