Calling all Laker fans where are you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you?

In Response to Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you?:
    [QUOTE]Hey all.  For some reason (see BS), my old account (jofc) was submarined.  But, with the Lakers sweep, and the state of the NBA, I thought I'd chime in.  First off, as a good friend of mine, and fellow Laker fan, said - "Boston's definitely shown more heart than us this year. " I agree. I'm not upset or embarassed about losing in 4 to Dallas.  The Lakers have proven themselves.  The Kobe/Phil era Lakers have taken 5 titles and appeared in 7 Finals since 2000.  They just won back to back titles.  The bottom line is that they just didn't look as strong this year.  It's very hard to have that motivation when you've just won back to back.  There were hungrier teams, namely Dallas right now. I AM upset by the Lakers acting like spoiled children (namely Odom and Bynum) and tarnishing an otherwise great franchise.  Odom's hit on Nowitzki and Bynum's cheap and dangerous jab were classless.  I wouldn't be upset if they both ended up on other teams this off season.  I back my team all the time, but not players who act like that.  As for the Celtics and the Heat, right now I just don't want LeBron getting a ring.  I feel like Chicago's the team to beat right now, despite struggling against Atlanta.  In the west, you gotta love Memphis.  Duke - you're always a class act.  Glad you're still posting on these boards. Ok, that's all from this 'troll'.  :).
    Posted by cofj[/QUOTE]
    Welcome back. I was hoping you'd return. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]Hey all.  For some reason (see BS), my old account (jofc) was submarined.  But, with the Lakers sweep, and the state of the NBA, I thought I'd chime in.  First off, as a good friend of mine, and fellow Laker fan, said - "Boston's definitely shown more heart than us this year. " I agree. I'm not upset or embarassed about losing in 4 to Dallas.  The Lakers have proven themselves.  The Kobe/Phil era Lakers have taken 5 titles and appeared in 7 Finals since 2000.  They just won back to back titles.  The bottom line is that they just didn't look as strong this year.  It's very hard to have that motivation when you've just won back to back.  There were hungrier teams, namely Dallas right now. I AM upset by the Lakers acting like spoiled children (namely Odom and Bynum) and tarnishing an otherwise great franchise.  Odom's hit on Nowitzki and Bynum's cheap and dangerous jab were classless.  I wouldn't be upset if they both ended up on other teams this off season.  I back my team all the time, but not players who act like that.  As for the Celtics and the Heat, right now I just don't want LeBron getting a ring.  I feel like Chicago's the team to beat right now, despite struggling against Atlanta.  In the west, you gotta love Memphis.  Duke - you're always a class act.  Glad you're still posting on these boards. Ok, that's all from this 'troll'.  :).
    Posted by cofj[/QUOTE]

Welcome back!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cofj. Show cofj's posts

Thanks guys!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Hey good buddy, it has been much too long since we last heard from you.....welcome back my friend...you add so much to this forum...glad to see you again!!!

Take care,
    Bri (aka Duke)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

[QUOTE]to our friend "it's not 1966 anymor"......a few things to consider... since the advent of the modern NBA (shot clock era) Celtics 17 titles....Lakers 11 Finals winning percentages....Celtics .809 (17-4) Lakers .423 (11-15) ....and this brings up the notion of great closers....you know, how you guys love to say the mamba is the best closer in the league (not, by the way...check out the last 5 years stats)...anyway...my point is...how good have the modern Lakers been at "closing" in the Finals...? (see 11-15) ....not really very good were they...? You hang your hat on Phil and his 11 titles (5 with LA)...who retired at 65? ....we hang our hat on Red who retired at 50 with 10...and then was GM and President who oversaw the next 6....and who built the team from the ground floor ...are you really sure that you want to continue the comparisons?  ....because I can give you more if you'd like.... Celtics vs. Lakers in the Finals........9-3 Celts (including 8 straight spanning 25 years) Finals being swept 4 straight...?   Lakers 3 (once by Boston)....Celtics...nope!! ....and as far as the long drought after '86.....please consider this and give me an honest answer....how would your franchise history book look if (1)Worthy died before he ever played a game for your franchise and (2)say Byron Scott died a few years later....would this have altered the Laker landscape...methinks the answer is an overwhelming YES! Lastly.....Q said we only won one with the Big #3.....correct....but we destroyed the league in year #1 (and LA in the Finals)....were on a roll until KG was lost for the season the next year....we went to the final two minutes of game 7 on the road last year (with Perk out)...and we gave a better showing in the playoffs this year than your team did... Remember....our team never QUIT.....your team did twice...in '08 in Boston and this year in Dallas....39 and 33 point losses if I'm not mistaken....the Celtics have never embarrassed themselves in the Finals like LA did....lost in OT with our floor leader playing with a dislocated elbow (ouch).....need I say more...?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

