CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE KG VS. GASOL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE KG VS. GASOL

this is the matchup ive been waiting for the most sense ive witnessed kevin garnett's resurgence. ppl have been saying hes on the payback trail? well, wait till he sees mr. gasol. NTM gasol has been strutting around this yr acting like a jerk..he has a HUGE head all of a sudden. i cant wait for kg to show him wats in store for him in this years finals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Re: CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE KG VS. GASOL

Huh..? LA is going to make it to the finals this year?? That's news to me!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

As much as we would like to see KG match up against Gasol in some meaningful series (NBA Finals), I think we need to focus on KG matching up against Bosh and Amare and Boozer right now.

The Lakers are struggling and they just don't look like the Lakers of the past.  Honestly, I just can't see Bynum as being the final missing piece.  They are not playing well right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Even assuming it comes down to this, Gasol cannot guard KG.  Pau will gets some points and some rebounds, but he is a soft, soft defender.  Add in to this mix a healthy Shaq and Perkins, and it's all a moot point.  KG is going to romp.

But imo Petey's right...there are much more legitimate concerns than a fading western team right now.  LA isn't going to win the west this year.  Flame on, haters, but they're not even the second best team out west right now. 

For what it's worth, though,  Bosch has looked intimidated and/or overmatched this season when playing KG.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I agree we need to win the East first.  The Heat are playing better, but are an injury away from a 6 seed.  The Knicks are the team I'm worried about right now.  Add Melo to that team?  Yikes!!  Chicago is very good, too.  And, of course, there is Orlando.  Yes, let's focus on being healthy and coming out of the East first.

Do not worry about the lakers!!  Given Stern's love affair with them, Kupchak being good, and all the new sneaker commercials out there, Stern would probably let Kupchak trade Sasha and Karl Malone's contract for Anthony!!  (joking!!)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Chicago is scary good.  Rose is an unbelievable bball player.  He lit-up the Lakers last night.  LA was literally scratching their collective head over how to guard this guy. 

I'm also concerned about the Knicks.  Amare is playing out of his mind right now, and the addition of Melo could pose some threats in the east.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Amare and Melo a good match, I don't think so.  They will dilute each others talents as Lebron and Wade have done in Miami.  Being scared of the KNicks is a joke at this point. They are no better than the Grizzlies or Bucks.  Who are young getting better teams but not like the Celtics.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

im not worried about the bulls..they are prolly a yr or 2 from being on the celtics level, and Boozer cant guard ANYBODY. bosh is soft. amare is a problem but he doesnt have the supporting cast to bail him out wen we would key on him. lets be clear, the lakers are struggling right now, but they WILL be there in June..at least western conference finals..they are kind of like us last yr..coasting to the playoffs..granted its a bit early ,but they are not a complete team without bynum, similar to us in 09 without kg.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

In Response to Re: CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE KG VS. GASOL:
    [QUOTE]im not worried about the bulls..they are prolly a yr or 2 from being on the celtics level, and Boozer cant guard ANYBODY. bosh is soft. amare is a problem but he doesnt have the supporting cast to bail him out wen we would key on him. lets be clear, the lakers are struggling right now, but they WILL be there in June..at least western conference finals..they are kind of like us last yr..coasting to the playoffs..granted its a bit early ,but they are not a complete team without bynum, similar to us in 09 without kg.
    Posted by Jamez+Hill[/QUOTE]

I really don't know about that.  Both Dallas and Utah are playing very well.  I don't think the Spurs will keep it up.  But Utah has a very well built team at this point.  I will give you one thing though. If I had to bet money I would bet the Lakers would come out of the West.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I do think the Spurs can keep it up if they stay healthy of course. That's always a factor. Dallas and Utah are also playing well. Utah will get their Euopean center back soon. What's his name again? Therefore they will get better. I can't count out the Lakers. I hate them but they are the champions.
        Off the topic. Have any of you watched the Clips much with Blake Griffin? This kid is a basketball stud and a half.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Jamez,
    You have to wait untill Jan 30.
    If you're talking playoffs, you wish may not come true.
    On the other hand, it's only the forst quarter, of the season, that is, and Lakers can pull Celtics (of the last season) and get to the Finals. As for Celtics being there, I think they have no other choice.

AK

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Pau is being worked to death at the moment, we don't have enough depth right now to give him a decent spell on the bench during games. KG is only playing a tick over 32 minutes a game, compared with Pau's 39 which hopefully won't lead to a serious injury later this season.

