Can Leon Powe replace Baby?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Can Leon Powe replace Baby?

He looked good in the last game we played against Memphis!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: Can Leon Powe replace Baby?

In Response to Can Leon Powe replace Baby?:
    Posted by DaCeltics

I love his heart and of course his story as well but I think the bone on bone is a real problem.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

If we can get him on the cheap...Better offense, lesser defense..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: Can Leon Powe replace Baby?:
    Posted by Ortiz123

Leon is still the best charge taker in the game!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

In Response to Can Leon Powe replace Baby?:
    Posted by DaCeltics

You have got to be kidding. BBD even at his worse was better than Powe dreamed of being this year. Another big NO! You think we can find Wallace or maybe get Eddie House back also? How is Posey? Yea, let's get him too. How about Gabe Pruitt? Whatever happened to him?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

No he can't...Powe will forever be a "woulda, coulda" kind of player due to injuries...he had his 15 minutes in 2008, love ya Leon, miss ya, but no he can't replace the round mound...Baby played too many minutes, got fat, lost his mojo, he's done, get rid of his fat asssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Who's gonna replace him?  I don't know.  Somebody that looks like a professional athlete and can catch a pass.  Baby took over the role of stone hands, he couldn't even get his hands up on a coupla those passes against miami, ... Stone Gut Davis!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I'd bring him back on a minimum salary. He showed me in the game against Memphis that he can still play. The C's can use his hard nosed type play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

I'll take Powe for Baby..is a better rebounder and we can get him very cheap.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

So much infactuation for former Celtics players....and most of them are over the hill and wased up!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from richardkc. Show richardkc's posts

how about BIG AL.. can we get him?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

I love both these guys because they are over achievers and bring lots of heart to the game. Although they basically fill the same slot, they are very different, and essentially flawed, players.

If it was a 30 game season, I'd take Powe everytime. I think he's a better player, quick to the basket, and fierce, despite being light and undersized. Pound for pound, he may be one of the toughest guys in the league, mentally and physically.

But sadly, injuries have probably destroyed his career. He's an accident waiting to happen. It's not if, but when.

I'd take him anyway. You can't have too many good people on the end of the bench. The "problem" is that Leon will make you play him. When you do, somebody is losing minutes that could help them, and your team, develop. Powe may even become an integral part of our rotation... and then, "IT" happens.

People forget Baby hurt his knee a month or so ago and was never the same afterwards. I forget whether he twisted it or had some lingering "itus." He put a few pounds on while resting it and recuperating. It was disasterous. He went from plus to minus. A 4th quarter closer to "Oh no!"

All the hard work Baby had done was on display nightly, prior to this. He had learned the rotations, used his quick feet, and took charge after punishing charge. Offensively, he had learned to use his quickness and big body to become an effective scorer. He hustled and gave them a fresh shot of the "energy" that Doc is always pleading for from the old ones. He had become the 4th quarter center, despite being vertically challenged and unable to jump.

He could be that guy again... BUT... how much will it cost? 

His end of the season collapse might help here, and keep interest down. But, his obvious immaturity may have worn thin and paved his way out of town. I hope not. Properly managed, he can help. What else is out there?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Still haven't learned the lesson that using 6-6 or 6-7 players as Centers will not work? LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Leon may be a help to this team and if we can sign him for a minimum salary, why not give him a chance.  Since we won't have much flexibility because of the new anticipated salary cap, it is going to be even more difficult for the Celtics to sign any additional players.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

we don't need another injury prone player

Too many moving parts already

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Healthy he would be interesting, but Glen has far more experience and is ahead of Leon at this time.  Glen will not be as easy to repalce as some of the novice on this board think.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Leon Powe isn't Glen Davis. IMO you can't be anything but a situational sub in the league at the 4 anymore unless you have a 17 foot jumper and Glen does and Leon doesn't.

Mr. Johnny Most made a great point about Davis' drop in performance running in line with his knee finally flaring up to the point it forced him to sit.

Now what will be interesting is if Glen Davis chooses to come back. Doc's "tell it to em' straight" style has not always been embraced by Davis and unlike Rondo he isn't the type of personality nor has the confidence to give Doc as good as he gets.

If there is more playing time (which appealed to TA) even if the money and years are similar he may opt not to be in KG shadows and Doc's whipping boy. Seems judging from Perkins the best way to gain recognition from C's fans if you aren't one of the Core Four is to go elsewhere.

:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: Can Leon Powe replace Baby?:
    Posted by Ortiz123
    he has alimited skillset not easy to get. loves going inside and a foul magnet. we have no big guys outside of shaq who can do that. leon has that perk intangible as well. but without the big contract. nice guy to  have on a team. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Too much desperation in a move like this.  While I understand that BBD looked horrible the last 3rd of the season, please try to remember the bulk of the work (year before last, last year, and the first 1/3 of this year).  That's a healthy BBD.  
    Now, think about Leon and his last 2 years.  Major injuries.  Playing "OK" but no where near BBD's level.  He's got major heart but his body won't let him have the great games consistently any more.  

So, we'd be trading an undersized power forward with proven performance for an undersized power forward with great heart and proven health issues.

What's to be gained?

Sections
Shortcuts