You said the Lakers have 11 championships, but then boast about Boston being 9-3 against them in the Finals?  So, Lakers fans don't get to claim the MN titles, but Boston fans get to include the victory in the 1959 Finals against the MN franchise as part of the 9-3 Finals record?  Interesting.  

I have no problem saying Boston was the best franchise of the NBA's early era, so why can't you all admit the Lakers have been the best franchise of the NBA's modern era?  No era is necessarily better than the other.  I prefer the modern era, but the Celtics dominated against the competition they had from '59 - '76, and the Lakers have largely dominated the League since 1980.  What's  wrong with that?  I'm a 49ers fan, and think Joe Montana and Bill Walsh are the best QB and coach in history, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the greatness of the Patriots since 2000, and I would be foolish to argue that the 49ers "place in history" makes them a better franchise today.  I suppose I could be an old curmudgeon and talk about how the defenses Montana played against were more fierce and physical than the scheme defenses Brady faces today, or go on and on about "Spygate" and how the 49ers didn't need to cheat to win, but really, why bother?  Montana and Rice and Walsh were the best of their time.  Brady and Belicheck are great now.  Hopefully the 49ers will be great again, but I'm not going begrudge some other team because my team isn't as relevant as it used to be. 

So all you Cs fans keep talking about how your "history" that fewer and fewer people remember still makes you the best today, and keep dogging on the modern NBA.  The rest of us have moved on, and the Lakers fans look forward to number "17" sooner than later. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Don't know how you figure that.  Kupchak and koME have strapped your beloved franchise for the next 3 years.  Bynum?  who wants him?  Gasol?  Will NOT be traded...............since you can only use the MLE to sign players (Blake and Barnes) and you still have Artest and Odom under contract.....how do you propose your team is close to #17?

You will get progressively worse over the next 3 years........THEN, by the time everyone one of my students (I teach in LA County) is wearing a MEbron or Griffin jersey, you may make a big splash...........can't happen as long as koME is running things........nice try, though!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

Funny how terrible you all make the Lakers sound.  Must make you feel great that this terrible team beat you in 7 games last year.  I don't have a crystal ball and can't see how the pieces will fit, but based on Buss' last 30 years, I'm very confident they will. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Funny how terrible you all make the Lakers sound.  Must make you feel great that this terrible team beat you in 7 games last year.  I don't have a crystal ball and can't see how the pieces will fit, but based on Buss' last 30 years, I'm very confident they will. 
    Posted by ItsNot1966anymor[/QUOTE]

Didn't mention the Celtics - just YOUR problems.  AND, Buss has nothing to do with it, it's Kupchak.  Buss signs off on it, in between 16 yr old cheerleaders, but Kupchak makes all the decisions.  AND, no one wants to deal with the guy!  Many GM's have waited a long time for this day, and he must pay for his arrogance.  You're "not sure" how the pieces will fit together?"  You need a coach and a PG, according to you all you need to do is "tweak."  HOW will you pay for one?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

"1966"...that was an excellent post dude and your points are all well taken....for the record, I have never said that the Lakers haven't been dominant since 1980....Boston was their chief rival during that run and helped to define that decade...unfortunately we did suffer two serious blows to our franchise....

