C. Johnson Signs Second 10-Day Contract! Is He A Keeper?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

C. Johnson Signs Second 10-Day Contract! Is He A Keeper?

January 28, 2014 | 10:55 AM ET Update

The Boston Celtics announced today that they have signed guard/forward Chris Johnson to a second 10-day contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. Johnson, a 6’6” guard/forward, has appeared in four games for the Celtics and has averaged 10.0 points, 3.3 rebounds, 1.5 steals and 1.0 assist in 26.6 minutes per game. He posted a career-high 12 points against Brooklyn on January 26 and recorded a career-high four steals against Washington on January 22. NBA.com

Rumors tagsBoston CelticsWashington WizardsChris Johnson  Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors  

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.twrWXmII.dpuf

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: C. Johnson Signs Second 10-Day Contract! Is He A Keeper?

Thats good, he deserves it.

I don't think there is anything special about this guy, but there is no doubt  that he works hard and that he is an NBA player. I hope he sticks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

He has been very productive in limited minutes! I really like his game! 

Good cheap investment! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Keep him at least the rest of the year...yes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Keep him at least the rest of the year...yes.

[/QUOTE]

+1 this kid has game! He seems to thrive in B. Stevens system, as well! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think there is anything special about this guy, but there is no doubt  that he works hard and that he is an NBA player. I hope he sticks.

[/QUOTE] +1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Chris Johnson - Biography:

2013-14 SEASON: Appeared in 20 games in the NBA D League this season and has averaged 19.4 points, 6.8 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.0 block in 37.2 minutes per game. Johnson was shooting 47.0 percent from the field, 36.7 percent from three-point territory and 84.1 percent from the free throw line.

PROFESSIONAL CAREER: 2012-13 SEASON:  Played for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Development League and averaged 10.6 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.5 steals in 26.9 minutes per game... 

DAYTON COLLEGE: 2011-12 (Senior):  Averaged 12.4 ppg and led the team in rebounding with 6.4 rpg as an All-Atlantic 10 Honorable Mention selection... Helped Dayton finish 20-13 overall and make an NIT appearance.  2010-11 (Junior): Averaged 11.9 points and 6.0 rebounds in 29.7 minutes per game... Selected to the Atlantic 10 Honorable Mention Team... Led the Flyers in steals (31), free throw percentage (.830) and three-pointers made (77)... Finished second on the team in scoring, rebounds and blocks (14), and third in three-point percentage (.379).. 2009-10 (Sophomore): Posted averages of 11.9 points and 6.9 rebounds... Earned the A10’s Most Improved Player Award and the NIT MVP award.  2008-09 (Freshman): Earned A-10 All-Rookie honors, averaging 6.3 points and 5.2 boards in 16.2 minutes per game.

SUMMARY:  Finished his collegiate career as the only college basketball player in the last 20 seasons to have 1,400 points, 800 rebounds, 300 offensive rebounds and 200 three‐pointers while shooting at least 80 percent from the free throw line... Led Dayton to the 2010 NIT Championship and captured tournament MVP honors as a sophomore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

He's in constant motion on the offensive end and likely to benefit from a true point guard (Rondo). He may not be Mr. Deadeye (or a selfish hog), but he's a scorer, getting points from hustle and being in position to take advantage of losing his man.  If his defensive activity can match his offensive liveliness, he might be a keeper; not a starter, but definitely a solid role player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] +1
    I agree. He does deserve it. He's probably played himself into a contract for the rest of the season. He's doing plus things, while not doing very much minus.

But relative to the current Celtic team there is something special about Johnson - he's the only guy I've seen yet actually run at a full sprint up the floor.

I don't mean "get out on the break," or "run the floor." Green and company do that, but as if in a semi-trance. Maybe they're still in the "go as fast as the ball is going" mode. Wallace comes closest to actually speeding up the court.

By comparison, Johnson looks like he's been blasted out of a gun. He really runs and with a purpose.

But to me the most enticing thing about him lies in the stat someone was nice enough to post. He has an uncommon ability to track down offensive rebounds while also being a threat from deep. Couple that with a lively, long frame and some good passing and defensive instincts and you've got a wing player who's worth an extended look.

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

It's a little early to tell, but he looks like he has the makings of a quality role player in the nba. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] +1
    I agree. He does deserve it. He's probably played himself into a contract for the rest of the season. He's doing plus things, while not doing very much minus.

But relative to the current Celtic team there is something special about Johnson - he's the only guy I've seen yet actually run at a full sprint up the floor.

I don't mean "get out on the break," or "run the floor." Green and company do that, but as if in a semi-trance. Maybe they're still in the "go as fast as the ball is going" mode. Wallace comes closest to actually speeding up the court.

By comparison, Johnson looks like he's been blasted out of a gun. He really runs and with a purpose.

But to me the most enticing thing about him lies in the stat someone was nice enough to post. He has an uncommon ability to track down offensive rebounds while also being a threat from deep. Couple that with a lively, long frame and some good passing and defensive instincts and you've got a wing player who's worth an extended look.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said. I like his game. Me saying I didn't see anything "special" was a conscious attempt to combat hyperbole. I see him as a good bench guy who can play 15 to 20 minutes. He displays excellent energy and good court awareness. 

The thing is it will take a while to see if that energy still exists if he gets a 4 year deal.  Time will tell.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] +1

By comparison, Johnson looks like he's been blasted out of a gun. He really runs and with apurpose.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great observation - it does appear CJ has another gear! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

he could choot more! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said. I like his game. Me saying I didn't see anything "special" was a conscious attempt to combat hyperbole. I see him as a good bench guy who can play 15 to 20 minutes. He displays excellent energy and good court awareness. 

