Can both these statements be true?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Can both these statements be true?

1.) Rondo is a Bum (paraphrasing the combined critizism over last few weeks)

2.)  If Rondo does not get it together, this team is going Nowhere.

I dont know, maybe its just me, but I find it amusing that all these people can call for Rondo's head and ask for other pg's to come here, and even suggest he be replaced with the likes of Arroyo and West.  One who was dumped by a team desperate for help, and the other who was dumped for being a crazy mother Effer! and cant stay healthy more than a week. 

Doesnt are star pg deserve more than that.  Than to be cast aside for 3rd tier players because of a  current slump that has also hampered every other player at some point this year?

Which is it?  Does he S uck?  or is he the key to our success?  You cant have ti both ways...Dont say he s ucks and you want to trade him, but after losses you say if Rondo doesnt play better  we are in trouble.?!  If he is that bad, shouldnt we win despite him?  If He does not make the big 3 better then why is the whole team struggling while Rondo is in a rut?  Was anyone overly impressed with arroyo last night?  Me personally, Im growing a bit tired of Arroyo already...he is a good guy to let Rondo rest, but we wouldnt do squat with this guy starting...He shoots the ball as if he is confident, but it those 2 baseline bunnies he missed back to back were Way off, and he dribbles around too much and doesnt find the man on the pick and roll, so Yeah, stop with the Arroyo talk...he is just a journeyman bandaid that wont be here next year accept to play second fiddle...

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: Can both these statements be true?

In Response to Can both these statements be true?:
    1.) Rondo is a Bum (paraphrasing the combined critizism over last few weeks) 2.)  If Rondo doenst get it together, this team is going Nowhere. I dont know, maybe its just me, but I find it amusing that all these people can call for Rondo's head and ask for other pg's to come here, and even suggest he be replaced with the likes of Arroyo and West.  One who was dumped by a team desperate for help, and the other who was dumped for being a crazy mother Effer! and cant stay healthy more than a week.  Doesnt are star Pg deserve more than that.  Than to be cast aside for 3rd tier players because of a  current slump that has also hampered every other player at some point this year? Which is it?  Does he S uck?  or is he the key to our success?  You cant have ti both ways...Dont say he s ucks and you want to trade him, but after losses you say if Rondo doesnt play better  we are in trouble.?!  If he is that bad, shouldnt we win despite him?  If He does not make the big 3 better then why is the whole team struggling while Rondo is in a rut?  Was anyone overly impressed with arroyo last night?  Me personally, Im growing a bit tired of Arroyo already...he is a good guy to let Rondo rest, but we wouldnt do squat with this guy starting...He shoots the ball as if he is confident, but it those 2 baseline bunnies he missed back to back were Way off, and he dribbles around too much and doesnt find the man on the pick and roll, so Yeah, stop with the Arroyo talk...he is just a journeyman bandaid that wont be here next year accept to play second fiddle... Thoughts?
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Here is what I think we can safely agree on.

He is and has always been overrated.

He is a liability on offense but has had 3 of the greatest players in history to hand the ball to - so that has led him to being "perfect for this team", as if having a better all around player or even a lesser player in certain areas but much better in other would be a bad thing.

He is pouting over losing Perk - Perk was never an option in the offense but the BIG 3 like having Krstic because he is an option in the offense and they quite often find Krstic for a better shot - the takes an assist for Rondo out of the play.  So losing Perk, his friend, is hard emotionally but it also hurts his assists stat.

Several weeks ago Doc told Rondo he needs to be more aggressive going to the hoop and start taking open shots and this has exposed him.  He can't finish, can't get the ball wet standing in the ocean up to his waist, can't shoot free throws - Doc has asked him to do things he very simply cannot do - Doc has asked him to be a complete player - he isn't and this has taken him out of his comfort zone.

So when all is said and done - Rondo with his warts is all they have right now.

Given this I think in the playoffs West will run the team in tight situations because he is a very good shooter, good finisher, good passer, makes his free throws, and requires someone to play defense against him making it easier for his teammates to get open shots.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Oh you mean D.West, the guy who can barely bring the ball up when pressured in the backcourt.  I love him off the bench to provide a scoring punch, but he is limited in his playmaking ability,and the big 3 would suffer if they played too many minutes with West, but West should be able to flourish offensively with them...but not sure he would make that many plays..

Seeing as though the playoffs are much more physical I think we should caution on how much we expect from D.West and his fragile limbs.