This discussion all began when Hollinger wrote an article claiming the Lakers to be the all time greatest in league history....this board was flooded by Laker fans (and many trolls as well)....Hollinger cited the most regular season victories in league history (Boston being #2)...he also cited the Lakers having more trips to the Finals....Laker fans started up and refused to acknowledge the reasons we feel that the Celtics belong at #1...

Among examples we've brought up have been all time regular season record head to head (Boston leads)....Finals results head to head (Boston leads 9-3 as you stated)...winning percentage in championship appearances (Boston .809 at 17-4....Lakers  .516 at 16-15....LA Lakers .423 at 11-15)

Celtic fans believe that the reason the Minny banner was hung 43 years after the team moved to LA was an attempt to bring the franchise championships a bit closer...Laker fans say that is not the truth.......who really knows?

you mentioned the modern NBA....that time frame is pretty much universally recognized as the league that operated under the shot clock rule (beginning with the '54/'55 season)....before that it was a different game....I can give you just two of many examples to illustrate how different a game basketball was before the shot clock...

The Fort Wayne Pistons defeated the Minneapolis Lakers by a score of 19-18....they accomplished this feat by outscoring the Lakers 3-1 in the 4th quarter

in another game Rochester and Indianapolis played a six overtime game.....and unbelievably there was a total of one shot taken during each overtime....can you even imagine calling that professional basketball?....but that's the way the game could be played before the league brought in the shot clock along with a few other changes...

I am not knocking anyone here....I believe that the Celtics and the Lakers are the two greatest franchises in league history and the greatest rivalry....I simply feel that, in terms of the greatest franchise tag, the Celtics deserve the #1 ranking....and, once again, this is my opinion...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

Understandable that fans of both teams have plenty of ammunition in the argument.  No matter what the Lakers do (even if they win 10 of the next 20 championships), it would likely not be enough in the mind of Celtics fans, who are proud of their own history.  And I'm not going waste time trying to convince you all otherwise.  

I find it somewhat similar to the Jordan - Kobe comparisons.  Both players did certain things better than the other.  At this point, I would give the slightest edge to Jordan, although Kobe is still writing his resume.  I think most objective fans would say it is at least a legitimate conversation, but all the Kobe haters won't, and it's not really based on any stats.  Even if you reversed all the stats that Kobe haters say favor Jordan, and those stats/arguments were in favor of Kobe, the haters would still say Jordan was the best, and it's because he was the first of his kind.  Many people hold "the original" in higher esteem, and Kobe could finish with 10 rings and it still wouldn't be enough in the eyes of Jordan supporters, because Jordan was the first of his kind.  I think the same is true here.  Depending on where you all consider the MN Lakers to be in history (separate from or part of the Lakers tradition), you could reasonably say the Celtics were the first truly dominant franchise in the NBA.  They haven't been for a while, and the Lakers have caught (and in our opinion) surpassed them as the best franchise.  But even if the next 30 years go the same as the last 30, I don't expect any of you would change your opinion about which franchise is the greatest.  That's fine, that is to be expected among fans.  But we've been on top for a while and aren't going anywhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Understandable that fans of both teams have plenty of ammunition in the argument.  No matter what the Lakers do (even if they win 10 of the next 20 championships), it would likely not be enough in the mind of Celtics fans, who are proud of their own history.  And I'm not going waste time trying to convince you all otherwise.   I find it somewhat similar to the Jordan - Kobe comparisons.  Both players did certain things better than the other.  At this point, I would give the slightest edge to Jordan, although Kobe is still writing his resume.  I think most objective fans would say it is at least a legitimate conversation, but all the Kobe haters won't, and it's not really based on any stats.  Even if you reversed all the stats that Kobe haters say favor Jordan, and those stats/arguments were in favor of Kobe, the haters would still say Jordan was the best, and it's because he was the first of his kind.  Many people hold "the original" in higher esteem, and Kobe could finish with 10 rings and it still wouldn't be enough in the eyes of Jordan supporters, because Jordan was the first of his kind.  I think the same is true here.  Depending on where you all consider the MN Lakers to be in history (separate from or part of the Lakers tradition), you could reasonably say the Celtics were the first truly dominant franchise in the NBA.  They haven't been for a while, and the Lakers have caught (and in our opinion) surpassed them as the best franchise.  But even if the next 30 years go the same as the last 30, I don't expect any of you would change your opinion about which franchise is the greatest.  That's fine, that is to be expected among fans.  But we've been on top for a while and aren't going anywhere.
    Posted by ItsNot1966anymor[/QUOTE]