The thing is it will take a while to see if that energy still exists if he gets a 4 year deal.  Time will tell.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You need to guard against it. The hyperbole machine was at one point in full overdrive on Olynyk, but he's looking shakier and shakier by the day. It seems truly burdesome for him to be playing against NBA athletes. I'm not at all sure that he'll ever be able to compensate for his lack of NBA strength and quickness. Guile can only get you so far, even at 6'11".

In Johnson's case, he comes in with no apparent backstory so all we see is what he shows. Abnd what he shows are properties of a useful, effective perimeter player, focused effort included.

The question of how he'll play after some financial security is real, but it seems that Stevens has known him and what kind of character he has for a long time. In fact, if I gad to guess, I'd say Stevens probably suggested him to Danny rather than Danny suggesting him to Stevens. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You need to guard against it. The hyperbole machine was at one point in full overdrive on Olynyk, but he's looking shakier and shakier by the day. It seems truly burdesome for him to be playing against NBA athletes. I'm not at all sure that he'll ever be able to compensate for his lack of NBA strength and quickness. Guile can only get you so far, even at 6'11".

In Johnson's case, he comes in with no apparent backstory so all we see is what he shows. Abnd what he shows are properties of a useful, effective perimeter player, focused effort included.

The question of how he'll play after some financial security is real, but it seems that Stevens has known him and what kind of character he has for a long time. In fact, if I gad to guess, I'd say Stevens probably suggested him to Danny rather than Danny suggesting him to Stevens. 

[/QUOTE]

Olynyk is no stiff !

Stop rushing to judgement on this guy, sick of hearing about lack of strength and quickness , the guy knows how to play basketball - he deserves to have a full rookie season and at least half a season with Rondo (he had 25 points Rondo's 1st game back)

Olynyk has to go thru what he's going thru to take the next step .....why would you bet against him so quickly ?

Olynyk is BETTER at this point than DIRK NOWITZKI was as a rookie , why don't you TAP THE BRAKES on labeling him a stiff ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

[/QUOTE]

Olynyk is no stiff !

Stop rushing to judgement on this guy, sick of hearing about lack of strength and quickness , the guy knows how to play basketball - he deserves to have a full rookie season and at least half a season with Rondo (he had 25 points Rondo's 1st game back)

Olynyk has to go thru what he's going thru to take the next step .....why would you bet against him so quickly ?

Olynyk is BETTER at this point than DIRK NOWITZKI was as a rookie , why don't you TAP THE BRAKES on labeling him a stiff ?

[/QUOTE]

1. I didn't call Olynyk a stiff.

2. I said I'm not sure that he can be who people earlier said he can be.

3. I know he knows how to play basketball.

4. But any city league is full of guys that also know how to play basketball. Hell, I know how to play basketball. I just can't play now and never could beyond certain levels of competition.

5. And though you may be sick of hearing about it, the facts are that Olynyk isn't quick, he isn't strong, he can't jump, he's short-armed, and he can't post up anyone his size. On the plus side, he is smart, 6'11", he can pass, and he can chute.

6. And if he were a guard, he'd be Jimmer Fredette.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Olynyk is not a bad rebounder and he is relatively skilled offensively.  I think if he got the minutes further down the road he could average 14 and 8. The problem is can he get the minutes? He wont unless he can speed up his game a tick. He looks utterly lost out there at times.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from postal5. Show postal5's posts

[QUOTE]

Olynyk is not a bad rebounder and he is relatively skilled offensively.  I think if he got the minutes further down the road he could average 14 and 8. The problem is can he get the minutes? He wont unless he can speed up his game a tick. He looks utterly lost out there at times.

[/QUOTE]

I agree the guy has skills and knowhow ( for a rookie).  I think his being used with his back against the basket, when he has developed no go-to moves in the post, limits him big time.  Placing him facing the basket on the wing, and telling him he has to one-on one until he frees up a jumpshot or sees a good pass for an assist is going to have to be tried.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Chris Johnson finished his collegiate career as the only college basketball player in the last 20 seasons to have 1,400 points, 800 rebounds, 300 offensive rebounds and 200 three‐pointers while shooting at least 80 percent from the free throw line.

That is pretty impressive.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

But the stat website says 903 pts, 461 TRB, 152 ORB, 25 3-point made and 70.9% FT average.

I was a little puzzled by why he only had 3 years of stat.

Wikipedia says: "He was mostly a bench player for the Bulldogs in his freshman and sophomore years, averaging around 12 to 13 minutes per game. In order to improve his game and get stronger, Olynyk agreed that he would redshirt his junior year (2011–12), meaning he would practise with the team, but not play."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But the stat website says 903 pts, 461 TRB, 152 ORB, 25 3-point made and 70.9% FT average.

Wikipedia says: "He was mostly a bench player for the Bulldogs in his freshman and sophomore years, averaging around 12 to 13 minutes per game. In order to improve his game and get stronger, Olynyk agreed that he would redshirt his junior year (2011–12), meaning he would practise with the team, but not play."

[/QUOTE]

He was playing behind Sacre who is on the Lakers now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Chris was talking about johnson.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

I was talking about Chris Johnson.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    I was talking about Chris Johnson.

[/QUOTE]

Oops, sorry, that makes much better sense now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Easy on Olynik. A rookie. Inexperience is what we have seen so far but he could be more versatile and reliable than Sullinger. I would not discard him yet.

Sections
Shortcuts