Bynum and Gasol both injured

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Re: Bynum and Gasol both injured

Amen

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Bynum and Gasol both injured:
    [QUOTE] If Kobe played for the Celtics, im sure all of you guys would still feel the same way about him!!  I don't like him, because he plays for the Lakers, but i have sense enough to know he is at least a top 10 player of all time, and more then likely a top 5!!
    Posted by kyceltic[/QUOTE]

A top 10, yes.  A top 5...a HUGE stretch.  Top of the list - no way.  Michael is not even at that level when compared to Russell, Oscar, Wilt, Magic, and Larry.  I rate Michael behind them and Kobe behind Jordan.  Many forget that Michael got waxed regularly for YEARS by the Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons and as mentioned in another post, only after those franchises aged out and after the league expanded (ie. LOTS of weak teams) did Jordan have dominance on the team level.

The real issue here is that there's just no way to measure people across different basketball generations.  Russell was, to me, the greatest basketball player to EVER play the game.  He was the most intelligent and intellectual coach, leader and basketball athlete combined in one body that the world has ever seen.  Jordan could not win against the Celtics, Lakers, and Pistons early in his career - but Russell made champions out of his college and pro teams THE MOMENT HE STEPPED ON THE COURT.   But, how can I ever prove I'm right or someone else ever prove me wrong?  Its impossible because opinions cannot generally be proven right or wrong.  

Kobe - top 10 and that's as high as I'll go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Top Ten ... Hmm

...not players that cram the stat sheet, but have been more instrumental to winning than others. Some won lots of rings, and some did not.

Russell, Bird, Magic, Duncan, Jerry West, Jordan, Havlicek, Shaq, KG, the big O.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bynum and Gasol both injured : That's really funny, Waynestarr......if the world THINKS it, then they can't be wrong huh.  It starts with the majority of people thinking the world was flat and goes to the majority of people thinking Sandra Levy was murdered by that Senator.  THEY WERE WRONG!   Come on, man....you can't really believe what you said - that the world can't be wrong! Jordan benefitted from Larry and Magic battling it out and bringing the NBA into prominance so that he could be the media darling after they got it started.  As evidenced by Lebron's thinking that Jordan is the greatest, the younger generation doesn't even know how great Russell, Oscar, West, etc were and have almost forgotten how great Magic and Bird were.   And one day, your grandkids will think Kimba Walker or Lebron or someone like that is the greatest that ever played. Is all about who the media is promoting at the time.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

How do you know that? Oh, okay, just because YOU said it, it makes it so.

You don't believe me that Jordan is the greatest?? Just listen to Magic Johnson...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6og_pOVi2w

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bynum and Gasol both injured : How do you know that? Oh, okay, just because YOU said it, it makes it so. You don't believe me that Jordan is the greatest?? Just listen to Magic Johnson... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6og_pOVi2w
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]

Read my other post above, Waynestarr.  My whole argument is that its all opinion....and my opinion is that Michael benefits from what Magic and Bird did to revitalize the league.  Its my opinion, but not just my opinion.....watch the special on Magic and Bird and their rivalry and what it says about where the league was before them vs after them.  

On what Magic said....that's the difference between Michael and Magic/Larry/Russell/etc.  Michael will say "I'm the greatest".  Magic, Larry, and Russ will remain humble and say that the other guy is the greatest.

In the end, its all about opinions.   By the way, my opinion is that you are under 40 years old and that you have never seen nor experienced what Russell, Oscar, and Wilt did and can barely remember what Larry and Magic did.  Am I right??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

By the way, that's not a knock on you - I wish I were under 40.  Its just that the younger you are, the more you identify with the players of your generation.....as I identify with Magic and Byrd because I grew up idolizing them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFanOutWest. Show LakerFanOutWest's posts

[QUOTE]How Kobe gets even mentioned in the same breath as MJ, Larry & Magic is beyond me.     Yes, he scores lots of points but that doesnt make you the greatest player. He also misses tons of shots and takes perhaps the worse shots in the NBA. He just cant help himself from chucknig up an off balance, hand in the face fall away jumper from 3 feet behind the 3point line... cause when he makes 2 of 12, they'll be on ESPN highlights and the announcers will be faening all over him. His FG% in the clutch is poor... he gagged in the finals last year, especially game 7 when Phil told him STOP SHOOTING!!  Yet, NBA marketing trumps all of that and Kobe got another MVP. For those who can see & think for themsleves, Kobe not on the same level as the greats.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

As far as last second shots, everyone's % is much lower.  Why is he considered by his peers as one of the most dangerous last second shooters?  Yes, he does shoot too much.  And I would rate him behind Magic, Larry, and perhaps Jordan.  But you can't discount 5 and soon perhaps 6 Championships.  First 3 people said it was because of Shaq.  Now he has 2 without Shaq, and working on at least one more.  Kobe's an all-defensive team player annually, and a great rebounder.  But above all, he does whatever it takes to win.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

I would take Oscar over Kobe he was a tripple double machine.
    Magic is greatest point guard to ever play the game.
    Larry Would be my Small forward
    Tim Duncan my Power Forward.
    Shooting Guard Jordan
    Center Bill Russell
    Coach Red

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

You have to start a team with a center.  I'll take Russ.  I figure if I get to pick again after you choose Magic or Mike, I'll get the other one.

Magic
    MJ
    Bird
    Duncan
    Russ

Big O
    koME
    Dr. J
    Mailman
    Kareem

What's your team again??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Good question Laker fan,

ESPN ranked his shot percentage with less than 24 seconds to go, and the game on the line in about the 25% range. The real top clutch shooters were Ray Allen above 60% and Tim Duncan second.

