Build Through The Draft

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Re: Build Through The Draft

In response to Fierce34's comment:

That's the only way.

Big name free-agents are not coming to Boston. Even CP3 declined to come to Boston last season.

Boston is not a city that's attractive to superstar players.

So the only way is through the draft. Just like what OKC did.

The Celts can start in this year's draft by moving up, getting into the lottery. Getting a guy Shabazz would certainly be good start for the rebuilding process.

How do they move up? And even if they could why would they go for Shabazz?  He may end up a surprise but he was just above mediocre at UCLA...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

which teams in recent history built their championship thru the draft?

The Spurs are the only ones I know of.  That was pure luck of Robinson being out all season and they got lucky and got Duncan.

Players move around too much these days.  There are only a few competitive teams now that built their teams mostly thru the draft.  Chicago and the Thunder.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

The Spurs are the only ones I know of.  That was pure luck of Robinson being out all season and they got lucky and got Duncan.

Players move around too much these days.  There are only a few competitive teams now that built their teams mostly thru the draft.  Chicago and the Thunder.

Besides the Thunder and the Bulls, the Heat got Wade with the #5 pick of the 2003 Draft and Dirk taken by Dallas #9 in 1998.

Remember, Wade won a championship without Lebron.

Like I said, Boston is not a city that's as attractive as LA or NY.

Let's be realistic, the Celts never got big name free-agents before KG and Ray came to Boston to join Pierce. And KG and Ray were acquired through trades.

If the Celts didn't become the 2nd worst team in the league in 2007, no #5 pick, no Ray, thus no KG!

Wade won a championship because they traded for Shaq.

Your naming one player on a team.  Thats not building thru the draft.  Thats just getting one player.  The Mavs got their players thru trades as well.  None of the teams your mentioning actually built thru the draft unless you count getting a superstar.  That doesn't happen very often.  Like I said name me some teams that built thru the draft.  Just doesn't happen much these days.  Players move very often from team to team.  Trades and free agents are the way to build a team,  along with getting lucky with some draft picks.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Here:

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8109155/sources-boston-celtics-making-push-trade-austin-rivers

The Boston Celtics are making an 11th-hour push to put themselves in position to draft Duke star Austin Rivers, son of Celtics coach Doc Rivers, according to sources with knowledge of Boston's plans.

Sources say Boston would be willing to part with both their Nos. 21 and 22 picks, but it's believed that teams in the top 10 want more than that. And the Celtics, sources say, are struggling to offer more because they refuse to include promising guard Avery Bradley in draft-night trade talks and lack other assets to sweeten the pot.

I guess I don't see your point.  Getting Rivers would have been horrible at this point.  Sullinger may turn out to be the better player.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Unless Perk is amnestied!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Besides the Thunder and the Bulls, the Heat got Wade with the #5 pick of the 2003 Draft and Dirk taken by Dallas #9 in 1998.

Remember, Wade won a championship without Lebron.

Like I said, Boston is not a city that's as attractive as LA or NY.

Let's be realistic, the Celts never got big name free-agents before KG and Ray came to Boston to join Pierce. And KG and Ray were acquired through trades.

If the Celts didn't become the 2nd worst team in the league in 2007, no #5 pick, no Ray, thus no KG!

I think Shackster had something to do with it too...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

So we have no assets to trade with huh? What are these?

Rondo

Lee

Terry

Green

Bass

Sullinger

Bradley

Crawford

Melo (???)

KG

Pierce

#1 Draft Pick

there's not a lot of value to other teams there.  at the SLOW rate that good rebounders come along, i'd hang onto sullinger.  by the end of his rook contract, we'll know if he'll be a constant injury or a reliable player.

sadly, rondo and his career 61% free throws (horrid for a PG) is probably your best trade bait.  you might be able to trick a team into taking some other parts- terry or bass to get the $$ up and get the return up.

let pierce and kg walk.  it's over.  that frees up a lot of cap space.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

That's the only way.

Big name free-agents are not coming to Boston. Even CP3 declined to come to Boston last season.

The Celts can start in this year's draft by moving up, getting into the lottery. Getting a guy Shabazz would certainly be good start for the rebuilding process.

I thought big name players wanted to play for Doc? ROFL

Also, the only championship the Celtics have won in the last 27 years was built thru trades. Until the KG/RA era, we didnt sniff a title.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

That's the only way.

For the Celtics to realistically rebuild through the draft, the team will probably have to tank for several seasons to assure itself of high draft picks. I don't think the present ownership wants to go that route.

Danny Ainge needs to take a closer and more serious look at international players. Europe, in particular, has proven to be good source of bigs and guards with sound basketball fundamentals. Many good players from Brazil, Argentina and Australia have emerged as well. As basketball continues to gain popularity worldwide, even more talent will emerge. DA can do much better than recruiting from the Chinese basketball league. The Spurs have continued to be relevant in the latter stages of the Duncan era because of smart recruiting.

Celtics cannot realistically hope to trade for talent unless they are willing to sacrifice players in return. We can't expect other teams to simply accept our "rejects"in trades. Celtics have to be willing to give up someone of value to get value in return. For example, Avery Bradley, as great as he is on defense, has been inconsistent on offense the entire season. He has also shown that he cannot play the PG position well. When playing alongside Rondo, the Celtics have probably the shortest starting guard combination in the league. In this case, DA should seriously consider using Bradley's value as a defender to trade for someone that fills a more acute need of the team.

I think that the new salary cap limits options of free agents. Marquee free agents may not have Boston as a primary destination on their radars, but if the money is available to them in Boston, it is unlikely that a professional athlete will turn down a lucrative contract simply because of the weather.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Drafting is not the way to unless you want to really bad for 10 years and hope to be good for a couple. You need to be aggressive and made trades. If I was DA and their was a glimmer of hope to get Griffin with oit giving up Green or Rondo, I do it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Griffin provides alot of espn highlights but I dont view him as an elite player or takeover type player..  We need a go-to guy..Griffin not the answer imo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Ainge already went to Greece to check out this guy:

http://nbadraft.net/players/giannis-adetokoubo

Celts don't have to tank. Just don't sign washed up guys like Xavier McDaniel, Dominique Wilkins, a soone to be 36-year old Pierce, and a turning 37 KG this month.

Just get players that are young. Don't try to make the playoffs every year by signing old washed up players then try to fight for the 7th or 8th seed, hoping to get lucky in the playoffs. That's a waste of time!

[/QUOTE]
    Yes, Ainge was in Greece, but so were at least a half-dozen other NBA GMs. If this is a start to more serious and intensive foreign recruitment by DA, then I'm all for it. DA will also need to enlist better scouts. Recruting foreign players, however, will be useless if the coach won't play them.

I agree in getting players that are young and athletic. I think the Celtics should also recruit for size. Offensive ability should also be given preference. It is easier to teach an offensive player to play defense than it is to teach a primarily defensive player to score. Offense scores points and wins games.

Sections
Shortcuts