Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oreed. Show oreed's posts

Re: Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions

WHAT I NOTICE WITH RONDO EVERY YEAR HE GOES ALL OUT IN THE PLAYOFFS,  THATS WHERE YOU WELL SEE A DIFFERENT PLAYER THATS WHERE HE BECAME A ELITE GUARD, IT SEEM LIKE HE DOESN'T CARE TO MUCH. WHEN THE GAME MEANS SOMETHING OR ITS THE PLAYOFFS... HE'S LIGHTSOUT 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions:
    [QUOTE]Nice try, Pud.  Got caught with your pants down, and now you're desperately trying to spin it as a criticism of Rondo by his agent.  Agents choose their words carefully when talking about their clients.  The agent knew that the word "constructively" removes any hint of criticism from the quote.  This what I mean by a "hater".  Taking anything that's said or done and trying to make it into a negative, whether it fits or not. j24, Rondo outplayed Rose in that series.  Rondo averaged a triple double.  Rose did not.  One triple double in a playoff series is an uncommon occurrence.  AVERAGING a triple double is very rare.  Any doubt about Rondo's being very, very special was removed in that series.  The fact that that he went on to nearly average a triple double over THREE consecutive playoff series is something we haven't seen since the days of Oscar Robertson.  (For you kiddies, the "Big O" averaged a triple double for entire SEASONS, and is thought of by most who saw him play as hands down the greatest guard of all time.)
    Posted by jerrycole[/QUOTE]

No criticism by his agent was ever intended. That's not what agents are paid to do. They get paid handsomely to spin/put the client's best face forward.... in this case, explaining Rondo's "coachability" issues as best he could in terms of "constructive defiance"... whatever that is.

After all, the agent took the hit for getting Rondo involved in TEAM USA when things went south, Rondo quit the team   and claimed that he never wanted to participate anyway... it was all the agent's idea. Ka-ching!

Agents are useful for deflecting criticism... and for that they get up to 10% of the contract off the top... and double that from endorsements. Ka-ching! Ka-ching!!

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

I like Rondo, I really do. But the point about him pulling the ball out on occasion is legit. He simoply needs to shoot it. If someone has a logical explaination for this I would like to hear it. If someone gave their opinion on this, I apologize for not seeing it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Jerry Cole - 

First, thanks for calling out the haters. However, I have some problems with this thread. The first is that you give pud and dud way too much credit by calling them Rondo haters. In fact they are not fans of the Celtics at all but trolls who should be placed on ignore. You know I'm right - they only come here to bash Rondo, don't talk about anything else. That's a trollish approach and they don't deserve to be argued with like real fans that might disagree with you. So you give them too much credit and respect by engaging them in my opinion. Not to mention you know they will not change their minds. 

Overall, your views on Rondo are fair and I'm a huge Rondo fan, but you are getting a little too hung up on stats. I watch the games, and I see Rondo as needing to take it up another notch in late game situations. He's getting more comfortable shooting late, and his clutch shot the other night was a good sign. But he's still afraid to get fouled late in games so he doesn't hit the hole hard as he should. This is a problem. I was hoping he'd make more strides on his free throws in the offseason, but he didn't. 

This had far-reaching consequences, because late in games the Celtics were playing 3 on 5 with Rondo and Perk in there. This was a major reason that contributed to the trade of Perkins. In last year's NBA playoffs, Rondo was arguably the MVP of the Celtics up through halfway through the Lakers series. Then the Lakers started to play off of him and Kobe double teamed the shooter, clamping down our D. Rondo did not have an especially good finish to that series, he was far from the only reason we lost, but that's why Rondo still has some things to prove that won't be resolved until the postseason. 