Seems you agree that Doc that has caused his funk by confusing him and putting pressure to shoot, yet you point to Perk as the reason he is slumping.  I think both can be factors ahve some merit..We all mention the fact that Perk was a leader on the court and how his chipmunk scoul would intimidate, but how about his leadership off the court being missed and the fact that we havent been a tough team since he left , depsite people saying it was K.G. who brought the toughness.  I think we underated Perks value as a leader and telling guys to suck it up, and now they are slacking....just my humble opinion.  I'd buy that before I buy that Rondo just forgot how to play all of a sudden.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Can both these statements be true?:
    Oh you mean D.West, the guy who can barely bring the ball up when pressured in the backcourt.  I love him off the bench to provide a scoring punch, but he is limited in his playmaking ability,and the big 3 would suffer if they played too many minutes with West, but West should be able to flourish offensively with them...but not sure he would make that many plays.. Seeing as though the playoffs are much more physical I think we should caution on how much we expect from D.West and his fragile limbs. Seems you agree that Doc that has caused his funk by confusing him and putting pressure to shoot, yet you point to Perk as the reason he is slumping.  I think both can be factors ahve some merit..We all mention the fact that Perk was a leader on the court and how his chipmunk scoul would intimidate, but how about his leadership off the court being missed and the fact that we havent been a tough team since he left , depsite people saying it was K.G. who brought the toughness.  I think we underated Perks value as a leader and telling guys to suck it up, and now they are slacking....just my humble opinion.  I'd buy that before I buy that Rondo just forgot how to play all of a sudden.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I didn't say that Rondo forgot how to play all of a sudden.  What I did say is that he is incapable for doing what his coach has instructed him to do.

Regarding Perk - I don't care about his leadership blah blah blah, I think there is no player in the league whose perspective of his own game and his actual game can be more divergent There are things that can be seen from space - the great wall of China, the Grand Canyon, the chasm between Perk's actual game and his perception of it.

If we want to slice the blame pie I think it goes somethink like this - 5% Rondo is hurt, 5% Perk's departure, 90% he can't do what Doc asks him to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

So would we better off without him in playing in the playoffs, or is he still the key to our success? That was my original question...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

So would we better off without him in playing in the playoffs, or is he still the key to our success? That was my original question...
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I don't think he has ever been the key to their success so I am not sure how he could still be the key to the team's success.  They won a title with him in his second year when he was still trying to learn how to get to the airport and when KG was hurt Rondo didn't step up and lead the team and when they have had a rash of injuries this year has he taken over games like one might see point guards in NO or NJ or OKC or Chicago do on a nightly basis?  That would be a big NO...... last night was Rondo's third 2 point game in the last dozen or so.  No Shaq - no title, no Pierce - no title, no KG - no title, no Ray - no title, no Rondo but the other 4 healthy potential title.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Is Rondo key to our winning in the playoffs?

My opinion is No.  I think we can do just as well with a combo of Arroyo and West at the point than having Rondo at the point...If we lost any of the other starters, or Davis, Shaq or Green we would be in trouble.  but Rondo is the most replaceable IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Posted by JayShizzle45

Jay's question is very important. I expected Dudder to write off Rondo, but
    I want to hear the rest of copycat who thinks we are doomed with Rondo.
    So....are we better off without him in the playoffs?

I like that question very much -- which I said over and over -- do we have any choice? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Is Rondo key to our winning in the playoffs? My opinion is No.  I think we can do just as well with a combo of Arroyo and West at the point than having Rondo at the point...If we lost any of the other starters, or Davis, Shaq or Green we would be in trouble.  but Rondo is the most replaceable IMO.
    Posted by Eldunker

Certainly most replaceable among the starters I agree but I think they are going to need Green, Baby, Krstic, West, and Arroyo.  As I posted in another thread - No Shaq - no title, No KG - no title, No Pierce - no title, No Ray - no title, No Rondo - light it up Red.......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  I suppose you think scoring is the only way you can take over a game.  I thought Rondo played well in the 09' playoffs, but we had a serious mismatch with Baby covering R.Lewis that kept us from advancing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I think the point is missed..

Its not Rondo is a bum vs We need Rondo to win.

Its we need Rondo to play up to his capabilities and with full effort if we are going to win, not the way hes been playing lately.

Rondo can excel at certain aspects of the game on this team, but he has many limitations. He needs to do what he does well and put the effort into everything else.... that gives us a good edge over the competition.