As to Blake Griffin, seems to be a decent player. I don't foresee him staying with the Clippers for too long though. Perhaps he'll join the Sonics when New Orleans moves up to Seattle?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

I want to see Perk back against Gasol again.  Forget who first wrote it, but he used the phrase, "flamingo stuck in a cement mixer," to describe Perk's D against Gasol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]Pau is being worked to death at the moment, we don't have enough depth right now to give him a decent spell on the bench during games. KG is only playing a tick over 32 minutes a game, compared with Pau's 39 which hopefully won't lead to a serious injury later this season. As to Blake Griffin, seems to be a decent player. I don't foresee him staying with the Clippers for too long though. Perhaps he'll join the Sonics when New Orleans moves up to Seattle?
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]
    Pau's just got that tweaked hamstring he needs to watch.  I wouldn't worry too much about it, RUWorthy.  When he's out of the lineup, the Lakers' play is noticeably diminished.  Jackson may needle Gasol to try and get more out of him, but he doesn't want him out for a protracted length of time.  Besides, isn't Bynum due back in a week?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Don't get your hopes up. If Bynum doesn't return soon, by the time the Celtics face the Lakers on January 31, 2011, it could be Gasol sitting on that Laker bench unable to play because of injury. 

Expecting someone to play 40 minutes every game and not get hurt is unrealistic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Let us hope for another Celtics/Lakers finals. Stern will do every thing in his power to assure this, but, as has been said, let's not get ahead of ourselves and get through the East first.

With Perk, Shaq and Jermaine coming back rested (and Delonte) I like the looks of how this season is shaping up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Gasol made his reputation by playing well against a diminished KG last year. Before he was injured, KG alway ate Gasol's lunch. The 2008 finals are a good example of their previous encounters.

The two great power forwards of this era have been KG and Duncan. However, Duncan is really a Center that wants to be known as a power forward, just like KG likes to be known as 6' 11' instead of his real 7'1". Even against Duncan, a true center, KG has usually gotten the best of the match-up. While Duncan has more championships, I think that most Celtic and Wolves fans would view this as more of an accident of the NBA draft, than superior play by Duncan.

Gasol who?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Jump, you may be underselling Duncan a bit there.  While not flashy, he's essentially eaten anybody's lunch while in his prime.  Parker and Ginobli were not all stars when Duncan was carrying that team. He's been the one point over consistency for them over the years.  But, he's older now and that will work to our advantage if we have to face him.   I do think the Spurs can keep this going and go deep in the playoffs, as can the Mavs.  The west is very deep with Utah, Lakers, Spurs, and Mavs.  Don't underestimate any of them.

As for the East, Chicago is a good team, but Rose has one flaw that the Celtics ALWAYS take advantage of.....he's too dominant with the ball.  Lebron, Howard, and Wade all were "one man teams" and we do very well against that.  Spurs, Lakers, and Mavs are more balance (like the Celtics) and they will give us more trouble.

KG will East Gasol's lunch if they go head to head!  Celtics are best/deepest in the league if we get and stay healthy!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LightSaber. Show LightSaber's posts

Don't sell Tim Duncan short. When KG was in Minnesota he only got past the 1st round of the playoffs once. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I used to watch most of the games between the Spurs and the Wolves and Duncan did not eat KG's lunch. While some times it was a draw, KG usually out performed Duncan head to head. Yes, Duncan's team had a better record; however, the KG - Duncan match up was not like Russ vs. Wilt. As you have seen, KG and Duncan are both team first players. It is more like Russ on a good team vs Russ on a bad team. Yes, KG's team only made it past the first round once, and probably would have won the title if both of their point guards had not fallen. One could make a very strong case that making the play-offs every year was a great achievement for the Wolves in the KG era. Lebron's teams did'nt do it. It was more like Larry Bird's Indiana State team going to the NCAA finals with Bird as the only quality player on the team, than great teams playing against each other. Most sports writers write what sells, and major in journalism, not Basketball. The truth can be more complex.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Jump, I understand your points.   I just respectfully disagree.

Its not the one on one's that Duncan dominated KG.  Sorry if I implied that.  (I don't think ANYONE ate KG's lunch one on one).  Its that Duncan did so much for his team dominating the league night in and night out for his entire career and at the right time of the game (for wins).  I'm saying you are underselling Duncan if you think it was just a matter of the draft.  Duncan is, in my opinion, the greatest power forward to play the game  and KG is maybe 3rd of 4th (certainly 3rd behind McHale).   I love KG but I don't want to sell Duncan short.   Duncan was better from the early point in his career (better rebounder and scorer - check the stats of both of their early careers).  A lot of that is because Duncan stayed 4 years and was NBA ready while KG came from high school and took about 4 years to reach double digit rebounds and 20 ppg.  Check the stats.    

Duncan has had the longer outstanding career and for that reason, I give him the edge.  KG is my man and right now - I'd take today's KG over today's Duncan.....but I'd take Duncan's career work over KG's career work and not just because of what their teams did.   KG's dominance started his 4th or 5th yr in the league.  Tim's dominance (stats, not just championships) started his first year.

