Bynum and Gasol both injured

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Bynum and Gasol both injured

Ru worthy,
    You are a reasonable Laker fan.  Magic was by far the greatest Laker.  Kobe is not even close to him.

The Celtics and Lakers of the eighties would have beaten any of the teams with ease that  have come after them.  The Bulls would not have had a chance against either team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Ms Lithium, I want to respond to the statistic you cite:  "Legally speaking, the false reporting rate for rape is about 2%"

There is a confounding variable to consider, and that is the fact that Kobe is a multimillionaire superstar.  I'm sure if you could take that into consideration in the sample (and you likely couldn't get a big enough pool) then the numbers would be considerably different. 

This girl had much more to gain from the situation than the average girl would in the average situation.  Beyond that, all the circumstances to me added up to a setup.  Obviously the courts agreed.

I say that and I'm no kobe fan by any means.  But I really think he was guilty of stupidity more than rape.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomic. Show atomic's posts

kobe has something that magic, bird, jordan et al never had...quitting on his team in the playoffs a few years back against phoenix (look it up) and pushing hard for a trade out of L.A. prior to gasols arrival. i understand rooting for your hometwon team, but i would never be able to stomach someone as unlikeable as bryant being the figurehead for my team.

kobe is the posterboy for selfish.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Significant star calls first made their appearance with Michael Jordan, and as a result, every accolade that he ever had is tainted as much or more than steroids in Baseball.

The NBA started to market stars after the success that Bird and Magic brought to the NBA. The results were not beyond reproach.

Jordan did become more of a team player in later years, but that was after the great Celtic, Laker, and Detroit teams had declined. I saw Jordan play first hand in person, more than once, and the phantom calls he used to get would embarrass even Kevin Durant.

Jordan was a great talent, the rest is questionable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbrann. Show mbrann's posts

Sorry -- you can't put Jordan in front of Magic, Russell and the big 0. I might let you put Jordan next to Bird...maybe. Kobe comes in the next tier after those guys.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

If Kobe played for the Celtics, im sure all of you guys would still feel the same way about him!!  I don't like him, because he plays for the Lakers, but i have sense enough to know he is at least a top 10 player of all time, and more then likely a top 5!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

In Response to Re: Bynum and Gasol both injured:
    [QUOTE] If Kobe played for the Celtics, im sure all of you guys would still feel the same way about him!!  I don't like him, because he plays for the Lakers, but i have sense enough to know he is at least a top 10 player of all time, and more then likely a top 5!!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]
    Of course. That's a given. You'll recall just a few years ago the Lakers were doing everything in their power to bring KG to Los Angeles and the second he signed with the Celtics he became a hated player among fans here.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I thought this thread was about Bynum and Gasol.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

[QUOTE]that's a pretty thoughtful post, elias. what about diminished capacity to excel? are you picking up on any sort of decrease in his ability to carry his giant share of the lakers' workload?
    Posted by BaileyPowe[/QUOTE]

Yes. I don't think he has the capacity to excel any longer. At this point in his career it's all downhill. That said, because he is obsessive of the game and very competetive, he will challenge himself to compete at the highest level possible to the very end. With all of his injuries and all the miles he has on his body, he should be averaging 18 to 20 ppg with a slightly better shooting percentange and fewer minutes but we're not talking about the average player, with all of his shortcomings he is still probably the hardest working player the league has ever seen. His point total has and will continue to decrease but again at a slower rate than the average player. Fortunately for him he has great players surrounding him, fortunately for them, they still have him around even if just for 2 or 3 more years.

Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

First of all, Jerry West (yes, he was the GM for the Lakers and the Grizzlies at the same time) was better than Kobe; could do everything Kobe could do and was a team player and leader; MVP in a losing Championship series (to some team from Beantown). I'd even take Hondo over Kobe and certainly Sam Jones. Since the Big O was technically a point guard, I'll exclude him, but if included he's the best of the bunch including Jordan. I've seen West, Hondo and Big O play live but only Sam Jones on film clips but it's obviuos this list (like the NFL networks top 100 for example) suffers from bias that current players are better than historic ones. Not true! Lakers fans in particular should know that West was a better basketballer than Kobe.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]Ms Lithium, I want to respond to the statistic you cite:  "Legally speaking, the false reporting rate for rape is about 2%" There is a confounding variable to consider, and that is the fact that Kobe is a multimillionaire superstar.  I'm sure if you could take that into consideration in the sample (and you likely couldn't get a big enough pool) then the numbers would be considerably different.  This girl had much more to gain from the situation than the average girl would in the average situation.  Beyond that, all the circumstances to me added up to a setup.  Obviously the courts agreed. I say that and I'm no kobe fan by any means.  But I really think he was guilty of stupidity more than rape.
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]

