CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE KG VS. GASOL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE KG VS. GASOL

Until KG wins that elusive 2nd ring how dominant a player KG is will always be up for debate. The main reason for that is he needed 2 hall of famers in Pierce and Ray just to get 1 ring.

Duncan had quality players around him like Manu and Tony Parker. But THEY ARE NOT hall of famers. 

It's crap if some of you guys say Larry Bird got a lot of assists because he had great players around him and KG got less assists because he was surrounded by 2 future hall of famers in Ray and Pierce.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

KG destroying Vince Carter in the 2003 All-Star game DID NOT RESULT IN A RING. It did not even give the Timberwolves home court advantage in the playoffs.

If the Spurs have another 50-win season this year it will be the 12th straight season that the Spurs had 50 or more wins. I believe it was Pat Riley who said "No Rebounds No Rings." Rick Fox also said "Championships are Won in the Paint." It's pretty obvious, if you control the paint you control the game. That's what makes Tim Duncan so great, he's a dominant inside the paint player.

Again, it's unfortunate that KG does not have the bulk to bang inside. And those fall-away jumpers are great if they keep falling, if it misses it's one and done. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Bill Russell thinks highly of Timmy.

Wish there was more of the conversation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YUWC7Jd2_c

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Nit picking. I am not sure what that has to do the price of bread but you are welcome to your pin pricks.

Magic did play center and did an amazing job at 6'9" tall. KG has played all five positions effectively as the evidence shows.  

As the New York times sports writer, and Sanders said,  KG had his hands full guarding everyone from Shaq to Kobe to Fisher. I saw the game, and even in a loss, it was amazing. When you look at the the game, after the fact, from statics it is not the same thing, especially when your trying to see the glass as half empty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Maybe destroying Vin-Sanity in an all star game did not win a ring, but it does show that he was head and shoulders above the other small forwards in the league while playing small forward (literally and figuratively).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE KG VS. GASOL:
    [QUOTE]Nit picking. I am not sure what that has to do the price of bread but you are welcome to your pin pricks. Magic did play center and did an amazing job at 6'9" tall. KG has played all five positions effectively as the evidence shows.   As the New York times sports writer, and Sanders said,  KG had his hands full guarding everyone from Shaq to Kobe to Fisher. I saw the game, and even in a loss, it was amazing. When you look at the the game, after the fact, from statics it is not the same thing, especially when your trying to see the glass as half empty.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

OK, so KG played every position in that game. In the end did the Wolves win?

You dare compare what KG did in the 2004 West Finals to what Magic did in the 1980 Finals, not even close! What made Magic Johnson so special that night was the Lakers ended up winning!

The NY Times doesn't need to print an article regarding how Tim Duncan dominates the paint because Duncan has been doing for 14 years now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe destroying Vin-Sanity in an all star game did not win a ring, but it does show that he was head and shoulders above the other small forwards in the league while playing small forward (literally and figuratively).

What's more important, being head and shoulders above the other small forwards in the league and not winning a championship, or dominating the paint and ending up with multiple titles?

You think the fans and team owners care about being head and shoulders above the other small forwards in the league? Fans and team owners only want one thing from their big man, WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Bill Russell is a gentleman of the first order.

He also had great things to say about KG.

You tube -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1y7-mUCTo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

as Jump said this article puts things in perspective as well as I can-

Here is an interesting viewpoint by someone else comparing Duncan and KG after he was traded to the Celtics.

http://obeese.wordpress.com/2007/12/22/kevin-garnett-vs-tim-duncan-the-great-debate/

Kevin Garnett vs. Tim Duncan: The Great Debate Rages On

The debate has been renewed since Garnett was traded to Boston for a package of 7 players and future draft picks July 31st, 2007.

KG vs. TD.

In a way, this is the modern day version of Wilt vs. Russell

Both are giants who own the paint.  Their defense and rebounding are renowned throughout the basketball world.  They’ve battled head-to-head for years.  One has the championships, the other the better numbers.  One has spent his entire career as the face of his franchise, the other has finally found himself teamed up with a cast of characters worthy of his greatness. 

The difference this time: the Celtic isn’t the winner.

That is not to say that KG is a loser, he simply hasn’t won it all.  Like Wilt, there is no denying his greatness; just watch one game and you will understand Garnett.  He is a dominant player, a dominant personality, and the de facto captain no matter what the media guide tells us about the Celtics being Paul Pierce’s team.