The only true statement is you are not going anywhere.  You can thank koME for that - he won't win 10 rings, or even 6, and he'll NEVER be Jordan......he's not even Magic..........who's not Jordan!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you? : The only true statement is you are not going anywhere.  You can thank koME for that - he won't win 10 rings, or even 6, and he'll NEVER be Jordan......he's not even Magic..........who's not Jordan!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

The more insistent you are about the Lakers future, the sillier you will look a couple years from now.  I loved how the Celtics went to the morgue for last year's free agents, bringing the O'Neals out of their coffins.  Whose career on life support will you dredge up this summer?  Are Cliff Robinson and Tom Gugliotta still in the League?  You might have a chance at Wally Szerbiak and Antonio McDyess, if you throw in a free respirator.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Seems the additions of Brown, Blake, Barnes, Joe Smith and Theo Ratliff did WONDERS for your team...........what a jerk!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]Seems the additions of Brown, Blake, Barnes, Joe Smith and Theo Ratliff did WONDERS for your team...........what a jerk!
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

LOL. Funny and true. Theo Ratclif sure was a winner. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsSox. Show CeltsSox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Laker fans where are you? : Welcome back. I was hoping you'd return. 
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget[/QUOTE]

Flobus, I officially disagree with everything positive that you and jofc have posted about the Lakers. That is, with the exception of the great character of Chick, Jerry West, Bill Sharman, Mitch, and a few others. Dr. Buss, Phil Jackson, and Pat Riley....we're better off not debating their contribution and public comments. With that said, I welcome yours and jofc's participation in our home territory. Perhaps, the disgruntled and disrespectful Lakers fans can learn from your approach!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

not 1966,
    Is it really hard for you understand that you are on a Celtic board talking about the Lakers and attempting to make a case for them. We really don't care, you are intruding on a BB at least politely for now but why persist. We are never going to agree with you. We also look at your number of posts with suspicion and have to think you have been here before in some other maybe not so nice incarnation. Think what you want but go to Laker BB and make your case. We don't care here.  You can understand that, can't you.  And good luck.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

'66.....not true as far as my opinion goes......if the Lakers surpass us by one championship I will still point out the 9-3 disparity and our overall dominant winning percentage in the Finals....but if they go on a roll and really get ahead of us then I will give them their due and place them at #1.....one thing I have to ask....based on the info I produced regarding the early NBA....do you think the 5 Minny championships rank up there with the LA 11 and the Boston 17, both set in the modern era (as defined by the overwhelming opinion of most fans and the media)?I'm just asking you....because, in reality, right now....that is what is fueling this debate....I respectfully await your reply....by the way, I do mean respect....you seem to be a knowledgeable poster and certainly, in my opinion, you are definitely not a troll!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Concord.......almost forgot....thank you for your support my friend!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

[QUOTE]not 1966, Is it really hard for you understand that you are on a Celtic board talking about the Lakers and attempting to make a case for them. We really don't care, you are intruding on a BB at least politely for now but why persist. We are never going to agree with you. We also look at your number of posts with suspicion and have to think you have been here before in some other maybe not so nice incarnation. Think what you want but go to Laker BB and make your case. We don't care here.  You can understand that, can't you.  And good luck.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

If you didn't want us to show up, then why did you ask us tauntingly where we're at?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Cuz it was easier than getting a name like it's not 2010 anymore - which it isn't!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