If Rondo continues playing as he has for the recent long stretch of games, being careless, non aggressive, lax defensively etc, etc... we will have  trouble getting out of the East.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  I suppose you think scoring is the only way you can take over a game.  I thought Rondo played well in the 09' playoffs, but we had a serious mismatch with Baby covering R.Lewis that kept us from advancing.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Agree to disagree on what?  Stars take over games yes usually by picking up the scoring load - so like Iggy is giving Pierce fits and Brand is eliminating KG and Young and others are making Ray irrelevant and Rondo has a 20 year old guarding he drops 12 points and 5 assists doesn't take a 3 and doesn't take a free throw and oh ummm they lose.

As I have said many times, if the Cs are a ferrari - KG is the engine, Pierce the transmission, Ray the suspension, Rondo the chrome valve stem covers, and when Perk was here he was the coat hanger antenna because some a hole came along and busted the real antenna out of jealousy....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

As I have said many times, if the Cs are a ferrari - KG is the engine, Pierce the transmission, Ray the suspension, Rondo the chrome valve stem covers, and when Perk was here he was the coat hanger antenna because some a hole came along and busted the real antenna out of jealousy....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

This is Blashpemy!....I wish he would get hurt for the playoffs, just so you could see how bad we would look.  I didnt see Arroyo mounting a comeback when he was in.

Let me see, how does Big Baby get those wide open 12 footers?, mostly due to Rondo's penetration.  How about those perfect pass to Ray on the wing that cant be duplicated by other everage pg's, namely Nate (Arroyo hasnt impressed me with his playmaking either)

Dudder "well you cant say that about K.G., he is a post player"  welp! seems K.G. gets all of his wide open Jumpers from Rondo too...and I will give Paul Pirece his props for being the only player (besides Green off the bench) that can effectively create their own shot, and the Celtics system is based on pin point passing by moving the ball, setting screens, and so forth.  West and Arroyo are pretty decent scorers but if you think this offense operates the same with either one running the show excusively, you really do have an issue with R.R. personally and just dont want to give him any due props....Fine with me...but I'm done on that subject.  I saw ALL I needed to see.   I will consider you either 1.) non-celtics fans or Rondo Haters or   2.) dont know much about basketball...choose one.....lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

This is Blashpemy!....I wish he would get hurt for the playoffs, just so you could see how bad we would look.  I didnt see Arroyo mounting a comeback when he was in. Let me see, how does Big Baby get those wide open 12 footers?, mostly due to Rondo's penetration.  How about those perfect pass to Ray on the wing that cant be duplicated by other everage pg's, namely Nate (Arroyo hasnt impressed me with his playmaking either) Dudder "well you cant say that about K.G., he is a post player"  welp! seems K.G. gets all of his wide open Jumpers from Rondo too...and I will give Paul Pirece his props for being the only player (besides Green off the bench) that can effectively create their own shot, and the Celtics system is based on pin point passing by moving the ball, setting screens, and so forth.  West and Arroyo are pretty decent scorers but if you think this offense operates the same with either one running the show excusively, you really do have an issue with R.R. personally and just dont want to give him any due props....Fine with me...but I'm done on that subject.  I saw ALL I needed to see.   I will consider you either 1.) non-celtics fans or Rondo Haters or   2.) dont know much about basketball...choose one.....lol
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Let's see their winning percentage when Rondo was hurt is better than their overall winning percentage (when you exclude the games KG also missed while Rondo was hurt).

Let's see if understand this correctly and will use some paraphrasing to try to make my point....

Cedric Maxwell - "no offense to Rondo but the ball actually moves much better when he is not on the floor"

National announcers - "if Rondo could start making those jumpers" - partner "there is a reason he is that wide open"

Coach K - "we can't afford to have people on the floor that can't shoot"

Doc Rivers after the finals - "Rondo's lack of shooting really hurt us"

KG is not a post player - he is a 2 guard in a 7 foot body.

Think whatever you want, that is why we all have opinions and are entitled to them.

Give second year player Steph Curry summer ball, a training camp, preseason with the Cs and the BIG 3 and everyone on the planet would be saying Rondo who?   Oh and you can say that about at least a dozen other guys in the league.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

True Rondo dribbles a lot.  he is a pg, he is looking for an open player. Everyone that can shoot still needs to get the ball in their spot when they are open.  Rondo is not good out hitting kick out jumpers. 

These things we know, but we still won with him despite those weaknesses.

