Can Melo turn into Hibbert?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Can Melo turn into Hibbert?

Hibbert was a lot further ahead of Melo when he came into the league which is why he was drafted much higher. 

Melo is still a project, don't expect to see him on the team next year either. I'm amazed by the fans who are denial that Melo is a 2-3 year project. He started playing basketball pretty late in his life. Unlike Hibbert whose parents introduced him to basketball when he was 2, yes, that's right, 2 years old. 

Hibbert had already led a junior team to a co-championship when he was still a teenager. He was a consensus 2nd team All American, helped Georgetown win the big east with a 17 point 11 board performance. He's a much more polished offensive player than Fab Melo at the same point in their development. Melo's resume doesn't have anything like that. Oh, and Hibbert had four years of college to polish his game and get coached up, Melo had only two.

I am hopeful like you Melo will be a contributor but the Hibbert comparison isn't based in reality...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

If Melo can somehow get to where Hibbert is...we have a true diamond in the rough. Hibbert wasn't any further ahead of Melo when he came into the league. I'm expecting Melo to play summer league this year and ahem cough cough...dominate.

"Hibbert wasn't any further ahead of Melo when he came into the league". You're kidding.....

Roy Hibbert's rookie season statistics:

YearTeam            GP    GS     MP    GFG%    3P%    FT%   RPG     APG      SPG     BPG     PPG

2008–09 Indiana 70     42    14.4  .471      .000    .667    3.5        .7        .3        1.1      7.1

Fab Melo's rookie season statistics:

YearTeam            GP    GS     MP    GFG%    3P%     FT%   RPG    APG       SPG     BPG    PPG

2012–13 Boston  6       0      6.0   .500       .000    .250     0.5     0.0       0.3      0.3       1.2

Hopefully he will turn into Hibbert in the near future to help the Celtics!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

If Melo can somehow get to where Hibbert is...we have a true diamond in the rough. Hibbert wasn't any further ahead of Melo when he came into the league. I'm expecting Melo to play summer league this year and ahem cough cough...dominate.

What are you talking about? Hibbert averaged 7 points and 4 boards a game in 14 minutes his rookie year.  He was WAY above Melo when he came into the legue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Melo has no chance of being Hibbert.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Are you'll aware that Hibbert was a project when he went to Georgetown. I watched him play in HS and College and never thought he deserved a scholarship to GT. He was a project when he got to Indy too.

I think Melo has a chance to be a good center. Just because the C's didn't play him doesn't mean a thing. keep in mind we are talking about a front office that doesn't even know what the words SIZE, CENTER, 6-10 and above mean.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

I think it will be VERY hard for Melo to ever be a solid contributor on a good team.  The nba has many promising young centers that are much further along than Melo.  D. Jordan, Cousins, A. Davis,  Magee,  Lopez, and Hibbert to name a few.

On top of that you have at least 6 big men in this draft alone, Noel,  Len,  Zeller, Adams, Plumlee, Gobert, and maybe Dieng, that are just as gifted physically and are as far, or further along than melo developmentally.  

I will root for him as long as he wears the green, but his task to be a good nba center is a daunting one considering the  landscape of talented big men coming up in the league right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Big difference between Fab and Roy is development. Roy went to Georgetown, which has a rich history of developing bigs under the teachings of the Thompsons (Ewing, Monroe, Hibbert, Mourning, Dikembe). Fab went to a school where the big man coach was suspended from the program. Roy has been playing for practically his entire life. Fab started playing 6 years ago. It's incredible to think about Fab even being considered as a NBA player if you factor in how LITTLE he has played.

Some of his highlights from the 26 point game he had this year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tqhgbSUkmM

I noticed a couple of things. His jumpshot is thoroughly improved. Boeheim used to roast Fab whenever he took a jumper. He had a couple of nice baseline jumpers early on in the highlights. His form is actually pretty good for a guy that size. I'm not saying it would be a primary weapon for him, but at least he has it in the aresenal. The baby hook later on in the highlights is also encouraging. That's more Hibbert's style. Fab scored a lot of his points on fast breaks, obviously. Means he's willing to run the floor, and not many bigs do that. His screens could probably be better, but he did have a few nice slip-and-rolls to the bucket for easy put ins. He's a project, but he's more polished now than I've ever seen him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:

Big difference between Fab and Roy is development. Roy went to Georgetown, which has a rich history of developing bigs under the teachings of the Thompsons (Ewing, Monroe, Hibbert, Mourning, Dikembe). Fab went to a school where the big man coach was suspended from the program. Roy has been playing for practically his entire life. Fab started playing 6 years ago. It's incredible to think about Fab even being considered as a NBA player if you factor in how LITTLE he has played.

Some of his highlights from the 26 point game he had this year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tqhgbSUkmM

I noticed a couple of things. His jumpshot is thoroughly improved. Boeheim used to roast Fab whenever he took a jumper. He had a couple of nice baseline jumpers early on in the highlights. His form is actually pretty good for a guy that size. I'm not saying it would be a primary weapon for him, but at least he has it in the aresenal. The baby hook later on in the highlights is also encouraging. That's more Hibbert's style. Fab scored a lot of his points on fast breaks, obviously. Means he's willing to run the floor, and not many bigs do that. His screens could probably be better, but he did have a few nice slip-and-rolls to the bucket for easy put ins. He's a project, but he's more polished now than I've ever seen him.

I actually hope you are right, but I would bet a lot you are wrong. Melo looks unskilled,  and without the athleticism that was advertised.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

I'm not sure what clarifies "as advertised". I saw every game he played in at Syracuse and he got significantly better the more he played. I saw him play in the Summer League and he looked even better. He moved better, he lost weight, and is still grasping how to play man-to-man defense. You're throwing a lot at a guy that hasn't been playing all too long. He won't be Hibbert (top-5 center in the NBA), but he'll be servicable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:

Thanks for the video clip! I see potential on both ends of the floor! Factor observed potential in with a 7-foot frame, a percentage of athletisism, and a desire to improve and you have b-ball player worth investing a few years in! 

Sections
Shortcuts