In 100% agreement. And to be honest, if you SAW the girl that he had a fling with....my goodness! That alone should raise doubts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In Response to Bynum and Gasol both injured:
    [QUOTE]The Los Angeles Lakers had their nine-game winning streak snapped today with a 95-90 loss at Staples Center to the Denver Nuggets. Danilo Gallinari had 22 points to lead a balanced Denver scoring attack, which had four players score in double figures and three players score 16 or more points. Kobe Bryant led the Lakers with 28 points in defeat. The game was tied at 69-69 after three quarters, but Denver outscored the Lakers 26-21 in the final period. Both Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum had monster games on the boards, but both hurt their right knee. Bynum, who had 16 rebounds and two blocks, tweaked his knee but told Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register, " Same thing, but I'm all right." Gasol, however, will undergo an MRI exam on Monday, per Mike Trudell of NBA.com http://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-angeles-lakers/2011/4/3/2089063/lakers-vs-nuggets-nba-pau-gasol-knee-injury-mri-danilo-gallinari-kobe-bryant
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In Response to Bynum and Gasol both injured:
    [QUOTE]The Los Angeles Lakers had their nine-game winning streak snapped today with a 95-90 loss at Staples Center to the Denver Nuggets. Danilo Gallinari had 22 points to lead a balanced Denver scoring attack, which had four players score in double figures and three players score 16 or more points. Kobe Bryant led the Lakers with 28 points in defeat. The game was tied at 69-69 after three quarters, but Denver outscored the Lakers 26-21 in the final period. Both Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum had monster games on the boards, but both hurt their right knee. Bynum, who had 16 rebounds and two blocks, tweaked his knee but told Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register, " Same thing, but I'm all right." Gasol, however, will undergo an MRI exam on Monday, per Mike Trudell of NBA.com http://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-angeles-lakers/2011/4/3/2089063/lakers-vs-nuggets-nba-pau-gasol-knee-injury-mri-danilo-gallinari-kobe-bryant
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]
    About time.They have been inry free all seasson,except to couple scrubs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Back to basketball. My take is Kobe is a one of a kind type of player. He's in the hall of fame someday. I give him that much. His problem is his "likeableness." His media image is crude to rude which creates a very unlikeable persona.

On the other subject. The incident itself is horrifying. It lingers, things like that don't go away. That's all I have to say about beside thank you Mslithium21 that was on of the best post I've ever seen. It was moving.  

Back to basketball. This time of year the injuries start to multiply. relax the second season is coming and that is very healing in its self.      

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Hard  to know much about the rape accusation but I agree with those that place Kobe well down the list of greatest of all time.

I still have trouble with those discounting Russell, who imo is easily the greatest that ever lived... not even a contest.  Sometimes people mistake great skills for great players.  Russells resume cant be touched.

Wins 2 NCAA titles in final 2 years at SF.

Wins Olympic Gold.

Wins 11 NBA championships in 13 years (prob 12 of 13 if not for injury)

Wins 2 NBA championships in two years as head coach.

He changed the game of basketball..

The only issue people have with Russell is too many have never seen him play... only highlight reels. They cant experience the moment... just like watching a game on tape that you already know the outcome... it loses lots of lustre when its not live and you  dont know whats gonna happen next and you feel the pressure.

How does Jordan figure ahead of Russell??

Jordan was great, no doubt... and on both ends of the court.  Hes had lots of bad shooting nights but when it counted, he was awesome.  Six titles in what, 12 years or something???   I dont know but very impressive...

Both players were clearly the leaders of their teams...

For their era's, Russell's  Celtics had far tougher competition for their titles than Jordans teams did imo. 

I just think as time goes by, memories fade and we crown a new king far too easily..

As it relates to Kobe, I'd take Magic in a blink of an eye if I had the choice of great lakers... West also. Yea, Ive seen him play... The Big O, to me, was the best guard Ive ever seen... just knew he could score whenever he wanted and had such control.. 

I just dont see how Kobe fits into this group...mainly because hes got 5 titles... but he wasnt like MJ, Larry & Magic... they were the clear leaders of their teams...Kobe wasnt... Shaq was for the 3peat, no doubt..  Kobe is getting all the credit for the latest 2 titles but I just dont see it..

He stunk it up in the last finals... Gasol easily the best player on the court for them... yet Kobe gets the MVP... ridiculous

Eve Shaq deserves mention above Kobe

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bynum and Gasol both injured : Not the same calibre as Jordan by a long shot. However I rate Magic above both Jordan and Bryant. Russell is the greatest player IMO. But to me there are a lot of guys who in my mind can lay claim to number two on that list.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]
    Magic would be my 1st pick If I could start a team. He was a freak and dominated a game even when he didnt score.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bynum and Gasol both injured : Magic would be my 1st pick If I could start a team. He was a freak and dominated a game even when he didnt score.
    Posted by genaro008[/QUOTE]

As far as Lakers go, Id take Magic #1 easily. Magic would also be in the conversation when discussing who to pick out of everyone to start a team.

Look at this thread and see all the great players mentioned... whenever the conversation gets going about this subject, one thing always sticks out to me...

You rarely hear Tim Duncan or Shaqs name mentioned.  I think Duncan is the forgetton guy cause hes in SA.... and hes the quiet type.

