Re: C. Johnson Signs Second 10-Day Contract! Is He A Keeper?
posted at 1/28/2014 2:18 PM EST
Exactly. You need to guard against it. The hyperbole machine was at one point in full overdrive on Olynyk, but he's looking shakier and shakier by the day. It seems truly burdesome for him to be playing against NBA athletes. I'm not at all sure that he'll ever be able to compensate for his lack of NBA strength and quickness. Guile can only get you so far, even at 6'11".
In Johnson's case, he comes in with no apparent backstory so all we see is what he shows. Abnd what he shows are properties of a useful, effective perimeter player, focused effort included.
The question of how he'll play after some financial security is real, but it seems that Stevens has known him and what kind of character he has for a long time. In fact, if I gad to guess, I'd say Stevens probably suggested him to Danny rather than Danny suggesting him to Stevens.
Olynyk is no stiff !
Stop rushing to judgement on this guy, sick of hearing about lack of strength and quickness , the guy knows how to play basketball - he deserves to have a full rookie season and at least half a season with Rondo (he had 25 points Rondo's 1st game back)
Olynyk has to go thru what he's going thru to take the next step .....why would you bet against him so quickly ?
Olynyk is BETTER at this point than DIRK NOWITZKI was as a rookie , why don't you TAP THE BRAKES on labeling him a stiff ?
1. I didn't call Olynyk a stiff.
2. I said I'm not sure that he can be who people earlier said he can be.
3. I know he knows how to play basketball.
4. But any city league is full of guys that also know how to play basketball. Hell, I know how to play basketball. I just can't play now and never could beyond certain levels of competition.
5. And though you may be sick of hearing about it, the facts are that Olynyk isn't quick, he isn't strong, he can't jump, he's short-armed, and he can't post up anyone his size. On the plus side, he is smart, 6'11", he can pass, and he can chute.
6. And if he were a guard, he'd be Jimmer Fredette.