I'm still glad he's our point guard. Whether or not he's the best point guard in the league I think he's perfect for our current team. But to deny he has room for improvement by citing stats is clueless, sorry. Watch the games, Ray Allen has a smooth stroke and Rondo's is herky jerky ugly. He has work do to. I hope he does it and I hope he continues to improve. Rondo has many strengths and if he can guide this team to another ring he will justify all your praises. I sincerely hope he does.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]I've often thought that there should be a board rule against responding to the Dud's posts - it's too much like shooting fish in a barrel, very unsporting. But I just can't resist.  It's a character flaw, I know it. I'll just respond to the most ridiculous parts - although that doesn't cut it down much. 1)  "clang like in tonight's game" - except that Rondo hit 9 of his sixteen shots, well over 50%.  2)  "Doc said that Rondo's inability to shoot hurt the team."  "Coach K said they couldn't have players who can't shoot."  Both statements were true.  BUT they were about last year when Rondo shot 37% on jump shots.  This year he's shooting 45%.  Try to keep up with the times. Dud.  You're stuck in the past.  3)  DHarris "outscored Rondo tonight".  The Dud's allegiance to the Knicks shows itself here.  See Dud, in Celtic Nation, most people understand that there is more to the game than scoring.  Most of the Celtics' many championship teams had no one anywhere near the scoring championship.  In Boston, we equally value the many other aspects of the game.  So the fact that Harris outscored Rondo by ONE POINT tonight doesn't impress real Celtics fans when Rondo also had 11 assists to Harris's 5, 4 rebounds to Harris's 1, and shot 56% to Harris's 54%.  Try to wrap your mind around the fact that scoring points isn't all there is in basketball. 4) The Celtics only beat "a team that had been together for a week."  Apparently you missed the news that two of the Celtics top seven guys have been with the team only since Friday. 5)  "Rondo isn't even part of the offense late in games."  Apparently you missed the part of the first post in this thread that related these FACTS:  Late in close games, Rondo shoots more, scores more, has more assists and rebounds and steals, and fewer turnovers on a per minute basis than his averages.  That doesn't sound like "not even part of the offense to me".  Does it to you?  6)  In trying to make the case that Rondo's deficiencies cost the Celtics the Championship last year, you ignored the team's terrible shooting and many fouls.  You also ignored Rondo's triple double in game 2, and near triple double in game 6.  Oh, I forgot - as a Knicks fan you are ignorant of the many aspects of basketball other than scoring.  I don't blame you for that - I just think it's a shame.  7) You attempted to denigrate Rondo's brilliant performance in the '09 playoffs by stating that Rose "outscored" him.  There it is again - the belief that all there is to basketball is scoring.  Apparently you missed the fact that Rondo handily surpassed Rose in other aspects of the game, such as assists, steals, rebounds, shooting percentage, etc.  In addition, you missed the fact that I referred to the playoffS - i.e., the other two series as well.  For those THREE series, with no Garnett, Rondo averaged a near triple double.  While "performed brilliantly" is a matter of opinion, it's an opinion that is shared by virtually every person who watched those playoffs - other than you, Pud and Acie. Could I suggest that you try learning about ALL aspects of basketball before offering your opinions and falsehoods masquerading as "facts". 
    Posted by jerrycole[/QUOTE]

This was beautiful.

Oh and I'd add on point number two that Westbrook, is a career 26% three point shooter much like Rondo (both have improved although Rondo is shooting the three better this year than Westbrook). Obviously the Thunder should trade Westbrook for Mike Bibby right away.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

p.s. Jerry Cole, please don't take three months off again, there's too much Rondo hate and you're too interesting a contributor to bail on us like that and leave us with the haters. :) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]p.s. Jerry Cole, please don't take three months off again, there's too much Rondo hate and you're too interesting a contributor to bail on us like that and leave us with the haters. :) 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

'nough said.....

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/playerrankings/regularseason/PG

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]p.s. Jerry Cole, please don't take three months off again, there's too much Rondo hate and you're too interesting a contributor to bail on us like that and leave us with the haters. :) 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

J/C was getting sliced and diced after the finals... and decided to go into the witness protection program.

Said another way, it got too hot in the kitchen so... J/C executed a tactical retreat. 

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Call out the Rondo haters on their false assertions : 'nough said..... http://www.cbssports.com/nba/playerrankings/regularseason/PG
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

OMG! That's a CBS fantasy league player ranking. Appropriate for your comments don't you think? Since fantasy land is where you seem to be living.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

We know Dudder is a Knicks fan, and therefore thinks that the only thing that matters is points scored.  CBS, located in New York, apparently feels the same way.

Let's see - Rondo is 1st in assists, 2nd in FG%, 4th in Rebounds.  He's also 2nd in the NBA in steals - but CBS Fantasy basketball apparently doesn't count steals.  (And neither does the Dud.  In fact, Dud thinks they are something bad!  Really!)  Rondo is lousy in FT%, but as I've frequently pointed out, for him the difference between lousy and OK amounts to a half a point a game.

Conclusion: the only thing that really matters to Dud and CBS Fantasy BB is points scored.  I guess CBS's Fantasy BB computers can't handle anything more complex than that.  What the Dud's excuse is, I have no idea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Pud and dud humiliated again

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

There goes Pud again - making up psychological stuff to justify his low opinions of certain players and posters. 

Pud, you have absolutely no idea why I wasn't posting this summer and fall.  Just as you have no idea what Rondo's psychological state is at any time, yet continually criticize him for what you state that he's thinking or feeling and what motivates him.

Stop pretending that you have insights into what is going on in other people's heads.  It's a cheap trick that doesn't fool anybody.

Sections
Shortcuts