The twist in the comparison is this: while Duncan emulates Russell by having already won 4 NBA championships and 3 Finals MVPs for the game’s most recent dynasty, his defense and team-first style perfectly parallels that of Kevin Garnett. 

This has always led folks to wonder, if we simply switched the two players, would the results be the same or different?

I say the results would be eerily similar, as no one man can win a championship by himself.  The precursor to this comparison proves that point–Wilt Chamberlain, the man who put up 30 points, 23 rebounds, and 4 and a half assists per game over his career, the man who averaged a whopping 48.5 minutes and 50.4 points per game in the 1961-62 season, could not do it alone.  (Unfortunately steals and blocks were not recorded as official NBA statistics until after Wilt and Russell’s careers ended, so the defensive part of the debate is much more difficult to quantify statistically.)

There really is no definitive answer in this debate; this is not like Brady vs. Manning, where both are great, but one has proven he can elevate lesser surrounding talent to championship levels OR take his team to historic dominance when supplied with comparable talent.  This debate features two equally talented, sure-fire Hall-of-Famers: one who has won with great teams and one who has toiled in mediocrity for the majority of his professional life.

The beauty of this debate is that we don’t yet have to come to a conclusion, the battle still rages on.  After a reprisal from basketball purgatory, Garnett finds himself leading the Boston Celtics to an NBA-best record of 21-3, with a legitimate chance to meet up with Duncan’s Spurs in this year’s Finals. 

Now that The Big Ticket and The Big Fundamentals find themselves competing in a fair fight, the only real justice would be for the two greatest power forwards of their generation to meet in June and finally settle this debate once and for all.

After this year, I like KG's chances of renewing the "great debate".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

It's pretty clear now that Jump and TeamUbuntu are one and the same person.

And like that article said, the Celtic is not the winner.

"The difference this time: the Celtic isn’t the winner."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Still pin pricking?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Thank you, I think?

This the third time on this thread that you have tried to make things personal.

I think what has been bothering me for a while is that you jump on any positive comment about KG. Statements that you have made like ... stupid, and ridiculous have been proven to be wrong. Why? I think you are a Celtic fan and I know you are a Pierce fan.

Thats it, isn't it! If KG is a great player, then it diminishes Pierce's contribution!

Wow, that is low..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Ha ha,

So how many 1st team all NBA teams has Paul Pierce made?

Pierce is a great player, however, unfortunately, he has never been 1st team all NBA. That is OK because as a role player that has been exceptional. He should not be judged on that statistics, because he is a better clutch shooter than the best player KG. He will get his number retired because KG does not care who scores the most points. It is true that KG scored more points in the NBA playoffs than any other Celtic player in 2008, but during the reguar season, Pierce scored more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoraG1. Show NoraG1's posts

If you actually read the article PP the Spur wasn't the winner either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you, I think? This the third time on this thread that you have tried to make things personal. I think what has been bothering me for a while is that you jump on any positive comment about KG. Statements that you have made like ... stupid, and ridiculous have been proven to be wrong. Why? I think you are a Celtic fan and I know you are a Pierce fan. Thats it, isn't it! If KG is a great player, then it diminishes Pierce's contribution! Wow, that is low..
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime[/QUOTE]

What's low is you can't win the argument so you resort to making up stuff.

This is not about Paul Pierce. The fact that Pierce won the Finals MVP in 2008 already told us that Pierce is the Celtics' best player. Even Doc Rivers said it a number of times, Pierce is the Celtics' best player. 

All your positives comments about KG were based on what he did in Minnesota. Like the 2003 All-Star game where he destroyed Vince Carter. Or the 2004 West Finals where KG played SOME PG, KG DID NOT START AT PG IN ANY OF THOSE GAMES!

Again, all I'm saying is Tim Duncan is slightly better than KG because Tim is a better inside the paint player. On defense KG has the advantage because of his speed and quickness. That's why KG can cover smaller players, he's more of a PF with the speed and quickness of a SF. 

Tim Duncan does one thing very well, he dominates the paint both on offense and defense. The NBA is not the NFL, players play offense and defense in the NBA. Playing close to the basket gives him the opportunity to get offensive rebounds when he misses a shot. 

