Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

Re: Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions

Rondo is TERRIBLE..worst pg in the league!!!! who cares if he leads the celtics deep in the playoffs every year, anyone could! avery bradley could! who cares that he hit a game clincher tonite, lucky shot! anyone could have done that! who cares if during last years finals ray allen was non existent except for game 2, pierce had a hard time getting going, and Kevin Garnett was a shell of the player he is this year, who cares about that! ITS ALL RONDO's FAULT BECAUSE HE SUCKS!!! nvr mind the triple double, the near triple double, anyone can do that. he sucks.

i wish we had beno udrih.. (sigh)...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Rondo hits two uncontested jumpers in the 4th quarter and J/C goes nuts.

Uncontested jumpers... no less. Two of them. 2 of 7 in the 4th quarter.

When the ops start contesting Rondo's jumpers, then maybe J/C can make the case that Rondo's shot is improving and  should be taken seriously... by someone other than J/C.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

What really gets me is Rondo passes up 2 more easy layups last night.  One was a clear breakaway... the other almost as easy.  Now, I saw Rondo in the lane last night, hit a few layups/scoops/floaters..so why is he bailing on these easier, ahead of the field no brainers??

Hard to figure

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

In Response to Re: Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions:
    Rondo hits two uncontested jumpers in the 4th quarter and J/C goes nuts.   Uncontested jumpers... no less. Two of them. 2 of 7 in the 4th quarter. When the ops start contesting Rondo's jumpers, then maybe J/C can make the case that Rondo's shot is improving and  should be taken seriously... by someone other than J/C. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

No, Pud, I have been pointing out Rondo's jump shot percentage for weeks.  The criticism of him is that "he can't hit a jump shot".  You have said it yourself. 

45% on jump shots says you are wrong, as you so frequently are on matters pertaining to Rondo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions : No, Pud, I have been pointing out Rondo's jump shot percentage for weeks.  The criticism of him is that "he can't hit a jump shot".  You have said it yourself.  45% on jump shots says you are wrong, as you so frequently are on matters pertaining to Rondo.
    Posted by jerrycole

Not sure how to say this - NOBODY GUARDS RONDO... HE MADE A BUNCH OF LAYUPS LAST NIGHT AND MADE WHAT AMOUNTS TO A FOULD SHOT LAST NIGHT AFTER MISSING JUMPER AFTER JUMPER AFTER JUMPER......

Wow he makes 45% of his jumpers - if there is anyone on the planet would not trade Rondo for Westbrook they cannot be called anything other than a complete homer.  45% of completely uncontested jumpers - wow - give those shots to actual good shooters, shooters that are guarded otherwise and they are chomping at the bit - 90% for wide open jumpers.

You have your opinion and I have mine....... who missed a layup in the all-star game?  Wake up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

In Response to Re: Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions : Not sure how to say this - NOBODY GUARDS RONDO... HE MADE A BUNCH OF LAYUPS LAST NIGHT AND MADE WHAT AMOUNTS TO A FOULD SHOT LAST NIGHT AFTER MISSING JUMPER AFTER JUMPER AFTER JUMPER...... Wow he makes 45% of his jumpers - if there is anyone on the planet would not trade Rondo for Westbrook they cannot be called anything other than a complete homer.  45% of completely uncontested jumpers - wow - give those shots to actual good shooters, shooters that are guarded otherwise and they are chomping at the bit - 90% for wide open jumpers. You have your opinion and I have mine....... who missed a layup in the all-star game?  Wake up.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Dud, like Pud you have a short memory.  Your criticisms of Rondo have ALWAYS contained variations of "he can't hit a jump shot to save his life".  Well, he hits 45% of them, so now you are changing the criticism to be about "closely guarded jump shots."  When someone like 82games.com eventually compiles a record of percentage of jump shots that are closely guarded, you will change the definition yet again - to something like "hitting jump shots while being tackled by an NFL linebacker"!  (Which, I have to admit, is a weakness in Rondo's game.)

By the way, one of the reasons that Rondo gets the open jumpers is the same reason that Ray and Paul get open jumpers so frequently - the Celtics are an excellent passing team.  Another reason is that many guards HAVE to play off of him because otherwise he'll go right by them.  A third reason is that he has become pretty good at faking the drive and shooting the jumper over the retreating defender.  And fourth reason is that the Celts are running plays where Rondo goes down to the baseline and then curls around a pick to get open at the foul line -which he did on the key jumper he made in the last minute of last night's game.