As for a center, Duncan is 6'11" and he's always played the natural power forward.  He's always performed better when he hasn't had to bang with a center.  He stands short of and couldn't jump with Shaq, Howard, David Robinson, Dampier, Djop, Hakeem, etc. and other centers of his time.  He's a power forward (as is KG due to his weight and skills).   BOTH are power forwards - sorry, I don't buy your argument about him being a natural center who wants to be known as a forward).

Magic wasn't a natural forward because he was 6'9 like Eddie House isn't a natural point guard because he's 6'1 (just to name 2 extremes).   Height isn't the determinant of your position.  Skill set and what position on the court you learned to play are more the factors.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]I used to watch most of the games between the Spurs and the Wolves and Duncan did not eat KG's lunch. While some times it was a draw, KG usually out performed Duncan head to head. Yes, Duncan's team had a better record; however, the KG - Duncan match up was not like Russ vs. Wilt. As you have seen, KG and Duncan are both team first players. It is more like Russ on a good team vs Russ on a bad team. Yes, KG's team only made it past the first round once, and probably would have won the title if both of their point guards had not fallen. One could make a very strong case that making the play-offs every year was a great achievement for the Wolves in the KG era. Lebron's teams did'nt do it. It was more like Larry Bird's Indiana State team going to the NCAA finals with Bird as the only quality player on the team, than great teams playing against each other. Most sports writers write what sells, and major in journalism, not Basketball. The truth can be more complex.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

Don't use "quality of players on the team" as an excuse. Tim Duncan won 2 more championships, 2005 and 2007, after David Robinson retired.

We all love KG, but let's give credit where credit is due. Duncan has more rings and MVP trophies, give him the respect that he deserves.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Interesting responses.

P34, I guess then that Magic was better than Bird in College because Magics team won? 

Celtic Fan, KG did not play Power forward until his 2004, his league MVP year, on a regular basis. Before that he played mostly small forward. Duncan started playing with Robinson and others.

Now that KG is on a great Celtic team, we can all see what he can do.

As for McHale, one of KG's mentors, go to NBA reference.com and compare careers. Statistics like 1st team all NBA, league MVP, and other criterion make the case. McHale, was a great low post player, but he was third best power forward of his era. Malone and Barkley were both considered better players.

My point of view... comes from the following backround

It was watching the 80's Celtics that made me an NBA fan. Before that I only had occational interest.

I am originally from Minnesota, and now reside in New England. Kevin McHale and Larry Bird were always my number one and number two NBA favorites until KG showed up. Now it is Bird, KG, and McHale. McHale was fun to watch at the U
    of M and even more fun to watch as the Celtics "black hole".  He did try to teach KG "footwork", but KG would always get called for traveling, for good reason. KG instead copied much of Olajuwon's offensive moves, but he still uses McHale once in a while.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

A very interesting post with good arguments, but one part I don`t understand.

[QUOTE]Duncan was better from the early point in his career (better rebounder and scorer - check the stats of both of their early careers).  A lot of that is because Duncan stayed 4 years and was NBA ready while KG came from high school and took about 4 years to reach double digit rebounds and 20 ppg.  Check the stats.     Duncan has had the longer outstanding career and for that reason, I give him the edge.[/QUOTE]

Why had Duncan a longer outstanding career?
    You said it yourself. Duncan played college ball for 4 years and Garnett learned for 4 years at Pro level. I guess 4 years are 4 years, right? Then the amount of years at Top Level in the NBA is about the same...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting responses. P34, I guess then that Magic was better than Bird in College because Magics team won?  Celtic Fan, KG did not play Power forward until his 2004, his league MVP year, on a regular basis. Before that he played mostly small forward. Duncan started playing with Robinson and others. Now that KG is on a great Celtic team, we can all see what he can do. As for McHale, one of KG's mentors, go to NBA reference.com and compare careers. Statistics like 1st team all NBA, league MVP, and other criterion make the case. McHale, was a great low post player, but he was third best power forward of his era. Malone and Barkley were both considered better players.   My point of view... comes from the following backround It was watching the 80's Celtics that made me an NBA fan. Before that I only had occational interest. I am originally from Minnesota, and now reside in New England. Kevin McHale and Larry Bird were always my number one and number two NBA favorites until KG showed up. Now it is Bird, KG, and McHale. McHale was fun to watch at the U of M and even more fun to watch as the Celtics "black hole".  He did try to teach KG "footwork", but KG would always get called for traveling, for good reason. KG instead copied much of Olajuwon's offensive moves, but he still uses McHale once in a while.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you why Duncan is slightly better than KG. Duncan can guard Dwight Howard and the Shaq of the Lakers. KG needs Perk to guard Dwight and he needed Ervin Johnson to guard Shaq. The point is Duncan is as good a PF as he is a Center.

Sections
Shortcuts