KG on the other hand is not a back to the basket player, he loves to shoot from the outside. If the shot goes in great, if it misses it's usually one and done.

It's also true that saying that KG is better than Duncan because he destroyed Vince Carter in the 2003 All-Star game is pretty stupid and ridiculous. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoraG1. Show NoraG1's posts

[QUOTE]It's pretty clear now that Jump and TeamUbuntu are one and the same person. And like that article said, the Celtic is not the winner. "The difference this time: the Celtic isn’t the winner."
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

So it is not possible that these 2 people could possibly not agree with you. I am neither of them and I disagree with your nitpicking

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Ha ha, So how many 1st team all NBA teams has Paul Pierce made? Pierce is a great player, however, unfortunately, he has never been 1st team all NBA. That is OK because as a role player that has been exceptional. He should not be judged on that statistics, because he is a better clutch shooter than the best player KG. He will get his number retired because KG does not care who scores the most points. It is true that KG scored more points in the NBA playoffs than any other Celtic player in 2008, but during the reguar season, Pierce scored more.

It's true, Pierce is not on the same level with Kobe and Lebron. KG is even more valuable than Paul Pierce. The thing is what makes Pierce better than KG is Pierce's ability to score from the outside, inside, perimeter, driving to the basket, and he draws a lot of fouls. Don't forget that you have to score points to win.

Pierce goes to the FT line a lot because he initiates contact. KG, for a PF, doesn't get to the line more often because the majority of his offense is from outside shots. 

And if you want to talk about All-NBA 1st teams again don't forget that KG has been on the 1st team 4 times and Duncan 9 times. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]If you actually read the article PP the Spur wasn't the winner either.
    Posted by NoraG1[/QUOTE]

That's because the battle still rages on. If KG wins another ring the debate about who's better between Tim Duncan and KG will end as a draw. The problem is until that happens Duncan still has a slight edge.

Why did the Blazers pick Greg Oden instead of Kevin Durant?

Why did the Rockets pick Olajuwon instead of Michael Jordan?

Why did the Orlando Magic pick Shaq instead of Alonzo Mourning?

I think the answer is pretty obvious, a big man that is a dominant inside player only comes once every 10 years.

Would the Celtics have picked Keith Van Horn in the 2007 Draft if they had the #1 pick?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I knew it. Pride comes before the fall. Have a strong drink, and return to the game. The Celtics are a great team with great players, and Ducan will have to deal with it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE KG VS. GASOL : So it is not possible that these 2 people could possibly not agree with you. I am neither of them and I disagree with your nitpicking
    Posted by NoraG1[/QUOTE]

Tell that to a 5th grader. How sure are we that you're not Jump or TeamUbuntu?

You only have 12 posts since 2008, 7 of your posts are on this thread. Are you using 3 accounts to make it look that more people agree that KG is better than Duncan?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]I knew it. Pride comes before the fall. Have a strong drink, and return to the game. The Celtics are a great team with great players, and Ducan will have to deal with it.

So now your argument is I don't want KG to look good so that Pierce will not look bad. 

Am I lying when I say Doc said a number of times that Pierce is the Celtics' best player?

Am I lying when I say KG doesn't get to the FT line more often because he shoots a lot of outside shots?

You say Pierce couldn't possibly be better than KG because Pierce never made it to the All-NBA 1st team. If that's your argument then clearly Duncan is better than KG because Duncan made it 9 times while KG only made it 4 times. And Duncan was immediately 1st team All-NBA when he was a rookie, KG didn't make 1st team until Charles Barkley retired.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

I new  it !  It is all about Pierce, not KG!

Ha Ha.

Merry Christmas!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]I new  it !  It is all about Pierce, not KG! Ha Ha. Merry Christmas!

That is so lame.

The debate was about Duncan and KG and you're using my being a Paul Pierce fan as an excuse. That's so pathetic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Almost as pathetic as your personal attacks, but not quite. I guess it hit home.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Almost as pathetic as your personal attacks, but not quite. I guess it hit home.

The idea that Larry Bird gets more assists because he was surrounded by great players and KG getting more assists in Minny than Boston because he was surrounded by less talented players is ridiculous.

Using an All-Star game to gauge a player's abilities is stupid. An All-Star game is just like preseason, it doesn't count!

Where's the personal attacks there? 

I'm just telling the truth.