I never mentioned Steph Curry. Who is not been that impressive to me anyway, but the point is. people are saying we are better with Arroy and West!  Please dont change the argument...There are not 12 other players available to play with us right now.  We have Bradley, Arroyo, and Maybe a one leg, one wrist West....so THIS year, which is all I care about, (cuz i could be dead this time next year), we have those 3, and you can honestly say Rondo does not give us the best chance to win, and you believe he will play this poorly throughout the playoffs as well?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

True Rondo dribbles a lot.  he is a pg, he is looking for an open player. Everyone that can shoot still needs to get the ball in their spot when they are open.  Rondo is not good out hitting kick out jumpers.  These things we know, but we still won with him despite those weaknesses. I never mentioned Steph Curry. Who is not been that impressive to me anyway, but the point is. people are saying we are better with Arroy and West!  Please dont change the argument...There are not 12 other players available to play with us right now.  We have Bradley, Arroyo, and Maybe a one leg, one wrist West....so THIS year, which is all I care about, (cuz i could be dead this time next year), we have those 3, and you can honestly say Rondo does not give us the best chance to win, and you believe he will play this poorly throughout the playoffs as well?
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I know you didn't mention Steph Curry I did.

I know there are 3 guys there, so here we go.  West and Arroyo have 18 games to get healthy and understand the system and they both provide offense that Rondo severely lacks.  Their weaknesses are Rondo's strengths and vice versa.

Does Rondo give them the best chance to win of the 3 they have?  Not if he is going to play the way he is now.

When the playoffs come, the game becomes halfcourt sets and let me know if you heard this anywhere?  There are times when their offense really seems to struggle.....  um they have been playing 3 against 5 during the BIG 3 era, with Shaq at least it is 4 against 5.  In tight games I think we will see West running the team because at least it is then 5 against 5 on offense.

One thing that sticks in my mind from game 7 is that they scored 79 points.

People love to say "if Perk was there is game 7 they would have another title" but don't like to hear that if Bynum was playing then the way he is now there would have been no game 7.

I have heard for years Perk and Rondo don't need to score, there is plenty of scoring and as long as they do their jobs, everything will be fine..... 79 points.

Rondo can pout on the bench with a towel over his head while West is making jumpers, 3s, getting to the rim and getting to the line oh and making them (not at a record 26% like Rondo did last year).

Last time they played the Bulls - 79 points held below 90 by the Heat and Lakers and so on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Can both these statements be true? : I know you didn't mention Steph Curry I did. I know there are 3 guys there, so here we go.  West and Arroyo have 18 games to get healthy and understand the system and they both provide offense that Rondo severely lacks.  Their weaknesses are Rondo's strengths and vice versa. Does Rondo give them the best chance to win of the 3 they have?  Not if he is going to play the way he is now. When the playoffs come, the game becomes halfcourt sets and let me know if you heard this anywhere?  There are times when their offense really seems to struggle.....  um they have been playing 3 against 5 during the BIG 3 era, with Shaq at least it is 4 against 5.  In tight games I think we will see West running the team because at least it is then 5 against 5 on offense.   One thing that sticks in my mind from game 7 is that they scored 79 points. People love to say "if Perk was there is game 7 they would have another title" but don't like to hear that if Bynum was playing then the way he is now there would have been no game 7. I have heard for years Perk and Rondo don't need to score, there is plenty of scoring and as long as they do their jobs, everything will be fine..... 79 points. Rondo can pout on the bench with a towel over his head while West is making jumpers, 3s, getting to the rim and getting to the line oh and making them (not at a record 26% like Rondo did last year). Last time they played the Bulls - 79 points held below 90 by the Heat and Lakers and so on.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Bingo!!

Ill take Arroyo if Rondo keeps playing the way he has been lately...no brainer!

At least hes careful with the ball, must better & focused defender, can shoot jumpers & FT's, opens the floor up and moves the ball.

Hes not as good as Rondo when Rondo is at his best, no even close... but thats not the case right now by a long shot

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Can both these statements be true? : Bingo!! Ill take Arroyo if Rondo keeps playing the way he has been lately...no brainer! At least hes careful with the ball, must better & focused defender, can shoot jumpers & FT's, opens the floor up and moves the ball. Hes not as good as Rondo when Rondo is at his best, no even close... but thats not the case right now by a long shot
    Posted by Karllost

Give Arroyo the opportunity to play with this type of talent and I think we would Rondo is more a product of the talent surrounding him than his pure talent.  As I have said many times - 5% less athletic and he is a backup.

We have not seen the BIG 3 play with anyone else nor will we ever but they do have a higher winning percentage in the games Rondo did not play (when you exclude the games KG also did not play).

It boggles my mind that people think that the Cs would somehow be worse off with someone like Devin Harris who was an all-star before Rondo.  Rondo is an all-star because of who he plays with and will never be an all-star again especially if C Paul comes to the eastern conference.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

This is my point.  You really think Rondo is gonna play that way come May?