I guess if you always take the last shot, the fans remember the ones you make.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bynum and Gasol both injured : As far as last second shots, everyone's % is much lower.  Why is he considered by his peers as one of the most dangerous last second shooters?  Yes, he does shoot too much.  And I would rate him behind Magic, Larry, and perhaps Jordan.  But you can't discount 5 and soon perhaps 6 Championships.  First 3 people said it was because of Shaq.  Now he has 2 without Shaq, and working on at least one more.  Kobe's an all-defensive team player annually, and a great rebounder.  But above all, he does whatever it takes to win.  
    Posted by LakerFanOutWest[/QUOTE]
    He would be rated much higher if he trusted his team. Even Jordan made great assists at the close when he was getting older. That was the reason for his 2nd 3pete

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

I bleed green, so there's my bias.

Jerry West is the greatest Laker ever. Kareem a close second. Kobe third. Not bad in that company.

Greatest ever? Why is this being discussed? Sure, His Airness is one of greats of all time. 6 titles. Indisputable. 

Bill Russell has 11 rings in 13 yrs in the NBA and couple of NCAA and Olympic titles to along with them. This argument was settled in 1969. When some new player comes along and has say, nine rings, let's re-visit this discussion.

To build a suitable monument to Bill Bill we'd have to use all of New England as its base.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

If a man invites a woman to his hotel room at night and she goes there willingly, believe me, such a man does not want to play monopoly. The woman who accused Kobe of rape, called her best friend after her encounter with Bryant, excited as ever, telling him about the experience. The friend, in court documents detailed the discussion as positive, that Kobe's accuser expressed no negative comments. On the contrary, it was all positive. Days later, not hours, days later she decides to charge rape. It was also reported that this same woman attempted suicide while in college. Besides the semen samples and the history of mental instability, the judge said there was NO CASE.

A slew of attorneys contacted the accuser, wanting to represent her in a civil case, offering their services for free. Why do you think? Remember Paula Jones and her charge against Bill Clinton? Yeah, she got a great settlement even though a Republican judge threw the case out on the first day of the trial.

So those of you that want to continue believing that Bryant raped this woman, when the physical facts prove otherwise, I have to conclude that it's your resentment/hostility toward's Kobe that is affecting your judgment. Did Kobe do something morally wrong? Yes!

Imagine had Kobe not been a black celebrity accused of raping a white woman, I doubt that this case would have gone as far as it did. If you'll recall, the prosecutor in this case called a news conference detailing the charges before having all the facts. It was disgusting to watch. An ethical prosecutor never calls a news conference after an arrest because he doesn't want to prejudice the case or a potential jury until after the trial and the conviction is achieved.

This case was all about an opportunity to get some serious money and nothing more. For those that dislike or resent Bryant, it doesn't matter what the facts are. You'll continue to call him a rapist and use every means to denigrate him. This will be my last post on this subject.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

First of all, great GREAT news that neither of them are seriously hurt.  I know I was praying for Shaq and Krstic to be able to come back soon and was delighted to hear similar news about them.  These are the two best teams of the past 4 years and they make up the NBA's all-time best rivalry.  We don't need injuries getting in the way...

Now, as for the other topic, I promised to stick to basketball but I just want to thank Odessagolfer and Proftom for your very, very kind words.  It's nice to know that what I said was meaningful in some way.  Thank you again.

And to answer that question from Jrleftfoot, that 2% false reporting rate stat is from the FBI.  For now, that's all I'm going to say about THAT!

Go CELTICS!  Stay healthy EVERYONE!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

I don't want to see a game tainted by injury. I want to see a finals that pits the Best Celtics against the best Lakers.

It would be great for neither side to have any excuses!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

So are you saying that you want him to be injured?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

MsLithium and TeamUbuntu - great posts. The feeling is mutual. No one wants excuses, and the best way to prevent that from happening is for both the Celtics and Lakers to meet in the finals injury-free. That would be a first.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]So are you saying that you want him to be injured?
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

I don't want any laker to be injured.  They are still whining about 2008 with Bynum and Ariza being "out".   Even though:
    1.  Ariza played
    2.  The Bynum injury netted them Gasol

After the Gasol trade, they were better - much better - yet they still complained.  We won in 2008, they won in 2009 and 2010.  Those are the facts. This year, who knows?  But I want them all healthy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]Let me add by saying that Michael Jordan never lost in the Finals. Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jerry West, and Wilt Chamberlain all lost in the Finals. I'm not a Bulls or Jordan fan but even I have to admit that MJ is still the greatest.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Truer words were NEVER spoken...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Michael Jordan is a career 49.7% FG shooter. Kobe is just 45.5% FG for his career. Just sayin'!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

well said.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bynum and Gasol both injured : Truer words were NEVER spoken...
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]

DUH, Winning!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Check out these facts; Michael Jordan's Bulls lost six years straight before even making it to the finals....couldn't make it out the first round the first 3 tries (lost twice to the Celtics)
    1990 -- defeated Milwaukee, 3-1, first round
            defeated Philadelphia, 4-1, conference semifinals
            lost to Detroit, 4-3, conference finals

1989 -- defeated Cleveland, 3-2, first round
            defeated New York, 4-2, conference semifinals
            lost to Detroit, 4-2, conference finals

1988 -- defeated Cleveland, 3-2, first round
            lost to Detroit, 4-1, conference semifinals

1987 -- lost to Boston, 3-0, first round

1986 -- lost to Boston, 3-0, first round

1985 -- lost to Milwaukee, 3-1, first round

Sections