Shaq is just not brought up in these discussions... but I bet after hes retired for awhile his legend grows a bit in this area

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Timmy for sure as my power forward, unbelievable desire to win (which I have to give credit to Kobe for, too), a real Mister Clutch (more like West than Kobe who does tend to choke some). Shaq still wants to grow his legend, he's not done and I think he wants to school Bynum and put a good shot on Kobe before this year is all done. Go Celtics! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

ANYONE HAVE ANY NEWS ON THE LLAMA AND HIS KNEE?????

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE] I still have trouble with those discounting Russell, who imo is easily the greatest that ever lived... not even a contest.  Sometimes people mistake great skills for great players.  Russells resume cant be touched. Wins 2 NCAA titles in final 2 years at SF. Wins Olympic Gold. Wins 11 NBA championships in 13 years (prob 12 of 13 if not for injury) Wins 2 NBA championships in two years as head coach. He changed the game of basketball.. The only issue people have with Russell is too many have never seen him play... only highlight reels. They cant experience the moment... just like watching a game on tape that you already know the outcome... it loses lots of lustre when its not live and you  dont know whats gonna happen next and you feel the pressure. How does Jordan figure ahead of Russell??
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Marketing and that the average person has a very short memory when it comes to sports stars.

Jordan had the advantage of playing in recent times when there was much more exposure for players on national TV and the press. The NBA was really in it's infancy when Russell was dominating, there just wasn't the same level of public attention for the game.

In 20 years time perhaps Jordan will have been forgotten as his feats will have faded from the general consciousness of your average basketball fan. Much like Russells feats seem to have.

Russells statistics should speak for themselves when it comes to who is the best basketball player of all time. It's no fluke that he won in college, the Olympics and won multiple titles in the NBA.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

All I have to say is...if there was a NATIONAL poll on who the BEST player ever is, I have NO DOUBT Jordan would win hands down.

I know we all have our opinions on who the greatest player is, but the majority of people in the U.S. AND the world can't be wrong.

Jordan was such a dominant player, one team had to make up their own defensive philosophy to stop him...

JORDAN RULES...remember that? I also remember he dropped 60+ points on the Celtics, even though in a losing effort. He didn't have the right players and offensive gameplan in the 80's, until Phil came along with the Triangle Offense.

Jordan would be MY guy to start a team with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_5vrLW8rw

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Its all marketing. Jordan is the recipient.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]Kobe is a fierce competitor. But he's human and is playing with a slew of injuries, one major. He should have shut it down last year and gotten an operation on his finger but he didn't want to take any time off. As for Kobe having a huge ego--name me a super star who doesn't have an ego? Whether he/she be a celebrity or sports figure. Does anyone not believe that Paul Pierce, "Bron" James or Carmelo Anthony don't have egos? Kobe can't practice with the team because of a seriously damaged knee that has little to no cartilage left (it's bone on bone). Yet, he gives it his all in spite of the fact that he shoots far too often. Knowledgeable L.A. fans respect Kobe's competitiveness and contributions to championships but are critical when he goes off on his own. His shooting percentage is off because of that lack of practice time. That being said, I'm glad that Kobe is a Laker and not on another team. As for the rape accusation on this board, I guess that's what some opposing fans need to use as another way of denigrating a great player from an opposing team. That case was thrown out by the judge because there was no case against Bryant. Only the real haters will continue to erroneously believe that Kobe raped a woman who had semen samples from multiple men when given a physical and waited days after the encounter to charge rape. That's probably the most emotionally charged accusation that a white woman accuses a black man of-- RAPE. If Kobe were a rapist, there would have already been other women coming out charging him with such behavior. If the evidence was air-tight, does anyone believe that this case would not have gone forward? The primary accusor's credibility was shot.
    Posted by rsalas67m[/QUOTE]

Here's one with no ego:  David Robinson.  Arguably Tim Duncan. 

Part of the reason Robinson is one of the 50 greatest of all time is due to his lack of ego. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]All I have to say is...if there was a NATIONAL poll on who the BEST player ever is, I have NO DOUBT Jordan would win hands down. I know we all have our opinions on who the greatest player is, but the majority of people in the U.S. AND the world can't be wrong. Jordan was such a dominant player, one team had to make up their own defensive philosophy to stop him... JORDAN RULES...remember that? I also remember he dropped 60+ points on the Celtics, even though in a losing effort. He didn't have the right players and offensive gameplan in the 80's, until Phil came along with the Triangle Offense. Jordan would be MY guy to start a team with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_5vrLW8rw
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]

That's really funny, Waynestarr......if the world THINKS it, then they can't be wrong huh.  It starts with the majority of people thinking the world was flat and goes to the majority of people thinking Sandra Levy was murdered by that Senator.  THEY WERE WRONG!   Come on, man....you can't really believe what you said - that the world can't be wrong!

Jordan benefitted from Larry and Magic battling it out and bringing the NBA into prominance so that he could be the media darling after they got it started.  As evidenced by Lebron's thinking that Jordan is the greatest, the younger generation doesn't even know how great Russell, Oscar, West, etc were and have almost forgotten how great Magic and Bird were.  

And one day, your grandkids will think Kimba Walker or Lebron or someone like that is the greatest that ever played. Is all about who the media is promoting at the time.

Sections
Shortcuts