[QUOTE]'66.....not true as far as my opinion goes......if the Lakers surpass us by one championship I will still point out the 9-3 disparity and our overall dominant winning percentage in the Finals....but if they go on a roll and really get ahead of us then I will give them their due and place them at #1.....one thing I have to ask....based on the info I produced regarding the early NBA....do you think the 5 Minny championships rank up there with the LA 11 and the Boston 17, both set in the modern era (as defined by the overwhelming opinion of most fans and the media)?I'm just asking you....because, in reality, right now....that is what is fueling this debate....I respectfully await your reply....by the way, I do mean respect....you seem to be a knowledgeable poster and certainly, in my opinion, you are definitely not a troll!!!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

I'll give my thoughts here and then probably depart for a while.  I'm absolutely a Lakers fan first, but also a NBA fan in general, and it seems this site is full of too many people who are only Celtics fans....exhausting!!!  I really don't know about the MN Lakers place in history.  I consider them to be part of "Lakers" history.  I grew up in the 80s as a Lakers fan, and I was always aware of the history of George Mikan and the MN Lakers.  It was never "hidden" or ignored among Lakers fans, so I always assumed that the Lakers tradition included both the L.A. and MN days.  If you consider the MN Lakers to be separate, then I suppose they would be the first "dynasty", but that's a better question for you and your peers who watched the NBA before it had 20 teams.  As to why the MN titles were not recognized with a banner until recently, I don't think anyone can be sure.  I personally think it's due to Dr. Buss' ego.  He took over a team that had a history of underachieving, and he wanted his stamp to be on the franchise.  You don't do that by hanging 5 banners from the MN days and celebrating someone else's success.  I think once he got 6 of his own and surpassed the MN titles, it was okay for his ego to embrace and officially acknowledge the MN titles.  So, perhaps you might say that Lakers management (particularly Dr Buss) did not embrace the MN titles until recently, but myself and other fans have always considered George Mikan a Laker, and the Lakers tradition to include the 1950s teams.  Only recently did the Lakers number of titles approach Boston's, and we all considered the MN titles to belong to the "Lakers" long before that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Not 1966,
    You reveal you true colors you are nothing but a troll.  The thread was in reaction to the in your face constant pestering of laker idiot fans who choose to badger and inject themselves into Celtic fans discussions.  We do nothing to seek you out you come in here and annoy with us always with us only reacting. All you have to do is stay away and talk to laker brethren. We want bother you and you won't ever hear from us.  

Actually I am sorry I started the thread the question was meant to be an observation due to the silence after Sunday's loss.  You know it was not directed at trolls like you waiting to try on a new persona with just 11 posts. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

[QUOTE]Not 1966, You reveal you true colors you are nothing but a troll.  The thread was in reaction to the in your face constant pestering of laker idiot fans who choose to badger and inject themselves into Celtic fans discussions.  We do nothing to seek you out you come in here and annoy with us always with us only reacting. All you have to do is stay away and talk to laker brethren. We want bother you and you won't ever hear from us.   Actually I am sorry I started the thread the question was meant to be an observation due to the silence after Sunday's loss.  You know it was not directed at trolls like you waiting to try on a new persona with just 11 posts. 
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

If by Troll, you mean someone who offers objective opinions, doesn't live their life in the past, and dares to offer something more than the standard old herd mentality of "Celtics are the best thing in the world", then yes, I guess I am.  I always thought a Troll was a narrow-minded person with no perspective who answers reasoned opinions with mere insults.  In that case, you're right, you don't need me, because there are plenty of trolls here calling themselves Celtics fans.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

It's a CELTICS forum!!!  Of course it is about the Celtics.  Ever read the lakers blogs on the LA Times?  Some of your "objective" posts would be deleted before they were even posted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Yep, that sounds like you!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Hedley,
    The new improved troll uses mind bending nonsense to annoy just as much as they did when they are aggressively pestering.  Don't they understand they are intruders choosing to taunt and pick fights with their most hated rival. We could do the same thing but we are not looking to upset Laker fans who want to discuss there team on there own blogs.  

Sections
Shortcuts