Of course, despite your masterful powers of unbiased observation, you missed that, didn't you?  Probably ball-watching like all the little Puds and Duds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

What I would give for a complete PG like Chris Paiul, Deron Williams, Nash, Rose, Westbrook, to help win it all this year...   What I would give to have PG with a Championship ring..Oh yea Rondo has one...
    Posted by BBALLIQ

BBALLDQ -
    If I was listing PGs with a Championship ring I would have included Sasha, Farmar, and Fisher who has more rings than Rondo.  Listen carefully...none of them are quality PGs. They won the championship because of the team around them.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

In Response to Re: Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions : BBALLDQ - If I was listing PGs with a Championship ring I would have included Sasha, Farmar, and Fisher who has more rings than Rondo.  Listen carefully...none of them are quality PGs. They won the championship because of the team around them.  
    Posted by Eldunker

Dunk, every player who ever won a championship did so because of the team around him, including Russell and Bird.  Mentioning Rondo in the same breath with Sasha, Farmar and Fisher is just silly.

Rondo has led the league in steals and and is leading in assists.  He has been selected to the first team All-Defensive team.  He has broken team records that were set by Bob Cousy.  He has been named by Magic Johnson and Bob Cousy as the "best PG in the NBA".  He is an excellent clutch player who ups his game when the score is close in the last five minutes.  He is lauded by tough graders like KG, Paul and Shaq.  Doc has called him "the smartest player I've ever coached". 

Get real.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Eldunker, it hurts your credibility to offer Steve Nash as an example of a "complete" PG.  The next time ol' Stevie has a good defensive game will be his first good defensive game.  Rondo on the other hand was chosen by NBA coaches to the first team of the NBA's All-Defensive team. Apparently Westbrook's 39% shooting doesn't disqualify him from being a "complete" PG, but Rondo's 45% shooting does.  Someday you'll have to explain to me the how that works. You're not the Dud in disguise, are you?  The only reason I ask is that from the looks of your list of "complete" PGs, apparently your only criterion is scoring.
    Posted by jerrycole

Steve Nash just has 2 MVP awards, He's not a very good point guard at all is he!!  What do you think the odds are of Rondo getting just one?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

you know what it's called when a player only takes jump shots when he's wide open? GOOD SHOT SELECTION

A contested jumpshot is the least efficient shot in basketball

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

Dudder, I understand you aren't a fan of Rondo, and he plays with 4 HOF'ers, but come on, but how can you possibly say that someone averaging 12 assists and 2 steals a game is an average PG??!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Sometimes I think people misunderstand criticism for not liking a player.

I like ROndo alot, he fits good with the Celtics and is capable of monster games and controlling games. We really dont need him to score or hit jumpers, but it would make life better for the rest of the team.

I cant understand why he passes up breakaway layups & open layups. Theres nobody in the NBA that does this stuff as consistently like ROndo, maybe nobody but Rondo does it at all.

Against the Jazz he actually passed up a breakaway layup, dribbled away from the hoop and hit KG with a pass inside the 3 line. Theres no logical explanation for this. Some will specualte he wants to jack his assists numbers up, some that hes too scared to get fouled cause hes garbage at the FT line. 

I have no explanation for this.  He passed a second easy layup last night as well. Why doesnt one of those dudes in the media ever ask him this???? Id love to hear his answer.

Anyway, Rondo is capable of doing enough for us to win a title and I enjoy watching him play for the most part but like any player, he has shortcomings (FTs, shooting, occassional carelessness & indifference etc) ... just that his are so glaring it has to be noticed more.

Breakaway layups cant be passed up.. its puzzling and hard to understand

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Sometimes I think people misunderstand criticism for not liking a player. I like ROndo alot, he fits good with the Celtics and is capable of monster games and controlling games. We really dont need him to score or hit jumpers, but it would make life better for the rest of the team. I cant understand why he passes up breakaway layups & open layups. Theres nobody in the NBA that does this stuff as consistently like ROndo, maybe nobody but Rondo does it at all. Against the Jazz he actually passed up a breakaway layup, dribbled away from the hoop and hit KG with a pass inside the 3 line. Theres no logical explanation for this. Some will specualte he wants to jack his assists numbers up, some that hes too scared to get fouled cause hes garbage at the FT line.  I have no explanation for this.  He passed a second easy layup last night as well. Why doesnt one of those dudes in the media ever ask him this???? Id love to hear his answer. Anyway, Rondo is capable of doing enough for us to win a title and I enjoy watching him play for the most part but like any player, he has shortcomings (FTs, shooting, occassional carelessness & indifference etc) ... just that his are so glaring it has to be noticed more. Breakaway layups cant be passed up.. its puzzling and hard to understand
    Posted by Karllost

Agree with you on the passing up of shots. I saw him do that with a layup during the Utah game. That is ridiculous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions : Agree with you on the passing up of shots. I saw him do that with a layup during the Utah game. That is ridiculous.
    Posted by OneNation

This is indeed bizarre.