Even when he wasnt slumping , he still found ways to step up his game immensly during the playoffs and I expect no less this year unless he is not given the proper rest for the long haul.  I love D.West and hope he will be out there in the last 2 minutes because he is an excellent f/t shooter and can hit the open J, but he is never gonna get Ray the ball where he likes and is never gonna a run a team effectively...even with the West scenario that we both like, you still need a starter to get K.G., and Ray the ball. Pierce is the wildcard that cand excel on his own.  We all know how much energy it takes for K.G. to post his man and perform multiple McHale-esque moves to score in the paint and for the next few minutes he is gonna be gassed... These current O.G. hall of famers look great when Rondo is on, but without him passing, how much will Ray Allen and K.G. score?   prey tell

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

This is my point.  You really think Rondo is gonna play that way come May? Even when he wasnt slumping , he still found ways to step up his game immensly during the playoffs and I expect no less this year unless he is not given the proper rest for the long haul.  I love D.West and hope he will be out there in the last 2 minutes because he is an excellent f/t shooter and can hit the open J, but he is never gonna get Ray the ball where he likes and is never gonna a run a team effectively...even with the West scenario that we both like, you still need a starter to get K.G., and Ray the ball. Pierce is the wildcard that cand excel on his own.  We all know how much energy it takes for K.G. to post his man and perform multiple McHale-esque moves to score in the paint and for the next few minutes he is gonna be gassed... These current O.G. hall of famers look great when Rondo is on, but without him passing, how much will Ray Allen and K.G. score?   prey tell
    Posted by JayShizzle45

The depressing part of your post, if true, is we'd have to hope Rondo is on for the Big 3 to play well and have a shot at winning a title.

I dont believe thats necessarily the case although it would make life much easier. The Big 3 well HOF material before they hooked up with Rondo... RR didnt make them HOF'rs..

They can perform with an adequate PG who's spent some time playing with them. Thing is, we can lose RR and still be able to compete for a title imo..

but we cant lose KG or PP or even Ray... that would really hurt our chances dramatically.

The teams success doesnt hinge on Rondo, although he can be a big part of it when hes playing right. Whats annoying is that we have to wonder what kind of effort and performance he's going to give us. Not the position you want to be in

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Rondo is our MVP.  When he plays well - see last season V Cavs and Magic, the team goews to another level.  When he is under par, so is the team.

I think some of the criticism is unwarranted, but we are in a frustrating stretch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Rondo is our MVP.  When he plays well - see last season V Cavs and Magic, the team goews to another level.  When he is under par, so is the team. I think some of the criticism is unwarranted, but we are in a frustrating stretch.
    Posted by BoylestonBB

Rondo is NOT our MVP.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Re: Can both these statements be true? : Rondo is NOT our MVP.
    Posted by basketbert

MVP or not, Rondo is playing well and it is affecting the team greatly, he needs to step it up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

None of the big 3 came close to a championship on their own in their prime.  Terrel Brandon( i think) was a good scoring guard who played a lot of years in Miinesota.

Ray Allen had Sam Cassell ( a scoring a pg) who did not help Ray win a ring.

Pierce has had every pg imaginable play with him and none have had the same chemistry.

I think guys only remember how far they can see...which means you are now all of a sudden judging Rondo's whole career based on the last few weeks where the whole team has been in a funk at times, as said by Doc that they(meaning  the whole team) are not playing defense right now.  This is why we are losing, and I dont care that we cant score, cuz this team has always prided itself on getting stops and running.  Everyone on the team has been caught with their pants down on some no-names poster getting dunked on in the last few weeks...so the REAL statement should be "If the C's dont get their act together defensively, we are in Big trouble"  This is how we win Titles.  Not by asking Rondo to score 25 a night...

Its funny how people think Arroyo is the second coming of Mark Price...he clanged to wide open baseline bunnies back to back in one series and they werent even close...So Please Stop with the "Arroyo and West" will lead us to the promise land"  talk

I think the other problem is, like me, the C's probably cant wait for the playoffs to start and are antsy and looking ahead to aveneg their game 7 lost...they dont care about these games as much as Doc.....you know why? cuz Doc does not play...he just leaves players in too long..    the players more than likely know that if they dont rest and they keep going all out to keep pace they wont have anything left.  K.G. needs a fill up...he looks like he is running on fumes..Only Pierce looks fresh!  and he had a bad game last night too...

Sections
Shortcuts