DA recently described Rondo as being what he called "constructively defiant."

Danny should have stopped at calling him "defiant" and not tried to spin Rondo's stubbornness into something a bit less problematic for management and teammates alike.

Pud

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

DA recently described Rondo as being what he called "constructively defiant."

FALSE. that quote comes courtesy of rondo's agent, bill duffy, in describing his client's positive attributes. 

danny ainge, quoted in the same boston herald article, stated "everyone who knows me knows how much I love this kid, including rondo himself.”  

misguided, obnoxious, easily refuted, and lazy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from henrygilman. Show henrygilman's posts

Yeah, Rondo has flaws in his game. But no way the Celts beat the Lakers in 2008 without him playing well. Last year? The Celts were in control into the third quarter of game 7. The Lakers were backing off him the whole series. (But correct me if I'm wrong about that.)  By that logic, the Celts should have gone home after game four. (So how is his inability to hit jumpers a fatal flaw?) I've been watching the NBA for more than 40 years now. He's one of a group of guys I'd actually pay to see play. Yeah, Derrick Rose outscored him in the playoffs. The Celts won. To paraphrase Bill Russell after Jerry West whined that the Lakers were the better team after a playoff series loss: "It occurs to me that's why they keep score."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

To say theres no way we win title in 2008 w/o Rondo is meaningless  in a way.

I mean, cant we plug in 6 or 7 names into that line? KG, Ray, PP, Posey, PJ, EH, Perk and still say the same thing about them??

What may be more disturbing about Rondos shortcomings than others is they are more noticable and they are not expected from a PG.

For instance his FT shooting.. its rare a PG shoots FT's so bad. Few people get on Shaq, Perk etc about their poor FT shooting cause its more expected from a big guy.

Rondo passing up breakaway layups or easy layups in the lane... that sticks out like a sore thumb, its something NBA followers are not accustomed to seeing ... and lets admit it, theres no logical explanation why.

Those are 2 examples of GLARING issues with Rondo.... which may be why he gets the attention he gets on this board. Doesnt mean people hate him or wish he wasnt here... at least Im not one of those.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

What a bunch of goons.. Rondo is the second best, maybe third best point guard in the league behind Rose and Williams.. If Paul picks it back up he will be 4th... Bottom line, he is a liability on shooting, we all know that. The guy is the best passer in the game, similar to Kidd and Nash in their earlier years. He is a great defensive point guard, the best rebounding point guard in the NBA, pushes the floor with great intensity. The guy still scores a good amount of points for not being a good shooter. If you actually understand the game, you realize how crucial it is to pass the ball in the exact spot a shooter can catch and shoot without hesitation. ITs not just about "passing" the ball, its like a QB throwing to a receiver on the run. Without Rondo, the Big 3 would be the Old 3 with a 500 record. The guy is excellent, anybody saying they should trade him needs a CT or needs to keep their ignorant opinions to themselves. 

Lets just tell it like it is. Rondo is a liability when shooting, he is a strength on everything else. If he had a shot like Rose, Williams etc. He would be the best PG in the league, easy..  But hes not.. Still top 5 on any objective fans radar.. 

And his playoff performances have been out of this world.. He holds a couple records already and is "average" according to some of you.. He matched Rose's stats inch by inch and had some games where he dominated him, and some where he got dominated. Rose is the best PG in the league now, and Rondo plays him on an even level. Go back and watch their games. Very fun to watch them two..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

To say theres no way we win title in 2008 w/o Rondo is meaningless  in a way. I mean, cant we plug in 6 or 7 names into that line? KG, Ray, PP, Posey, PJ, EH, Perk and still say the same thing about them?? What may be more disturbing about Rondos shortcomings than others is they are more noticable and they are not expected from a PG. For instance his FT shooting.. its rare a PG shoots FT's so bad. Few people get on Shaq, Perk etc about their poor FT shooting cause its more expected from a big guy. Rondo passing up breakaway layups or easy layups in the lane... that sticks out like a sore thumb, its something NBA followers are not accustomed to seeing ... and lets admit it, theres no logical explanation why. Those are 2 examples of GLARING issues with Rondo.... which may be why he gets the attention he gets on this board. Doesnt mean people hate him or wish he wasnt here... at least Im not one of those.
    Posted by Karllost

What Rondo has in common with Shaq are the shovel hands. May well be the reason why he can't shoot FTs, just like much bigger guys. In that sense, its not so strange.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

It has been brought to my attention that I attributed the "constructively defiant" description of Rondo's stubbornness  to DA. I was wrong.

It came out of Rondo's agent's mouth... (far, far worse)... in a moment of agent candor in trying to soften the sting of some fairly mild off-season criticism from DannyBoy aimed at RR.

Think about it for a moment. You might expect/demand candor from DA... but much less so from Rondo's agent, Bill Duffy. But that's not what happened here.

While DA feels compeled to make noises that he is all love toward his "strong willed" PG, what we have is a breathtaking acknowledgement from Duffy that Rondo is indeed "defiant"... but in a "constructive" way.

When a player's agent (Duffy) is more candid and forthcoming than the president of basketball operations (DAinge), we have serious problems festering.

Pud

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbruce9. Show sbruce9's posts

It has been brought to my attention that I attributed the "constructively defiant" description of Rondo's stubbornness  to DA. I was wrong. It came out of Rondo's agent's mouth... (far, far worse)... in a moment of agent candor in trying to soften the sting of some fairly mild off-season criticism from DannyBoy aimed at RR. Think about it for a moment. You might expect/demand candor from DA... but much less so from Rondo's agent, Bill Duffy. But that's not what happened here. While DA feels compeled to make noises that he is all love toward his "strong willed" PG, what we have is a breathtaking acknowledgement from Duffy that Rondo is indeed "defiant"... but in a "constructive" way. When a player's agent (Duffy) is more candid and forthcoming than the president of basketball operations (DAinge), we have serious problems festering. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

If there is indeed a "serious" problem festering why wasn't Rondo in line for a contract buyout.  I realize he has an extended contract, but with such a malcontent on the team surely our championship aspirations would benefit from ridding ourselves of the Rondo disease.  Do you happen to write for the National Enquirer?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

breathtaking? murphy siting rondo's game and choosing the Cs over lebron, wade and more minutes in miami is a much better example of breathtaking

you got nothin', puddinpuddin. why don't you take a few weeks off from your misguided crusade? maybe that way you can accumulate some bit of valid criticism. this business of flogging your fave team's all star pg on a daily basis just because you can and you want to has left you bankrupt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions : If there is indeed a "serious" problem festering why wasn't Rondo in line for a contract buyout.  I realize he has an extended contract, but with such a malcontent on the team surely our championship aspirations would benefit from ridding ourselves of the Rondo disease.  Do you happen to write for the National Enquirer?
    Posted by sbruce9

"Malcontent"....  "disease"....???  your words, not mine.

But you raise some interesting questions.

Read the full article and decide for yourself. That seems fair enough.

Try the BosHerald, not the Enquirer.

Pud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

Nice try, Pud.  Got caught with your pants down, and now you're desperately trying to spin it as a criticism of Rondo by his agent.  Agents choose their words carefully when talking about their clients.  The agent knew that the word "constructively" removes any hint of criticism from the quote. 

This what I mean by a "hater".  Taking anything that's said or done and trying to make it into a negative, whether it fits or not.

j24, Rondo outplayed Rose in that series.  Rondo averaged a triple double.  Rose did not.  One triple double in a playoff series is an uncommon occurrence.  AVERAGING a triple double is very rare.  Any doubt about Rondo's being very, very special was removed in that series.  The fact that that he went on to nearly average a triple double over THREE consecutive playoff series is something we haven't seen since the days of Oscar Robertson.  (For you kiddies, the "Big O" averaged a triple double for entire SEASONS, and is thought of by most who saw him play as hands down the greatest guard of all time.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

Nice try, Pud.  Got caught with your pants down, and now you're desperately trying to spin it as a criticism of Rondo by his agent.  Agents choose their words carefully when talking about their clients.  The agent knew that the word "constructively" removes any hint of criticism from the quote.  This what I mean by a "hater".  Taking anything that's said or done and trying to make it into a negative, whether it fits or not. j24, Rondo outplayed Rose in that series.  Rondo averaged a triple double.  Rose did not.  One triple double in a playoff series is an uncommon occurrence.  AVERAGING a triple double is very rare.  Any doubt about Rondo's being very, very special was removed in that series.  The fact that that he went on to nearly average a triple double over THREE consecutive playoff series is something we haven't seen since the days of Oscar Robertson.  (For you kiddies, the "Big O" averaged a triple double for entire SEASONS, and is thought of by most who saw him play as hands down the greatest guard of all time.)
    Posted by jerrycole

Your not educating me, I watched the series just like you. My point was simply that while Rose is considered the best PG in the game right now, Rondo had no trouble staying on his level in every respect including scoring. 

That series was huge, Rondo was brilliant. Quite frankly I was trying to downplay how good he was in that series in light of a balanced assessment.. but no argument here. I am aware of your information.

Sections
Shortcuts